Steve Flatt Leaving Lipscomb

First Time Poster
First Time Poster

July 29th, 2005, 4:42 am #11

Strauss was "winged" out of Pepperdine and was called in to RESOLVE the problem at Madison. They are decidedly on the SIDE of the change agents accordint to their Web page at the time and will RESOLVE in the favor Lipscomb has already gone.

They use the Heglian Dialectic used by other CHANGE AGENTS in history. The scheme is to get the ENEMIES involved in their "resolving system" of loaded questions and surveys.

The goal is to reach a CONCENSUS somewhere on the side of change. The goal would be that the conservatives who have abandoned Lipscomb and resulted in this change would be manipulated into meeting the changelings half way. But, there is no compromise with evil and silly "professors" leading the church into the wilderness.

I don't know this guy but WHY would Lipscomb hire a lawyer-conflict resolver rather than a Godly Bible believer and promoter of the MANDATE for which believers PURCHASED the institution now lost. The CONFLICT can easily be solved with a wholesale house cleaning.

LaGard Smith of Pepperdine may be the one level head and lawyer at Lipscomb and maybe something better is cooking.
Speaking about Straus, Ken said, "They are decidedly on the SIDE of the change agents accordint(sic) to their Web page..."

Where is this? I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying that after reading that post, I looked at their website and couldn't find any reference to Madison. Can you provide a link or point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

July 29th, 2005, 3:16 pm #12

David, you will have to look at the old Madison archieves for the history. They probably don't keep lists of their older CLIENTS. You might remember some of the Strauss involvement at Madison??

Because Lipscomb's students are 70% church of Christ and their faculty is close to 100% something but NOT church of Christ, they will DECIDE whether to MOVE ON to a BROADER base. I am pretty sure that they will HAVE to move on: my middle daughter did here degree there and decided that it decidedly was not a "christian" college.

Ken

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

July 30th, 2005, 9:42 am #13

What does this mean for Church of Christ in Nashville, specifically Madison?

http://www.lipscomb.edu/filter.asp?SID= ... o_key=7868

<font size=5 face=times new roman>
Lipscomb University to begin presidential search
</font>

<font size=3 face=times new roman>Lipscomb University officials will begin an immediate, nationwide search for a successor to President Stephen F. Flatt, who has been named senior vice president for development at National HealthCare Corporation, headquartered in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Hilton Dean, chairman of Lipscomb’s Board of Trustees, said today that a search committee would begin work very quickly toward identifying and securing a new president, the 17th in Lipscomb’s 114-year history.

“We’re saddened that Steve is leaving and we wish him well in his new endeavor. Steve has been a very effective leader and has had a tremendous impact on campus. We will immediately launch a nationwide search to find someone who will build on what Steve and those who have come before him have accomplished here,” said Dean.

Flatt said he looks forward to the opportunities that lie ahead at NHC.

“Thinking about leaving Lipscomb University, my alma mater, has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life. I truly believe Lipscomb is a premier academic institution, whose Christian context is unique, and I have been very pleased with the progress we’ve made and the position Lipscomb is in for future growth.

“Having said that, I am extremely excited about my new role at NHC and the potential it offers for serving in a different way. NHC has a great history as an industry leader in senior care. This represents a tremendous opportunity for me to join the leadership team of one of America’s greatest companies,” Flatt said.

“I see education and senior healthcare as aspects of ministry. Both provide opportunities to help people at critical times in their lives. At Lipscomb, I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to help students. As a large group of our population ages, demand for quality care for the elderly will grow exponentially. As senior vice president of development I look forward to helping NHC meet that demand by providing the highest quality of care available.”

Lipscomb University is one of the few institutions in the nation that educates students from pre-kindergarten through the master’s degree level in one system. Lipscomb University enrolls approximately 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students in 80 major fields of study leading to bachelor’s degrees, and through master’s degree programs in business administration, biblical studies and education. David Lipscomb Campus School enrolls nearly 1,500 in pre-K through grade 12. Lipscomb is associated with the churches of Christ.

“We will be looking for a candidate who is well respected within the Church of Christ, who has demonstrated leadership skills and an aggressive vision for growth and the excellence that is demanded by faith at all levels of our institution,” Dean said.

