Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation

Dave
Dave

December 30th, 2010, 9:46 pm #11

William,
Don't you guys do any dumping there.
You wouldn't have hardly anything left in anything but the den of vipers.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

December 30th, 2010, 11:48 pm #12

Thread: Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation

Error: Dave wrote: "You wouldn't have hardly [sic] anything left in anything but the den of vipers."

This statement is a double negative. "Hardly" itself has a negative connotation. When combined with "wouldn't," you have a double negative. Simply say, "You wouldn't have much of anything left but the den of vipers"; or say, "You would hardly have anything left but the den of vipers." Either way, if you eliminate one of the two negatives, you get a more polished sentence. BTW, the words "in anything" seem to be redundant. I eliminated them in the edited examples.

December 31st, 2010, 3:40 am #13

Donnie asked me to start a special thread devoted to observations about errors in spelling and grammar--and punctuation. I am happy to comply. Since it seems that posters tend to act negatively whenever they are corrected in any way--whether it's about poor English or faulty theology--this thread at least allows us to post observations of people's English errors without mentioning specific names as such to save them from embarrassment. However, we should at least mention the thread or location wherein the error(s) is/are found and the sentence(s) or phrase(s) involved, along with the appropriate correction(s), so that the poster(s) who made the errors can study them.

Corrections to all errors should always be accompanied by a reference, either printed or online.

This is not a "class" in creative writing.

Let's not get carried away with condemning popular, recognized colloquialisms such as "kinda" and "gotta" and similar words. In fact, "kinda" (meaning "kind of") is a recognized adverb, and "gotta" (meaning "got to" or "have got to") is a recognized verb. Reference: dictionary.com.

I ask that off-topic messages--such as those with an aim to be sarcastic, to insult, and to smear others--not be posted here. Thanks.

====================

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]CM: Original post unedited.[/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]AM,

Actually, there was more "slandering" and more "almost" fistfights at Faithsite [sounds like a tongue-twister]. It was practically non-moderated or moderated in absentia, although there were moderators supposedly. So, freely one argued and the other argued back.

It became a very judgmental site for the liberal and progressive religious thinkers and against the conservative Bible students. The "moderators" had paid no attention to the messages posted from both sides until the liberals reported and complained to the mod squad. What ensued was the GLOBAL BANNING of the conservative posters (funny how certain liberals were mistakenly banned as well)). Messages of the conservatives were deleted. Again ... funny how certain threads and certain posts were INADVERTENTLY DELETED IN THE PROCESS.

I'll never forgot how Dave claimed to be a "conservative." (I believe he still claims to be that here at CM.) He also "honestly and sincerely" believed (and still does) that when the real conservatives discuss the truth, they exhibit an "unChristlike" behavior and are without "love" -- LOL!!!

Yes, there was GLOBAL BANNING of conservative messengers of the truth at Faithsite, which is now defunct.[/color]

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

December 31st, 2010, 2:13 pm #14

William,
Don't you guys do any dumping there.
You wouldn't have hardly anything left in anything but the den of vipers.
Dave wrote: "You wouldn't have hardly anything left in anything but the den of vipers."

This statement is a double negative. "Hardly" has a negative connotation; when combined with "wouldn't," you have a double negative. The words "in anything" seem to be redundant. Simply say, "You wouldn't have anything left but the den of vipers" or, "You would have hardly anything left but the den of vipers."

Dave
Dave

January 1st, 2011, 9:39 pm #15

William, you were attempting to ladle out some grammar correction and spoke of...."The words "in anything" seem to be redundant."

Actually, it is only the word "anything" that is in question here, as the "the" is inconsequential.

No thank you needed.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 2nd, 2011, 3:05 am #16

If I eliminate "The" at the beginning of that sentence, I have, "Words 'in anything' seem to be redundant," which is awkward. The proper phraseology is, "The words 'in anything' seem to be redundant." "The" [definite article] is essential to call attention to specific words, which are "in anything." I could also have written that sentence as follows: "Two words that seem to be redundant are 'in anything.'"

BTW, Dave wrote: "Actually, it is only the word 'anything' that is in question here, as the [sic] 'the' is inconsequential." Saying "the 'the'" is redundant. Simply eliminate one "the": "Actually, it is only the word 'anything' that is in question here, as 'the' is inconsequential."

