New Poll @this website - do you believe in instrumental music or do you believe in LOVE?

New Poll @this website - do you believe in instrumental music or do you believe in LOVE?

October 29th, 2010, 3:00 pm #1

Scriptural Verification:

Paul comes out swinging in verse 1

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. " - 1 Corinthians 13: NASV.

Poll:
a.) I believe in instrumental music
b.) I choose LOVE

Thanks for your participation and lots of love all!

N.J. Gold
Isaiah 1:17
learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.

Song of Solomon -http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=KJV

Donnie
Donnie

October 29th, 2010, 4:22 pm #2

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]I gather:

-- That choice a.) is about using instrumental music in the assembly
-- That choice b.) is about loving God and neighbor.
-- That this poll is about choosing one or the other, although unrelated
-- That qualifying the answer(s) may be necessary and is allowed.

I would recommend identifying one's church affiliation or preference.[/color]

Scotty
Scotty

October 29th, 2010, 9:51 pm #3

Scriptural Verification:

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. " - 1 Corinthians 13: NASV.

Poll:
b.) I choose LOVE

N.J. Gold
learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.

Jesus said the world would recognize his followers by their love. He did not qualify this recognition by requiring abstinence from instrumental music.

I choose to follow Jesus and choose love.

October 29th, 2010, 10:34 pm #4

I would LOUVEEE-UH to see what happened when you meet Jesus trudging down the dirty road--maybe now in your church neighborhood.

You jump in front of him and whine out a new style praise song with or without instruments.
I can tell you: He would HURT you in all of the right places.

The musical minstrels tried to ASSIST Him in His work and He "cast them out more or less violently" as one ejects dung.

The Dionysus or old wineskinners approached Jesus and He said that the MEN were like CHILDREN in the marketplace. They piped trying to force people to sing or lament or dance.
That old Dionysus initiation--right in the holy places--would hurt real bad when you bowed to Baal.

Did I tell you that the BEAST in Revelation (logically) is not an animal: the word means "a new style song or drama." Now THAT kind of "love" has always been the persona of religious musicians.

Love does not use the Making War or Making Love words like Psallo or Psalmos on people. Music HURTS before the drug high makes you feel spiritual. Now, I would purely resist a singy-clappy praise minister trying to jerk me into motion. As Carol Wimber of the Vineyard says and Plato and everyone says, that is the desired sexual climactic experience with the spirit person.

Here is one of my latest reviews of a preacher spewing the usual ACU type hype in promoting instruments especially effective in out of the way places.

http://www.piney.com/Clyde.Symonette.Ps ... hamas.html

October 30th, 2010, 1:46 am #5

Jesus said the world would recognize his followers by their love. He did not qualify this recognition by requiring abstinence from instrumental music.

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]I haven't made my choice(s) yet. At this point, I am only responding to Scotty's post.

Scotty brings up a good point when he said that Jesus "did not qualify...." Jesus did NOT and could NOT qualify that which God has not commanded. How could he? Something would normally be qualified if something nebulous needs further explanation or clarification. It's man who has concocted the notion that God approves or authorizes the operation of mechanical music devices in worshiping our Father in heaven. It makes one wonder what God thinks of man's brilliance in suggesting that we worship Him:
[/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times](1) in spirit
------ and ------
(2) in truth
------ PLUS ------
(3) in manual operation of mechanical music devices.
[/color]

October 30th, 2010, 3:03 am #6

Scriptural Verification:

Poll:
b.) I choose LOVE

N.J. Gold
learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Since there are only two choices (and I don't see any connection), I would say that I believe in BOTH. But let me elaborate:

[/color][color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]1. I believe in instrumental music -- it is a reality:[/color]
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Did God make a mistake in the Old Testament era with the old covenant when His followers were to obey the 10 Commandments, to offer blood sacrifices and burnt offerings, to tithe, etc.? But then God did not command His followers to worship Him with man-made musical devices? (Sorry, no scriptural support is found.)[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]David, king of Israel and a very skilled MUSICIAN, [NOT God] invented the musical instruments (Psa. 106:29; Amos 6:5).[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]David [NOT God] ordained instruments of music (II Chron. 29:27).[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]It was David, who did not have a church or congregation, that decided for himself to "praise" God with his invented instruments of music.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon [like David, king of Israel], made a golden image and commanded his followers to worship the golden image with instruments of music: cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, dulcimer, and all kinds of music (Daniel 3).[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]In the New Testament era, there is no command or example that musical instruments were used by the first century church or Christians. (Sorry, no scriptural support is found.)[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]It was the Roman Catholic Church that first introduced instrumental music in worship.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]The philosophy: "The Scripture does not say 'NOT TO'"-- giving permission to do that which Scripture does not forbid -- is a very dangerous position or assumption.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Can one even imagine what worship is like if Christians were to add many elements that Scripture does not forbid?[/color]
    </li>
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]2. I believe in LOVE. Unlike instrumental music that is NEVER commanded, love is a command:[/color]
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Love is not an emotional state that human beings normally think of.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Love in the New Testament is identified as sacrificial or "agape" love. It is a command for the Christian to keep God's commandments: "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15; 15:10; etc.).[/color]
    </li>
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]3. I am a member of the church that Christ established.[/color]

AM
AM

October 30th, 2010, 6:38 pm #7

I think this verse is a good example of love or instuments. Understanding the primitive nature of instruments in Paul's time, the verse can be explained that: one either has love for God and his people or, one is just a noisey musical instrument. How much more condemning of musical instruments can be stated by Paul, a follower of Christ. The Bible never states that one's love for God or man is expressed by a gong or a clanging cymbal(or a drum , a trumpet, a violin....).

My vote would be to follow the example of Jesus and not be apart of the instrumental music vote. I am sure in days to come we will understand why Jesus did not use musical instruments to worship God.

AM
AM

October 30th, 2010, 6:48 pm #8

Jesus came to us and for us, to show us how we should worship God. Can you honestly, in love, tell someone that is searching for God's love and mercy, that Jesus worshiped God with an instrument? I can think of nothing more hateful and deceitful than to lead a lost soul down a path of misconception. Jesus's worship was simple and personal, not part of a band. Do you think you may be missing the entire idea of spiritual worship when we allow external forms to be taught to the young and the lost?

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

October 30th, 2010, 7:57 pm #9

I think this verse is a good example of love or instuments. Understanding the primitive nature of instruments in Paul's time, the verse can be explained that: one either has love for God and his people or, one is just a noisey musical instrument. How much more condemning of musical instruments can be stated by Paul, a follower of Christ. The Bible never states that one's love for God or man is expressed by a gong or a clanging cymbal(or a drum , a trumpet, a violin....).

My vote would be to follow the example of Jesus and not be apart of the instrumental music vote. I am sure in days to come we will understand why Jesus did not use musical instruments to worship God.
I couldn't have said it better. Bravo! In today's postmodern church, the purpose of instruments is to accentuate adrenaline highs and promote emotional lability under the false notion that they are indicators of "faith."

Dave
Dave

October 31st, 2010, 1:45 am #10

One good point that AM made is that with Jesus you clearly understood/understand everything about Him.
If there was something that He didn't like you knew/know it. Did He ever make instrumental music an issue? No, and you had better not either.
As long as we worship in Truth and Spirit our worship is accepted by God. Praise teams.....a capella.....instruments of music......clapping.......is of no issue......it is HOW we worship our God in our hearts.
Are you wiser than our King? Would you speak in place of Jesus, since He would not on such issues?
Surely not!