Flatt, a 1977 Lipscomb University graduate, began his tenure as Lipscomb’s president in June 1997. Under his leadership Lipscomb’s academic departments were reorganized into five colleges, and the Raymond B. Jones School of Engineering and the Lipscomb/Vanderbilt Nursing Partnership were established. Curriculum and degree expansions included a master of business administration, a master of divinity, bachelor of science degrees in computer engineering and engineering mechanics, and a bachelor of science in nursing degree; and study abroad programs were added in London, Athens and Montevideo. Other accomplishments during Flatt’s tenure include transitioning the athletic program from the NAIA to the NCAA-Division I, creating an Office of Multicultural Affairs and establishing four competency centers – the Center for Leadership Excellence, Center for Character Development, Center for International Peace and Justice and the Center for Spiritual Renewal. Flatt also guided the university through a $150 million capital and endowment campaign which has raised $110 million to date. Campus enhancements during this time include the construction of the 5,000-seat Allen Arena, a parking garage, 148-bed addition to Johnson Residence Hall, a major renovation of the Student Center, several dormitory renovations, and the beginning of construction on the 77,000-square foot Ezell Center for Biblical Studies.

Flatt began his career with Lipscomb in 1977 as assistant to the vice president. He has also served as director of admissions, vice president/business affairs and vice president/institutional planning. From 1986-1990, Flatt was president of Ezell-Harding Christian School and was minister of Madison Church of Christ from 1986-1997.

Flatt will begin his role at NHC June 15.</font>
Source: http://www.lipscomb.edu/

<font size=5>
Lipscomb Board Chooses Lowry for Presidency
</font>

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Dr. L. Randolph Lowry III, founder of the nationally-recognized Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution and professor of law at Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., has been selected as Lipscomb University’s 17th president, the board of trustees announced today. Lowry, 53, will take office Nov. 1.

Lowry is an elder at the Conejo Valley Church of Christ in Thousand Oaks, Calif., and has been a regular public speaker. He has given keynote presentations at Bible lectureships and conferences including those at Faulkner University, Abilene Christian University, Harding University, Pepperdine University, Oklahoma Christian University and Rochester College. Through his work at the Straus Institute, Lowry has served churches and individuals in resolving church-related disputes. Lowry is a member of the board of trustees of Abilene Christian University, is on the advisory board for Jones Law School at Faulkner University and is chairman of the board of Sunset Haven Christian Care Centers. He has also been involved in leadership and conflict management consulting and workshops at individual congregations across the country. Lowry also created several programs at Pepperdine that specifically serve Churches of Christ, including the Annual Church Leaders’ Dialogue, Leading the Church in Difficult Moments workshop and Managing Conflict in the Church workshop.

“One of the key factors in choosing a president for Lipscomb is his ability to fulfill the founders’ vision for the university as interpreted by the Board of Trustees. Dr. Lowry has a demonstrated record of academic excellence, which has characterized Lipscomb since its beginning as Nashville Bible School in 1891. As an elder in the church, he is also committed to personal spiritual growth and to the values our board has articulated in the Statement of Christian Heritage and Commitment," said Hilton Dean, chairman of Lipscomb University’s board of trustees.

Lowry said he has a deep appreciation for Lipscomb.

“While I have degrees and experiences from other institutions, I feel a special kinship to the 115-year tradition of Lipscomb University. My mentors at the three universities where I have served have been Lipscomb graduates. It is with deep appreciation for the long history of Lipscomb’s university and campus school programs, and great anticipation of the future that lies before us, that I accept this leadership position,” said Lowry.

After receiving a bachelor’s degree in political science and a master’s degree in public administration from Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., and a juris doctor degree from Hamline University, in St. Paul, Minn., Lowry focused his career on higher education. He held a number of administrative positions but spent most of his first decade in the president’s office at two private Christian universities, Hamline University and Willamette University, in Salem, Ore.

In 1986, he joined the law school faculty at Pepperdine and established a new international academic program in the emerging field of dispute resolution.

“While enjoying the administrative side of higher education, I always thought that, to be a college president, one would need the credibility of having served on the full-time faculty. The move to law teaching balanced my administrative experiences and allowed me to fully engage in teaching, research and scholarship for 19 years,” said Lowry.

Under Lowry’s leadership, the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution has become the premier program of its kind in the United States. This year the Straus Institute at Pepperdine School of Law was named number one in the country by U.S. News & World Report in its Guide to Graduate Schools. The program has held that distinction for a number of years. The Straus Institute is a comprehensive academic education program that attracts students and professionals from around the world.

In addition to teaching at Pepperdine, Lowry has worked, literally, around the world. He is an annual visiting faculty member at Vermont Law School and City University of Hong Kong. He has also taught at Shantou University, in Beijing, China; Bond University in Gold Coast, Australia; and for Hamline University at the University of Modena in Modena, Italy. His consulting and training practice has included work for the legal community in The Netherlands, the introduction of mediation in India through a grant from the Asian Development Bank, training for judges in Buenos Aires, Argentina, as well as consultation with lawyers for Freshfields, an international law firm in Asia.

