- Maxey Misses Mightily: <font color=red>Jesus participated in the synagogue system, by way of yet another example, "as was His custom" [Luke 4:16].
Yet, the OT Scriptures are completely silent with regard to a synagogue system.
If biblical silence equates to prohibition, then do we have Jesus engaging in a system that is "unauthorized"?
The legalistic patternists contend that to do such is SIN. Did Jesus sin? Had Jesus become bound to human innovation in direct opposition to the "law of silence"? </font>
If Scripture is silent about using toilet tissue in the "house" we use for "worship" then we can USE toilet tissue without violating any laws of decency or ALTERING what we do when we SPEAK the Word one to another to TEACH and ADMONISH one another. If we add a MUSIC TEAM and INSTRUMENTS to accompany the READING and SPEAKING "that which is written" God knows that we are telling Him to: SHUT YOUR FACE. That is the message of all music passages in the Bible.
Mighty Maxey Mouths Madness! Hath he not read the OLDEN testament as he didn't grasp that the PASSOVER was enmeshed in the Feast of Unleavened Bread. You eat the PASSOVER of that which is KILLED and you eat and drink but using UNLEAVENED bread as symbolic. Othewise, you would probably be eating the same bread and UNleavened bread all along. The drink offering if fermented would be POURED OUT: when you offer it to God you don't eat and drink it as God noticed. Paul communed with the saints and paused to eat a snack. When you BUZZ outside the arena of minimal common sense you are more APT to chase a coon than APT to teach the Word.
Al thinks that God is a moron for giving a LAW which would prevent people from dying WITHOUT making some provision for assemblying and teaching. Moses gathered the elders and RECITED the song so they could return and assemble people to teach them. Stephen identified the CHURCH IN THE WILDERNESS using the word meaning SYNAGOGUE.
- <font color=blue>The Ekklêsia at Athens, the ordinary Assemblies were called kuriai, the extraordinary being sunklêtoi, ap. Dem.; ekkl. sunageirein, sunagein, sullegein, athroizein to call an assembly</font>
Paul said that the church in the wilderness was a SYNAGOGUE. Jesus didn't miss that! Here is what you CANNOT DO in the synagogue, never done in the synagogue even by Daffy Dan, what Paul outlawed as self-pleasing and what the church practiced:
- <font color=blue>And when they shall blow with them, all the assembly (SWARM) shall assemble (h3259) themselves to thee at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. Nu. 10:3 </font>
The word Yarad is just one of many words to define a SET-TIME-PLACE for assemble. Outlawing the ALARM or music, the word is different but recognized by scholars to be the SYNAGOGUE:
- <font color=blue>But when the congregation (Qahal) is to be gathered together, ye shall blow, but ye shall not sound an alarm. Nu 10:7 </font>
The word ALARM is:
- <font color=blue>Ruwa (h7321) roo-ah'; a prim. root; to mar (espec. by breaking); fig. to split the ears (with sound), i. e. shout (for alarm or joy): - blow an alarm, cry (alarm, aloud, out), destroy, make a joyful noise, smart, shout (for joy), sound an alarm, triumph. </font>
SO we are where Jesus was when He assembled with the assembly and DID NOT sing and play like a "crooked" or perverted skolion singers.
To assembly is:
- <font color=blue>Edah (h5712) ay-daw'; fem. of 5707 in the orig. sense of fixture; a stated assemblage (spec. a concourse, or gen. a family or crowd: - assembly, company, congregation, multitude, people, swarm.</font>
The assembly is also:
- <font color=blue>Mowed (h4150) which is translated SYNAGOGUE in Psalm 74.
They said in their hearts, Let us destroy them together: they have burned up all the synagogues of God in the land. Psalm 74:8KJV
And Moses commanded them, saying, At the end of every seven years, in the solemnity of the year of release, in the feast of tabernacles, Deut 31:10 </font>
Solemnity is Mowed (h4150) or synagogue: when you ASSEMBLE without REVERENCE and GODLY FEAR to read the Word <font color=red>God is STILL A CONSUMING FIRE.
