Tell Us Why You Left the Church of Christ

chuck sonn
chuck sonn

April 16th, 2005, 10:02 pm #21

Hi Doc,

LS here...do you follow Buff Scott much?

blessings
chuck(literal seed)

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

April 17th, 2005, 5:27 am #22

I left the COC because of the hypocrisy. Just like Ken puts it, they are two sides to the same coin. Libs versus Conservatives and they are both getting rich. We just have worship in our house. If we find a small congregation that does not believe in taking money to construct new church buildings then we may resume going to formal worship services.

Perry
<font size=3 color=blue face=Times New Roman>Perry,

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with worshipping in your house or at any location. The early Christians did much of that. Many congregations begin that way, especially overseas where access to a building for “worship” is almost impossible. Anyway, the “formal worship service” is of human construct in religion. Many Christians confuse a “worship service” with the real purpose of the gathering of the saints—which is simply as a school of the Bible so that disciples (believers and learners) of Christ can study more of God’s Word and partake of the emblem of our Savior’s sacrifice and death on the cross.

Organized, well-decorated and choreographed “worship services” do not at all come close to the simplicity of New Testament specifications regarding the assembly. What has religion gotten into these days? Yes, we can leave the hypocrisy, false doctrines and teachings, and feigned religion behind without leaving Christ and His body, the church.

Donnie </font>

Perry
Perry

April 17th, 2005, 1:42 pm #23

Hi Doc,

LS here...do you follow Buff Scott much?

blessings
chuck(literal seed)
Hello LS,
I'm not too sure of who Buff Scott is unless he is the one that used to send out that newsletter called Reformation Rumblings. I read it a couple of times. I'll google it.

Perry/ Dr Nick

Perry
Perry

April 17th, 2005, 1:47 pm #24

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with worshipping in your house or at any location. The early Christians did much of that. Many congregations begin that way, especially overseas where access to a building for “worship” is almost impossible. Anyway, the “formal worship service” is of human construct in religion. Many Christians confuse a “worship service” with the real purpose of the gathering of the saints—which is simply as a school of the Bible so that disciples (believers and learners) of Christ can study more of God’s Word and partake of the emblem of our Savior’s sacrifice and death on the cross.

Organized, well-decorated and choreographed “worship services” do not at all come close to the simplicity of New Testament specifications regarding the assembly. What has religion gotten into these days? Yes, we can leave the hypocrisy, false doctrines and teachings, and feigned religion behind without leaving Christ and His body, the church.

Donnie </font>
Donnie,

We've never been happier than we are now. I believe that the bible was written to be read by all yet that is what the Catholic clergy tried to stop. In the last year or so I learned from reading Piney's discoveries that the assembling is for the purpose of teaching and that was the missing piece of the puzzle for me.

Perry

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

April 17th, 2005, 3:02 pm #25

Donnie </font>
Uh oh, Donnie, you said the real purpose for the gathering of the saints is to study God's Word and partake of the Lord's Supper. To our resident change agent(s) at this site, mentioning "study" is like waving the proverbial red cape in front of a bull. Be prepared to see mocking responses that twist "Be doers of the Word and not hearers only" into something like, "Worry more about doing the Word and less about studying it." The latter would parallel the fallacious thinking previously posted at this site, namely, "Esteem the Word Made Flesh over the Word," "Worry more about what God said or Jesus said than what the Word says," and "Worry more about being relevant than being right."

Then somewhere along the line, expect to see the usual, prideful assumption, "I'll wager you've never gone out into the highways and byways like I have...," but by now, that poor record has played so repetitively that it not only shatters, but the phonograph dies, and the stylus is ground to the nub.

Limping
Limping

April 17th, 2005, 6:56 pm #26

Leaving the traditional church of Christ was not something I did on a whim. It's where I grew up; it was my heritage. However, I grew increasingly disillusioned with the membership, with the unjustifiable belief that the churches of Christ are the exclusive heirs of Heaven. I no longer believed I was there to worship the Lord, but rather that I was there to have my card stamped and to learn about how we were right and the rest of the Christian world was wrong. The one statement above all that makes me cringe is to hear someone in the church of Christ refer to the faithful of other denominations as not being "members of the church." That in and of itself is blasphemous. Who are we as humans in any denomination to declare who does and who does not make up the body of Christ? I never learned to pray, to truly commune with the Lord, until I left the traditional church of Christ. I never experienced true worship until I left the traditional church of Christ. I never understood the fullness of God's grace and mercy -- the fathomless depth of his love -- until I left the traditional church of Christ. Where do I worship now? I worship with a congregation that has become a haven for people just like me, the "recovering" former church of Christ members. There are no mechanical instruments in our Sunday worship. We baptize by immersion. But we do not believe that the whole of God's Kingdom is contained within the churches of Christ. We recognize that we are all still learning and growing. We extend a hand of welcome to anyone who wants to join us, and we find ways of working with diversity rather than using it as a measuring stick. We teach baptism as a necessary act of obedience but not as the solitary turn-key solution to salvation. I could go on and on because the reasons for my departure from the traditional church of Christ go much deeper. But let me end by saying that modernizing the church does not mean glossing over the teachings of Christ. However, it does mean that all churches regardless of the name on their sign must recognize that the effects of a broken world necessitate periodic adjustments in how we embrace the lost and love them into salvation.
What part of the country are you in?

chuck sonn
chuck sonn

April 17th, 2005, 10:02 pm #27

Donnie,

We've never been happier than we are now. I believe that the bible was written to be read by all yet that is what the Catholic clergy tried to stop. In the last year or so I learned from reading Piney's discoveries that the assembling is for the purpose of teaching and that was the missing piece of the puzzle for me.