Lowry brings to Lipscomb University a substantial history of community and professional involvement. He is the co-founder and first president of the Southern California Mediation Association, co-founder to the Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement, served as a gubernatorial appointment to the California Dispute Resolution Advisory Council, a member of the California Judicial Council’s Task Force on the Quality of Justice as well as the California Supreme Court Blue Ribbon Committee on Arbitration Ethics.

Just as faith and learning are brought together at Lipscomb University, Lowry has brought them together throughout his career. He has established programs that have educated thousands of ministers and Christian leaders in reconciliation and conflict management. In addition to his speaking at Bible lectureships, Lowry has also spoken to a variety of organizations such as Laity Lodge, Christian Conciliation Service and the Association of Christian Schools International.

Lowry is a native of Long Beach, Calif. His wife, Rhonda, is also involved in higher education, having directed a graduate school development program. Most recently, she taught at both the graduate and undergraduate college levels. Lowry and his wife have three children: John, a lawyer who is on the ministry staff at Preston Road Church of Christ in Dallas, Texas; Janet, a Ph.D. candidate at the University of California-Santa Barbara; and, Melinda, a sophomore at Wheaton College in Illinois.

Lowry succeeds Dr. Steve Flatt who stepped down as president June 1 to accept a position with National HealthCare Corporation in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Dr. Harold Hazelip, who served as president from 1986-1997, is serving as interim president and will continue to do so until Nov. 1. </font>

Tom Brite
Tom Brite

July 30th, 2005, 8:52 pm #14

We have been on vacation for the past week and I just learned of the appointment of Randy Lowry as President of Lipscomb today on this website. I have known Randy Lowry for the past 13 years. He is an exceptional man, with strong Christian values. I personally do not think that a better man could have been picked for this job. Lipscomb is lucky to have a man of this quality agree to lead the school.

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

July 30th, 2005, 9:46 pm #15

I took a look at their web site: it looks pretty traditional.

Tom do you know F. LaGard Smith?

Ken

Tom Brite
Tom Brite

July 30th, 2005, 11:04 pm #16

Ken, no, I do not know Bro. Smith.

One additional thing that I will mention regarding Randy is that the primary focus of the Straus Institute, and the work that Randy has been involved with since 1988 is mediating business disputes, teaching dispute resolution techniques to national and international corporations, mediating pending litigation in state and federal courts, and family law issues. He is recognized nationally as one of the top mediators and dispute resolution teachers in the US. I believe that I would be correct in saying that the "religious side" of their mediation work would only be a small fraction of the work that they do.

Tom

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

July 31st, 2005, 4:40 am #17

What does this mean for Church of Christ in Nashville, specifically Madison?

http://www.lipscomb.edu/filter.asp?SID= ... o_key=7868

<font size=5 face=times new roman>
Lipscomb University to begin presidential search
</font>

<font size=3 face=times new roman>Lipscomb University officials will begin an immediate, nationwide search for a successor to President Stephen F. Flatt, who has been named senior vice president for development at National HealthCare Corporation, headquartered in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Hilton Dean, chairman of Lipscomb’s Board of Trustees, said today that a search committee would begin work very quickly toward identifying and securing a new president, the 17th in Lipscomb’s 114-year history.

“We’re saddened that Steve is leaving and we wish him well in his new endeavor. Steve has been a very effective leader and has had a tremendous impact on campus. We will immediately launch a nationwide search to find someone who will build on what Steve and those who have come before him have accomplished here,” said Dean.

Flatt said he looks forward to the opportunities that lie ahead at NHC.

“Thinking about leaving Lipscomb University, my alma mater, has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life. I truly believe Lipscomb is a premier academic institution, whose Christian context is unique, and I have been very pleased with the progress we’ve made and the position Lipscomb is in for future growth.

“Having said that, I am extremely excited about my new role at NHC and the potential it offers for serving in a different way. NHC has a great history as an industry leader in senior care. This represents a tremendous opportunity for me to join the leadership team of one of America’s greatest companies,” Flatt said.

“I see education and senior healthcare as aspects of ministry. Both provide opportunities to help people at critical times in their lives. At Lipscomb, I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to help students. As a large group of our population ages, demand for quality care for the elderly will grow exponentially. As senior vice president of development I look forward to helping NHC meet that demand by providing the highest quality of care available.”

Lipscomb University is one of the few institutions in the nation that educates students from pre-kindergarten through the master’s degree level in one system. Lipscomb University enrolls approximately 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students in 80 major fields of study leading to bachelor’s degrees, and through master’s degree programs in business administration, biblical studies and education. David Lipscomb Campus School enrolls nearly 1,500 in pre-K through grade 12. Lipscomb is associated with the churches of Christ.

“We will be looking for a candidate who is well respected within the Church of Christ, who has demonstrated leadership skills and an aggressive vision for growth and the excellence that is demanded by faith at all levels of our institution,” Dean said.