- <font color=blue>When ALL Israel is come to appear before the Lord thy God in the place which he shall choose, thou shalt read this law before all Israel in their hearing. Deut 31:11 </font>
And throughout the land forever:
Al totally missed this command:
- <font color=blue>Gather the people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that is within THY gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear the Lord your God, and observe to do all the words of this law: Deut 31:12
GATHER IS: Qahal (h6950) kaw-hal'; a prim. root; to convoke: - assemble (selves) (together), gather (selves) together).</font>
- And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the Lord your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it. Deut 31:13
A holy Convocation is an assembly in community groups:
- <font color=blue>In the FIRST DAY ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. Lev 23:7
- But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord seven days: in the SEVENTH DAY is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. Lev 23:8
- <font color=blue>Miqra (h4744) mik-raw'; from 7121; something called out, i. e. a public meeting (the act, the persons, or the place); also a rehearsal: - assembly, calling, convocation, READING. </font>
MANY, many more:
- <font color=blue>And he hath violently taken away his tabernacle, as if it were of a garden; he hath destroyed his places of the assembly: (h4150) the Lord hath caused the solemn feasts and sabbaths to be forgotten in Zion, and hath despised in the indignation of his anger the king and the priest. Lam 2:6
For Moses of old time hath in every city them that PREACH him, being READ in the synagogues every sabbath day. Acts 15:21 </font>
Al and his readers will ignore this and play LET'S PRETEND that Jesus violated the LAW by READING THE BIBIE so that gives US the authority to violate ALL OF THE BIBLE and all known literature associating music with Satan or perverts when done in the place where JESUS still stands up to READ THE WORD when we obey the DIRECT COMMAND to speak that which is written.
So, Al and his misleads, the word is NOT SILENT and often speaks of the assembly of the PEOPLE who were qarantined from the pagan-like sacrificial system where the loud instruments were their warning to be OUTSIDE of the gates where we have to be if we want to assembly with Jesus. Shame, shame, shame for HALLUCINATING evidence and then beating honest people over the head as if he has a BYPASS directly to God which gives him authority to collect a wage for misleading. Observers not that when people go charismatic with music "the WRONG spirits often steal in." It was called MADNESS or PROPHESYING.
The MORAL is that even if you have lost your whole family, you must use CARE in obeying God's DIRECT COMMANDMENTS.
When you tell the truth about Nadab and Abihu about doing something NOT COMMANDED as good reason to honor the Word of God rather than try to do a LEGALISTIC END RUN to allow instrumental music, they always pop up with the old EXCEPTION which allows us to SIN and get covered up with Grace. For instance, Al Maxey has some kind of strong reason to get instrumental music AFFIRMED by those who have never used instruments for these 2,000 years. The story in The Book of Enoch and parallel accounts is that when discovered that they had been WHOLLY SEDUCED by Satan and the Genun or Lamech family taught to use MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS and mixed-sex choirs who ALWAYS Had seduction at its heart, is they the KNOW that they have fallen but spend ALL of their energies trying to get others to JOIN IN and give them cold comfort as God uses Lucifer's instruments to beat them into TOPHETH a figure of hell. Isaiah 30.
<font color=red> a.. It also quickly raises some very interesting questions with regard to the application of examples to one's theology. For instance, the consequences that befell Nadab and Abihu have become the proof text for legalistic patternists, as well as advocates of the so-called "law of silence," to demonstrate the severity of God against all who dare to "innovate" in a "worship assembly." But what about the testimony of God's gracious dealings with their two younger brothers?! What does this convey to us with regard to how our God deals with "unlawful innovation"? A minister in the beautiful state of Oregon recently sent me the following question: "I was wondering what you thought about the sin of Ithamar and Eleazar. </font>
As Al missed the fact that the CENI principle is well documented in the Bible and MOST historical scholars, he also misses the point that the NADAB AND ABIHU example was well known by many church fathers. I think that Paul spoke of it for thsoe who are NOT reverent (bowing like a dog) and NOT showing Godly fear that <font color=red>GOD IS A CONSUMING FIRE.
<font color=red>Does it serve as a counter argument to those who spout Nadab and Abihu as examples of why we are not allowed to do something in a 'worship service,' such as use instruments to accompany/aid singing?</font>
Since Moses blamed Ithamar and Eleazar for NOT knowing something they SHOULD Have known, and Aaron took the blame as a spiritual MEDIATOR ready to bear burdens, at most we can say that this was violating a LAW that they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN without malice aforethought as all who deliberately sow discord with instruments do.
It is apparently easy to MISS the fact that God took the initiative because the sin of Nadab and Abihu was so blatant. In the case of the complicated IF-THEN-ELSE treatment of the Sin offering in during overwhelming grief it was not deliberate sin and Moses was the one to be satisfied.
<font color=purple>Now the law of the sin-offerings was that
- IF the blood of them was brought into the holy place,
as that of the sin-offerings for the priest was,
THEN the flesh was to be burnt without the camp;
otherwise it was to be eaten by the priest in the holy place,
and they were to bear the iniquity of the congregation as a type of Jesus Christ.
However, the blood of this goat WAS NOT
brought into the holy place,
- And it was burnt WITHOUT the camp.
