Reply to Servant's Post on the Jeff Walling and Instrumental Music Thread

Jimmy Wren
Jimmy Wren

December 5th, 2006, 4:47 am #1

Servant writes: "God commands us to sing. Does He tell us how to sing? NO!"

Jimmy replies: Servant this is one reason that I hope you did not succeed in you run for elder at your church. Not only does God tell us how to sing in the New Testament but God also tells us what to sing!

Read the Scriptures again. Paul writes: "...I will sing with the Spirit and I will sing with the understanding." (1 Cor. 14:15) Paul writes of our singing as being "teaching and admonishing" to one another. Paul said that the lyrics we speak are to be from God, Himself, when he writes that psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs are to be our only teaching and admonishing tools durning this time of praise.

There is no entertaintment mentioned; There are no chosen voices; all are to speak/sing/teach/admonish one another with the Word of God.

Of all the Churches of Christ mentioned in the Bible, none are mentioned in regard to having "great singing." Churches are mentioned for their elders, their deacons, their works, their members but not for their great singing. Great singing, as used by some modern churches, is of recent orgin, i.e. within the last several hundred years.

The Scripture that makes mentions of Paul and Silas sanging praises at midnight and the prisoners heard them has great meaning to it. The meaning being that the prisoners were taught of God! The prisoners were admonished of God! In fact when the gates were opened the prisoners did not even try to leave the unattended prison! Why do you suppose that none of the prisoners left? "All of the doors were opened! Everyone's bands was loosed!"(Acts 16:26) Yet no one left! No, not one! This may be attributed to the teachings of Paul and Silas in the songs they sang. The Bible says that every one heard Paul and Silas.

Servant, if you would do a study of "singing schools" in American towns, you will find they originated in dance halls and beer joints, not in churches. Yet it is churches that promote them today!

In Christ,
Jimmy
Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on December 13th, 2006, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Servant
Servant

December 6th, 2006, 11:09 pm #2

Jimmy:
You aren't very welcome at FaithSite.com and as you can see with this type of negativity with your post here, there is a reason why.

Jimmy, the scripture you quoted from Paul....""...I will sing with the Spirit and I will sing with the understanding." (1 Cor. 14:15) does NOT address HOW to sing, hence the word "WITH." THat word (with) tells you WHAT (not how) to use to fulfill the singing. Jimmy, perhaps a bit of fundamental grammar verbage and language training could help you out here, and keep you from embarrassing yourself again.
It does point to a fundamental flaw of someone grasping at ANYTHING to prove a point which is unprovable. You prefer acapella, so to preserve that sanctity and tradition you will try anything that sounds even close to fact which might lead one into concluding a true premise for your deduction.
It still comes down to God NEVER ever condeming instrumental music. Bill Crump used the analogy of God's silence not being adequate for using drugs. God didn't say not to use them, so is it ok?
Do you see what I mean Jimmy? This is desperation for you and many others to save a tradition. It is pure desperation. This whole website is desperation in motion. Trying to make preferrences binding when there are only just that....PREFERRENCES.
As for your singing schools, I am guessing that the part about them originating in dance halls and beer joints would date back to the Psalms in the OT also? When King David pleased the Lord, you do notice that he used everything within his power to do so???
I know Jimmy....that isn't the NT, and we do not adhere to sacrifices and burnt offerings, so we should just cut the OT out of our Bibles, right?
Jimmy, you guys really really make it easy!

Galations 5: 19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Jimmy, where do you see ANYWHERE in those sins listed about instrumental music? You also notice that Paul is speaking of these sins as being OBVIOUS??? Bill Crump's drugs would come under OBVIOUS....it could be under either impurity or debauchery, and drunkeness since drugs were not a big part of Paul's society, but still bringing on a similiar "under the influence" feeling.
LIFE IS GOOD!!!
PRAISE GOD!!!

Thank you!!!

Mark Waggoner
Mark Waggoner

December 7th, 2006, 2:07 pm #3

I find it interesting that those on one side of an issue often accuse those who oppose their views of something that they are guilty of themselves! Instead of personal attacks, would any advocate of using instrumental music in Christian worship please PROVE that this practice is sanctioned by scripture? As far as the sins listed in Galatians 5:19ff goes, the use of instrumental music in worship falls into more than one of these "obvious" sins. 1) Since instrumental music in worship is without any NT authority, man is substituting his own authority over God's - this is idolatry. 2) In I Corinthians 4:6, Paul says that those who go beyond (progress) what is written are arrogant - this is selfish ambition. 3) Those who began and perpetuate the use of musical instruments in worship cause dissention in the brotherhood - these are dissentions. 4) The result of these three sins was the creation of factions - at least two distinct denominations that were born out of instrumental music in worship (the Christian Church denomination and the Disciples of Christ denomination). It should be noted that Paul concluded "the list" with the words, "and the like" or "things similar to these" to indicate that "the list" was not limited to the sins specifically mentioned. I close my response as Paul closed the Galatian letter, "If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, boastful, provoking one another, envying one another."

