Robert
Robert

July 4th, 2006, 2:54 am #11

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>So, Robert, what is the name of the 4000-people Community Church that “seceded” from the church of Christ at _________? When you said “grew out of,” did you mean “replaced” or “taken over” so that the original church does not exist anymore? Or, is the original church still there but hasn’t grown, and can you give us reasons why not?

You have a point about those silly discussions and debates. Help me understand if those silly debates exist only in churches of Christ? Better yet, could you provide some stats as follows:
  • # of members of the type of church that does not allow a kitchen sink or a restroom;
  • # of members of the church that uses several pitch pipes to start a song;
  • # of members of the church whose men wear skirts and whose women wear pants;
  • # of members of the church that considers vinegar as a cholesterol-lowering substance;
  • # of … [well, this list can be really extensive … you know].
In other words, I think I have proven how silly your list of non-essentials really is.

We know about those Community Churches that use band-aids really well. What’s the matter?</font>
Hello Donnie. I agree with your point - it is funny looking back 30 years later how important everyone thought those debates were. In hindsight, they don't matter at all.

As far as the question, the church we attend is the Cross Timbers Commmunity Church. Several families left a church of Christ in the area six years ago to form this church. It did not "take over" the existing church. As far as the church of Christ is concerned, I don't know where it stands as we have never attended there.

To answer your last comment ("We know about those Community Churches that use band-aids really well. What’s the matter?"), I don't know what you mean. We have a band (actually several), and I love it. I don't know what your "what's the matter" comment refers to, as there is nothing the matter. If you clarify, I will give you an answer.

Grace and peace to you, and may God bless His body of believers.

-Robert.

July 4th, 2006, 3:21 am #12

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Here’s the latest news on the ecumenical move to “unite” churches of Christ with the Christian Church. Now we know for sure where Jeff Walling of the Providence Road Church of Christ in Charlotte, N.C., really stands on instrumental music. We’ve posted articles regarding this change agent before.

Remember—history repeats itself. If this merger attempt succeeds, time will come that the church will split again just because certain church leaders are around to please others instead of God. Yeah, right, unity with the Christian Church on their terms?</font>
  • <table width="93%" border="0"><tr><td valign="top" width="100%">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff">

<font class="option" style="font-size: 15pt">News - Instrumental, a cappella church leaders exchange Bibles in show of acceptance</font></td></tr>
    <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <table border="0" width="98%" align="center"><tr><td>
    <font class="option" style="font-size: 10pt">By Bobby Ross Jr.
    The Christian Chronicle

LOUISVILLE, KY. – In an emotional display of love and acceptance, several prominent leaders of a cappella Churches of Christ and instrumental Christian Churches exchanged personal Bibles at the North American Christian Convention on Thursday night.

Keynote speaker Jeff Walling, pulpit minister of the Providence Road Church of Christ in Charlotte, N.C., challenged the roughly 7,000 people who packed the Kentucky International Convention Center to go home and do the same.

“Are you willing to go home and shape the future of our brotherhood for our children by reaching out because of grace to say, ‘I love you in the name of Jesus Christ, brother?’” Walling asked the crowd. “And if somebody says, ‘Well, he’s a brother in error,’ you tell him, ‘Do we have any other kind?’

“We are all in error,” Walling added. “That’s why we come every Sunday to say, ‘God, forgive us.”

Almost everyone in the audience – which convention organizers said included as many as 1,000 members of a cappella congregations – stood and accepted the challenge.

The dramatic exchange of Bibles capped the third, and final, night of the North American Christian Convention, an annual meeting of instrumental Christian Churches.

With the theme “Together in Christ,” the convention has focused this week on fostering better relations between the instrumental and a cappella fellowships after a century of division. 2006 marks the 100th anniversary of a 1906 federal census that first reported the two Restoration Movement groups as separate bodies.

Today, the a cappella churches report about 1.3 million baptized members in the U.S., slightly more than the instrumental churches’ 1.2 million. Both groups believe that Jesus is Lord, baptize for remission of sins and offer the Lord’s Supper each Sunday. But instrumental music remains a deeply divisive topic, as some members of Churches of Christ consider it a salvation issue.

