The Evolving Creed of the Progressive Church of Christ

The Evolving Creed of the Progressive Church of Christ

Scripture
Scripture

January 27th, 2017, 6:43 pm #1

The current preacher has now been at Madison for about two years. The creed left behind by Jason Shepherd is still intact. The eldership is reduced to a core of about six people, most of whom have a long record of Church of Christ membership. Much of what is said is definitely not traditional with Churches of Christ. Other parts are traditional, but the creed itself betrays the early open attitude of the Restoration leaders. The following is the current creed of the Madison Church as reflected in “What We Believe” under madisonchurchtn.org. Some of these points are in keeping with the historical Restoration, but many are a betrayal.

1. The Bible is not only morally and theologically is perfect, but it is infallible scientifically and historically. Nothing is said about the symbolic and figurative statements in the Old and New Testaments.

2. The steps toward salvation are (1) grace, (2) repentance, (3) faith, and (4) cross of Calvary. This is apparently their four step plan.

3. The Trinity as defined in traditional Protestantism is affirmed, with no latitude is given to those who disagree with Madison.

4. “Water” baptism is by immersion, but it is impotent, being only a command. Notice it is not part of their four-step plan. They state nothing about baptism and remission of sins.

5. Communion is an observance as an expression of worship–no sacramental blessing are said to be attributed to it. Nothing is said about the blessings inherent in the Lord’s Supper. Their high church language refers to the Lord’s Supper as Communion.

6. The primary function of the church, as they see it, is to socialize, although it is states to be “share life together.” There is no salvific (saving) function of the church. They state that the church encourages one another and serves the community.

7. Tithing belongs to the Lord. That 10 percent is His. Yet it is to be given “willingly.”

8. The resurrection is affirmed.

9. The virgin birth is affirmed.

10. The Spirit-filled life “empowers” us to live counter-culturally, they say. We strive to live holy lives as an expression of faith.

January 27th, 2017, 7:15 pm #2

Do you believe that creed is LU derived?

How does this fit with Post Modernism?

Scripture
Scripture

January 27th, 2017, 7:28 pm #3

Many who are graduates from LU no longer plan to send their kids there.

Others wander why Churches of Christ are sending buses to their lectures.

I would place LU as an evangelical college, separate from Churches of Christ.

Post Modernism as I see it is the rejection of doctrinal models built from the past. With post moderns everything is subject to overhaul and there is little loyalty to institutions including their home church of origin.

Post Modernism can be understood best as Deconstructionism, where models of the past are torn down. This means that every doctrinal conviction of past generations is under suspicion. When you hear "post modern" think "deconstruction."

The only way to counter this movement, in my opinion, is to renew the in-depth study of the Scripture. Today, few people have enough depth to begin that encounter with the Scripture, or the Word.

Scripture
Scripture

January 27th, 2017, 7:34 pm #4

Do you believe that creed is LU derived?

How does this fit with Post Modernism?
I did notice the last issue of The Gospel Advocate emphasized the historically close relationship between Freed Hardeman University and The Gospel Advocate. This is an inference that The Gospel Advocate and LU are not on the same page. Madison has a close connection with LU, but both are influenced by Post Modernism as it is reflected in their Deconstructive manner.

On a brighter note, some of the PM advocates have left their home church to go to a community church, only to find that church endorsed gay marriage, so they left and went back to a church closer to their raising.

To Madison's credit, their creed does refer to "counter-cultural" behavior. We need morality, regardless of the direction from which it comes.

Sarge
Sarge

January 29th, 2017, 1:57 pm #5

The current preacher has now been at Madison for about two years. The creed left behind by Jason Shepherd is still intact. The eldership is reduced to a core of about six people, most of whom have a long record of Church of Christ membership. Much of what is said is definitely not traditional with Churches of Christ. Other parts are traditional, but the creed itself betrays the early open attitude of the Restoration leaders. The following is the current creed of the Madison Church as reflected in “What We Believe” under madisonchurchtn.org. Some of these points are in keeping with the historical Restoration, but many are a betrayal.

1. The Bible is not only morally and theologically is perfect, but it is infallible scientifically and historically. Nothing is said about the symbolic and figurative statements in the Old and New Testaments.

2. The steps toward salvation are (1) grace, (2) repentance, (3) faith, and (4) cross of Calvary. This is apparently their four step plan.

3. The Trinity as defined in traditional Protestantism is affirmed, with no latitude is given to those who disagree with Madison.

4. “Water” baptism is by immersion, but it is impotent, being only a command. Notice it is not part of their four-step plan. They state nothing about baptism and remission of sins.

