Estill B.
Estill B.

May 31st, 2005, 10:37 pm #11

Estill writes: “Let me rephrase: You're making it Keith's fault because some PEOPLE misunderstand the words to an Acappella song?”

Jimmy comments: No! If some people, on ONE occasion, misunderstood the words to ONE song we would not even be discussing it. Okay! Do you understand that my answer is no.

My original comments were: Understandest thou what thou singest?

In Colossians 3:16 we are told to “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”

Our singing is a means of teachings. Knowing the importance of the things that we are teaching, one should give the utmost attentions to getting it “understandable” and “correct.”

Such is not always the case with the disciples of Keith Lancaster. It seems that “entertainment” is the motivating factor behind his contemporary music.”

The following is taken from Keith’s web site at: http://www.acappella.org/lyrics.htm

<font size=3 color=blue>Often, people are singing along with the song and singing the wrong words. On a few occasions, we have been accused of cursing, supporting all manner of sinful activities, and supporting political platforms. All because someone misunderstood the words. </font>

Perhaps it might be better if that type of “MUSIC” was left to the world.

In Christian Love,

Jimmy
Jimmy,

Thanks for your "recant?"

My question to you was: "So, where does it say (as you have stated) “Keith is the one responsible, isn’t he? I mean the web site claims that he is"...?

E.B.

Jimmy Wren
Jimmy Wren

June 1st, 2005, 12:17 am #12

Estill write: "My question to you was: So, where does it say (as you have stated) “Keith is the one responsible, isn’t he? I mean the web site claims that he is"...?

Here it is: "Acappella Ministries began in the early 1980's as a dream of a young Keith Lancaster. He knew that God had blessed him with a dream to spread the Gospel to the world through unique, a cappella music. He had the music and the Gospel. The hard part was taking it to the world. All he had was a family, a station wagon, some singers, and a lot of prayers. God blessed his vision and efforts.

<font size=3 color=blue>It plainly states that this is Keith's dream...God blessed his vision and efforts. Keith is the one person responsible! Or, are you blaming Donnie for this also?</font>

Also I have recanted nothing. I only answered the question you ask. Nothing has changed from my original post!

In Christian Love,

Jimmy

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

June 1st, 2005, 8:59 am #13

I received the following email and I thought you might be interested;

"Thanks for your heads-up about worship leaders --article dated April 6, '03.( http://www.concernedmembers.com/editori ... .htm#part7 ) I wasn't aware of Amos 6.5. Your article also reminded me of the song (I think written by Barry Manilow) that goes "I am Music and I write the songs."
God bless, Sandra

I looked the words up, and this is what I found;

I Write The Songs

-Artist: Barry Manilow as sung on "Greatest Hits" -Arista A2L 8601
-peak Billboard position # 1 in 1976
-Words and Music by Bruce Johnston
(apparently Barry *doesn't* "write the songs"!)

I've been alive forever, and I wrote the very first song
I put the words and the melodies together
I am music and I write the songs

CHORUS
I write the songs that make the whole world sing
I write the songs of love and special things
I write the songs that make the young girls cry
I write the songs, I write the songs

My home lies deep within you
And I've got my own place in your soul
Now, when I look out through your eyes
I'm young again, even though I'm very old

CHORUS

Oh my music makes you dance
And gives you spirit to take a chance
And I wrote some rock 'n' roll so you can move
Music fills your heart
Well, that's a real fine place to start
It's from me it's for you
It's from you, it's for me
It's a worldwide symphony

CHORUS
CHORUS

I am Music (music) and I write the songs

Transcribed by Robin Hood

These lyrics were transcribed from the specific recording mentioned above
and do not necessarily correspond with lyrics from other recordings, sheet
music, songbooks or lyrics printed on album jackets.
<font size=3 color=indigo face=Times New Roman>The following musical praise chorus is in the notebook that Keith uses at Madison. The song, written by Keith Green, is arranged by Keith Lancaster. I am assuming that Keith’s arrangement allows the “Leader” to sing [perform] his/her “lead” part to a noticeably different tune while the others sing the regular tune. It is written below intentionally without capitalizing the word “you” to get my point across:
  • Title: “You Are the One for Me”

Leader:

How I love, you are the one, yes you are the one,
    Oh, how I love, ‘cause you are the one, Oh [repeat]

Followers:

I was so lost, but you showed me the way,
    ‘cause you are the way,
    I was so lost, but you showed the way to me.
    ------[repeat … whatever … repeat … ha-ha-ha …]
    ------[the c,c,1,c,2,c,3,c,c and the “oh” … I’m confused]

Ending:

Yes, you are the one for me,
    Yes, you are the one for me.
Sorry, honestly, my mind is too tired right now to figure out all the musical symbols and the oh-oh-oh and c,c,c,c,1,2,1,3,3,c,1,1,2, bla-bla-bla. But I think you get the message that this would be a “worldly” erotic pop song if the listener weren’t already a Christian or were someone who knew nothing at all about Christ in the first place. Yet praise choruses, such as this one, are designed to entertain and please the “seekers” so they will come back to the “worship service” or visit and be with the “believers” to JOIN in “worship.”