Flatt, a 1977 Lipscomb University graduate, began his tenure as Lipscomb’s president in June 1997. Under his leadership Lipscomb’s academic departments were reorganized into five colleges, and the Raymond B. Jones School of Engineering and the Lipscomb/Vanderbilt Nursing Partnership were established. Curriculum and degree expansions included a master of business administration, a master of divinity, bachelor of science degrees in computer engineering and engineering mechanics, and a bachelor of science in nursing degree; and study abroad programs were added in London, Athens and Montevideo. Other accomplishments during Flatt’s tenure include transitioning the athletic program from the NAIA to the NCAA-Division I, creating an Office of Multicultural Affairs and establishing four competency centers – the Center for Leadership Excellence, Center for Character Development, Center for International Peace and Justice and the Center for Spiritual Renewal. Flatt also guided the university through a $150 million capital and endowment campaign which has raised $110 million to date. Campus enhancements during this time include the construction of the 5,000-seat Allen Arena, a parking garage, 148-bed addition to Johnson Residence Hall, a major renovation of the Student Center, several dormitory renovations, and the beginning of construction on the 77,000-square foot Ezell Center for Biblical Studies.

Flatt began his career with Lipscomb in 1977 as assistant to the vice president. He has also served as director of admissions, vice president/business affairs and vice president/institutional planning. From 1986-1990, Flatt was president of Ezell-Harding Christian School and was minister of Madison Church of Christ from 1986-1997.

Flatt will begin his role at NHC June 15.</font>
<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>This is in response to “First Time Poster” (July 29 2005, 12:42 AM). First Time said, “…I looked at their website and couldn’t find any reference to Madison. Can you provide me a link or point me in the right direction?”

I have done a little bit of research since Madison was referenced. The best suggestion I can offer is to click “Return to Index” at the bottom of this page, then click “4” at the bottom of the Main Index in order to link to the Page 4 Index. There is a thread titled “Who is Larry Sullivan and the Straus Institute?” with the last post date of October 23, 2002. The last post on this date has a link to the archived portion of this thread.

In that thread, there is a link (www.christianity.com) to an article about Larry Sullivan, which no longer exists at this website. [At this point, I’m unsure of the religious affiliation of the site. In looking at the “Devotional E-Mail Newsletters” section, it appears to me to be a true Baptist- and pseudo-Baptist-affiliated site. The section lists among others: (1) “In Touch with Charles Stanley” {true Baptist} and (2) “UpWords with Max Lucado” {pseudo-Baptist from the Oak Hills Church [formerly … of Christ]}.]

John, who originated this current thread “Steve Flatt Leaving Lipscomb,” posed an important question in the beginning: “What does this mean for Church of Christ in Nashville, specifically Madison?” (Steve Flatt was Madison’s minister prior to becoming Lipscomb’s president.)

So, now we have this—“The Madison-Sullivan-Flatt-Lipscomb-Lowry-Straus Sixsome Connection.” [I made that up!] I deem it necessary to partly respond to John’s and First Time Poster’s questions by reiterating the quotes from the Nashville Tennessean in the 10-23-2002 post:
  • <font color=black>
  • Elders at the Madison Church of Christ said Sunday they would bring in a church dispute resolution expert to help resolve the split developing in the church over worship styles.
  • The Madison church's elders asked Sullivan to help them mediate their conflict after an elder worked with Sullivan in a dispute-resolution class.
  • Church elders discovered Sullivan when one of them attended a seminar of his about how to handle church disputes, Hoppes said. Sullivan had served in Churches of Christ for 25 years before working at Pepperdine University, where he trains Churches of Christ to handle dispute resolution on their own and acts as a mediator in resolving church disputes.
  • With other churches, Sullivan said, he has tried to speak with everyone involved to find out which issues are at the heart of the matter. He then facilitates discussion and problem solving among the parties.
  • ''I call it eliminating the noise so they can hear each other and hear God,'' he said.</font>
Well, besides the quotes above, I might as well repeat the rest of what was posted on 10-23-2002:
  • <font size=3 color=indigo>Do you think that Mr. Sullivan offers an unbiased service of mediation to the [Madison] church?

Well, first we understand that his group is being paid to offer his services.

Almost the same words used in the newspaper article were used to describe Sullivan’s role to the church by one or more of the elders and by Mr. Sullivan himself standing before the congregation.

SIMPLY VISITING HIS WEB SITE REVEALS MR. SULLIVAN’S REAL AGENDA AND POSSIBLY THAT OF MOST OF THE ELDERS.