Thursday night’s session mixed instrumental and a cappella hymns as praise teams from the Richland Hills Church of Christ in North Richland Hills, Texas, and the Southside Christian Church in Orlando, Fla, performed together.

Keith Lancaster from the group Acappella led a non-instrumental rendition of “Awesome God,” followed by both praise teams singing a modern-day “Rock of Ages,” accompanied by a piano, drums, electric guitars, a trombone, a trumpet and tambourines.

In a message titled “Together in God’s Grace,” Walling said that he, too, once believed that a cappella singing was the only way to worship. But he said God helped him grow to understand that grace, not perfect doctrine, saves Christians. Members of both fellowships have suffered, he said, from “we’ve got it right” disease and “legalism deep in our veins.”

Walling recalled that his mother always taught him to be nice to strangers. “So, for years, that’s what I’ve done with folks in the independent Christian Churches,” he joked.

But he declared, “The time for being nice is over. It’s time to be family. … Nice is easy. Family is a mess. Family is loving and sacrificing. Family is trying to compromise without being compromised.”

Walling presented his worn personal Bible – which his 89-year-old mother, Mildred, gave him in memory of his deceased “earthly father,” T.J. Walling – to Dave Stone, minister of the Southeast Christian Church in Louisville and Wednesday night’s keynote speaker.

“I want to tell you tonight, you are my brother,” Walling, wiping tears from his eyes, said to Stone.

Stone handed Walling his own Bible and told him, “The great thing about these Bibles is that they are exactly the same. They are the same translation. They are God’s word.”

Among a cappella church members who participated in the Bible exchange were ministers Marvin Phillips and Jerry Taylor as well as Abilene Christian University President Royce Money and Rochester College President Mike Westerfield.

Also exchanging Bibles were the praise teams from the Richland Hills Church of Christ and the Southside Christian Church.

Dave Faust, president of the North American Christian Convention, said he hopes the gesture will be repeated by members of both fellowships across the nation.

“This is a gesture of friendship and kinship, a way of saying, ‘I’m trying the best I can to teach God’s word with all my heart and I know that’s what you’re trying to do, too,’” Faust told The Christian Chronicle. “I just think it’ll be something that could be replicated in local communities one on one – no coercion, nobody merging things or trying to force anything on anyone.”

COMING IN THE AUGUST PRINT ISSUE OF THE CHRISTIAN CHRONICLE: Complete coverage of the North American Christian Convention and a Dialogue interview with Alan Highers on the instrumental music issue.

</font>
    </td></tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>John Waddey says: “It says in words that cannot be gainsaid what we have been speaking of for the last 5 years [ed: on the change movement]. Read it and weep.

“Now you know what Jeff Walling really believes. Now you know where Royce Money of Abilene Christian University is trying to lead us. Now you know the inclination of the staff of the Christian Chronicle which is owned and operated by Oklahoma Christian University. Is this what you wish for the church of Christ, of which you are a member? Will you sit silent while this apostasy sweeps over our brotherhood or will you stand up for Jesus and his church?”</font>
There is an article along the same lines as the Christian Chronicle article in the Louisville Courier Journal.

"Reconciling Christians mix their music"

To view this article on The Courier-Journal Web site, go to:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 6606300388

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

July 4th, 2006, 4:13 am #13

Hello Donnie. I agree with your point - it is funny looking back 30 years later how important everyone thought those debates were. In hindsight, they don't matter at all.

As far as the question, the church we attend is the Cross Timbers Commmunity Church. Several families left a church of Christ in the area six years ago to form this church. It did not "take over" the existing church. As far as the church of Christ is concerned, I don't know where it stands as we have never attended there.

To answer your last comment ("We know about those Community Churches that use band-aids really well. What’s the matter?"), I don't know what you mean. We have a band (actually several), and I love it. I don't know what your "what's the matter" comment refers to, as there is nothing the matter. If you clarify, I will give you an answer.

Grace and peace to you, and may God bless His body of believers.

-Robert.
<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Robert,

I guess I could search online, is Cross Timbers in Texas or Tenn.?