Donnie

P.S.: I wonder if I have the will to post next time another song with a misleading title, “If You Miss Me.” This one starts with these words: “If you miss me from a singin’ down here you can’t find me nowhere nowhere…” Yup, “you can’t find me nowhere.” This one reminds me of another song titled, “My Lord, He Done Done” or “Jesus Will Fix It” [fix what?????????] </font>

Jimmy Wren
Jimmy Wren

June 1st, 2005, 4:40 pm #14

Estill write: "My question to you was: So, where does it say (as you have stated) “Keith is the one responsible, isn’t he? I mean the web site claims that he is"...?

Here it is: "Acappella Ministries began in the early 1980's as a dream of a young Keith Lancaster. He knew that God had blessed him with a dream to spread the Gospel to the world through unique, a cappella music. He had the music and the Gospel. The hard part was taking it to the world. All he had was a family, a station wagon, some singers, and a lot of prayers. God blessed his vision and efforts.

<font size=3 color=blue>It plainly states that this is Keith's dream...God blessed his vision and efforts. Keith is the one person responsible! Or, are you blaming Donnie for this also?</font>

Also I have recanted nothing. I only answered the question you ask. Nothing has changed from my original post!

In Christian Love,

Jimmy
Hello Estill,

In my answer “Yes, Indeed!” I pointed out that the web site was not referring to “SOMEONE” as your question did, but rather to “PEOPLE” as in the plural. I also pointed out that this was not a one time occurrence but, as the web sites states: <font size=3 color=red> OFTEN. </font>

I also made it clear that <font size=3 color=indigo face>this was NOT a person who was not paying attention but “people” who really thought that they did understand the words of the SONGS!

We are not talking about ONE song either! We are talking about many songs, unless of course they sing the same song OFTEN.

Notice: …people singing along are singing the wrong words (surely people understand some of his songs).

Notice: We have been accused of cursing. Which songs sound like cursing?

Notice: …supporting all manner of sinful activities… It would certainly take several songs to include “all manner of sinful activities.”

Notice: …supporting political platforms. Since “platforms” is in the plural, it would take several songs to get all of that in.”</font>

In other words we have this happening <font color=blue>OFTEN. </font> <font color=indigo face>People are singing along with the song and singing the wrong words! </font>

My fix for such a problem would be to <font color=red>change a few “words” in each of the songs. Why continue to use “words” that sound like “curse words?” Unless that is the results you desire. </font>

In another answer to you: No I Am Not. I wrote: If some people, on ONE occasion, misunderstood the words to ONE song we would not even be discussing it. Okay! Do you understand that my answer is NO.

I don’t see how anyone could fault the CEO or the performers if only at one location, and with only one song, and with only one audience of people, there was a misunderstanding.

But when such happens “OFTEN” it would not be logical to blame the audience. You must place blame where it belongs and that would be with the man in charge. The man in charge is aware of the problem but does he fix it? No! He says go to my web site and read the words of the songs.

I would prefer the man in charge to say “I will give up the “cursing” songs, or I will change some of the “words” of the songs.

<font size=3 color=blue>There must be some advantage for him to leave the “sounds like cursing words” in. He sure does not intend to “fix” them. Now ain’t that something? On his web site, he claims to be spreading the gospel through his music! Yet on that same web site he acknowledges that "people misunderstand, people think we are cursing, and etc." </font>

Estill, you may not understand or agree with Ken’s post but songs that OFTEN cannot be understood by the audience would be the same as singing in an unknown tongue.

In Christian Love,

Jimmy

Jimmy Wren
Jimmy Wren

June 2nd, 2005, 4:52 am #15

"Thanks for your heads-up about worship leaders --article dated April 6, '03.( http://www.concernedmembers.com/editori ... .htm#part7 ) I wasn't aware of Amos 6.5. Your article also reminded me of the song (I think written by Barry Manilow) that goes "I am Music and I write the songs."
God bless, Sandra

I Write The Songs

CHORUS

CHORUS

Music fills your heart

CHORUS
CHORUS

It’s not about CONGREGATIONAL SINGING, with praise teams. It is not about WORSHIP with praise teams. <font size=3 color=blue>It’s all about leadership, or to use their own words, it is all about FLOW! It is about keeping the services “MOVING” from one point to another in an exciting, entertaining way.</font>

Some excerpts for this lesson will be used from “Worship Leaders Magazine.”