Mark Waggoner

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

December 7th, 2006, 2:11 pm #4

Servant writes: "God commands us to sing. Does He tell us how to sing? NO!"

Jimmy replies: Servant this is one reason that I hope you did not succeed in you run for elder at your church. Not only does God tell us how to sing in the New Testament but God also tells us what to sing!

Read the Scriptures again. Paul writes: "...I will sing with the Spirit and I will sing with the understanding." (1 Cor. 14:15) Paul writes of our singing as being "teaching and admonishing" to one another. Paul said that the lyrics we speak are to be from God, Himself, when he writes that psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs are to be our only teaching and admonishing tools durning this time of praise.

There is no entertaintment mentioned; There are no chosen voices; all are to speak/sing/teach/admonish one another with the Word of God.

Of all the Churches of Christ mentioned in the Bible, none are mentioned in regard to having "great singing." Churches are mentioned for their elders, their deacons, their works, their members but not for their great singing. Great singing, as used by some modern churches, is of recent orgin, i.e. within the last several hundred years.

The Scripture that makes mentions of Paul and Silas sanging praises at midnight and the prisoners heard them has great meaning to it. The meaning being that the prisoners were taught of God! The prisoners were admonished of God! In fact when the gates were opened the prisoners did not even try to leave the unattended prison! Why do you suppose that none of the prisoners left? "All of the doors were opened! Everyone's bands was loosed!"(Acts 16:26) Yet no one left! No, not one! This may be attributed to the teachings of Paul and Silas in the songs they sang. The Bible says that every one heard Paul and Silas.

Servant, if you would do a study of "singing schools" in American towns, you will find they originated in dance halls and beer joints, not in churches. Yet it is churches that promote them today!

In Christ,
Jimmy
Jimmy,

Notice in the other thread, Servant implied that, since God did not tell us "how to sing," we can add what we wish to supplement the singing, such as mechanical instruments. Actually, Servant confused the "mechanics of singing" with "supplementation to singing."

God didn't need to tell us "how to sing," because for many eons of time, human beings have known "how to sing" or the mechanics of singing. It simply involves forcing air from the lungs up through the larynx (voice box or "Adam's apple") with synchronized movements of the lips, jaw, and tongue, along with holding certain sounds for precise periods of time, which creates "singing." That is "how we sing" or the mechanics of singing.

But Christ through the apostle Paul did authorize us to supplement our singing with a form of "accompaniment": making melody in the heart. Eph. 5:19 and Col. 3:16 make metaphorical references to the "heart" or the soul, whence all our true, spiritual melodies come. We are to engage in physical singing with our voices, but the spiritual melodies are generated in the heart or soul, not with mechanical instruments.

Christ through the apostle Paul authorized singing, accompanied by making melody in the heart. Therefore, the latter is the only form of supplementation or accompaniment to singing that Christians are to use in worship.

(BTW, any time people sing and make melody in the heart and direct that specifically to God, they worship Him.)

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

December 7th, 2006, 4:54 pm #5

I find it interesting that those on one side of an issue often accuse those who oppose their views of something that they are guilty of themselves! Instead of personal attacks, would any advocate of using instrumental music in Christian worship please PROVE that this practice is sanctioned by scripture? As far as the sins listed in Galatians 5:19ff goes, the use of instrumental music in worship falls into more than one of these "obvious" sins. 1) Since instrumental music in worship is without any NT authority, man is substituting his own authority over God's - this is idolatry. 2) In I Corinthians 4:6, Paul says that those who go beyond (progress) what is written are arrogant - this is selfish ambition. 3) Those who began and perpetuate the use of musical instruments in worship cause dissention in the brotherhood - these are dissentions. 4) The result of these three sins was the creation of factions - at least two distinct denominations that were born out of instrumental music in worship (the Christian Church denomination and the Disciples of Christ denomination). It should be noted that Paul concluded "the list" with the words, "and the like" or "things similar to these" to indicate that "the list" was not limited to the sins specifically mentioned. I close my response as Paul closed the Galatian letter, "If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, boastful, provoking one another, envying one another."