The headline of the web page is "Leading Congregational Change" which ironically is also the title of the book. Mr. Sullivan promotes at one of his web sites [the following] direct quotes:
    • ”Rick Warren of Saddleback Community Church recommends that church leaders read ‘Leading Congregational Change’"
    • "Leading a church to change from being tradition- or program-driven to being purpose-driven is a task filled with all kinds of potentially explosive and divisive issues. This is a book [‘Leading Congregational Change’] you ought to read before you change anything."
    It appears that Mr. Sullivan is a change expert, not an unbiased mediator!

Mr. Sullivan, it appears, is using "Consensus Processing" to achieve a predetermined result—a change in the worship format at Madison.

It appears that some of the “shepherds” are not exactly being honest with their flock.</font>
Now, the Lipscomb situation remains to be seen. Perhaps, with Lowry, one of 6 elders at the Conejo Valley Church of Christ in Thousand Oaks, Calif., as the incoming president of the university, may be the right leader in Lipscomb’s future. However, I do have reservations. While Pepperdine is “Church of Christ-affiliated” just as is Abilene Christian, both schools now have strong ties with the Christian Church and other denominations. Lipscomb is on the verge, if it hasn’t arrived there yet. I have strong suspicions when the word “community” or the expression “community of faith” is part of the “MISSION STATEMENT” of a congregation of Christ’s church, such as that of Conejo Valley. The expression simply means “a fellowship of varying denominational backgrounds—it does not matter.”

Also suspect is the expression “purpose-driven” as in “The Purpose Driven Church” or “The Purpose Driven Life” or “Saddleback Community Church” or “Rick Warren,” etc.

Therefore, are we about to witness more of the Change Movement?

Donnie Cruz</font>

John
John

July 31st, 2005, 3:51 pm #18

<font size=5>
Lipscomb Board Chooses Lowry for Presidency
</font>

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Dr. L. Randolph Lowry III, founder of the nationally-recognized Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution and professor of law at Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., has been selected as Lipscomb University’s 17th president, the board of trustees announced today. Lowry, 53, will take office Nov. 1.

Lowry is an elder at the Conejo Valley Church of Christ in Thousand Oaks, Calif., and has been a regular public speaker. He has given keynote presentations at Bible lectureships and conferences including those at Faulkner University, Abilene Christian University, Harding University, Pepperdine University, Oklahoma Christian University and Rochester College. Through his work at the Straus Institute, Lowry has served churches and individuals in resolving church-related disputes. Lowry is a member of the board of trustees of Abilene Christian University, is on the advisory board for Jones Law School at Faulkner University and is chairman of the board of Sunset Haven Christian Care Centers. He has also been involved in leadership and conflict management consulting and workshops at individual congregations across the country. Lowry also created several programs at Pepperdine that specifically serve Churches of Christ, including the Annual Church Leaders’ Dialogue, Leading the Church in Difficult Moments workshop and Managing Conflict in the Church workshop.

“One of the key factors in choosing a president for Lipscomb is his ability to fulfill the founders’ vision for the university as interpreted by the Board of Trustees. Dr. Lowry has a demonstrated record of academic excellence, which has characterized Lipscomb since its beginning as Nashville Bible School in 1891. As an elder in the church, he is also committed to personal spiritual growth and to the values our board has articulated in the Statement of Christian Heritage and Commitment," said Hilton Dean, chairman of Lipscomb University’s board of trustees.

Lowry said he has a deep appreciation for Lipscomb.

“While I have degrees and experiences from other institutions, I feel a special kinship to the 115-year tradition of Lipscomb University. My mentors at the three universities where I have served have been Lipscomb graduates. It is with deep appreciation for the long history of Lipscomb’s university and campus school programs, and great anticipation of the future that lies before us, that I accept this leadership position,” said Lowry.

After receiving a bachelor’s degree in political science and a master’s degree in public administration from Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., and a juris doctor degree from Hamline University, in St. Paul, Minn., Lowry focused his career on higher education. He held a number of administrative positions but spent most of his first decade in the president’s office at two private Christian universities, Hamline University and Willamette University, in Salem, Ore.

In 1986, he joined the law school faculty at Pepperdine and established a new international academic program in the emerging field of dispute resolution.

“While enjoying the administrative side of higher education, I always thought that, to be a college president, one would need the credibility of having served on the full-time faculty. The move to law teaching balanced my administrative experiences and allowed me to fully engage in teaching, research and scholarship for 19 years,” said Lowry.

Under Lowry’s leadership, the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution has become the premier program of its kind in the United States. This year the Straus Institute at Pepperdine School of Law was named number one in the country by U.S. News & World Report in its Guide to Graduate Schools. The program has held that distinction for a number of years. The Straus Institute is a comprehensive academic education program that attracts students and professionals from around the world.