Many Churches of Christ use to enjoy congregational singing. We would take our hymn book, all turn to the same song, some one selected to lead the congregation in the service that day would start the song and everyone would join in.

There was no one to “rush” you. There were no “special” singers “selected and ordained” before hand to hold up the song leader. There were no “paid” singers, i.e. no one had to be paid to worship.

The songs were simple songs. The songs had a purpose to them. Just as the preacher would read a simple text from the Bible for his sermon, the congregation would sing a sermon in song.

The services were planned with a time allocated for congregational singing. There were no ulterior motives to the congregational singing.

<font color=blue>The singing was not for the purpose of entertaining the visitors.

The singing was not for the purpose of taking the boredom out of the worship.

The singing was not for the purpose of leading the worshippers into the presence God.

The singing was not for the purpose of exciting a rhythmic, energetic feeling in one’s body. </font>

It was a simple service, with simple Christians worshipping God.

What changed it in some places? Money. It is all about money. If you don’t think that it is about money let me challenge you to stop paying your worship leader and your praise team and see how dependable they are for your worship! And it is not just the paid performers that hang in for the dough, your elders think the crowds will become larger, and larger crowds equate to more money. It is not spiritual, it is money. LUST, LUST, and more LUST.

Having said that let us turn our attention to the purpose of the worship leader and the praise team.

Worship Leader Magazine states:<font color=indigo face>“Rhythm affects the body; it creates a holistic response which helps to bring the rest of the person – mind and spirit – into the flow. That’s why the transitions between fast and slow songs are so important.”</font>

This reminds me of the children of Israel at Mount Sinai. <font color=red> “ And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.” </font> Exodus 32:1

Eugene Peterson says we can’t see Jesus or God so we have to use our imagination. Rubel Shelly says we “take the Jesus” from the Bible. Dallas Willard says “God spoke to me.” John York says “live a Spirit empowered life.”

Some of those that use to encourage a person to study and live what the Bible teach, no longer do that. Rubel and York lead us to believe that the Bible is to be interpreted by the “scholars.”

No wonder we find such “organized chaos” in some congregations. Look at what the children of Israel did without Moses. “And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.” Exodus 32:6

The Israelites were “religious.” They took care of worship at an early hour. They brought their offerings. But they took their instructions and leadership from someone other then God or Moses.

Some congregations are allowing worship leaders to lead the congregation into a certain rhythm that affects the body of the Christian, or listener, and creates a holistic response which helps to bring the person into the flow.

Worship Leader Magazine: Any worship leader has to master Theme, Key and Tempo,” Baloche explains. “I call them the ‘Flow Factors’ and they are the building blocks to creating a seamless service.”

Jimmy comments: Is that what congregational singing is all about?

Worship Leader Magazine: We think picking the right songs is what matters and, of course, that’s a vital consideration. But it’s what happens between and around those songs that really make for a successful service.

Jimmy comments: <font size=3 color=blue>There you have it folks! The success is not the songs, it is what happens between and around the songs that count! That is why you have so many La La La La La La Do Do Da Das between lines of songs. </font>

Worship Leader Magazine: Thorough rehearsal, according to Park, is essential for both the structure and spontaneity of a service… Park puts a slightly different spin on the subject of congregational response. “A lack of reaction can be very discouraging,” he acknowledges. “And sometimes you just have to ignore it. <font size=3 color=indigo face>You’ve got to purpose to go for what you’re after, no matter what. </font>

Jimmy comments: The worship leaders are to go for what they are after, NO MATTER WHAT! The motivation for the worship leader is a "NO MATTER WHAT!" Boy! That says a lot about these worship leaders!

Well, like most things it may play itself out. Then again the churches could become admission charging arenas of “feel good” entertainment.

In Christian Love,

Jimmy

Estill
Estill

June 2nd, 2005, 9:23 am #16

E.B. the issue was the TEAM and KEITH, not you!

Ken
Okay, thanks.

When you used "you people" and "you guys" it looked like you were talking to either Jimmy or me since we were having a discussion.

E.B.