Perry
Perry,

Having been a member at Madison since the late 80's, and experiencing the changes we have gone through, the best thing that came out of it was Piney(Ken Sublett) on this website. The purpose for the site may not have had the most admirable intentions, but we'll leave that judgement to the only Judge.

Ken's teachings have been intense and not for the impatient. His teachings on Word discourse and study is the foundation of what we now teach at the truck stop worship services. My prayer is that more churches take the time to really understand what our resouces need to be spent on....the destitute and evangelism. Our greatest worship is the learning to be God's people who care.

blessings
chuck/literal seed

joe
joe

April 18th, 2005, 2:59 am #28

Uh oh, Donnie, you said the real purpose for the gathering of the saints is to study God's Word and partake of the Lord's Supper. To our resident change agent(s) at this site, mentioning "study" is like waving the proverbial red cape in front of a bull. Be prepared to see mocking responses that twist "Be doers of the Word and not hearers only" into something like, "Worry more about doing the Word and less about studying it." The latter would parallel the fallacious thinking previously posted at this site, namely, "Esteem the Word Made Flesh over the Word," "Worry more about what God said or Jesus said than what the Word says," and "Worry more about being relevant than being right."

Then somewhere along the line, expect to see the usual, prideful assumption, "I'll wager you've never gone out into the highways and byways like I have...," but by now, that poor record has played so repetitively that it not only shatters, but the phonograph dies, and the stylus is ground to the nub.
Revelation 18:1 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. 2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. 3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. 4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

To God be the Glory
Joe McKnight

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

April 18th, 2005, 3:34 am #29

Perry,

Having been a member at Madison since the late 80's, and experiencing the changes we have gone through, the best thing that came out of it was Piney(Ken Sublett) on this website. The purpose for the site may not have had the most admirable intentions, but we'll leave that judgement to the only Judge.

Ken's teachings have been intense and not for the impatient. His teachings on Word discourse and study is the foundation of what we now teach at the truck stop worship services. My prayer is that more churches take the time to really understand what our resouces need to be spent on....the destitute and evangelism. Our greatest worship is the learning to be God's people who care.

blessings
chuck/literal seed
Chuck, if I got anything right it is because you beat the hell out of me to make me focus. Hell a good word?

That is what Rabbi's do: they do not try to make love to you in pretty prose. A Rabbi I have read says that for a Jew "the highest form of worship is the study of the Word." Doing that you dont have to arm wrestle every point.

Our children get more "socialization" than they need and if home churching instills the love of the Word then that will beat turning them against God with ceremonialism.

Thanks, Ken

brian
brian

April 27th, 2005, 2:25 pm #30

This thread invites former members of the Church of Christ to tell us exactly why you left this faith. We are always being told that the Church of Christ is a vanishing sect, so we would like you to tell us why. What made the Church of Christ odious to you? Was our doctrine too strict? Was there too little love? Did you prefer instrumental music over a cappella singing? Did you want more programs and interactive features with group participation? Were the sermons too long or too theological? Spill your guts! Unload your heart! What drove you away? Usually, something most significant compels people to leave their faith entirely and embrace another, or none at all, so we’re here to learn from you, not condemn you for leaving. If you respond, please include as much of the following information as possible:

1. The exact reasons why you left. Please be very specific. Please refrain from generic responses like, “I hated the Church of Christ.”

2. If you left and then later returned to the Church of Christ, what specifically brought you back?

3. What, if anything, would you have the Church of Christ do so that people would not leave? In other words, what changes, if any, would you need to see before you would ever be willing to return to the Church of Christ?

If by responding, your intention is merely to bash and criticize the Church of Christ, there are plenty of other threads at this site which will allow you the opportunity to vent. In like manner, taking issue with those who respond will serve no purpose in this thread. Take it elsewhere.
"...tell us exactly why you left this faith... Was our doctrine too strict? Was there too little love? Did you prefer instrumental music over a cappella singing? Did you want more programs and interactive features with group participation? Were the sermons too long or too theological?"

How about none of the above?

I left the cofC simply because I came believe that it's beliefs and practices did not line up with scripture. My choices were either sit still and deny my beliefs, speak up and get asked to leave, or leave on my own.

It had nothing to do with personal preferences, style, etc. It had everything to do with following the truth no matter where it took me.