Skits?

B
B

August 9th, 2012, 6:16 pm #11

And He did it without the "aid" or "accompaniment" or "enhancement" of trained actors, dazzling sets, glitzy costumes, professional singers and musicians, choreographers, or choir.

August 9th, 2012, 6:46 pm #12

Jesus stood up to READ in the synagogue and then sat down.
He went OUT to preach: He said for that reason came I out.

The progressives say that Jesus OWNED a house and therefore told a lie.

So we have a Direct command to Go.
We have the ONLY example of Jesus
So, can we infer that the word GO means to GO.

The Gospel of the KINGDOM does not intend to manipulate people into wanting to get baptized: It is like a Go-NoGo test. If you are a lost spirit Jesus was sent to SEEK and SAVE then you will--like a lost sheep--hear His Voice. Those OF the world for which Jesus would not even pray do NOT hear the voice of the Shepherd and leave the fold and follow the wolves.

A faithful preacher CANNOT enhance the Word presuming to guild the lily. His job is to press or "teach that which has been taught"

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

apodekhomai , 2. accept as a teacher, follow, X.Mem.4.1.1,etc.; a. tina sumboulon Pl.Prt.323c.

A hypocrite is defined as a performance speaker or any of the performing arts and crafts (Rom 15 Self-pleasers, making group-decisions to please the masses).

Racnor
Racnor

August 9th, 2012, 9:55 pm #13

And He did it without the "aid" or "accompaniment" or "enhancement" of trained actors, dazzling sets, glitzy costumes, professional singers and musicians, choreographers, or choir.
Hey "B", you left out PA system.

B
B

August 10th, 2012, 1:27 am #14

Let's be realistic, Racnor. PA systems as we now know them were not available to Jesus in His day. The other show-biz items I mentioned had their equivalents at the time, yet Jesus had no need for them. But suppose PA systems had been available back then to enable the crowds to hear the Gospel better. Would Jesus have used them? I guess we'll never know.

B
B

August 10th, 2012, 1:57 am #15

Here's something else to consider: Did you ever think that, even had PA systems been available at the time, Jesus may not have needed them, because He miraculously was able to make Himself heard to crowds of any size?

Racnor
Racnor

August 10th, 2012, 2:29 am #16

Let's be realistic, Racnor. PA systems as we now know them were not available to Jesus in His day. The other show-biz items I mentioned had their equivalents at the time, yet Jesus had no need for them. But suppose PA systems had been available back then to enable the crowds to hear the Gospel better. Would Jesus have used them? I guess we'll never know.
Just having a bit of fun with you "B". I agree, we will never know.

Tom Brite
Tom Brite

August 10th, 2012, 4:57 pm #17

Well said. It is important that the skitter understands the text. Some things can be acted others out. I would not want to play the God role.

Dramatic dance by young girls as liturgy seems like dancing in tongues.
Ken, I agree with your comments. We have all probably been a part of a good puppet lesson for kiddos, but things can be taken too far. I think things for kids have their place and it may even be appropriate on a Sunday night or two a year. There is nothing wrong with showing the rest of the congregation what the children are learning in their bible classes or even separate worship settings if that is what the congregation chooses to do.

Racnor
Racnor

August 11th, 2012, 4:32 pm #18

The unforgettable quote made from the stage Sunday was,

"We can worship God anyway that we please."

This is a fact.
The unforgettable quote made from the stage Sunday was,

What was the context around the statement? I am not trying to defend the statement. Just curious.

August 11th, 2012, 8:11 pm #19

There is no possible context which would rescue that arrogant person: The "laded burden" silenced by Jesus and the "Self-pleasure" condemned by Paul in Romans 15 before defining THE ONE PIECE PATTERN: "Use one mind and one mouth to speak that which is written for out learning." Giving heed to reading the Word of Christ is the ONLY worship concept defined in the New Testament or for the synagogue or Church of Christ in the wilderness by the Spirit of Christ (the Rock). The Lord's Supper is a showing forth or TEACHING confession that Jesus died for us.

http://www.piney.com/MuJWMc.html

J. W. McGarvey
You ask: "How can I most successfully show that the use of the organ in the worship is wrong? What are the strong points of the argument?"

I think you put the question in the proper form. If the "strong points of the argument" will not convince, it is certain that the weak ones will not; and it is well to save words by discussing the former alone.

I begin by arguing that the practice belongs to a class of things expressly condemned in the New Testament.

Jesus said in reference to certain additions which the Pharisees had made to the ritual of the law: "In vain do they worship me, teaching as their doctrines the precepts of men." In these words he propounds the doctrine that all worship is vain which originates in human authority; or, to put it negatively, that no worship is acceptable to God which he himself has not authorized.

Paul echoes this teaching when he condemns as "will worship" the observance of, ordinances "after the precepts and doctrines of men." (Col. 2: 20-23, R. V.)

The Greek word here rendered "will worship" means worship self-imposed, as distinguished from worship imposed by God; and the practices referred to in the context are condemned on this ground, thus showing that all self-imposed worship is wrong in the sight of God.

B
B

August 13th, 2012, 12:32 am #20

Ken, I agree with your comments. We have all probably been a part of a good puppet lesson for kiddos, but things can be taken too far. I think things for kids have their place and it may even be appropriate on a Sunday night or two a year. There is nothing wrong with showing the rest of the congregation what the children are learning in their bible classes or even separate worship settings if that is what the congregation chooses to do.
"...if that is what the congregation chooses to do."

That sounds like it might be a first cousin to, "We can worship God any way that we please."

In that sense, some congregations may believe that how they worship doesn't matter as long as the majority of the congregants choose to do it that way.

Of course, the New Testament doesn't give us permission to do as we please, either in our daily living or in worship.