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

June 5th, 2005, 5:35 am #17

God bless, Sandra

I Write The Songs

CHORUS

CHORUS

Music fills your heart

CHORUS
CHORUS

<font size=3 color=indigo face=Times New Roman>Graham Kendrick, who wrote the following song in 1995, is ALSO one of those who have exploited the “Christian music” business for profit in the name of the Christian religion. He has written “several hundred songs” that organizations such as www.worshipmusic.com promote. There are a few of Kendrick’s religious music pieces that are ALSO in Keith Lancaster’s collection of songs for Madison (see notebook #170).
Doesn’t any man or woman wonder about the emotional or erotic impact on his/her nerve endings when certain words or expressions in the song are uttered … whether or not the name of Jesus is mentioned in the song? As the chairman/president of the BBN (Bible Broadcasting Network) has said recently about CCM (Contemporary Christian Music), many men are embarrassed and do not participate in the singing of certain contemporary songs that express how “beautiful” Jesus is, etc. The song “I Stand in Awe” [really?] begins with: “You are beautiful beyond description.”

Well, again, in the song below, certain words such as “you” and “your” are not capitalized to get my point across. You know, there are some songs of romance that contain expressions as “your love divine.” But the word “divine” in a natural love song does not qualify it as a hymn or spiritual song. So, are you ready?
  • Title: “I Was Made for This”

[v.1] Oh, I was made for this: to know your tender kiss,
    to know a love divine, to know this love is mine,
    and I was made to laugh and I was made to sing,
    given the gift of life, you gave me everything.

[v.2] My feet were made to dance, my spirit made to soar.
    My life is not by chance, you give me more and more,
    for I was made for you and I have made my choice,
    and all that stole my joy I left at the cross.

[v.3] When I was far away you ran to welcome me.
    I felt your warm embrace; I saw your smiling face,
    and when you rescued me I saw my destiny:
    to worship you my Lord, to be a friend of God.

So I will celebrate and drink your cup of joy.
    I will give thanks each day and sing.
    My joy is found in you and you are all my joy.
    Oh, I was made for this.
    I was made to love you Jesus. I was made for this.
    Oh, I was made to love you Jesus. I was made for this.
Well, there are too many I … I … I … I … I … me … and … my.

What about just singing “Jesus loves me! This I know, for the Bible tells me so.” Or, “Let the beauty of Jesus be SEEN IN ME all His wonderful passion and purity.”

Donnie </font>

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

June 7th, 2005, 8:29 am #18

God bless, Sandra

I Write The Songs

CHORUS

CHORUS

Music fills your heart

CHORUS
CHORUS

<font color=indigo size=3 face=Times New Roman>I only wish you could actually hear Keith and his “praise” minstrels perform this praise music from “Integrity’s Praise! Music.” I have just met the writer of the music below via Google search, LaMarquis Jefferson. So, let me introduce LaMarquis to you. (Open Keith’s contemporary music notebook exclusively for Madison’s use. “Ain’t No Rock”—notebook #156, arr. Keith Lancaster & Eric Bright.) Here’s the link:</font>
  • <font color=black>Source: http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sec ... ycode=8366

Track Star

Session Ace LaMarquis Jefferson Sets the Pace in the Atlanta Studio Scene

By Kevin Owens | May 2005

If you’ve heard any of the R&B and hip-hop that’s come out of Atlanta over the last decade, chances are you’ve heard the playing of LaMarquis Jefferson. In addition to being the exclusive bassist for multi-platinum producer Jermaine Dupri, the “king of crunk” Lil Jon, and contemporary R&B singer/songwriter Tony Rich, Jefferson and his grooves have graced recordings from OutKast, TLC (that’s him on “Waterfalls”), Da Brat, Lil’ Kim, MC Lyte, Petey Pablo, and the decidedly un-crunk Michael Bolton, among others. He also recently received a Grammy nomination for his contributions to Usher’s mega-hit “Yeah!” Thanks to his mastery of his instrument, his studio savvy, and his business smarts, the 39-year-old LaMarquis has carved out a niche for himself as a first-call studio bassist in a scene long-dominated by synthetic low end.

[There’s more about this “first-call studio bassist” from the link above. I think Keith should invite Michael Bolton to co-worshiplead. Keith would need only one Michael Bolton in place of the 3 co-leaders who perform with him with their hand-held microphones—in addition to his Praise Team co-performers … also with their individual microphones.]
    ______________________________ </font>
Oh, yes, here’s the praise music—it must be performed with the “Shout!” as indicated:
  • <font color=black>Title: “Ain’t No Rock”

(v.1) Ain’t no rock, [SHOUT: Ain’t no rock!] gonna cry in my place.
    As long as I’m alive I’ll glorify His holy Name!