Pardon me … it’s just a personal preference [and it is also scriptural] that I would not agree to expressing something as in “having left a church of Christ.” The NT clearly teaches that the church is the body of Christ. In essence, it would be similar to saying, “I left a body of Christ”—and what does that mean? [But I think I know what you’re saying. ]

By the use of “band-aids,” I was referring to a medical supply called “Band-Aids.” It has a medical purpose, and you know what it’s for, right? And no one would use Band-Aids or other corrective measures without a reason. Should I explain further?

OK. I mentioned “Band-Aids” in response to your statement: “The worship is wonderful (yes, we have a band)….” Do you really think God cares for a musical band [thus, “Band-Aids”] in worship as if it had an illness? Maybe, worship is ill to begin with? As Mark wonders, “dunno!” And since you have “actually several” bands, “Band-Aids” in that sense then is used as a terminology appropriately.

Donnie</font>

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

July 4th, 2006, 3:29 pm #14

Mark F.,

I think that we will see a lot more of
the combined fellowships between Christian
churches and c of c. I can remember reading
Carl Ketcherside's books on how the two groups
have so many similarities. I, for one, believe
that the talks and discussions are healthy and
a lot of good will come from them.

I also wouldn't mind seeing bridges built with
all the other evangelical groups and the c of c.

Wordkeeper
Before accepting Ketcherside, you should understand that SIMILAR is not necessarily RIGHT.

He rejected institutional religion: was originally a Sommerite.

He rejected a LOCATED PREACHER along with the Bible and most history.

He repudiated instrumental music and saw it as divisive.

Many other things would not be seen good if INSTITUTIONAL A merged with INSTITUTIONAL B when neither are "schols of the Bible.

Ken

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

July 4th, 2006, 3:57 pm #15

There is an article along the same lines as the Christian Chronicle article in the Louisville Courier Journal.

"Reconciling Christians mix their music"

To view this article on The Courier-Journal Web site, go to:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 6606300388
The problem with the gatherings is that ALL of those represented "churches of Christ" either use or APPROVE of the use of instrumental music. The "Musical Worship Team" is a legalistic end run by using an ORGANI "pipe organ" using the syle of ORGANUM developed after about 1200.

Other than being SELL OUTS and many wanting to sell books and CDs, they also must deliberately misstate the Biblical and Historical facts or are too ignorant to be taken seriously. For instance, one of the big lies is that:
  • <font color=red>In the 1906 split, some Churches of Christ, mainly in the South, concluded that they shouldn't use musical instruments because the New Testament never calls for them.</font>
First, it is a historical fact that NONE of the groups which streamed into the church of Christ had ever used instruments. Not even the Catholics or Anglicans "worshipped with congregational singing and instrumental accompaniment." The organs were used before or after mass and later used for preludes, interludes and recessionals. The congregation DID NOT sing except offering amens.

Second, one of the major splits occured in Sand Creek, Ill which at last count was not in the South. People who wanted to INTRODUCE instruments left the building and sued to get control: they lost their effort to STEAL the property from people always known as THE CHURCH OF CHRIST in all ages and NEVER approved of instruments.

Third, NOT using instruments was not a late conclusion any more than NOT adding dirty dancing was a late development. They grasped that the Bible universally denounced isntruments which were used to silence the Word of God. ALL of church theologians made them literate about the negative impact created by any mind altering ritual. Therefore, rejecting instruments based on SILENCE was not the case. In fact, instrumentalists USED the legalistic law of silence: "The Law DOES NOT SAY, 'DO NOT USE INSTRUMENTS,' so we conclude that there is NO LAW AGAINST IT.

The Stoneite churches later to become the Christian Church flowed out of Cane Ridge which was quite identical to witchcraft. The "reformers" or "restorers" did not participate and never approved of the charismatic mental breakdowns. The Stoneites had little in common with the Reformers which grew up elsewhere.

Churches of Christ rejected being INCLUDED WITHOUT PERMISSION in the Disciples version of the census of 1906. By 1908 the Centennial edition of Campbell's Declaration and Address was published and the goals were stated. Churches of Christ did not "abandon" the historic church of Christ but made the choice NOT to be counted in what is shown here as a denominational structure.

