How do others interpret Song of Soloman

How do others interpret Song of Soloman

July 9th, 2016, 2:55 pm #1

Should the Song of Solomon be used to teach high-school aged Christians about dating and marriage? Should it be taught in the assembly or for private study? I have been reading various commentaries on this book, and wanted to see what James Burton Coffman had to say. Unfortunately, I can only access the first chapter thru "StudyLight". I have searched the web for other access, but no one else has it available without purchasing. From what I read narrative theologians have a broader interpretation, while some of the older scholars attributed it to paganism. I'm curious if this is why I can't access the remaining chapters via StudyLight? Ken provided me with some additional resources, and I thought I would share them with everyone. I'm curious what others think, and would welcome any additional comments and/or resource material.

http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ ... lomon.html

The Shulammite girl addresses them on three occasions. It is interesting to note that the word "Shulammite" is the feminine form of Solomon. Therefore we would call this lady Mrs. Solomon.

Preachers deliver thousands of songs suggesting a relationship with God. God ABANDONED Israel because of instrumental-trinitarian-perverted idolatry at Mount Sinai. Paul in Romans 1 removes all doubt.<font>

Ken Sublett (quote)

http://www.piney.com/Romans.1.html

http://biblicalstudies.org.uk/article_s ... er.html#47

<font color="#0000FF">As early as 1906, Wilhelm Erbt suggested that the Song was a collection of poems of Canaanitish origin. These poems, he said, described the love of the sun-god Tammuz[48] (also called Dod or Shelem) and the moon-goddess Ishtar (under the name of Shalmith).[49] The idea of similarities between the Song of Songs and Tammuz liturgies was then developed by Theophile J. Meek, who suggested that the Song had been derived from the liturgical rites of the Adonis-Tammuz cult.[50] In support of this thesis, appeal was made to certain references in the prophets to the Tammuz cult (e.g., Ezek 8:14; Zech 12:11). Shortly thereafter, Wilhelm Wittekindt "envisaged the composition in terms of a Jerusalem liturgy celebrating the union of Ishtar and Tammuz at the spring lunar festival."[51] Of course the Song was no longer in its original (and more offensive) form, but had been revised so as to render it innocuous and to harmonize it with the worship of Yahweh. Other scholars, such as W. O. E. Oesterley and N. H. Snaith, adopted this view, though with certain variations.

http://www.piney.com/MuTammuz.html

I hope I set this up correctly, if not let me know.
</font> </font>
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on July 9th, 2016, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2016, 9:38 pm #2

This references Tammuz who was the Jewish messiah among the women and the men celebrating Holy Ishtar Services by turning their BACKS to the temple

In Romans 14 Paul silenced doubtful disputations or human opinions which did not edify or educate. Recorded history reveals what Paul was warning against in Rome which was DONE IN THE DARK and which had been outlawed by Roman Law which limited the Old Wineskinners to a limited number at one time and ONLY IN DAYLIGHT.

The Orphics, Dionysiacs and Pythagoreans all depended on the KOSMOS or heavenly bodies as the rationale for instrumental and vocal music which always lead to somebody doing somebody wrong.

In Romans 15 Paul SILENCED Self-pleasure which led to the reproaches or NAKEDNESS of Jesus as He was musically mocked. Then the ONE PIECE PATTERN which no disciple with A holy spirit could ever misunderstand; "Use one mind and one mouth to teach that which is written for our LEARNING" or "Scripture for our COMFORT" which is how Jesus as Paraklete COMFORTS through His Word which IS SPIRIT AND LIFE.

Ezekiel 8 defines the worship of Tammuz which was the Babylonian-Jewish SON always trying to kick Jesus as SON out of the nest like a Cookoo hatchling.

Ezekiel who calls speakers for hire, singers and instrument players is defined by Ovid describing the Roman Jewish Synagogue. Why do you suppose all of the giddy JUDAIZERS work so hard to perform music "to make the lambs dumb before the slaughter" WILL NOT teach the prophets or lie about them.

July 15th, 2016, 3:14 pm #3

Preparing to give up my farm as heaven on earth, I stacked all of my books on Instrumental Music and THE Holy Spirit even though there is no THE. Music Stacks up about 2 ft high and Holy Spirit about one foot high divided between the Campbell-Restoration and historic view and most being the Lipscomb View which John calls ANTICHRISTISM and the Bible calls ignorant. Speaking with a local preacher we agreed that there is no original thinking in any of them but they all BLEED OFF others. If a Thought Leader lies about a historical scholar then all of the ANTI-church of Christ books and BLOGS will repeat the same lie.