Because the sons of Aaron were left alive they should have been careful. Would Al have jotted and tittled?</font>
Moses was angry because he thought that the disobedience was dishonoring God.
He said that they should have eaten it in the holy place. Understanding the grief they were under caused Moses to let them explain. They may have misunderstood or UNTAUGHT by Aaron but Moses blamed Eleazar and Ithamar. Aaron took the blame: doesn't a FAITHFUL servant take the blame?
- <font color=blue>Leviticus 10:19 And Aaron said unto Moses, Behold, this day have they offered their sin offering and their burnt offering before the Lord; and such things have befallen me: and if I had eaten the sin offering to day, should it have been accepted in the sight of the Lord?
Leviticus 10:20 And when Moses heard that, he was content.</font>
We are commanded to SPEAK one to another using "that which is written." If you deliberately DISHONOR GOD and sing your own effeminate songs then God MAY have begun the drumming into hell while you still live as Isaiah 30 and the parable of the LOCUSTS-MUSICIANS indicate. If you are SAD as only Aaron could have been then James gives him the right to WEEP and MOURN. You might "hymn" out of your own heart when you are not doing the COMMANDED "teaching, admonishing, comforting, glorifying God and PREVENTING DISCORD."
The sin was Aaron's although someone SLIPPED UP by not "teaching that which has been taught" or by NOT taking the initiative and studying the Bible during PREACHER ACT OF WORSHIP which is specificially outlawed.
- <font color=red>Al, Thanks for your article on the "law of silence." Right up until the end of your letter to Phil Sanders, I had never understood the difference between the "law of silence" and the "law of specificity" (and I think I have read all of your previous Reflections articles on this particular issue).
However, as I now understand it, the "law of silence" would prohibit instrumental music while one is singing praises to God because the New Testament does not mention it.
The "LAW of specificity" would allow it, IF it would not interfere with or replace the singing and making melody within one's heart. Do I finally get it? If not, please let me know. Thanks. </font>
Al agrees. Firstly, the Word of God is NOT SILENT: Al missed that by the example above. From Genesis to Revelation INSTRUMENTS are connected to Satan, warriors, exorcists, prostitutes and Sodomites. The word HANDLE used of Jubal and the ORGAN means WITHOUT AUTHORITY.
The speakers, singers and musicians in Revelation 18 are called SORCERERS with the same meaning as SATAN the enchanter/enchantress as the "singing and harp playing prostitute." Paul was SPECIFIC in defining TEACHING as in what you do when you DISCIPLE in the "school of the Bible." He put BOTH the singing in an arousal or SELF-pleasing sense IN THE HEART or SPIRIT and that is the only place God LOOKS and LISTENS. External singing words and instruments were always identified with witchcraft or sorcery.
You cannot ADD instrumental noise where the word HARMONY is a bad word and is not MELODY: melody in our sense means a "series of single tones" and does NOT include TUNEFULNESS. SPEAK cannot be misunderstood if God has not made you delusionaly. ONE ANOTHER cannot be mistaken. "A series of single tones not musical until the 19th century" SPECIFICIALLY outlaws MUSIC even if EXTERNAL. Paul followed the LAW OF SPECIFICITY and put the MELODY in the PLACE of the heart. Otherwise, those who want to PLUCK as in an instrument has UNIVERSAL LITERATURE marking you as USING a personae you may not want the elders to know just yet.
Because the timeline is difficult to follow, scholars deny that burning incense was a command at this time. The scapegoat was ADDED as a result of what was satan worship AFTER the sin. This is recognized down through history. Again, Al is on the Dwaine Dunning TAKING AN AXE to the non-instrumentalists and IF he cannot find an approved example he knows that he had cursed good people too many times to recover. The sin of Nadab and Abihu was "from silence" and God knew they had not made an honest mistake.
Ithamar and Eleazar were the "actors" but the failure was Aarons made in the midst of grief. There was no intention or VESTED INTEREST in violating a law as ALL music has no other motive but to suck in the widow's mites. Aaron expressed sorrow and Moses Understood. Al is NOT sorry for misusing all of the "violations of the LAW" which give US permission to violate the LAW with impunity. The PARALLEL would be the deliberate musical discorders to repent in sackcloth and ashes and set up a REPAYMENT PLAN. ALL of the Bible and contemporaneous commentary such as The Book of Enoch warn about choirs and instruments because ONCE you have made the "sense stroking equals spiritual worship" connect you are HARD WIRED and you will not recover. Therefore as in Revelation 18 the singers and musicians as SORCERERS are the MARK that the CANDLES have been removed.