The more Dave tries to fault me for nailing him, the more errors he makes. Dave should heed my valuable instruction and thank me for correcting him once again.

Dave
Dave

January 5th, 2011, 2:41 am #17

I stand by my double 'the.' You are wrong William.....again.
I said..."Actually, it is only the word "anything" that is in question here, as the "the" is inconsequential."

The 'the' is in the sentence twice for reason. The reason?
It would have not made any sense without it. The first the is pointing to the "the."
See, William, I did it again, for it would not sounds right without it.
I realize that it might strike a nerve when you are wrong in your perceived specialty.
It would only hurt if you believe that you can't be wrong.

A definite trait of a narcissist. That is why I don't believe you would not have any problem being corrected and admitting you are wrong, because you say that you aren't a narcissist.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 5th, 2011, 6:18 am #18

Saying "the 'the'" is superfluous. Putting one "the" in quotation marks explicitly identifies it and makes the definite article before it unnecessary. Thus, Dave's phrase is more polished with only one "the" in quotation marks: "...as 'the' is inconsequential." BTW, Dave can review the rules for using single vs. double quotation marks.

Of course, I expect Dave to continue to be obtuse, because he would rather pull his teeth than admit that a conservative could ever be right. Dave's rabid bias and prejudice caused him to fight, kick, and scream about "well-worded," simply because I taught him that the word was a legitimate, hyphenated adjective. Eventually, Dave came to his senses and, with great reluctance, realized that I was right all along. I also happen to be right about the matter above, and Dave knows it. It's too bad that when a conservative is right, liberals like Dave holler "narcissist." Such a poor attitude will significantly hinder Dave from learning anything.

Dave
Dave

January 5th, 2011, 5:22 pm #19

William, I am glad that I can give you something to do during your days here on earth. You are getting much better at a timely response. Just make sure that you don't start slacking off. You hear me?
Does the "hollering" really bother you?
Hee Hee....
Does it sound high pitched, or rather is it a rich full-bodied bass hollering?
Just wondering since I didn't know that you could actually hear me holler via typing on the internet.
Perceived William? Do you PERCEIVE that I am hollering by my typed words?

Gonna have to buy me one of those holiday dictionaries one day too.......one day.....

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 6th, 2011, 4:32 am #20

Donnie asked me to start a special thread devoted to observations about errors in spelling and grammar--and punctuation. I am happy to comply. Since it seems that posters tend to act negatively whenever they are corrected in any way--whether it's about poor English or faulty theology--this thread at least allows us to post observations of people's English errors without mentioning specific names as such to save them from embarrassment. However, we should at least mention the thread or location wherein the error(s) is/are found and the sentence(s) or phrase(s) involved, along with the appropriate correction(s), so that the poster(s) who made the errors can study them.

Corrections to all errors should always be accompanied by a reference, either printed or online.

This is not a "class" in creative writing.

Let's not get carried away with condemning popular, recognized colloquialisms such as "kinda" and "gotta" and similar words. In fact, "kinda" (meaning "kind of") is a recognized adverb, and "gotta" (meaning "got to" or "have got to") is a recognized verb. Reference: dictionary.com.

I ask that off-topic messages--such as those with an aim to be sarcastic, to insult, and to smear others--not be posted here. Thanks.

====================

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]CM: Original post unedited.[/color]
Thread: St. Paul--How to Deal...

Errors: Dave wrote: "I believe that the more a church family [sic] together, then the better off it is...Just as Christians can make sommething [sic] wonderful out of Christmas, so too can they for Valentine's Day. The best holidays is [sic] when Christians take it [sic] and use it [sic] for the Glory of God."

Here, Dave has a combination of omitted words, typos, and disagreement between tense of subject, verb, and pronouns. Let's rewrite these sentences correctly with the corrections in boldface:

"I believe that the more a church family worships together, then the better off it is...Just as Christians can make something wonderful out of Christmas, so, too, can they for Valentine's Day. The best holidays are when Christians take them and use them for the Glory of God."

Actually, Dave's last sentence sounds better like this: "Christians should use all holidays for the glory of God."

Dave needs to slow down and proofread his messages carefully before posting them.