The Christian Churches ALSO abandoned this denomination so why not PICK on them?

Robert
Robert

July 5th, 2006, 12:47 am #16

I guess I could search online, is Cross Timbers in Texas or Tenn.?

Pardon me … it’s just a personal preference [and it is also scriptural] that I would not agree to expressing something as in “having left a church of Christ.” The NT clearly teaches that the church is the body of Christ. In essence, it would be similar to saying, “I left a body of Christ”—and what does that mean? [But I think I know what you’re saying. ]

By the use of “band-aids,” I was referring to a medical supply called “Band-Aids.” It has a medical purpose, and you know what it’s for, right? And no one would use Band-Aids or other corrective measures without a reason. Should I explain further?

OK. I mentioned “Band-Aids” in response to your statement: “The worship is wonderful (yes, we have a band)….” Do you really think God cares for a musical band [thus, “Band-Aids”] in worship as if it had an illness? Maybe, worship is ill to begin with? As Mark wonders, “dunno!” And since you have “actually several” bands, “Band-Aids” in that sense then is used as a terminology appropriately.

Donnie</font>
Hello Donnie. Thanks for the clarification and reply. Also, you are correct, my wording was bad. The folks did not "leave the church" (as in the body of Christ). I believe that both churches (the church of Christ and the Community Church) are both part of the body of Christ. By the way, the Cross Timbers we attend is in Argyle, Texas.

As far as the "band-aid" goes, I still don't agree. I suspect that we will never agree, but that is okay. In my mind, the use of a praise band is no different than other "aids" that make the church different than what you would have seen in the first century, such as:

- the preacher using a microphone
- a tray for communion cups
- many little cups versus one big one
- church buildings
- song books
- websites and e-mail
- and many, many more.

I think the fundamental point of disagreement is not in the use of "aids" generally, but in the use of instrumental music (or a praise band) specifically. I don't believe that the Bible commands the use of non-instrumental music.

Like I said, I don't think we will agree, but I appreciate the open dialogue. I wish you and your church all the best, and may God be glorified in all things, and may His numbers be added to daily!

God Bless.

-Robert.

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

July 5th, 2006, 3:04 am #17

Based on what the scriptures teach, I will have to disagree with your premise concerning what comprises the body of Christ. If someone—who knows nothing about the church spoken of in the New Testament—were to hear the expression “Community Church,” he would more likely be confused. “Oh, who is the founder of that church? Or, is that where all the religions of the world in a particular community, including Muslims, Buddhists, Jewish, Mormons, Adventists, Christian Scientists, Catholics, Atheists, and many others—merge as one big family of ‘Christians’? Is that the religion based on Rick Warren’s ‘church growth’ scam where it acquires its members from various denominations in the area?”

Know what? There’s only one body of Christ, and that body bears His name. The church is the kingdom prophesied in the Old Testament and in Matt. 16:18 and fulfilled in Acts 1,2ff. It is the same kingdom or body of Christ mentioned in Acts 8:12—“But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Yes, the name of Christ is important. Dropping the name “of Christ” and substituting something else for it but still claims it to be His … is enough proof that someone is ashamed of Christ. Baptism is in the name of the Lord Jesus (Acts 8:16; 2:38)—not in the name of Rick Warren or the name of the community. There’s much more to say about this. But one thing for sure is that we are to teach in the name of Jesus—and not resort to using gimmicks such as the emphasis on “community-ism” just to appeal to the masses.

Robert, I see … you just couldn’t resist it, could you? More added to your list of silly non-essentials. I think the list is really getting old. The one-cup argument or another has not led to another church being called “Church of the One-Cup Christ” … or “Church of Little Cups in Christ” … or “Church of Songbooks for Christ.”

The command to commemorate the Lord’s suffering and death must be obeyed. The command to do so with one big cup or multi-colored little cups is not there—so the inference is that it is not being disobedient that a congregation uses a 2056-ounce cup. It is not disobedience by using multiple cups for expediency or health-and-sanitation reasons.

