Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation

January 17th, 2011, 11:20 pm #41

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]This post has been transferred to this thread:[/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]OK. This was part of the quoted post by Sonny from "wave runner":

[/color]
wave runner:

... I left there a month or so ago. Seems to me to be a rather childish site operated by a few who control and prevent any meaningful discussion. The most heated debate recently seems to center around correcting the spelling and grammar of the "liberals." ...

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 18th, 2011, 12:57 am #42

You mean Sonny "left" because he allowed ONE thread among the many threads at CM to get under his skin? Most people do not like to be corrected. Some retaliate by hurling insults and using smear tactics. Others simply leave to avoid being corrected. Those with strength and fortitude don't allow such things to get under their skin.

Roncar
Roncar

January 18th, 2011, 2:25 am #43

Dr. Crump, not everything is black or white. Here is a link for you.

http://www.grammarerrors.com/

http://www.tameri.com/edit/gramerrors.html

Physician errors are on the rise. Computer errors are declining.

Dave
Dave

January 18th, 2011, 2:35 am #44

From his desire to remain obtuse, I gather that Dave has never looked in an unabridged dictionary anywhere for "well-worded." Whether it is found under "well" or "word" makes no difference. If Dave wants to broaden his vocabulary and discard his reputation of ignorance, he will realize that "well-worded" is a legitimate word that I certainly did not invent. Does Dave really believe that words MUST stand alone in the dictionary to be legitimate? How absurd! Is Dave now dictating how words are derived? Many complex or hyphenated, legitimate words are derived from simpler words. Such is the case with "well-worded." I'm a bit surprised that Dave refuses to accept that fact. Is Dave really that obtuse? Perhaps he is. More likely, Dave pretends to be obtuse only to perpetuate his useless argument.

We know that "well-worded" can be found under "word" at dictionary.com. An example of an unabridged dictionary that presents "well-worded" under "well" is The Random House Dictionary of the English Language, Second Edition, page 2159.

Don't be so obtuse, Dave.
You can find "well-worded" under "well" in one dictionary, unabridged at that, and under "word" in another dictionary.
However, you cannot, I repeat, you CANNOT.....find the WHOLE word, "well-worded," by itself anywhere.

But it's me being obtuse?

HA! Life is soooooooooooo good!!!

Keep dancing William, for the piper is calling.

Sonny
Sonny

January 18th, 2011, 4:24 am #45

You mean Sonny "left" because he allowed ONE thread among the many threads at CM to get under his skin? Most people do not like to be corrected. Some retaliate by hurling insults and using smear tactics. Others simply leave to avoid being corrected. Those with strength and fortitude don't allow such things to get under their skin.
I simply stated that based on Brother Cruz not posting some of my messages that he may end up denying me input altogether. Perhaps Brother Crump childishly "wishes" to get under my skin and immaturely "wants" me to leave?

-Sonny

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 18th, 2011, 5:20 am #46

You can find "well-worded" under "well" in one dictionary, unabridged at that, and under "word" in another dictionary.
However, you cannot, I repeat, you CANNOT.....find the WHOLE word, "well-worded," by itself anywhere.

But it's me being obtuse?

HA! Life is soooooooooooo good!!!

Keep dancing William, for the piper is calling.
Whether "well-worded" exists by itself or not in the dictionary is not the issue. The issue is whether that word exists in the dictionary at all, which it does. Therefore, "well-worded" is not an imaginary word. It is legitimate.

As I said, don't be so obtuse, Dave.

January 18th, 2011, 8:27 am #47

I simply stated that based on Brother Cruz not posting some of my messages that he may end up denying me input altogether. Perhaps Brother Crump childishly "wishes" to get under my skin and immaturely "wants" me to leave?

-Sonny
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Sonny,

I think it was a misunderstanding. I may not have clearly stated that you were quoting from "wave runner." My bad.

Would you do me a favor? I need the source from which you quoted "wave runner." Unless it was from an e-mail correspondence between you and him, do not bother. (It was Tom Brite [a.k.a. "wave runner"] who said "bye" sometime ago.)

Sonny, I do not recall ever not posting any of your messages. Yes, I have delayed publishing some of your posts. Yes, I have edited some of your posts in which you essentially judged or condemned a Christian brother to hell -- as if to say, you were the saint.

This site disagrees with certain beliefs and activities of the change agents operating in the brotherhood. We do not question their personal lives -- only how they interfere with the affairs of congregations, subvert and cause division in the church, the bride of Christ. This site is committed to warn peaceful congregations of the activities of change agents, as certain changes are unnecessary and divisive.

Other than that, we value your contributions.[/color]

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 18th, 2011, 8:44 am #48

-Sonny
I don't have to "wish" to get under anyone's skin. People who are naturally childish and immature will allow my comments and observations to get under their skin. Perhaps that especially hits close to home with Sonny.

Fred Whaley
Fred Whaley

January 18th, 2011, 4:57 pm #49

The Doctor stubbornly refuses to alter the way he treats others. Fred understood from the beginning being his accountability partner would likely not be a short-term endeavor. It often takes older people the longest to change ingrained habits and to matriculate into maturity and more of a Christian way of living. Sonny is certainly the better man.

Fred Whaley

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 18th, 2011, 6:32 pm #50

Donnie asked me to start a special thread devoted to observations about errors in spelling and grammar--and punctuation. I am happy to comply. Since it seems that posters tend to act negatively whenever they are corrected in any way--whether it's about poor English or faulty theology--this thread at least allows us to post observations of people's English errors without mentioning specific names as such to save them from embarrassment. However, we should at least mention the thread or location wherein the error(s) is/are found and the sentence(s) or phrase(s) involved, along with the appropriate correction(s), so that the poster(s) who made the errors can study them.

Corrections to all errors should always be accompanied by a reference, either printed or online.

This is not a "class" in creative writing.

Let's not get carried away with condemning popular, recognized colloquialisms such as "kinda" and "gotta" and similar words. In fact, "kinda" (meaning "kind of") is a recognized adverb, and "gotta" (meaning "got to" or "have got to") is a recognized verb. Reference: dictionary.com.

I ask that off-topic messages--such as those with an aim to be sarcastic, to insult, and to smear others--not be posted here. Thanks.

====================

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]CM: Original post unedited.[/color]
With nearly 160 replies at this moment, this thread has the highest number of replies since the thread entitled "WHAT HAPPENED AT MADISON THIS WEEKThe Timeline (Part X)" was locked in 2006. That thread ended with nearly 280 replies. As long as this present thread remains open and at the rate people are responding, this thread could set a record with the highest number of replies in the history of Concerned Members!