Sarge
Sarge

January 17th, 2017, 3:35 pm #31

Script, you really need to change your handle from "Scripture" to "Script's Opinions". JMHO

Sarge
Sarge

January 17th, 2017, 3:58 pm #32

Does [color=#0000FF" size="5" face="times][ . . . ][/color]?

Peace.

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Thanks for the article above.[/color]
"Chivalry is a choice men should make"

Just saying, Donnie really protects Script....?

January 18th, 2017, 7:08 am #33

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Sarge, that's a great quote: I agree.

Protect Script from what? Let's not worry ... Script can take care of himself. [/color]

January 18th, 2017, 7:23 am #34

Script, you really need to change your handle from "Scripture" to "Script's Opinions". JMHO
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Sarge,

You said recently that you joke a lot. So, are you joking now or is something really troubling you?

I agree with Scripture that "pastor" and "shepherd" have the same meaning biblically speaking, although I think that in the Baptist Churches, their one "pastor" is the one "elder" who is over their "deacons."[/color]

Sarge
Sarge

January 18th, 2017, 11:35 am #35

proxy

noun, plural proxies.
the agency, function, or power of a person authorized to act as the deputy or substitute for another.

DONNIE AND SCRIPT, STRANGE, VERY STRANGE, INDEED!

Scripture
Scripture

January 18th, 2017, 2:20 pm #36

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Sarge,

You said recently that you joke a lot. So, are you joking now or is something really troubling you?

I agree with Scripture that "pastor" and "shepherd" have the same meaning biblically speaking, although I think that in the Baptist Churches, their one "pastor" is the one "elder" who is over their "deacons."[/color]
In Acts 20, Paul called the elders together so that they might more adequately lead the church.

He said that their job (elders) was to "pastor" (shepherd) the flock through their oversight (as bishop [episcopos], overseer). Look around verse 28. All three "positions" in this passage refer to the same "office" (work).

Baptists have it right that "rule" (leadership) should be congregational, since hierarchies historically gave rise to traditionalism and priestly abuse. Churches of Christ share congregational rule in common with Baptists.

To prevent abuse that elders might bring to the congregation, "office" and "rule" need to be carefully studied. It's as wrong for an elder to be abusive and overbearing as it is a "pastor" in the Baptist Church.

What the Baptist Churches and Churches of Christ share in common is the role of "the" preacher in church turmoil. Elders can prevent lop-sided rule by the preacher in the congregation, even as "deacons" can curb "pastor" abuse in the Baptist Churches. Every power needs to be so limited.

There is wide latitude in the operations of elders in the Churches of Christ. Some are congregationally chosen, while other elderships constitute self-appointing powers. There are three centers of power, normally speaking, each which can check the other. There is the preacher and staff (minister, "pastor"), there is the elder (or deacon in the Baptist Church), there is the congregation which forms the third partner. All in all, Paul says that we are all "to be subject one to another" just before he discusses relations between Christ and the church, husband and wife, fathers and children, and masters and slaves. Check latter part of Ephesians 5 and early verses in chapter 6.

I just use the quotes since I don't want to be latitudinal about the use of these terms. No disrespect is intended.

January 18th, 2017, 9:15 pm #37

proxy

noun, plural proxies.
the agency, function, or power of a person authorized to act as the deputy or substitute for another.

DONNIE AND SCRIPT, STRANGE, VERY STRANGE, INDEED!
Heredotus Hdt. 6.57 [2]

http://www.piney.com/Heredotus6.html

At each new moon and each seventh day of the first part of the month, a full-grown victim for Apollo's temple, a bushel of barley-meal, and a Laconian quart1 of wine are given to each from the public store, and chief seats are set apart for them at the games. [3] It is their right to appoint whatever citizens they wish to be protectors of foreigners;2

proxeinous. Proxeni are usually citizens of a foreign city who undertook to watch over the interests of the community which they represented, e. g. Callias was Proxenus of Sparta at Athens (cf. viii. 136. 1; Xen. Hell. vi. 3. 4). The Proxenia in these cases seems to have been almost hereditary in character (Thuc. v. 43; vi. 89). It does not appear probable that the kings had the appointment either of these Spartan Proxeni abroad or of the representatives of foreign states in Sparta. Hence P. Monceaux has suggested that these proxeni nominated by the kings were special ones appointed to do the honours of the state to foreigners who had no ordinary representative at Sparta; for some late analogies cf. Smith, Antiquities, i. 978.

Proxy:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... th#lexicon

Sarge
Sarge

January 19th, 2017, 3:50 am #38

Ken's bread and butter.

Flood the thread.

Muddy the water.

Never answer a direct question.

🌝

January 19th, 2017, 4:56 am #39

In the old "modern" era one might show gratitude for looking up some stuff about PROXY. No? That's ok.

What question did you ask?

Scripture
Scripture

January 19th, 2017, 5:15 am #40

Sarge, remember the verse, "it has not been given to all to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven." Matt. 13:11. Jesus says that we must ask, seek, and knock. Matt. 7:7. Then one may understand the mysteries. . . .