Tom Brite
Tom Brite

March 3rd, 2010, 12:57 pm #11

I guess I should rethink my position. If Bill agrees with me, then I must be wrong.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

March 3rd, 2010, 5:03 pm #12

For the sake of illustration, suppose Person A has a flaming prejudice against Person B and makes every effort to disagree with everything that Person B says, no matter what. Then a situation arises when Person A states a particular belief or position with which Person B agrees. Person A immediately changes his belief/position, because he must remain at odds with Person B. That's nonsense.

Here's an example of such nonsense: Person A says, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the way to salvation" and Person B says, "I also agree." Because Person A must remain at odds with Person B, Person A immediately changes his belief and claims that Buddha is the way to salvation. That's nonsense.

Because Bill agrees with Tom about "insanely," Tom now considers that his original position may be wrong. That's also nonsense.

Tom Brite
Tom Brite

March 4th, 2010, 7:29 pm #13

Bill, I believe that a better illustration would be this:

Suppose that Person A has shown himself to be a bitter, arrogant, hate-filled individual who misinterprets scripture on a regular basis. Person B has observed the syle and errors of Person A on numerous occasions. Person B then makes a statement with regard to a question which has been presented on a message board. Person A then agrees with Person B's statement. Person B notices the response of Person A. Person B, knowing the prior behavior and beliefs of Person A, rightly concludes that perhaps he (Person B) might want to rethink his response since he finds it troubling that Person A agrees with his statement.

That, in fact, would be a more accurate description of the situation.

Come on Bill, you take yourself MUCH too seriously. Just can't stand a little kidding, can you?

Jimmy Wren
Jimmy Wren

March 4th, 2010, 11:16 pm #14

For the sake of illustration, suppose Person A has a flaming prejudice against Person B and makes every effort to disagree with everything that Person B says, no matter what. Then a situation arises when Person A states a particular belief or position with which Person B agrees. Person A immediately changes his belief/position, because he must remain at odds with Person B. That's nonsense.

Here's an example of such nonsense: Person A says, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the way to salvation" and Person B says, "I also agree." Because Person A must remain at odds with Person B, Person A immediately changes his belief and claims that Buddha is the way to salvation. That's nonsense.

Because Bill agrees with Tom about "insanely," Tom now considers that his original position may be wrong. That's also nonsense.
Tom thanks. I used the word 'insanely' in my original post. I did not mean to use the word 'insanity.'

Ken had an excellent post as we do not find the word 'insanely' in any Bible transaltion.

In Christ,
Jimmy

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

March 5th, 2010, 3:36 pm #15

Bill, I believe that a better illustration would be this:

Suppose that Person A has shown himself to be a bitter, arrogant, hate-filled individual who misinterprets scripture on a regular basis. Person B has observed the syle and errors of Person A on numerous occasions. Person B then makes a statement with regard to a question which has been presented on a message board. Person A then agrees with Person B's statement. Person B notices the response of Person A. Person B, knowing the prior behavior and beliefs of Person A, rightly concludes that perhaps he (Person B) might want to rethink his response since he finds it troubling that Person A agrees with his statement.

That, in fact, would be a more accurate description of the situation.

Come on Bill, you take yourself MUCH too seriously. Just can't stand a little kidding, can you?
Well, I guess in the opinions of some, those who support biblical Truth are "bitter, arrogant, [and] hate-filled." No doubt the Pharisees had similar, foul opinions about Jesus for teaching the Gospel. They probably thought Jesus took Himself too seriously.

Biblical Truth is irksome to some folks, especially if it clashes with their beliefs that embrace denominationalism, so they resort to smear tactics against strong Bible believers. Then when rebuked, they whitewash their mean-spirited trails with sentiments of false contrition and say something like, "Aww, you take yourself much too seriously. Can't you take a little kidding?"

Remember the movie titled The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks? One character (not Hanks) was a sadistic, vicious little prison guard named Percy, who enjoyed tormenting the inmates who had been condemned to die in the electric chair. Often when Percy's acts had been especially mean, the other guards would rebuke him. Percy would only laugh and say that he had only been having a little fun and that it was just a joke. But then he would continue on as before. Percy whitewashed his mean-spirited trail with false contrition.

Something to think about.

Your Ole Pal
Your Ole Pal

March 9th, 2010, 5:22 pm #16

Tom thanks. I used the word 'insanely' in my original post. I did not mean to use the word 'insanity.'

Ken had an excellent post as we do not find the word 'insanely' in any Bible transaltion.

In Christ,
Jimmy
William Crump, I saw where you used your famous 'parables' to suggest that someone would change their mind from believing in Christ to believing in Buddha just because they didn't care to agree with another person. You then compared that to Tom changing his mind because you believed in the same sort of belief as he would.
Again, and even more and better, this shows that you have no credibility here, at Faithsite or anywhere else.
The one thing that you haven't figured out yet, and a lot of people have not....it's not about what you know, it's about how you use that knowledge. Until you know REAL love William, you are lost....it doesn't matter how many times you are plunged beneath those cleansing waters.

1 Corinthians 13
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Gary
Gary

May 28th, 2010, 10:32 pm #17

You guys are unbelievable. To make such an issue about what Phil Barnes said. You really need to focus on serving God and stop all this. Silly!! Thats all I have to say!!

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

May 29th, 2010, 4:41 am #18

Is Gary telling us that he won't be posting here anymore, since the topic is "silly"?

Rocnar
Rocnar

May 29th, 2010, 3:09 pm #19

Madison CoC must be in great shape if this is all y'all can find to complain about. How about posting something positive about Madison?

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

May 29th, 2010, 6:28 pm #20

If rancor wants to read only positive things about Madison, why doesn't he post something positive, unless he's never been there?

Here's a hypothetical scenario about positive-only thinking: The bubonic plague is killing thousands of people in the Middle Ages, and someone cries, "All this death and dying is lowering our self-esteem. How about finding something positive about the plague?"