It is also worthy of note that the New Testament is VERY SPECIFIC about what we do with the songs: “Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord” (Eph. 5:19). The “law of silence” is being misapplied in your type of argument. Silence never equates to approval—specificity does, as the preceding passage indicates.

I have a challenge for you, Robert. I know I could give you a long list of items that congregants in your assembly would not do simply because the Holy Scripture is silent about them. But instead of me doing so, I would ask you to make that list—in this way, it will be beneficial to your understanding of why the law of silence [or the absence of a “thou shalt not”] does not constitute permission.

By the way, Robert, do you use trumpets in your “musical worship”? Do you realize that trumpets have other uses as well?
  • Numbers 10:10—“Also in the day of your gladness, and in your solemn days, and in the beginnings of your months, ye shall blow with the trumpets over your burnt offerings, and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; that they may be to you for a memorial before your God: I am the LORD your God.”
Do your musical bands oblige to these specifications from the Old Testament?

Donnie</font>

July 5th, 2006, 2:33 pm #18

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Hello, Harry Smith,

You may have missed what I mentioned to Robert that his list of non-essentials that are peculiar to a certain congregation [but not to the entire body of Christ] … or discussions between two argumentative individuals or groups … is silly … big time (and I’m referring to the list that explains man’s evil tendencies—not Christ’s church).

Your example of a rural congregation in Kentucky involved in such a silly argument is silly, too. By that example, you are making the implication or giving the impression that there’s something wrong with the church that Christ established—when there is not. That individuals arguing about non-essential matters and that church leaders making wrong or bad decisions are man’s issues that do not make the Lord’s church that you and others continue to bash and bring down and criticize not any less worth of being Christ’s bride purchased with His own blood.

Please stay within the subject of the thread. Mark did pose a good question. If there’s anything that you have personal knowledge of or researched in this regard—differences in the teachings and practices between the Christian Church and churches of Christ—please feel free to contribute ideas.

Bashing the church you left for whatever reason is not conducive to learning the truth about the church that Christ founded. It also implies that we have yet to hear from you anything negative about your new church affiliation—is it faultless? Isn’t it comprised of some people who argue and discuss as well?

Donnie</font>
O.K., once again, barring Ken and his vitriolic overgeneralized anwsers that always end in music is evil, I can't get a real answer about the differences between the mainstream churches of Christ and the mainstream Christian Church (not the Disciples of Christ).

Here's what I do understand

church of Chirst Christian Church

Jesus is son of God Jesus is son of God
Lived in the flesh Lived in the flesh
Was without sin Was without sin
Died for our sins Died for our sins
Was raised from the dead Was raised from the dead
Ascended to heaven Ascended to heaven
Sin separates us from God Sin seperates us from God
We're baptized for the remision of sins We're baptized for the remision of sins

Based on this, in the matter of the Gospel, both are preaching the Good News. In the matter of salvation, both are leading people to Christ.

So, our differences must about things beyond salvation. Thanks for any insight.

In Christ,

Mark

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

July 6th, 2006, 3:07 am #19

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Mark,

Sorry … I haven’t ignored your question.

I think, right off, I’m coming up with the same list as yours—the reason why I haven’t responded to you yet. In reality—with the exception (hopefully regarding the purpose) of baptism, the items you listed are commonalities among most of the Protestant religions. So, it would seem pointless for me to even mention them relative to your inquiry about the “specific” differences in doctrinal matters between the Christian Church and the church of Christ.

I can think of a few specific differences right now, but I prefer to do some more research. [Lack of time has been my main constraint. } ] So, please bear with me.

Thanks for asking a great question! Also, thanks for reminding me.

Donnie</font>

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

July 6th, 2006, 4:25 am #20

O.K., once again, barring Ken and his vitriolic overgeneralized anwsers that always end in music is evil, I can't get a real answer about the differences between the mainstream churches of Christ and the mainstream Christian Church (not the Disciples of Christ).

Here's what I do understand

church of Chirst Christian Church

Based on this, in the matter of the Gospel, both are preaching the Good News. In the matter of salvation, both are leading people to Christ.

