Its story: while our heritage is in God and His Son, our history is one of a community congregation that welcomes all comers and seeks opportunities to serve and comfort in His name. [emph. d.c.]
Its mission: The Otter Creek Church is a Christ-led, Spirit-powered, Grace-motivated family of believers. Our mission is to:
- reach up through worship and holy living
- reach in by fostering community and maturity
- reach out through service, witness and influence
Its faith: In a religious world where there is so much variety and divergence, its important for a community of faith to be open about what they believe. It is in the spirit of that openness that Otter Creek points to the following matters as important & central to its faith. These matters are the core of us, and though our convictions extend beyond what we mention here, these beliefs are what we consider to be necessary for fellowship in Jesus.
You wont find anything strange or out of line with the beliefs of most Christians. We provide this statement of faith, not to explain how we are distinct from everybody around us, but to testify that we have a great deal in common with all those who claim Jesus as Lord and who take the Bible seriously.
Some of the itemized statements no longer consider baptism as a necessary or the ultimate step in the conversion processor at least are inconsistent or contradictory. Notice:
- Salvation is by Gods grace, through Christs cross, and a result of the Spirits active work. It is received through faith. It is sealed in confession and baptism. It is demonstrated in a life lived under the lordship of Jesus.
- There is one Church. She is the community of people who have trusted in Jesus to make them right with God and to send the Holy Spirit to make them more like God. The church is a commissioned people, partnering with God to accomplish His purposes in this world.
- God has given His church special ways in which we can draw close to Him personally and enjoy His blessings. These include baptism [sounds like an after-the-fact in the church], prayer, worship, preaching, the Supper, Bible study, spiritual gifts, fasting, and relationship with each other and Himself.
Whereas Tim Woodroof, functions as our Senior Minister, coordinating the ministry team, working directly with the elders, and being a spokesman for the church.
Its other activities: In the TGIW (Thank God its Wednesday) section, we read:
- Thats right; Wednesday nights do count at Otter Creek! Were not saying you have to attend church on Wednesday in order to please God or get your ticket punched. What we are saying is during the summer months of June, July and August, a gifted mix of speakers, authors, musicians, and actors will join us on Wednesday evenings @ 7pm to inspire and challenge. You may just find yourself saying, Thank God its Wednesday!
- JUNE 7 -- Beyond the DaVinci Code: The Real Story of Jesus & Women
Dr. Amy Jill Levine
- JUNE 14 -- How the Trinity Keeps the Christian Life on Track
[Wasnt the direct influence of Gods Spirit upon the Christian or the church taught? Hmmm! dc]Dr. Leonard Allen
- JUNE 28 -- FX! A Family Worship Experience [What worship experience?]
- AUGUST 9 -- Vespers with a message from Kathleen Flood on