In addition to teaching at Pepperdine, Lowry has worked, literally, around the world. He is an annual visiting faculty member at Vermont Law School and City University of Hong Kong. He has also taught at Shantou University, in Beijing, China; Bond University in Gold Coast, Australia; and for Hamline University at the University of Modena in Modena, Italy. His consulting and training practice has included work for the legal community in The Netherlands, the introduction of mediation in India through a grant from the Asian Development Bank, training for judges in Buenos Aires, Argentina, as well as consultation with lawyers for Freshfields, an international law firm in Asia.

Lowry brings to Lipscomb University a substantial history of community and professional involvement. He is the co-founder and first president of the Southern California Mediation Association, co-founder to the Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement, served as a gubernatorial appointment to the California Dispute Resolution Advisory Council, a member of the California Judicial Council’s Task Force on the Quality of Justice as well as the California Supreme Court Blue Ribbon Committee on Arbitration Ethics.

Just as faith and learning are brought together at Lipscomb University, Lowry has brought them together throughout his career. He has established programs that have educated thousands of ministers and Christian leaders in reconciliation and conflict management. In addition to his speaking at Bible lectureships, Lowry has also spoken to a variety of organizations such as Laity Lodge, Christian Conciliation Service and the Association of Christian Schools International.

Lowry is a native of Long Beach, Calif. His wife, Rhonda, is also involved in higher education, having directed a graduate school development program. Most recently, she taught at both the graduate and undergraduate college levels. Lowry and his wife have three children: John, a lawyer who is on the ministry staff at Preston Road Church of Christ in Dallas, Texas; Janet, a Ph.D. candidate at the University of California-Santa Barbara; and, Melinda, a sophomore at Wheaton College in Illinois.

Lowry succeeds Dr. Steve Flatt who stepped down as president June 1 to accept a position with National HealthCare Corporation in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Dr. Harold Hazelip, who served as president from 1986-1997, is serving as interim president and will continue to do so until Nov. 1. </font>

steve flatt is giving serious thought to running for governor of tenn. however being a preacher and college president doesn't quite give enough qualification so his friend mr adams will let him "work" at nhc for "management credentials " on his resume.

flatt, like many frustrated members of the churches of christ has grown weary with the self serving bellyaching going about as more churches seem to have lost their burden for "the lost" but have time to find fault with everyone they disagree with. it's tough being a president of a great school when the student body of today wants it be more like pepperdine and the "faithful followers" many of whom love this website, are trying to keep lipscomb more like the freed hardeman of the 70s. it's a no win job. everyday somebody 's mad and bunch of busy bodies are fussing about on this website

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

July 31st, 2005, 4:39 pm #19

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>This is in response to “First Time Poster” (July 29 2005, 12:42 AM). First Time said, “…I looked at their website and couldn’t find any reference to Madison. Can you provide me a link or point me in the right direction?”

I have done a little bit of research since Madison was referenced. The best suggestion I can offer is to click “Return to Index” at the bottom of this page, then click “4” at the bottom of the Main Index in order to link to the Page 4 Index. There is a thread titled “Who is Larry Sullivan and the Straus Institute?” with the last post date of October 23, 2002. The last post on this date has a link to the archived portion of this thread.

In that thread, there is a link (www.christianity.com) to an article about Larry Sullivan, which no longer exists at this website. [At this point, I’m unsure of the religious affiliation of the site. In looking at the “Devotional E-Mail Newsletters” section, it appears to me to be a true Baptist- and pseudo-Baptist-affiliated site. The section lists among others: (1) “In Touch with Charles Stanley” {true Baptist} and (2) “UpWords with Max Lucado” {pseudo-Baptist from the Oak Hills Church [formerly … of Christ]}.]

John, who originated this current thread “Steve Flatt Leaving Lipscomb,” posed an important question in the beginning: “What does this mean for Church of Christ in Nashville, specifically Madison?” (Steve Flatt was Madison’s minister prior to becoming Lipscomb’s president.)

So, now we have this—“The Madison-Sullivan-Flatt-Lipscomb-Lowry-Straus Sixsome Connection.” [I made that up!] I deem it necessary to partly respond to John’s and First Time Poster’s questions by reiterating the quotes from the Nashville Tennessean in the 10-23-2002 post:
  • <font color=black>
  • Elders at the Madison Church of Christ said Sunday they would bring in a church dispute resolution expert to help resolve the split developing in the church over worship styles.
  • The Madison church's elders asked Sullivan to help them mediate their conflict after an elder worked with Sullivan in a dispute-resolution class.
  • Church elders discovered Sullivan when one of them attended a seminar of his about how to handle church disputes, Hoppes said. Sullivan had served in Churches of Christ for 25 years before working at Pepperdine University, where he trains Churches of Christ to handle dispute resolution on their own and acts as a mediator in resolving church disputes.
  • With other churches, Sullivan said, he has tried to speak with everyone involved to find out which issues are at the heart of the matter. He then facilitates discussion and problem solving among the parties.
  • ''I call it eliminating the noise so they can hear each other and hear God,'' he said.</font>
Well, besides the quotes above, I might as well repeat the rest of what was posted on 10-23-2002:
  • <font size=3 color=indigo>Do you think that Mr. Sullivan offers an unbiased service of mediation to the [Madison] church?