In Christ,

Mark

• Jesus CHRIST is God in the flesh: full Deity dwelled in Jesus. There was no TWO OTHERS in heaven when the Stoneites came into existence.
    No one in history had at that time pictured God as three PERSONS.

The view of the Atonement and the Incarnation were major differences: if the Christian church has rectified some of those views good for them.
  • When the Stoneites came out of Cane Ridge they did not beleive that. They continued in the same group until some in the 20s and some in the 60s.

'Some of the dupes who feel obligated to AFFIRM the use of instrumental music and get paid by those who do not believe that baptism is FOR the remission of sins.
  • That is the CORE GOSPEL or what Paul called the PROTOS gospel. However, some of the BEST good news was articulated by Jesus without speaking of the CORE. He said, "come to me all ye that labor and are heavy laden." The word laded burden is exactly what is piled on to create "spiritual anxiety through religious rituals."

The REST, like it or not, is the Greek PAUO which is pointed to STOPPING the singing, playing, and ALL of the RELIGIONISM rituals NOT part of the EKKLESIA, synagogue or school of the bible. "Music" was excluded for the "church in the wilderness" and no one was dumb enough to add that to the Jewish Synagogue until the year 1815 by the same German-trained liberalism.

The views of Thomas and Alexander Campbell was diametrically opposed to the Stoneite Christian churches which were charismatic musically and adopted the SHOUTING METHODISTS as an act of worship. Baptists placed the blame on the "christian churches" for not participating in the Restoration Movement: many were repelled.

None of the churches of Christ ever fell into the charismatic madness.
  • Any knowledge of how SATAN brought musical worship into the garden of Eden and how music is universally identified with the HYPOCRITES even by Jesus Who quoted Isaiah about mouth religion and the identical concept in Ezekiel 33 which identifies slick singers and instrumentalists. The words point to the ORGAN and HANDLED which had Jubal HANDLING musical istruments WITHOUT AUTHORITY.

People are baptized into Christ to become DISCIPLES. A Disciple is a Christian is a student and that excludes the charismatic, mind altering music.

If king Solomon's MUSIC GROVE came to represent TOPHETH or hell itself; if the king/queen of Babylon went into Sheol with his/her harps and still-breathing harpists to be consumed on a bed of Maggots. If Jesus CAST OUT the musical minstrels as Lucifer was CAST AS PROFANE and as DUNG is ejected. If John says that the Babylon Whore's singers, instrumentalists and all of the HYPOCRITE (performers) will be removed and identifies their work as SORCERY by which they deceived the world. If all of church history repudiated music as polluting the SCHOOL OF THE BIBLE, then SOME OF US consider it a SALVATION ISSUE.

Going with the flow to RELIEVE the REPROACHES would have everyone musicating IF the didn't believe it was a SALVATION issue. You never test TRUTH by asking the sillyism: "Is that a salvation issue?" Wow!
Paul never said that he had determined to PREACH ONLY CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED. Didn't know that because that is what ALL of the "Just Jesus and Him crucified" preach. What Paul said was that he determined to KNOW only Christ and Him crucified. Paul MARKED the faithful "church worker" in 2 Corinthians as being a SUFFERING SERVANT. Watching people sing and play music and sing secular songs is not something a Bible Believer, Christ Owner can participate in.

So, why are you so hep on UNITING groups when NO preacher can take care of his OWN church and still have time to travel over the world trying to get MASSES of people united. If you accept your CORE GOSPEL then I am sure that you will not be hindered if people who do NOT believe that be given the FREEDOM to preach and practice their own SCHOOL OF THE BIBLE.

If life was so simple there would only be FORDS on the Road.

I am sure that you do not grasp the depravity of people who would sow massive discord by adding PERFORMANCE MUSIC to people who grasped Thomas Campbell's Biblical grasp of church as A SCHOOL OF CHRIST. You might as well spit in people's face: in Job, one word tabret means to play the tambourine or SPIT IN THE FACE.

People are not obligated to sing WITHOUT INSTRUMENTS so who is IMPOSING legalism?

IF ALL of the Bible and church history is WRONG and music is NOT a salvation then you would be home free--except that SOWING DISCORD and offedning people will get you burned.