Mark Waggoner
Mark,

Thanks for your excellent post. Since advocates of instrumental music (IM) obviously cannot PROVE that the New Testament Scriptures sanction (authorize) instruments in Christian worship (because such an authorization does not exist in the NT), they take a "back door" approach, similar to that which Martin Luther advocated. In the Jeff Walling thread, John Waddey's essay made reference to Luther's comment that, "I can do anything the Bible does not condemn." This is true, but only if it does not contradict or override those practices that God has already stipulated and authorized in matters pertaining to worship and doctrine. God does not condemn instruments as such because He doesn't need to. Since God has specifically stipulated and authorized that vocal music in singing is the type of music that we are to use in Christian worship, the use of IM goes beyond what God has authorized and hence is an act of rebellion. Yet advocates of IM and other unauthorized worship/doctrinal practices would burden God with the task of making a list of every conceivable "Thou shalt" and "Thou shalt not" to cover every possible situation known to man. Such advocates might as well say, "We're not content to abide by God's specific directives and stop there; we want Him to list for us everything on earth He sanctions or doesn't sanction. If not, we will take matters into our own hands and do as we please." That indeed is rebellion of the highest order.

Servant
Servant

December 7th, 2006, 11:11 pm #6

Mark Waggoner
Mark:
It goes back to having God's authority for everything during the "sacred" hour. I saracstically say this because we hold everything "sacred" in that one hour, where there is no example of such, but is something that we have created on our own. We dress up, and make those who feel less unfortunate to have a tie and coat not wanting to come to such a service. I heard Bill Crump speaking of this "giving of the best of ourselves" and thinking that it meant dress and appearance, when Bill knows himself that the ONLY thing that God looks at is the heart. Perhaps the church that Bill Crump attends (or anyone else for that matter goes) doesn't have anyone below the middle class social status that attends and therefore can make such an inappropriate statement and feel good about it.
Also Mark, you can say that about the lack of authority for instumental music, but let someone say something about these and YOUR nice church buildings, and all the lavishness inside of the buildings, and then it's a different issue, isn't it???
Instead of using our money to feed the poor, and taking care of those less unfortuntat than us, we build and amplify and furnish, etc. these buildings.
And no Mark, using instrumental music in the worship service would not be substituting man's authority over God. Therefore it cannot be idolatry or any other sin. If you need further explanation, please see the referrence about PREFERRENCE.
Please also refer back to where I spoke on the great commission and how WE CHOOSE the method of going out to spread the Gospel. God said GO.....He did not tell us how.
God tells us to sing, so for someone to say that using an instrument to accompany that singing is sinful in itself. It is like man taking on what God would do Himself. IF GOD DID NOT WANT INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC IN THE WORSHIP HOUR, then HE WOULD HAVE SAID SO. He didn't say so, as He didn't tell us HOW to go and spread the Gospel.
As for I Corinthians 4:6, does that have any relevance here??? Thank you.
How could Paul be talking of something that had NOT even been written yet, especially since he said that he was applying it to himself. Who could be writing for him Mark??? Paul was the writer, remember?
ALso, since history can not show accurate proof that instruments were not with the first century church, how do you know that it did not BEGIN with them? If the first century church did use them, then you would be actually condeming all of the first century church.
The NT left out a lot of information, as their would never be enough pages to tell everything. It did not give us very much information on worship, daily living, or even personal information about the apostles. It did however show that we should love our God with everything, love each other and NOT judge each other as I Corinthians chapter 4 verse 5 speaks about.
Hey Mark.... let me slide this in here and tell Bill Crump that we DO have examples of David in the Old Testament about David pleasing God with the instrument. We do NOT, however, have any examples of using ketchup and cola as substitutes for the emblems of the blood and the bread.
Yes Bill and you can tell J Waddey for me....that analogy is really AWFUL.
Oh, that analogy of making a melody in your heart being accurate accompanement to singing is also awful.
Common senese tells you that if you don't make a melody in your heart when you sing to God, then you ARE NOT Praising Him.
David praised God with an instument and made a meldody in his heart to God also. Wow!!!! Does that sound too hard to do??? No, if you really love God.
I guess some people want to continue to take the common sense factor out of the Bible. Remember again the parable of the talents.
Tell me again about the relevance of David not being sufficient because he was connected with sacrifices, and burnt offerings and I will tell you that you DO NOT in ANY way know the Love of God.

Jimmy Joe
Jimmy Joe

December 8th, 2006, 5:43 am #7

Jimmy,

Notice in the other thread, Servant implied that, since God did not tell us "how to sing," we can add what we wish to supplement the singing, such as mechanical instruments. Actually, Servant confused the "mechanics of singing" with "supplementation to singing."

