Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

May 20th, 2005, 8:38 pm #11

Yes, yes: I know about the man who shoots you and blames you for squirting blood. People who listen to Rubel's sermons come home and read my direct quotes and review by lunch time and then call me a liar!

I looked like I was quoting from a book and just left out the page numbers. Perhaps you could have asked for page numbers without bringing up the question of whether I was just making the stuff up. I don't HAVE to make stuff up: fiction in the religious novels is stranger than truth and twice as bizarre as black holes they SAY sucked up all of the truth.

Rubel just did a three lesson series on postmodernism somewhere but I don't INTEND to buy the CDs.

http://www.tulsaworkshop.org/speakers/

I will do some abstracts about the other thing you missed and thought maybe I just made up. Wow! That is truly kinder and gentler. I begin on page 114.

I don't believe that you can read the depth of Rubel's stuff without grasping the code words. You have to crack them open and parse them into thoughts and then look up his always-misquoted authorities. Ken

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

May 21st, 2005, 5:08 pm #12

THE JESUS PROPOSAL: RUBEL SHELLY AND JOHN YORK

Rubel Shelly and John York claim that as Jesus Christ was the First Incarnation of God as WORD, CULTURAL CHANGES mean that the CHURCH is to be a Second Incarnation of the Word.

Individuals cause division and therefore have NO RIGHT to read and understand the Word for themselves. The true meaning of MODERNISM which they hate seems to be that EVERYONE HAD A RIGHT TO READ THE BIBLE FOR THEMSELVES.
Claiming to be scientists they think that the post-modern era demands that interpreting the Bible must be yanked back under the hands of SCHOLARS or the commune. Only the COMMUNITY (commune) has the right to interpret using the GROUP MIND. But, we have looked at enough SELF-PROMOTED scholars to understand what Jesus meant when He accused them of TAKING AWAY the key to knowledge. Quoting from their book:
  • <font color=red>Rubel Shelly and John York: Our proposal to focus on Jesus means that Scripture is NO LONGER a set of proof-texts or a collection of facts or God's rulebook for human behavior. Scripture is the unfolding story of God acting both to create and to re-create. It is not an easy book to understand. It was NEVER intended as a document to [115] be INDIVIDUALLY read and interpreted--a sort~of correspondence course in salvation. </font>
Isn't it a bit childish to keep on repudiating God's right to regulate our faith and practice? Certainly there are rules: thou shalt not "steal the church house of widows." Thou shalt not call God a liar by rejecting His Living presence as the Word.
  • <font color=red>Rubel Shelly and John York: Prior to the invention of the printing press, access to the content of Scripture was oral. For thousands of years it could only be heard and interpreted in the context of community. Yes, INDIVIDUALS could comment on Scripture, but those comments were always for the LARGER hearing of the community. Only after there was INDIVIDUAL access did there become an opportunity for an individual, isolated reading and interpretation that had no need or use for community. </font>
On the contrary, before movable type most of the great church theologians had written and published their works. Many men such as Heredotus hand copied his text and attended trade fairs and sold copies. Others continued to copy so that there was no lack of access. The church chained the Bible to the pulpit to keep it from getting stolen. The Gutenberg bible was completed in about 1455.
  • <font color=red>Rubel Shelly and John York: Just as identity in Christ is always COMMUNITY identity, our reading of Scripture becomes a COMMUNITY READING as well. , While we still have access to reading as individuals, we stop asking, "What does this mean to me?"--as though there is such an isolated meaning. Instead we have a GROUP MENTALITY that asks, "What does this mean to US?" More importantly, we lay aside INDIVIDUAL interpretations precisely because they are inevitably argumentative and divisive. We GIVE UP the right of individual interpretation and take on the accountability of SHARED READING. This is not a pooling of collective ignorance. The Bible is full of stories from ancient and often quite alien cultural settings and belief systems, and we cannot ignore those differences. So we listen to the voices of scholarship just as we listen to the child who intuitively hears what God is saying in a particular story. </font>
When Jesus went out to preach He did not call the "community." When He spoke of GIVING He insisted that the "community" had nothing to do with it. When He spoke of prayer He insisted that worship in the NEW PLACE of the HUMAN SPIRIT must be done totally alone just as only ONE priest could enter into the Most Holy Place. Paul never promised CUMMUNING but of SCATTERING and persecution. Jesus died to remove the COMMUNITY from off our backs so that we can come to Him and REST from "anxiety producing religious rituals." Jesus defined His presence in the ekklesia, synagogue or SCHOOL OF CHRIST as involving two or three gathered in HIS name and not in the name of a performing preacher or MUSICA team used to HURT people and call it the Holy Spirit.