Well, first we understand that his group is being paid to offer his services.

Almost the same words used in the newspaper article were used to describe Sullivan’s role to the church by one or more of the elders and by Mr. Sullivan himself standing before the congregation.

SIMPLY VISITING HIS WEB SITE REVEALS MR. SULLIVAN’S REAL AGENDA AND POSSIBLY THAT OF MOST OF THE ELDERS.

The headline of the web page is "Leading Congregational Change" which ironically is also the title of the book. Mr. Sullivan promotes at one of his web sites [the following] direct quotes:
    • ”Rick Warren of Saddleback Community Church recommends that church leaders read ‘Leading Congregational Change’"
    • "Leading a church to change from being tradition- or program-driven to being purpose-driven is a task filled with all kinds of potentially explosive and divisive issues. This is a book [‘Leading Congregational Change’] you ought to read before you change anything."
    It appears that Mr. Sullivan is a change expert, not an unbiased mediator!

Mr. Sullivan, it appears, is using "Consensus Processing" to achieve a predetermined result—a change in the worship format at Madison.

It appears that some of the “shepherds” are not exactly being honest with their flock.</font>
Now, the Lipscomb situation remains to be seen. Perhaps, with Lowry, one of 6 elders at the Conejo Valley Church of Christ in Thousand Oaks, Calif., as the incoming president of the university, may be the right leader in Lipscomb’s future. However, I do have reservations. While Pepperdine is “Church of Christ-affiliated” just as is Abilene Christian, both schools now have strong ties with the Christian Church and other denominations. Lipscomb is on the verge, if it hasn’t arrived there yet. I have strong suspicions when the word “community” or the expression “community of faith” is part of the “MISSION STATEMENT” of a congregation of Christ’s church, such as that of Conejo Valley. The expression simply means “a fellowship of varying denominational backgrounds—it does not matter.”

Also suspect is the expression “purpose-driven” as in “The Purpose Driven Church” or “The Purpose Driven Life” or “Saddleback Community Church” or “Rick Warren,” etc.

Therefore, are we about to witness more of the Change Movement?

Donnie Cruz</font>
  • <font color=red>Lowry said he will aim to heighten the university's prestige and said Lipscomb will have to decide whether it wants "to remain a fairly regional school" or to "move beyond that, looking at a broader constituency of students from throughout the country."

He said that he wants to grow the school's undergraduate body—currently about 2,500—to 3,500.

"As I understand, currently about 70 percent of the students are from our church constituency, and about 30 percent of the students are from other [non-Church of Christ] faith traditions.

"My sense is that those who do not share our particular heritage can still find an outstanding educational opportunity at Lipscomb, and we want them, if they're interested in a faith-based education, to consider us."

He said he and the board very much intend to keep Lipscomb a religious school.</font>
Being semi-paranoid from all of the previous coded speech I worry about seeking a BROADER CONSTITUENCY. I don't see how you can attract a broader religious constituency without broading the faculty which is already so broad that it demonstrates no church of Christ depth.

From comments on the board it seems that much of the faculty are clearly aligned with Rubel Shelly or the further-left Otter Creek group. Some are Presbyterians and have helped steal Smith Springs by infiltrating the eldership and letting David Lawrence inculcate the PCA cult mindset. The vague hope is that Flatt left because of enough conflict arising out of stacking the faculty with people who have facilitated the division.

Here is one of the old research paper I did at the time since Donnie has brought us back. Of course, like a lawyer's clients defending a murderer does not make him a murderer. However, their thrust at the time was decidedly aimed at gaining a concensus tilted toward the change agenda. As I remember it Larry saw no consensus among the eldershipt at the time.