We have noted that GOD is derived from GAD and also DOD. Gad was the SEER of the Sun God who spoke to David.

Scripture always defines the ONE GOD THE FATHER by association with historical people and events. Tammuz was the false son in Ezekiel 8 worshipped with obscenity in the holy places while the men held their SUN RISE SERVICE which "turned their backs" to the temple where they CLAIMED that they had the true God in a box, inside of a house.

Notes on Dianna's quotation:

48] Tammuz was a Sumerian and Babylonian god of fertility (the Akkadian name is Tammuz and the Sumerian name is Dumuzi). P. W. Gaebelein Jr. states, "Principal rites associated with the god were the annual sacred marriage of the king or governor to a chief priestess insuring the fertility of crops and livestock, and an annual mourning by women of Tammuzs departure to the underworld when vegetation died in the scorching summer heat" ("Tammuz," in International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, 4 [1979]: 726).

When apostates use the feminine and effeminate to "lead you into the presence of God" or to sing LOVE-PRAISE songs, they are mocking Jesus. Almost by definition as Jesus as HOLY SPIRIT told Paul to tell APT elders (if you can find one) that the embarassing rhetoric, singing, playing instruments, clapping or acting are MARKS of predestined spirits (Jude) and THEY ARE LYING IN WAIT TO DECEIVE.

As agent of the once Christian Churches being taken captive by the same agent, Jeff Walling has been instrumental is the DEVEILING of already Tennessee Churches:

http://www.piney.com/Jeff.Walling.Dares ... h.God.html

The Brides and Bridergrooms in Revelation 18 along with the speakers, singers and instrument players are identified as the fruitish priests of the Babylon Mother of Harlots. They are performing the historic of their OLD AGE Hieros gamos or the Sacred Marriage. The Locals gave the good song books to a denomination and brought the Howard song books after the Fuller-Wimber PRAISE BOOKS. Carol Wimber influencing universities by women professors boasts about music producing a sexual-like experience with God.

[50] Theophile J. Meek, "Canticles and the Tammuz Cult," American Journal of Semitic Languages and Literature 39 (1922-23): 1-14; and idem, "The Song of Songs and the Fertility Cult," in The Song of Songs: A Symposium, ed. Wilfred H. Schoff (Philadelphia: Commercial Museum, 1924), 48-79. Meek saw a connection between "my beloved" and the pagan gods, as Bullock explains, "Meek proposed that "" (usually translated my beloved) was a proper noun and was none other than the god Addu, or Adad, who in Syria-Palestinian texts was called Addu and Dad, or Dadu, the Syrian counterpart to the Sumero-Akkadian Tammuz. He cited 5:9 as definitely being attached to the god - 'Dod who but Dod is thy Beloved!'" (Bullock, An Introduction to the Old Testament Poetic Books, 213).

Because no one can SELL STUDY about God, THEOLOGY is a word highly dedicated to the study and worship of Apollon-Abaddon. The Mark is that as leader of the female or effeminate worship teams he exposes the LOCUSTS who are busy as we speak SEPARATING and COLLECTING those with the mark of the BEAST: Zoe or Eve among the feminist theologian is called the "Beast and female instructing principle." If up to half or more of your congregation seems to have been "raptured" know that the rapture speaks of being RAPED and translated out of your locak group.

pulcher , Venus: (Zoe, Lucifer, Eve as the feminist mediatrix) “as an epithet of Apollon,” Verg. A. 3, 119 , beautiful, a HIGH PRICE, cunningly

Verg. A. 3.119
your far-descended stem
shall to its bounteous bosom draw ye home.
Seek out your ancient Mother! There at last
Aeneas' race shall reign on every shore,
and his sons' sons, and all their house to be.”
So Phoebus [Apollon] spoke; and mighty joy uprose
from all my thronging people, who would know
where Phoebus' city lay, and whitherward
the god ordained the wandering tribe's return.

Then spake my father, pondering olden days
and sacred memories of heroes gone:
“Hear, chiefs and princes, what your hopes shall be!

hence the ancient worship given
to the Protectress of Mount Cybele,
mother of Gods
, what time in Ida's grove
the brazen Corybantic cymbals clang,
or sacred silence guards her mystery,

God's Love is Spiritual and not LITERAL or VIRTUAL.