Peter outlawed such interpretation just as Jesus repudiated the Doctors of the Law. Peter was an EYE-WITNESS and therefore Shelly and York cannot be latter day apostles to deliver the Word in the form of a COMMUNE taxing people Jesus died to free.

Burden as CEREMONY and extra TAXES is guaranteed when the CHURCH takes on the tasks which belong to Caesar:
  • <font color=blue>Phoros (g5411) for'-os; from 5342; a load (as borne,) i.e. (fig.) a tax (prop. an individ. assessment on persons or property; whereas 5056 is usually a gen. toll on goods or travel): - tribute.

Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth. 2 Pet 1:12
    Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; 2 Pet 1:13
    Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me. 2 Pet 1:14
    Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things alway in remembrance. 2 Pet 1:15 </font>
WHY REJECTING THE TEXT BLASPHEMES GOD
  • <font color=blue>For we have NOT followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 2 Pet 1:16

For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. 2 Pet 1:17

And this voice which came from heaven WE HEARD, when we were with him in the holy mount. 2 Pet 1:18

We have also a MORE sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye TAKE HEED, as unto a LIGHT that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the DAY STAR arise in your hearts: 2 Pet 1:19</font>
We WORSHIP whatever we GIVE ATTENTION TO. People hate the Bible and warn of idolatry for trusting the ONCE DELIVERED WORD. However, to give heed to God we must give heed to His Word:
  • <font color=blue>Proserchomai (g4334) pros-er'-khom-ahee; from 4314 and 2064 (includ. its alt.); to approach, i.e. (lit.) come near, visit, or (fig.) worship, assent to: - (as soon as he) come (unto), come thereunto, consent, draw near, go (near, to, unto). </font>
WHY IS IT THAT WE SHOULD REJOICE IN SOLA SCRIPTURA? It is either the words of Lord Jesus Christ through an inspired Apostle or it is through a SELF-PROCLAIMED LATTER DAY APOSTLE. Peter speaking for Lord Jesus Christ gave NO ONE the right to INTERPRET the Word. The command of the Word is to "teach the Word as it has been taught" without trying to INJECT false dogma by claiming to be the SECOND INCARNATION. What happened the FIRST TIME?
  • <font color=blue>Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any PRIVATE INTERPRETATION. 2 Pet 1:20 </font>
Because Peter said
  • <font color=blue>Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. 1 Peter 1:11 </font>
INTERPRETATION IS
  • <font color=blue>Epilusis (g1955) ep-il'-oo-sis; from 1956; explanation, i.e. APPLICATION: - interpretation.
    Epiluo (g1956) ep-ee-loo'-o; from 1909 and 3089; to solve further, i.e. (fig.) to explain, decide: - determine, EXPOUND. </font>
What was Paul saying when he DEMANDED that the elders (as the pastor teachers) "teach that which has been taught" and "refute those who contradict it?" Do we need a COMMUNE with a GROUP MIND to explain what Peter meant?

Peter made it very clear but the Phds for which there was no "certificate of need" have to turn the Bible upside down or go down in history as taking from the poor. There is NO community which can with a straight face claim that THE AUDIENCE is incompetent and the GROUP MIND--led by the GROUP LEADER--must INTERPRET the Bible which needs little interpretation unless you INTEND to repudiate Jesus as the Living Word who supplied the Written Word.

Jesus outlawed the Doctors of the Law because they "took away the key to knowledge." Peter was given the keys but HE rejected the idea of continuing revelation. All of the rhetoricians, sOPHISts (serpents), singers, musicians and technikrats in the church fulfilled self-selected roles as SORCERERS. Revelation 18 reveals the fact that the harlot church will be LOADED DOWN with "ministers" pretending to fulfill these functions. Because they performed no useful role they were deemed PARASITES. Pharisees (false preachers), Scribe (false book writers) and Hypocrites (actors, musicians).