(v.2) Ain’t no tree, [SHOUT: Ain’t no tree!] gonna lift its branches.
    I lift my hands to glorify His holy Name!

(v.3) Ain’t no birds, [SHOUT: Ain’t no birds!] gonna sing in my place.
    I lift my voice to glorify His holy Name!

Everybody sing praise His holy Name.
    As long as I’m alive I’ll glorify His holy Name!
    Everybody sing praise His only Name.
    As long as I’m alive I’ll glorify His holy Name!</font>

Donnie

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

June 10th, 2005, 9:18 am #19

God bless, Sandra

I Write The Songs

CHORUS

CHORUS

Music fills your heart

CHORUS
CHORUS

<font color=indigo size=3 face=Times New Roman>If the title of the post sounds offensive to you, please don’t feel that way. It’s only the title of a CCMM (Contemporary Christian Music Movement) piece “I Can Only Imagine.” This post can be subtitled as: </font>
<font size=4>“Christian” Pop Music “I Can Only Imagine”—Not Congregational Singing-Conducive</font>
<font color=indigo size=3 face=Times New Roman>That is true! “I Can Only Imagine” (see in Keith’s notebook #104) has been performed by the Praise Team to/for the congregation only a few times since Keith Lancaster’s fulltime employment as Madison’s “Worship Leader.” Yes, only a few times … why? Because he knows that only his Praise Team can perform it best. He also knows that even the “contemporary” congregation finds it difficult to sing. Why? Because it is a one-verse musical piece that literally takes up almost 3 pages of words with the music in Keith’s wide notebook. It certainly was designed to be sung and recorded by a pop artist as a business endeavor. The title also strongly suggests that it be performed best by a soloist.
  • Title: “I Can Only Imagine” (by Bart Millard [arr. Eric Bright])

Leader: I can only imagine what it will be like
    -------------------- Ooh - -------------------------
    Leader: when I walk by your side.
    Leader: I can only imagine what my eyes will see
    Leader: when Your face is before me.
    Leader: I can only imagine,
    Leader: I can only imagine.

[14] Chorus ($DS): Surrounded by Your glory what will my heart feel
    Chorus: Will I dance for You, Jesus, or in awe of you be still
    Chorus: Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will fall,
    Chorus: Will I sing Hallelujah! Will I be able to speak at all,
    Chorus: I can only imagine,
    Chorus: Oh, I can only imagine. [To Coda 39]

Leader: I can only imagine when that day comes
    Leader: when I find myself standing in the sun.
    Leader: I can only imagine
    Leader: when all I will do is forever, forever worship You.
    Leader: I can only imagine. [D.S. (14) al Coda]
    -------------------- Ooh - ------------------------- [D.S. (14) al Coda]

[39] CODA (Unison): I can only imagine
    CODA: when all I will do is forever,
    CODA: forever worship You.

Leader: I can only imagine.
    Ooh__: I can only imagine.
_________________________________ </font>

<font color=black>Link: http://www.flutespot.com/1703961.html
Click to Buy!

119 pages, Item number 1703961DJ, $16.95
"I Can Only Imagine" features 12 songs with sheet music for treble clef C instruments (flute, violin, or oboe). This folio includes the instrumental solo, as well as piano accompaniment. This collection of praise music is sure to be a hit.

Gift wrap is available for this product for a fee of $4.95. To order this item with gift wrap, call us toll free at (800) 819-3055.
Product Format: Instrumental Folio

This item is in the Top 10% Bestseller list.
This product has a difficulty rating of 4 on a scale of 1 through 6, with 6 being hardest.
A piano accompaniment is included with this book.
Chord symbols are included in this book.
How to purchase this item: To purchase "I Can Only Imagine", just click on the "Click to Buy!" button above. You will then have the option of placing your order online or ordering by mail, fax or phone.

Questions: If you have any questions about "I Can Only Imagine", or would like to ask a sales representative about another product, call us toll free at (800) 819-3055. For your convenience, we are open Monday through Friday from 9 AM until 7 PM Eastern time.

Return Policy: This product can be returned within 15 days of purchase for a full refund, excluding shipping charges.</font>

Donnie

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

June 12th, 2005, 9:40 am #20

<font size=3 color=indigo face=Times New Roman>Have you directed your “mouse” to the “Click to Buy” button yet?

While you may read “Will I dance for you, Jesus” once and sing it twice, the expression “I can only imagine” is mentioned 14 times and repeated in singing this musical piece at least that many times. It is way more than just the 7-11 contemporary “Christian” music rules—you know, that thingy about “a line of 7 words—repeat 11 times.”

Donnie </font>