God didn't need to tell us "how to sing," because for many eons of time, human beings have known "how to sing" or the mechanics of singing. It simply involves forcing air from the lungs up through the larynx (voice box or "Adam's apple") with synchronized movements of the lips, jaw, and tongue, along with holding certain sounds for precise periods of time, which creates "singing." That is "how we sing" or the mechanics of singing.

But Christ through the apostle Paul did authorize us to supplement our singing with a form of "accompaniment": making melody in the heart. Eph. 5:19 and Col. 3:16 make metaphorical references to the "heart" or the soul, whence all our true, spiritual melodies come. We are to engage in physical singing with our voices, but the spiritual melodies are generated in the heart or soul, not with mechanical instruments.

Christ through the apostle Paul authorized singing, accompanied by making melody in the heart. Therefore, the latter is the only form of supplementation or accompaniment to singing that Christians are to use in worship.

(BTW, any time people sing and make melody in the heart and direct that specifically to God, they worship Him.)
Gentlemen,
I would like to get a little more technical. If one cannot carry a tune in a bucket (and I know a few people in that catagory) and attempts to sing, is that really considered singing or just making noise. Also, if one voluntarily remains silent during the song service would that be considered as not worshiping. This is an open question as it applies to either with or without instruments.

Mark Waggoner
Mark Waggoner

December 8th, 2006, 2:39 pm #8

Mark:
It goes back to having God's authority for everything during the "sacred" hour. I saracstically say this because we hold everything "sacred" in that one hour, where there is no example of such, but is something that we have created on our own. We dress up, and make those who feel less unfortunate to have a tie and coat not wanting to come to such a service. I heard Bill Crump speaking of this "giving of the best of ourselves" and thinking that it meant dress and appearance, when Bill knows himself that the ONLY thing that God looks at is the heart. Perhaps the church that Bill Crump attends (or anyone else for that matter goes) doesn't have anyone below the middle class social status that attends and therefore can make such an inappropriate statement and feel good about it.
Also Mark, you can say that about the lack of authority for instumental music, but let someone say something about these and YOUR nice church buildings, and all the lavishness inside of the buildings, and then it's a different issue, isn't it???
Instead of using our money to feed the poor, and taking care of those less unfortuntat than us, we build and amplify and furnish, etc. these buildings.
And no Mark, using instrumental music in the worship service would not be substituting man's authority over God. Therefore it cannot be idolatry or any other sin. If you need further explanation, please see the referrence about PREFERRENCE.
Please also refer back to where I spoke on the great commission and how WE CHOOSE the method of going out to spread the Gospel. God said GO.....He did not tell us how.
God tells us to sing, so for someone to say that using an instrument to accompany that singing is sinful in itself. It is like man taking on what God would do Himself. IF GOD DID NOT WANT INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC IN THE WORSHIP HOUR, then HE WOULD HAVE SAID SO. He didn't say so, as He didn't tell us HOW to go and spread the Gospel.
As for I Corinthians 4:6, does that have any relevance here??? Thank you.
How could Paul be talking of something that had NOT even been written yet, especially since he said that he was applying it to himself. Who could be writing for him Mark??? Paul was the writer, remember?
ALso, since history can not show accurate proof that instruments were not with the first century church, how do you know that it did not BEGIN with them? If the first century church did use them, then you would be actually condeming all of the first century church.
The NT left out a lot of information, as their would never be enough pages to tell everything. It did not give us very much information on worship, daily living, or even personal information about the apostles. It did however show that we should love our God with everything, love each other and NOT judge each other as I Corinthians chapter 4 verse 5 speaks about.
Hey Mark.... let me slide this in here and tell Bill Crump that we DO have examples of David in the Old Testament about David pleasing God with the instrument. We do NOT, however, have any examples of using ketchup and cola as substitutes for the emblems of the blood and the bread.
Yes Bill and you can tell J Waddey for me....that analogy is really AWFUL.
Oh, that analogy of making a melody in your heart being accurate accompanement to singing is also awful.
Common senese tells you that if you don't make a melody in your heart when you sing to God, then you ARE NOT Praising Him.
David praised God with an instument and made a meldody in his heart to God also. Wow!!!! Does that sound too hard to do??? No, if you really love God.
I guess some people want to continue to take the common sense factor out of the Bible. Remember again the parable of the talents.
Tell me again about the relevance of David not being sufficient because he was connected with sacrifices, and burnt offerings and I will tell you that you DO NOT in ANY way know the Love of God.
I won't spend much time responding to the attempts to deflect the discussion into other areas. Whether I wear a suit to worship (I typically do not) or worship in a "lavish" building (I do not) is irrelevant. You are correct in that God looks at our hearts; however, our obedience reveals what is in our hearts.