The deviant musicians tried to "make a place for themselves in the mainstreem" even though the CHARISMATICS both repulsed and attracted people like a TRAIN WRECK.
  • <font color=blue>And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee; Rev 18:22

Mousikos (g3451) moo-sik-os'; from Moåusa , (a Muse); "musical", i.e. (as noun) a minstrel: - musician</font>
The "muses" were the "worship team" of Apollo, Abaddon or Apollyon . The LOCUSTS or "musical performers" in Legend had the power to PUT YOU TO SLEEP but they had the STING of a Scorpion. History is agreed that MUSIC stings you before you begin to FEEL SPIRITUAL.
  • <font color=blue>musica , ae, and musice- , e-s, f., = mousikê, the ART of music, music; acc. to the notions of the ancients, also every higher kind of artistic or scientific culture or pursuit: musicam Damone aut Aristoxeno tractante?

Similar meaning: exegetice , es, f., = exêgêtikê, the art of interpretation, exegesis
    magice- , e-s, f., = magikê (sc. technê), the magic art, magic, SORCERY , medicinam magices factio

Music has always produced FACTIONS or SECTARIANS:

factio , o-nis, f. [id.] II. (Acc. to facio, II. B.; lit., a taking part or SIDING with any one; hence concr.) A company of persons associated or acting together, a class, order, SECT, faction, party (syn.: pars, partes, causa, rebellio, perduellio, seditio).

B. In partic., a company of political adherents or partisans, a party, side, faction

magia , ae, f., = mageia, the science of the MAGI, magic, sorcery

mageia , hê, theology of the Magians, m. hê Zôroastrou Pl.Alc.1.122a .</font>
FURTHER REASONS FOR NOT CHANGING SAVIOURS:
  • <font color=blue>For the prophecy came not in OLD TIME by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Pet 1:21

BUT there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you , who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that BOUGHT them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 Peter 2:1 </font>
Prively means leads in aside, introduce surreptitiously. That means INFILTRATE and DIVERT.
The meaning of the GOSPEL is FREE WATER OF THE WORD. Jesus bought us all. Therefore, anyone who peddles the free Word and denies its power DENIES the Lord that bought them. The Postmodern "scholars" totally deny that the Lord Jesus Christ had the POWER to purchase them with a PRICE and a MESSAGE of good news which could survive OUR culture. The Biblical facts can be perverted but they cannot be HAMMERED out of the Bible.

Paul and peter laid down the MARK: you can tell FALSE TEACHERS if they refuse to teach the word "as it has been taught." Any modern sermonizing opens the door for the false teachers to come in: trained as PROPHETS, CHANELLERS and FACILITATORS.

You say, Whoa! This cannot be happening among OUR scholars. Sure, you just read any of the stuff and it is like a game to see who can pervert the Bible and history the most: the winner gets to be SCHOLAR OF THE YEAR and all of the little scholarettes WILL NOT get their degrees unless they join in the circle. Don't let them take you captive. Read the Word.

Ken Sublett
Rubel, who does NOT believe that the Bible is useful for faith and practice BEYOND seven facts ABOUT Jesus, intends to destroy Bible-based churches which his Christian Church friends call SECTS. Rubel and John etal are in a new PARTNERSHIP with God like the first believers "Worked out their SCRIPTURES with fear and trembling." NO LONGER means that pre-Rubel and the Book Circle of self-annointed apostles and prophets the Bible USED to be the source of faith and practice. "But, WE, gotta new set of glasses and we get visions and hear words."
  • Rubel Shelly and John York:<font color=red> [p. 114] Our proposal to focus on Jesus means that Scripture is NO LONGER a set of proof-texts or a collection of facts or God's rulebook for human behavior. Scripture is the unfolding story of God acting both to create and to re-create. It is not an easy book to understand.
    • It was NEVER intended as a document to [p. 115] be INDIVIDUALLY read and interpreted--a sort~of correspondence course in salvation.
    </font>
But, that is exactly what the OLD BIBLE claims for itself from beginning to the end.
  • <font color=blue>For we do not write you anything you cannot read or understand. And I hope that, 2Co.1:13

as you have understood us in part, you will come to understand fully that you can boast of us just as we will boast of you in the day of the Lord Jesus. 2 Cor 1:14 </font>
But, you whine: "That is from the Epistles of The Apostles and NOT from the Apostates of the Profits." YOU don't have AUTHORITY to do that. Why, Layton will threaten you witl a LAWSUIT. YOU have to grasp that Rubel and John and Wes and ALL the band have given THEMSELVES the right to TAKE LIBERTIES and write THEMSELVES In as Moses or Christ. What they MEAN is that if THEY had partnered with God THEY would not have included what everyone admits is STILL there in black ink on white paper.