William
William

July 15th, 2016, 8:36 pm #4

Should the Song of Solomon be used to teach high-school aged Christians about dating and marriage? Should it be taught in the assembly or for private study? I have been reading various commentaries on this book, and wanted to see what James Burton Coffman had to say. Unfortunately, I can only access the first chapter thru "StudyLight". I have searched the web for other access, but no one else has it available without purchasing. From what I read narrative theologians have a broader interpretation, while some of the older scholars attributed it to paganism. I'm curious if this is why I can't access the remaining chapters via StudyLight? Ken provided me with some additional resources, and I thought I would share them with everyone. I'm curious what others think, and would welcome any additional comments and/or resource material.

http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ ... lomon.html

The Shulammite girl addresses them on three occasions. It is interesting to note that the word "Shulammite" is the feminine form of Solomon. Therefore we would call this lady Mrs. Solomon.

Preachers deliver thousands of songs suggesting a relationship with God. God ABANDONED Israel because of instrumental-trinitarian-perverted idolatry at Mount Sinai. Paul in Romans 1 removes all doubt.<font>

Ken Sublett (quote)

http://www.piney.com/Romans.1.html

<font color="#0000FF">As early as 1906, Wilhelm Erbt suggested that the Song was a collection of poems of Canaanitish origin. These poems, he said, described the love of the sun-god Tammuz[48] (also called Dod or Shelem) and the moon-goddess Ishtar (under the name of Shalmith).[49] The idea of similarities between the Song of Songs and Tammuz liturgies was then developed by Theophile J. Meek, who suggested that the Song had been derived from the liturgical rites of the Adonis-Tammuz cult.[50] In support of this thesis, appeal was made to certain references in the prophets to the Tammuz cult (e.g., Ezek 8:14; Zech 12:11). Shortly thereafter, Wilhelm Wittekindt "envisaged the composition in terms of a Jerusalem liturgy celebrating the union of Ishtar and Tammuz at the spring lunar festival."[51] Of course the Song was no longer in its original (and more offensive) form, but had been revised so as to render it innocuous and to harmonize it with the worship of Yahweh. Other scholars, such as W. O. E. Oesterley and N. H. Snaith, adopted this view, though with certain variations.

I hope I set this up correctly, if not let me know.
</font> </font>
Good grief NO!! Present this to young people under the age of (fill in your own blank) and you will immediate lose them to tittering, jokes, and red faces. Are the parties in this scroll even married? I have seen adult women unable to read it aloud in mixed company. The justification for its inclusion in the canon required a tongue be stuck way over in somebody's cheek. In isolation you may choose or not choose to lift quotes from the text for illustration purposes, and some quotes, I am sure to the delight of the moderator's of this site have been included in some well-known songs, but in our society this scroll is impossible to study in mixed company.
The redeeming social value is that it shows us that it is quite acceptable for two lovers to love, and to (privately) express that love.

Ray
Ray

July 18th, 2016, 3:45 pm #5

"D" how do you and the Bible justiify interracial marriage?

July 18th, 2016, 8:20 pm #6

MY thesis agrees with the Bible that a church is a school of the Word. The direct command and the examples is that disciples assembled once each week:

It was EXCLUSIVE of Vocal or Instrumental Rejoicing or Rhetoric including self-authored speeches.
It was INCLUSIVE of Rest, Reading and Rehearsing the Word of God as delivered by God

Rest or Sabbath includes the word SCHOOL of the Word.

<font face="arial" size="4">The godly Jews organized Scripture instruction where there were at least ten family units. If you decide to be a New Testament church that might be a good size. The synagogue, like most societies, took care of the needs of the members but had no mandate to turn the local Bible School into an institution into everything but teaching the Word.

Paul said that both Jews and Gentiles were wise unto salvation because they had attended the Synagogue which existed throughout the world. The Pattern which is never changed in Scripture is:

Acts 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that PREACH him, being READ in the synagogues every sabbath day.

To that the Lord's Supper PREACHES the Death of Jesus. If you remember that Jesus died to become the only Teacher when elders teach that which has been taught. That will silence anything beyond education which defines the role of a Disciple or student.

Everyone goes about their now LIBERATED lives and in the Civil ekklesia a Contact Man was elected to receive or take care of any charity needs. The church had no STAFF because it had no ROLE and no DOLE to hold down the fort.

Unless someone is bringing reproach on the name of Jesus Christ, there is no one in authority to define "what we believe" or what we will decide in believers freed from a clergy. The spiritual Covenants God in Christ makes is with the laity exclusive of Priests or Levites or any one with more authority than others.

The forum has no "opinion" not included in speaking where the Bible speaks and all recorded church history which refutes the doctrinal decisions made by "progressives" not defined by Scripture.

My 59 years of married bliss and common knowledge is that marriage should have family background, religion and other considerations in common. Even the culture of different areas and food tastes can hinder a marriage. Nothing but character can guarantee anything.

</font>
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on July 18th, 2016, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.