Max Lucado—“stepping aside as senior minister” (Houston Chronicle)

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

March 20th, 2007, 1:05 pm #1

SOURCE: HOUSTON CHRONICLE __________________________________

• <font size=4 face=verdana> AP Texas News</font>

<font color=red size=2 face=verdana>March 13, 2007, 6:24PM</font>
    <font size=4 face=verdana>Lucado stepping aside as senior minister </font>

<font size=2 face=times new roman>© 2007 The Associated Press</font>

<font face=verdana>SAN ANTONIO — Citing health reasons, prolific Christian author Max Lucado is stepping aside as senior pastor of his San Antonio megachurch but plans to continue writing at least one new book each year.

"I will probably write more," Lucado, 52, told The Associated Press on Tuesday in a phone interview, explaining that he would have more free time.

Lucado, whose books have sold more than 40 million copies, is suffering from a type of heart arrhythmia but is confident the condition can be treated. He announced to the Oak Hills Church congregation on Sunday that he was leaving the senior minister post and would assist in finding a successor.

"I'm not really leaving the church or leaving the staff, I'm just moving into a different area here at the church. This is actually something I have considered for quite some time," he said.

Lucado, who is physically active and participated in a half ironman triathlon last year, began feeling dizzy last summer, which led to the diagnosis.

"My heart just gets out of rhythm," he said. "On days it's misbehaving, I'm really not worth shooting."

He said he approached church elders two weeks ago about his condition, which leaves him extremely fatigued.

"I said I'm not able to do the job I want to do, and I'm not able to do what the church needs. I suggested if it would be agreeable to them, I would stay on the staff as a writer and occasional preacher, and they said fine," he said. "It was a very emotional meeting, a very sad meeting, but we all sensed it being God's plan."

The then-500-member Oak Hills Church of Christ hired the Abilene Christian University graduate as pulpit minister in 1988. In 2003, Oak Hills, which has grown to 5,000 members, dropped the "Church of Christ" from its name — an effort to reach people hesitant to attend a Church of Christ.

Reader's Digest has called Lucado "America's Best Preacher." His more than 50 books include "Just Like Jesus," "In the Grip of Grace" and "When God Whispers Your Name."

Lucado and his wife, Denalyn, have three daughters.

____

On the Net:</font>

<font color=blue>http://www.maxlucado.com

http://www.oakhillschurchsa.org/ </font>

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

March 21st, 2007, 4:17 am #2

SOURCE: http://www.oakhillschurchsa.org/about/

<font size=3 face=times new roman>March 5, 2007

Dear Oak Hills Family,

I pray this letter finds you in the midst of the greatest day and sweetest season of your life! Our God is indeed faithful.

I’d like to update you on some recent health developments and a resulting decision from the Oak Hills elders. While my spiritual heart is in a wonderful state, my physical heart has developed some irregularities. We have high hopes for complete healing; yet, I need to make some lifestyle adjustments. I have already begun reducing my leadership responsibilities. I still plan to bring the weekend messages, but will opt out of some of the weekly meetings.

My health concerns have also prompted a decision to inaugurate a succession plan. Though I have always known that, at some point my responsibilities would change, I had envisioned this happening years from now. However, these health concerns have moved up the timetable. I wholeheartedly (excuse the pun) feel it is time to identify and invite the next Senior Minister. Oak Hills needs a healthy, full-time servant in this position. Upon his selection, I will turn my attention to doing more what I love to do the most: writing and preaching.

I have no intention of leaving this great church, but simply altering my role in it. Yes, this is a major step, but one that will benefit the health of us all.

Would you pray for God’s guidance in this process? I know you will. Of course, we will keep you apprised of any developments. Thank you for being a lighthouse to San Antonio. May God bless you richly.

Your brother,

Max Lucado</font>

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

March 24th, 2007, 5:25 pm #3

<font face=verdana>SAN ANTONIO — Citing health reasons, prolific Christian author Max Lucado is stepping aside as senior pastor of his San Antonio megachurch but plans to continue writing at least one new book each year.

"I will probably write more," Lucado, 52, told The Associated Press on Tuesday in a phone interview, explaining that he would have more free time.

Lucado, whose books have sold more than 40 million copies, is suffering from a type of heart arrhythmia but is confident the condition can be treated. He announced to the Oak Hills Church congregation on Sunday that he was leaving the senior minister post and would assist in finding a successor.

"I'm not really leaving the church or leaving the staff, I'm just moving into a different area here at the church. This is actually something I have considered for quite some time," he said.

Lucado, who is physically active and participated in a half ironman triathlon last year, began feeling dizzy last summer, which led to the diagnosis.

"My heart just gets out of rhythm," he said. "On days it's misbehaving, I'm really not worth shooting."

He said he approached church elders two weeks ago about his condition, which leaves him extremely fatigued.

"I said I'm not able to do the job I want to do, and I'm not able to do what the church needs. I suggested if it would be agreeable to them, I would stay on the staff as a writer and occasional preacher, and they said fine," he said. "It was a very emotional meeting, a very sad meeting, but we all sensed it being God's plan."

The then-500-member Oak Hills Church of Christ hired the Abilene Christian University graduate as pulpit minister in 1988. In 2003, Oak Hills, which has grown to 5,000 members, dropped the "Church of Christ" from its name — an effort to reach people hesitant to attend a Church of Christ.

