Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation

Dave
Dave

January 6th, 2011, 4:46 am #21

You wouldn't be preoccupied with Dave, now would you be William? Take up a hobby son and get productive in your retirement years.

You haven't heard it in a while William, so here goes....

Life is Good!!!

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 6th, 2011, 5:02 am #22

I spend more time correcting Dave, because he makes more errors than anyone else.

January 6th, 2011, 5:05 am #23

Thread: St. Paul--How to Deal...

Errors: Dave wrote: "I believe that the more a church family [sic] together, then the better off it is...Just as Christians can make sommething [sic] wonderful out of Christmas, so too can they for Valentine's Day. The best holidays is [sic] when Christians take it [sic] and use it [sic] for the Glory of God."

Here, Dave has a combination of omitted words, typos, and disagreement between tense of subject, verb, and pronouns. Let's rewrite these sentences correctly with the corrections in boldface:

"I believe that the more a church family worships together, then the better off it is...Just as Christians can make something wonderful out of Christmas, so, too, can they for Valentine's Day. The best holidays are when Christians take them and use them for the Glory of God."

Actually, Dave's last sentence sounds better like this: "Christians should use all holidays for the glory of God."

Dave needs to slow down and proofread his messages carefully before posting them.
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]What about this? Let's just say that some folks are "speed" typists. {Just as some folks who have taken the "Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics Course" may be speed readers.)

I think Dave meant this one: "The best holiday is when Christians take it and use it for the Glory of God." Either "holiday is" or "holiday's" is correct.

Dave, are you a "speed typist"? Slow down, will you? Or, you will be ticketed by the English officer. [/color]

Dave
Dave

January 6th, 2011, 5:21 am #24

What is even better is when the english cop gets tickets, and often enough I might add.
He does what we do though.....just throw the tickets out the window and go our merry little way.

January 6th, 2011, 5:27 am #25

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]What about this? Let's just say that some folks are "speed" typists. {Just as some folks who have taken the "Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics Course" may be speed readers.)

I think Dave meant this one: "The best holiday is when Christians take it and use it for the Glory of God." Either "holiday is" or "holiday's" is correct.

Dave, are you a "speed typist"? Slow down, will you? Or, you will be ticketed by the English officer. [/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Dave,

I think your keyboard has a number of duplicate keys. Or, do you have extra fingers? Need to use M/S Word or a secretary?

Don't worry. Everyone has this problem sometimes. In my case, I need quadrifocal lenses. Yes, that many. LOL[/color]

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 6th, 2011, 6:43 am #26

What is even better is when the english cop gets tickets, and often enough I might add.
He does what we do though.....just throw the tickets out the window and go our merry little way.
That's "English cop," not "english cop." Again, Dave types too quickly and accumulates more "tickets." It's getting to the point that all Dave has to do is touch his keypad and POW--an error appears. Slow down!

Dave
Dave

January 6th, 2011, 7:11 am #27

Should POW (sic) have all capital letters? Remember here William, this only is dealing with grammar. I could care less about whether you want to give it emphasis or not. Is it proper grammar? No no no.....
The English (see I can learn William!) cop gets another ticket.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 6th, 2011, 7:50 am #28

Dave is groping at straws. Good novels and other published works often have words in capital letters for emphasis, especially if they represent a sound, such as POW, BOING, POP, BOOM, BAM, BANG, ZING, ZOOM, and similar words. Sorry Dave, but your "ticket" is junk. You really do need to expand your literary horizons.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 6th, 2011, 3:24 pm #29

The following information should interest all readers, especially Dave:

"In typography, all caps (short for 'all capitals' or 'all capitalized') refers to text or a font in which all letters are capital letters. All caps is usually used for emphasis. It is commonly seen in the titles on book covers, in advertisements and in newspaper headlines. Short strings of words in capital letters appear bolder and 'louder' than mixed case, and this is sometimes referred to as 'shouting.'[1] All caps can also be used to indicate that a given word is an acronym."

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps

Writing sentences or entire messages in all caps definitely implies shouting. Example: SHUT YOUR MOUTH, YOU LOUSY CHUMP!! However, placing certain words in all caps simply gives them emphasis, and words that represent loud noises have a better effect in typography if they appear in all caps. Example: When the old car started up, it let out a series of ear-splitting backfires--BAM POW POW BOOM!!!

If Dave will broaden his literary horizons, he will suffer fewer episodes of embarrassment.

Dave
Dave

January 6th, 2011, 4:06 pm #30

Dave is groping at straws. Good novels and other published works often have words in capital letters for emphasis, especially if they represent a sound, such as POW, BOING, POP, BOOM, BAM, BANG, ZING, ZOOM, and similar words. Sorry Dave, but your "ticket" is junk. You really do need to expand your literary horizons.
I didn't think you would keep the ticket William, as I never keep yours. I wouldn't keep a traffic violation ticket given to me by a police officer that isn't certified yet and without proper training, no more than I would keep your English cop tickets. An English cop that doesn't know English very well isn't much good to anyone.