In a box on page 114 Rubel "quotes?"
  • <font color=red>As we go to the cradle only in order to find the baby, so we go to the Scriptures only to find Christ. Martin Luther. </font>
Of course, you cannot be a Phd and ever have let your sponsor catch you reading ORIGINAL LUTHER. Of course, if YOU gonna get your still-bleeding sheep skin then YOU gonna quote from MY book which I quote from from YOUR book which YOU quote from MAX who--low and behold FICTIONALIZES FACTS.

Rubel thinks that to KNOW ONLY CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED means to PREACH only Jesus and Him crucified. That is the FALSE DOGMA which underlies the most destructive heresy--counting numbers--in church history. What Paul said that he would LIVE LIKE JESUS CHRIST Who--even as God--abandoned Himself to let mankind SLAUGHTER Him along with the MOCKING music as the ONLY way to draw people to the SACRIFICIAL LIFE.

The JUST JESUS is JUST a lie to live like AGRIPPA with his own musical Seeker Center. He, too, was consumed with maggots while he lived.

But, we are not a PROFIT so we goona risk threats from Layton and we gonna quote you some of the OLDEN stuff before it got SHOT AWAY with postmodern eyeballs:

<font color=blue>THE SPIRITUAL INTERPRETATION OF THIS GOSPEL.

A sermon by Martin Luther from his Wartburg Church Postil, 1521-1522</font>

Now, Rubel and John and Wes are just JOKING. Ha, Ha! WE gonna write YOU into poverty and write US into living on the BACKS of widows and orphans because WE figured out that YOU will not know when we are lying or dying.

<font color=blue>25. But what IS IT to find Christ in such POVERTY, and what his swaddling clothes and manger signify, are explained in the previous Gospel;
  • that his poverty teaches how we should find him in our neighbors, the lowliest and the most needy; and his swaddling clothes are the holy Scriptures; that in actual life we should incline to the needy;

and in our studies and contemplative life ONLY to the Scriptures;

in order that Christ alone may become the man of both lives and that he may everywhere stand before us.

We should shun the books of Aristotle, of the pope, and of ALL MEN, or read them in a way that we do not seek the edification of the soul in them; but with them make use of the time and this life, as one teaches a trade or civil law.

However it is not in vain that St. Luke places Mary before Joseph, and both of them before the child and says: "And they found both Mary and Joseph, and the babe lying in the manger."
In Martin Luther's words, just as a mother goes to the cradle only to find the baby, we go to the Bible only to find Christ. </font>

But, Rubel quotes but does not tell you the REST OF THE STORY. So, Layton, I gonna STEAL some more words from the OLDEN LUTHER. Ok?

<font color=blue> It is the Bible's primary purpose to bring men to their Savior by arousing the beginnings of faith.

But this is not the only practical function it aims to fulfil.
Peter and the author of the letter to the Hebrews use the analogy of birth and growth to illustrate a further purpose of Scripture. Those who have put their trust in Jesus as Saviour 'have been born anew… through the living and abiding word of God' : but, like all new-born babes, they must ' long for the pure spiritual milk' of the word if they are to survive and grow; and once beyond babyhood they need solid food - which is the meat of God's word.( 1Peter1 :23/1 Peter 2:2/Hebrews5 :12 -14).

This growth process is above all, a growing up in relationship with God.
  • It is the Bible's function to FEED the personal knowledge of the Father which the Christian child enjoys.

And enjoy is exactly the right word, because as the believer learns more about of his delight becomes more intense.

That is why Bible study should never be dull for a Christian. 'Your words' cries out Jeremiah , ' became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by your name, O, Lord, God of hosts. '

Any personal relationship is fostered by words, and through the pages of the Bible the Christian hears God speaking to him; an experience, says the Psalmist, that is 'sweeter than honey' .
</font>Martin who invented SOLA SCRIPTURA says that "faith alone comes from the BIBLE ALONG and because the Bible teaches BAPTISM our salvation is by Baptism Alone" because He says, Christ put the power in the WATER. Furthermore, we know that God put His Full Deity in a man made up mostly of Water. If God cannot put the power in HIS WORDS and in baptism they YOU HAVE DENIED that Christ came fully in the flesh.