Reader's Digest has called Lucado "America's Best Preacher." His more than 50 books include "Just Like Jesus," "In the Grip of Grace" and "When God Whispers Your Name."

____

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Regarding Max’s resignation, one of many posts was titled, “Max Lucado Announces He’s Stepping Down as Senior Pastor.” I know that Mr. Lucado will not complain about it nor deny it. He likes special identities like that one. He likes being addressed as “Reverend Lucado” or “Pastor Lucado” in public and in speaking engagements.
  • http://feeds.feedburner.com/MondayMorningInsightWeblog

http://phoenixpreacher.com/?p=1550. “Max Lucado has decided to step down as senior pastor of Oak Hills Church in San Antonio. He plans to continue preaching and writing.”

http://www.the-garret.com/sports01-04.htm

DAVID ROBINSON
    • The San Antonio Spurs honored their former All-Star David Robinson by retiring his jersey during a special ceremony. Robinson has started a new ministry at Oak Hills Church with pastor Max Lucado. Robinson is also working at Carver Academy. He founded the private school in a disadvantaged San Antonio neighborhood with $10 million of his own money.
    NBA STAR TO BECOME PASTOR
    • Former San Antonio Spurs all-star David Robinson will reportedly become a minister at his longtime church in San Antonio. The NBA champion retired this past year after leading the Spurs to this year's NBA championship. Max Lucado, who pastors the Oak Hills Church says Robinson will become a "minister at large," and may teach a weekly Bible study.
I see how that certain Community Church-bound Baptist churches have also the same issue with renaming their churches. Keep in mind that at Max’s suggestion [or demand?], the elders consented and approved the new name by dropping the name “of Christ”—it is now “Oak Hills Church” [formerly “of Christ”].
  • http://www.tbaptist.com/aab/pbc305.htm.
    • BBFI Web of Compromise Continues

“… If he wanted to know the legal name, I would suppose that a non-member person would have to go to the court house to get the legal name Fair Oaks Baptist Church, while on the church sign and in their printed material it is Fair Oaks Church. You might expect such sly methods from politicians, crooked lawyers and shysters, but you would think that a church would be more open and honest. When you are on the down hill path of compromise, it is easy to find a reason to conceal the truth. Frankly, I would have a lot more respect for them if they would totally change the name to Fair Oaks Church for a legal description. Then they could stop trying to run under two flags.”
The “American Council of Churches” addresses Max Lucado at the “The Promise Keepers Pastors And Leadership Conference” as follows:
  • http://www.amcouncilcc.org/article_detail.asp?ArtKey=pk

The first keynote speaker was Dr. Max Lucado, pastor of the Oak Hills Church, San Antonio, Texas, and the author of 12 books that have a combined 28 million copies in print. His subject was, "Can You Imagine?" Using Isaiah 43:7 Lucado emphasized God's great glory and God's great preeminence. He said, "God is not your co-pilot. You do not give Him orders. So why not declare right now, ‘I hereby resign from me running the universe.' There is no hope when we say it is about me and we must understand it does not matter about your denomination--it is all about God!"
These are just a few of innumerable references to Max’s real identity. </font>

Max Moon
Max Moon

March 25th, 2007, 1:15 pm #4

The term "pastor" is biblical. However, as Max is not an elder, he is not a "pastor."

Those that preach and teach should be elders.

December 12th, 2007, 5:57 am #5

____

<font color=indigo size=3 face=times new roman>Either the news channel was misinformed or the “The Reverend” was very pleased and did not bother to make the correction. Check this out:
  • Source: "America's Pastor" Max Lucado Stepping Down

<font color=black>Last Update: 3/13[/2007] 10:15 am

A man who helped build the largest congregation in South Texas announced he is stepping down as senior pastor of Oak Hills Church, News 4 WOAI learned Monday. The Rev. Max Lucado told News 4 WOAI his decision is based on health concerns and nothing more.
    Lucado says he is suffering from a type of heart arythmia, although he says he is confident that issue can be treated. Lucado said his health will not keep him away from the church.
    "My health concerns are not so severe that I feel I’m in any danger, just severe enough that I think a change needs to be made," said Lucado, a nationally-known author. "I'm going to become a teaching minister of our church, and I'll stay here at the church and do teaching and study."
    Oak Hills Church has about 5,000 people and three different campuses. Lucado hopes to find a replacement that can be devoted to the church completely.
    "It will be somebody who feels at peace or at ease leading a large organization who works well with our elders," Lucado said.
    . . .

Lucado told News 4 WOAI he will stay as senior minister until they find a replacement.

. . .

Oak Hills Church, which dropped it's affiliation with the Church Of Christ and now refers to itself as a Christian 'denomination,' was cited in the recent book "Applebee's America" as being a leader in the new 'community religion,' creating communities for parishioners and stressing Christian lifestyles over strict doctrine.</font>
Really, that’s no longer surprising—about being addressed “The Reverend Max Lucado.” Neither is “Pastor Lucado” in the sense of a one-man pastorate of the Baptist Church.

Has the Oak Hills Church finally offered a ministerial position to someone of a kindred mind as Pastor Max? </font>

March 7th, 2014, 7:51 am #6

... bumped