As usual, I have added lots of extra "bird walks" to round out the Strauss promotion of the Purpose Driven Cult. Perhaps this was just the usual commercial effort and did not intend to recommend. However, you can read Sullivan's goals for yourself:

http://www.piney.com/Strauss1.html

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

August 1st, 2005, 2:52 am #20

steve flatt is giving serious thought to running for governor of tenn. however being a preacher and college president doesn't quite give enough qualification so his friend mr adams will let him "work" at nhc for "management credentials " on his resume.

flatt, like many frustrated members of the churches of christ has grown weary with the self serving bellyaching going about as more churches seem to have lost their burden for "the lost" but have time to find fault with everyone they disagree with. it's tough being a president of a great school when the student body of today wants it be more like pepperdine and the "faithful followers" many of whom love this website, are trying to keep lipscomb more like the freed hardeman of the 70s. it's a no win job. everyday somebody 's mad and bunch of busy bodies are fussing about on this website
I think Steve loaded the faculty with PhDuhs who teach against those that pay their retirement plan. He also was a founding member of the Jubilee Incorporated which created more "turf battle" sowing of discord than at any point in church of Christ history. Of course, before he could go to Lipscomb he had to be SANITIZED by resigning the CORPORATION which was not run by a Shaller or Rick Warren and did not make it into the 500 on Wall Street.

National Health was also kind enough to give an OUT to a fairly recent BIBLE GURU. Remember? I hear that he will be more like a chaplin.

The "scholarly" garbage that flows out of LU is about like that which flows out of most of the "Christian colleges" which have been INFILTRATED and DIVERTED by people who cannot be Bible believers.

I suspect that like all of the changing of churches into "theaters for holy entertainment" the SUCKED IN SEEKERS never pay the bills. That means that those who BOUGHT AND PAID FOR LU do not think it should be STOLEN by people who are decidedly ANTI anything the church of Christ stands for. I have pushed the idea since 1997 that they can STEAL your university but you can make it AN UNFUNDED INSTITUTION. With 70% church of Christ students it should remain a church of Christ institution just like a Baptist college will always be a Baptist college and YOUR house will not be stolen by thieves. I think the news is out and if LU produces PREACHERS they will all have to work for Rubel or his few friends.

You might not appreciate other colleges which are faithful to their OWNERS but that is just the way it is. And it turns out that the views you probably LUST to infiltrate such as instrumental music, an anti baptism stance and a "broader role for women" which was Rubel Shelly's platform can be REFUTED by any one who fished Card Class, fast ones of the slow group. The junk which is trafficked by you guys about Music shows ignorance of the Bible beginning in the garden of Eden, through all of the FALLS, the end time Babylonian Whore religion, all of the church Fathers, all of the founders of denominations and the views and practices of the Catholic Church.

The GREEK scholars have never looked up the original documents and just don't know the universal connection between RELIGIONISM with "exhilaration", sexuality and perverted sexuality. No, no musical worship team can replace Lord Jesus and LEAD YOU INTO THE PRESENCE OF GOD. No, the Bible has not been FILTERED of all truth except 7 facts ABOUT Jesus. No, I have looked at your sermons for the last several years and they have used all of the RACA words against those who will not BOW when they PIPE. They have NEVER obeyed the command to "teach that which has been taught." They are always used as fodder for smooth philosophy. I would blush if I paid the best rhetorician or sophist for TAKING LIBERTIES with the Bible to construct YOUR OWN NARRATIVE or even to WRITE yourself in the place of Moses. Now, individuals do not have the right to READ, INTERPRET AND SPEAK the Bible outside of the COMMUNITY where COMMUNITY always means COMMUNE. No, the church will not be revisioned using hireling, changeling terms directly from neo-paganism and witchcraft. No, only a handfull of churches have been stolen so they can add instruments which apparently could not be tolerated by elders who tolerated Rubel "working our his own theology.

I think that the LAWYER and CONFLICT resolver is coming to resolve the conflict within the university and if I were a PLANT teaching ignorant Bible and history I would be looking for a job. The problem is that the Christian Church or no one else will hire people who have BETRAYED their PAYMASTERS. Maybe Steve will give you a job on the dole of the government.

The "scholarly" garbage that flows out of most PhDUHs is truly embarrassing to anyone who has read the ORIGINAL documents of men like the Campbells, Luther, Calvin and Paul.

I think you think that church of Christ "traditionalism" is based on the Campbells. Contrary to Rubel the Commands, Examples and necessary inferences come DIRECTLY from the Bible and was taught by most of the church fathers and is supported by men like Luther and Calvin. Steve taught that NOT using instruments was JUST OUR TRADITIONS. I don't see how you can run for governor if you don't know the universal history against any kind of MUSICAL performance. I am quite sure that you buy the dogma that the only purpose of the church is TO WORSHIP. For that, of course, you need a STAFF INFECTION. The purpose if you had ever read the Bible is that assembly or gathering uses a form of the Greek SYNAGOGUE. There was no praise service in the synagogue and any one who did performance music in the ekklesia would have been cast out forever.

I believe that what is probably husband and wife have a relationship with the preacherhood that IS THICKER THAN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST. But, I can tell you, I think the heretics at Lipscomb will not survive the SWING of the pendulum which ALWAYS swings.