5. Communion is an observance as an expression of worship–no sacramental blessing are said to be attributed to it. Nothing is said about the blessings inherent in the Lord’s Supper. Their high church language refers to the Lord’s Supper as Communion.

6. The primary function of the church, as they see it, is to socialize, although it is states to be “share life together.” There is no salvific (saving) function of the church. They state that the church encourages one another and serves the community.

7. Tithing belongs to the Lord. That 10 percent is His. Yet it is to be given “willingly.”

8. The resurrection is affirmed.

9. The virgin birth is affirmed.

10. The Spirit-filled life “empowers” us to live counter-culturally, they say. We strive to live holy lives as an expression of faith.
Four, Five or Six STEPS to Salvation. The STEPS have been a mainstay and source of great debate at CM. Script has revealed yet another STEP. Here we go again!

Many people are looking for “steps to salvation.” People like the idea of an instruction manual with five steps that, if followed, will result in salvation. An example of this is Islam with its Five Pillars. According to Islam, if the Five Pillars are obeyed, salvation will be granted. Because the idea of a step-by-step process to salvation is appealing, many in the Christian community make the mistake of presenting salvation as a result of a step-by-step process. Roman Catholicism has seven sacraments. Various Christian denominations add baptism, public confession, turning from sin, speaking in tongues, etc., as steps to salvation. But the Bible only presents one step to salvation. When the Philippian jailer asked Paul, “What must I do to be saved?” Paul responded, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved” (Acts 16:30-31).

January 29th, 2017, 5:20 pm #6

Sarge and the progressives belong to the Progressive Church of Christ: They have progressed back to Babylon and are not able to report on Romans 10 or on Walter Scott. They do not grasp that the Word is the LOGOS meaning the PATTERN or PARADIGM which is the NARROW ROAD of the Way that is called a Sect.

2Pet. 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
2Pet. 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

2Pet. 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
2Pet. 1:12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth. Truth is Logos or Pattern: Sarge-Guin REFUTE.
2Pet. 1:13 Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
2Pet. 1:14 Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
2Pet. 1:15 Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
2Pet. 1:16 For we have not followed [DOCTRINE] cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Paul says of the Cunning Craftsmen or Sophists (self-speakers, singers or instrument players) that THEY ARE LYING IN WAIT TO DECEIVE.

They are lying about Scripture and Walter Scott to make the foolishl follow the foolish..
They are Lying also because Instrumental Noise was the Bible-recorded way to SET AN AMBUSH.

I will post Jay Guin's Fable, the the TRUE Walter Scott and then Romans 10. Don't worry if you cannot read ALL of Romans 10 and compare it to what Paul wrote to ALL of the Churches as what Jesus of Nazareth as HOLY SPIRIT guided him into all truth. The progressives reject the epistles other than to use it as war clubs.

Scripture
Scripture

January 29th, 2017, 8:08 pm #7

For those who say there is one step, i.e. belief:

Then why did Paul say that individuals seeking to be forgiven of crucifying Jesus, would also have to repent? Read Acts 2 carefully, and also Luke 3.

What about Romans 2:4 which says that God's grace leads us to repentance?

"Repent" includes not only "changing one's mind" but "accepting God's will" and acting on it.

January 29th, 2017, 8:23 pm #8

Those who spout saved by grace through faith are never bright enough to read the first part of Ephesians 2 and ask: "Saved from WHAT"?

Scripture
Scripture

January 29th, 2017, 8:29 pm #9

Wonderful comment. This illuminates the chapter.

Scripture
Scripture

January 29th, 2017, 9:20 pm #10

Those who spout saved by grace through faith are never bright enough to read the first part of Ephesians 2 and ask: "Saved from WHAT"?
Here's a creed from the Heritage Church of Christ, Franklin, TN.

Notice it's much less assuming, but does have some creedal aspects. It's much more guarded than Madison's and less vulnerable to false teaching.

The Beginning.

WHAT WE BELIEVE, TEACH, AND PRACTICE

There is one God, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit dwelling in and empowering God’s people.

The Bible is the inspired and complete word of God, a proven guide to our personal lives.

The Bible teaches us about God, sin, and Jesus, our Savior.

The Bible teaches us about His church, how to become a member, and how to live and serve in its fellowship.

The Bible teaches us about the blessings of living the Godly life, about our heavenly reward and how to secure it.

THE END

It's not clear from #1 if God and His Son also indwells in us along with the Holy Spirit. Why choose this to be one of their five point, I'm not sure why.

One 1 to 5 scale let's mark Heritage about a 1.5 in terms of evolvement toward progressivism. Madison will rank about 4.5. They're just about there.