Some Churches "Rest" on Christmas Sunday

B
B

December 23rd, 2011, 5:12 pm #1

An interesting article entitled "On Christmas Day, some churches rest" appeared on the front page of a newspaper this morning. Even though Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, a number of "megachurches" have decided that they will take a "rest" from services so that staff and members "may be with their families." Instead, these churches are running multiple services on Saturday, Christmas Eve. These churches must be following the example of stores that post signs saying, "We will be closed on Christmas Day so that our employees may be with their families." Overall though, most churches will still hold services on Christmas Day. For the others, well, Christianity is "evolving."

December 23rd, 2011, 5:34 pm #2

As you well know the Greek Pauo has the same meaning as sabbath: rest means rest. As used widely in the Greek it means STOP IT: just stop it. Whatever you are doing just "come to me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you REST."

Having Sunday as a REST day is subconscious or unconscious confession that THEIR Sunday was a WORK day. But--not for laying by in store. They will DOUBLE UP the burden just when you thought that you had WORKED long enough to not need someone to mediate you in song, sermon and collecting your EXCESS food money.

The burden Jesus died to remove includes all of the for-sale performances but also defines "a tax imposed not in time of war."

December 23rd, 2011, 7:09 pm #3

An interesting article entitled "On Christmas Day, some churches rest" appeared on the front page of a newspaper this morning. Even though Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, a number of "megachurches" have decided that they will take a "rest" from services so that staff and members "may be with their families." Instead, these churches are running multiple services on Saturday, Christmas Eve. These churches must be following the example of stores that post signs saying, "We will be closed on Christmas Day so that our employees may be with their families." Overall though, most churches will still hold services on Christmas Day. For the others, well, Christianity is "evolving."
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]To mega churches of Christ, Christmas is evolving. This or evolution reminds me of the "boiling the frog" story.

The "beautiful" Christmas tree was already on the stage a couple of Sundays ago for also the "traditional" assembly members of Madison to see. Well, it's only a decorated tree, you know.

Madison may not be quite ready for any type of "Saturday evening service" yet (in lieu of a Sunday gathering). [Maybe, the Texas churches are more progressive/liberal and ahead of the game than the Tennessee churches.] But Madison will be having a "combined Sunday worship service" period at a different time.

The "traditional" group experiencing more exposure to the "contemporary" ways of doing things. Christmas celebration??? Praise Team music ... PT singers not visibly occupying the front rows ... with personal microphones ... without personal microphones ... limited rhythmic handclapping????

"Boiling the frog" has been going on for quite some time now. What should the frog do?[/color]

December 24th, 2011, 12:11 am #4

I don't know how much responsibility we have: it may be that frogs which CAN be boiled are just frogs after all. Jesus doesn't give any hope to the blind who follow the blind.

Can't resist being a disciple

Matthew 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

sno to let, suffer, allow, permit, give leave (syn.: permitto, patior, tolero, fero);

Luke 6:39 And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

The Pit in the prophets is where "lucifer" goes with her harps and buried-alive harpists.

Empitn , poet. for empipt,
A. fall upon, eis homilon B.9.24; tini A. Ag.1468 (lyr.), Supp.120 (lyr.), cf. S.Aj.58. generally, tumult, confusion,
Hdt. 3.127 [2] He had recourse, then, to the following expedient: having summoned an assembly of the most prominent Persians, he addressed them as follows: Persians, which of you will promise to do this for me, not with force and numbers, but by cunning? Where there is need for cunning, force has no business.

Homi_l-os A. any assembled crowd, throng of people, for a feast, Od.1.225 ; for a spectacle,

Bacchyl. Ep. 9 Graces [prostitute musicians] with golden distaffs, give fame, which moves the minds of men; for the divinely inspired prophet of the violet-eyed Muses is ready to sing the praises of Phlius and [5] the flourishing plain of Nemean Zeus, where white-armed Hera reared the sheep-slaughtering, deep-voiced lion, the first of Heracles' far-famed labors. [10] There the heroes with red shields, the best of the Argives, held games for the first time in honor of Archemorus, whom a fiery-eyed monstrous dragon killed in his sleep: a sign of the slaughter to come. [15] Powerful fate! The son of Oicles could not persuade them to go back to the streets thronged with good men.
Hope robs men [of their sense]: it was she who then sent Adrastus son of Talaus [20] to Thebes ... to Polyneices ... The mortal men who crown their golden hair with the triennial garland from those glorious games in Nemea are illustrious;

Aesch. Supp. 120
Chorus
I invoke Apia's hilly landfor well, O land, you understand my barbarous speech, [120] and many times I lay my hands upon my Sidonian veil and tear its linen fabric to shreds.
Luke 6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

fovea , ae, f. kindred with favissae, I. a small pit, esp. for taking wild BEASTS, a pit fall,

Verg. G. 3.558
With bleat of flocks and lowings thick resound
Rivers and parched banks and sloping heights.
At last in crowds she slaughters them, she chokes
The very stalls with carrion-heaps that rot
In hideous corruption, till men learn
With earth to cover them, in pits to hide.
For e'en the fells are useless
;
nor the flesh With water may they purge, or tame with fire,