Regarding your comment on history; history is the study of WHAT HAPPENED and not of what did NOT happen. History shows that instrumental music in worship did not become an issue until the 5th century and it was quickly rejected as sin. Even the founders of the major protestant denominations all opposed the practice. It is a relatively recent deviation from God's word.

If instrumental music in worship is truly a "preference" and not sin, then neither is infant baptism. I could list other endless deviations but let's stick with this one. How could we argue against pedobaptism when it is not mentioned in scripture? According to your logic, we cannot. You stated, "IF GOD DID NOT WANT INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC IN THE WORSHIP HOUR, then HE WOULD HAVE SAID SO. He didn't say so, as He didn't tell us HOW to go and spread the Gospel." Substitute ANYTHING not explicity forbidden in scripture for "instrumental music" in your words and you can't object to it!

I Corinthians 4:6 most definately has significance. It is true that the entire NT had not yet been written but that does not change what Christ, through Paul, commanded. Later in this letter, chapter 13 to be exact, Paul tells us that "the perfect" will come and to state that this verse would not apply to that is ridiculous. I do not presume to speak for God because He has spoken. You correctly pointed out that there was too much to record in the NT; however, if He had to explictly tell us everything NOT to do - what chance would we have of even being able to read it? How much more would there have been to record?

It is tragic that people are wagering their eternal home on what the Bible does NOT say. I can picture people standing before God whining; "You didn't say not to...". How do you think that He will respond?

Mark Waggoner

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

December 8th, 2006, 5:18 pm #9

Mark: "It is tragic that people are wagering their eternal home on what the Bible does NOT say."

It's also tragic that people waste so much of their lives perpetually agonizing over what the New Testament does NOT say and endlessly searching day and night for loopholes to insert and supplement that which the New Testament does not address. Such practice stems from the man-contrived doctrines, prejudices, and preferences of denominationalism; in short, from a spirit of rebellion.

How much simpler it would be for all Christians to trust what is written exactly in the NT at face value, nothing more, nothing less, and apply it to their lives. If all Christians did this, there would indeed be true spiritual unity.

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

December 8th, 2006, 11:24 pm #10

Gentlemen,
I would like to get a little more technical. If one cannot carry a tune in a bucket (and I know a few people in that catagory) and attempts to sing, is that really considered singing or just making noise. Also, if one voluntarily remains silent during the song service would that be considered as not worshiping. This is an open question as it applies to either with or without instruments.
Jimmy Joe: Let me repeat, repeat, repeat, the SYNAGOGUE was a school of the Bible. There was no preaching other than what Paul ocmmanded Timothy. There was no praise service. The Psalms were used as part of the TEXTPOOK and history notes that the 'Psalms were sung as a schoolboy READS the hallel" (those hallel psalms were the ONLY hymns).

Paul used the word SPEAK and put both the singing AND melody in the place of the HEART or mind: they plucked heart strings all the time in the literature. Singing in an exciting sense was intended to PSALLO the literal heart meaning to BREAK it to induce fear. Paul outlawed that as SELF-PLEASING in Romans 15 where he gives the TOTAL DEFINITION of the assembly or synagogue.

"Singing" as a RITUAL of the public assembly arrived close to the year 400 AFTER they introduced preaching and self-composed songs. This was a product of pagan priests who shifted over to the church long after Constantine first paid preachers. The Catholic Encyclopedia says that they brought MUSIC because it was "common to all pagan cults."

The word SPEAK as in the LOGOS or word EXCLUDES music of any form. This was to outlaw singing which made LEARNING impossible and the mental affliciton of the infirm (Romans 14). Speak is what you do when you TEACH and ADMONISH "one another" using "that which is written" or scripture. There is no role for the IDOLATRY OF TALENT and the church Jesus founded and defined perfectly has NO ROLE for human skill: that would be LEGALISTIC, you know.

All history knows that when you shift from SPEAK or SAY to sing (even the non musical form) it is both a MARK and a CAUSE of growing effeminancy. I have posted some research notes on the Richland forum and have no intention of responding. Under Farmer's Branch Running Dry I will prove to those with ears and eyes that the PUSH for music is a gender problem or ALL known history is wrong:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/177121/

Under Farmer's Branch Runs Dry.