What about them cow chips, Layton?

More to follow, Ken

Jimmy Wren
Jimmy Wren

May 15th, 2006, 6:37 am #13

Twickenham Church of Christ:
7500 Whitesburg Dr.
Huntsville, AL 35802

Rubel Shelly will be our guest speaker Sunday May 14th and 28th.
Jerome Williams will lead singing on May 14th.
Please join us to worship the Almighty God together at 9:00.

This could be the same church that watches the Andy Griffith show during Bible class.

In Christ,

Jimmy

B
B

May 16th, 2006, 7:49 pm #14

There are plenty of Biblical principles in the Andy Griffith Show. There is a study centered around it which uses scripture. It's not just 25 minutes of Andy then everyone leaves. Hmmm, an earthly story with a scriptural principle...sounds a little like the parables.

Are there any other visual aids that help people learn about scripture that we should do away with?

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

May 17th, 2006, 4:35 am #15

Rubel and the Twickingham fella were key bedfellows in the JUBILEE which has more end-time symbolism than anyone wants to read about.

The problem is that Jesus commanded even for the "church in the wilderness" the assembly WITHOUT loud instruments or "making a joyful noise" because that meant WARFARE consistent with the end time apollo prophecy. He exampled and Paul commanded in many places that we "speak that which is written" with ONE MIND and ONE MOUTH as the only way to EDUCATE, glorify God and keep the unity.

The ekklesia was quite identical to the synagogue which "had no praise service" because if your IQ is as long as your shoe lace and you have an ounce of common decency and reverence you will not replace Jesus with Andy (whose gender I never figured) or with Jerome selling CDs and bookings.

There was a LAW against allegorical preaching and Peter outlawed "private interpretation" which means FURTHER EXPOUNDING. Singing as an ACT was not added for almost four centuries and about the time PREACHING was added as a heresy other than reading and dialoging the Word "as it has been taught." That is the direct command to Timothy for "holding services."

All of the PANIC as MARKED by music expresses a TOTAL LOSS of faith and a desperate effort to destroy INDIVIDUAL rights and cluster in a COMMUNE (community). That may mean "calling for the Rocks and rolls" to fall on them. See the Jesus Proposal

http://www.piney.com/Jesus.Proposal.Book.html

Like the Aztez Jubilee (one of Rubel's PATTERNISMS), the exhibition of the SECTARIAN Hypocrites (rhetoricians, sOPHISts (serpents), singers, musicians and CRAFTSMEN (theater builders and stage managers), is a CONFESSED effort to COME TO THE AID of Jesus who didn't quite establish His Kingdom. ALL praise singing is a superstitious fertility practice (real and virtual) intending to replace God to GIVE THE INCREASE.

Andy is a CRUTCH for someone who has NOTHING to say and gets TOO MUCH unlawful money to say it, say it, say it, say it....

It all fits the PATTERNISM laid out in intimate detail by John in Revelation defining the harlot church whose MUSIC and MUSICIANS were SORCERERS. ZOE is called the "beast and female instructing principle" and from hordes of data MUSIC is the MARK of the beast: it unlawfully molests the human mind to force the hands to hang slack (slack, slack, slack, limp).

I lived there: it was NEVER like Mayberry and NEVER like the Waltons. Barney was ok but his charter was QUEER and that fits the eternal patternism of music.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 17th, 2006, 3:55 pm #16

"Andy is a CRUTCH for someone who has NOTHING to say and gets TOO MUCH unlawful money to say it, say it, say it, say it...."

Andy is a method of illustrating BIBLICAL truths. They are modern-day parables. No one is suggesting replacing Jesus with Andy. People are using Andy (who they have seen) to help people understand Jesus (who they have not seen). It's no different than any other illustration that preachers and Bible class teachers use.

PPB
PPB

May 17th, 2006, 5:36 pm #17

There are plenty of Biblical principles in the Andy Griffith Show. There is a study centered around it which uses scripture. It's not just 25 minutes of Andy then everyone leaves. Hmmm, an earthly story with a scriptural principle...sounds a little like the parables.

Are there any other visual aids that help people learn about scripture that we should do away with?
Are you guys telling me that a church studies the Andy Griffith show for "Christian lessons"? Please tell me that's just a joke. Please...

