Grays Creek Church of Christ: Its Decisions

bobby strock
bobby strock

May 7th, 2012, 12:24 am #1

There are no Elders of a Preach at the Grays creek Church of Christ where I attend. It is small and we were established less than a year ago. My question is who makes the decisions for the Congregation. I say the congregation makes the dicision and another man says the decision is made in the mem's meeting and then the congregation it informed. We only have 4 men in the congreation, I am the oldest and none of us for one reason or another is not qualified to be an Elder. I have only been a Christian since 2000 and I study quite a bit and want to improve on the context of the Bible. During reading yesterday, I thought I read that in out situation, the congregation made that decision and another man said that the men.s meeting made the decesion and informed the congreation. The reason this came up is because we going to have a gospel meeting. The following decisions have to be made. 1. How many sermons. 2. How much do we pay him, he will not tell us. 2. Types of advertising, ie; newspaper, handouts, bill board and etc.

thanks in advance
IN CHRIST
BOBBY STROCK

===========================

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Only the message title from the original ("decisions") has been changed; none of its contents has been edited.[/color]
Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on May 7th, 2012, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 8:13 am #2

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]The question of the selection of elders would make a good topic under the forum: "Sunday School in Exile." Since the name of the congregation is mentioned, I think this would also be a good place to discuss the congregation's specific needs and situation. Also, this forum is reserved for individual congregations or churches to allow them to discuss their own experiences and issues, especially those that deal with the effects of the Change Movement and other movements upon the local congregation.

My thinking is that it is not necessary for a new or a small starting congregation to select its elders until and unless there are men who meet the qualifications for the office as stipulated in the New Testament. I tend to agree with the statement that, at this juncture, "it is better for a congregation to be scripturally unorganized [without elders] than to be unscripturally organized [with unqualified elders].

There are references in the New Testament that define the qualifications for the office: I Timothy 3; Titus 1. Among others, one important responsibility of the elders is that of being teachers of the truth -- qualified and able to teach that which has been taught. They must not change the truth. As overseers, they can make decisions that do not alter the truth -- agreed time for the assembly, evangelizing without altering the gospel, wise use of the saints' contribution, etc.

... not forgetting your congregation's need concerning the plan for a gospel meeting and the specifics involved. As already mentioned, this would normally be a decision [that should not alter God's truth] to be made by the elders.

By following that leadership "model" as closely as possible and based on my understanding of the New Testament as to the differences between the man's and the woman's roles in the church and in the home [family], the men of your congregation should take the lead and make the decision(s) concerning your gospel meeting.[/color]

May 8th, 2012, 5:04 am #3

Agreed, Donnie.