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

May 18th, 2006, 4:56 am #18

"Andy is a CRUTCH for someone who has NOTHING to say and gets TOO MUCH unlawful money to say it, say it, say it, say it...."

Andy is a method of illustrating BIBLICAL truths. They are modern-day parables. No one is suggesting replacing Jesus with Andy. People are using Andy (who they have seen) to help people understand Jesus (who they have not seen). It's no different than any other illustration that preachers and Bible class teachers use.
The Andy Griffith Show, a situation comedy of all things, occasionally shows the principal characters sitting in church or standing and singing a few traditional hymns with instrumental accompaniment. I remember one episode in which the regular pastor gave up his pulpit to a visiting pastor, who spoke of nothing but "relaxing" and slowing down in life from the hustle and bustle. In other words, the sermon was nothing more than a motivational speech. There was neither exposition of Scripture nor teaching of New Testament doctrine. The show couldn't do that, because TV executives would not have tolerated it. But they would accept subtle references to "religion" as long as the show didn't get dogmatic and "preachy."

As far as the rest of the AGS goes, examples like Opie learning responsibility by taking care of baby birds, whose mother he had accidentally killed with a slingshot, are nice human-interest stories with a moral lesson, but Christians have no monopoly on morality. Anyone can be a moral, upstanding citizen who would give you the shirt off his back and still be the biggest atheist, agnostic, and skeptic in the world. The AGS portrays decency and morality, but it does not teach Christianity. I don't recall ever hearing the words "Jesus," "salvation," "remission of sins," "Son of God," "repentance," "forgiveness," "Lord's Supper," "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved," and so forth on the AGS. Barney Fife did once mention the word "sin" upon exiting the church, but he had fallen asleep during the sermon and tried to cover his bumble when the pastor asked his opinion of the sermon, which had been about a subject other than sin. The line was intended to elicit a laugh from the viewers. So much for "Christianity" from the the AGS.

It is a mistake to use sitcoms and similar TV programs as Sunday school lessons, because they do not present didactic, in-depth biblical teaching and study. The Scriptures themselves must be studied first-hand. The AGS and similar G-rated sitcoms are nothing more than light family entertainment and should serve no other purpose. But if folks are bent on utilizing TV programming for Sunday school, why stop with the AGS? Surely someone could find something "decent" and "loving" in a show like Sex and the City to present as a teaching topic.

B
B

May 18th, 2006, 4:02 pm #19

Are you guys telling me that a church studies the Andy Griffith show for "Christian lessons"? Please tell me that's just a joke. Please...
Here's the description from the ChristianBook.com website.

"A fishin' pole-totin' sheriff, a bumbling deputy, and a cherub-faced little boy are your guides through this unique examination of the popular '60s TV show in light of biblical teaching. Return to simpler days when values like honesty, caring, integrity, and responsibility were truly appreciated. Provides a synopsis of 30 episodes, including photographs."

Yeah, that sounds awful. We should definitely stand against those principles.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

May 19th, 2006, 3:23 am #20

"B," quoting from a review of The Andy Griffith Show: "honesty, caring, integrity, and responsibility."

So what? "B" knows quite well that these attributes are fine and admirable, but that Christians have no monopoly on them. Having them does not stick a label of "Christian" on anyone, for atheists, agnostics, and even ax murderers can manifest them.

People need to realize that The Andy Griffith Show and other classic sitcoms teach clean living, but they do not teach Christianity. Instead of being Christian Gentiles in a small Southern town, suppose all the characters on the AGS were devout Buddhists, Muslims, or Jews who manifested the same "honesty, caring, integrity, and responsibility" that Andy and the gang did. Would that suddenly turn the Buddhists, Muslims, and Jews into Christians? Of course not, and "B" knows that as well.

I reiterate that the AGS and other classic sitcoms are not suitable for Sunday school teaching, not because they are evil or lewd. Far from it. They are first and foremost light sitcoms specifically designed to entertain and produce laughs, not to teach biblical doctrine. If people are to become mature Christians, they need mature study in the Word from people who are far more knowledgeable in the Word than from what Hollywood sitcoms can deliver.

It's bad enough that many worship assemblies in the Change Movement today have chosen the entertainment route through comedy, light stories, anecdotes, and motivational speeches over expository preaching from the Word. Now Sunday schools are going "light" with entertainment as well by utilizing TV sitcoms as "study aids."