Does the Christian Have Everlasting Life NOW?

Donnie Cruz
Donnie Cruz

May 15th, 2015, 8:05 am #1

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Throughout the Bible, in the majority of cases in the New Testament, we find the expression "everlasting life." We also find "life everlasting," "eternal life" or "life eternal." In our study, we will be using these expressions synonymously.

There are religions that teach that when one outside of Christ becomes a Christian (and we'd expect the conversion process to vary), the Christian automatically receives and has everlasting life. The well-accepted passage to support this doctrine is John 3:16 -- "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

On the other hand, there are those who teach that after his initial salvation or conversion, the Christian, is to do good works also (in addition to his faith) and remain faithful to the end in order to receive everlasting life. There is that <font size="3" color="#FF0000">"hope of eternal life"[/color]
(Titus 1:2; 3:7). Rev. 2:10 -- "...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

There are over 40 passages in the New Testament that speak of everlasting life or the other similar expressions [using the KJV for the search]. So, this subject is worth our review and study.

The passages quoted above may seem contradictory. But not really, when we do this: "rightly dividing the word of truth" (II Tim. 2:15).

Do we NOW have eternal life? Yes? No? Yes and No? Find those 40+ verses.</font>

May 17th, 2015, 1:20 am #2

This topic is very important because increasingly a pseudo-Calvinism emerges out of the "scholarly circles." A local preacher denied that baptism was required for the beginning of that life by quoting

Luke 19:9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.

He just ignored verse 8 which prompted verse 9

Luke 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.

This fella took my goods and gave them to himself. But, note verse 10:

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

That's the LITTLE FLOCK He came to save OUT of the World or the ECUMENICAL.

Another says that God has crafted him a crown and he cannot lose it.

"SALVATION" defines the meaning of IT IS and rests at the ENTRANCE to that strait gate at the end of the narrow, exclusive WAY or SECT and FEW will find it.

May 19th, 2015, 6:09 pm #3

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Throughout the Bible, in the majority of cases in the New Testament, we find the expression "everlasting life." We also find "life everlasting," "eternal life" or "life eternal." In our study, we will be using these expressions synonymously.

There are religions that teach that when one outside of Christ becomes a Christian (and we'd expect the conversion process to vary), the Christian automatically receives and has everlasting life. The well-accepted passage to support this doctrine is John 3:16 -- "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

On the other hand, there are those who teach that after his initial salvation or conversion, the Christian, is to do good works also (in addition to his faith) and remain faithful to the end in order to receive everlasting life. There is that <font size="3" color="#FF0000">"hope of eternal life"[/color]
(Titus 1:2; 3:7). Rev. 2:10 -- "...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

There are over 40 passages in the New Testament that speak of everlasting life or the other similar expressions [using the KJV for the search]. So, this subject is worth our review and study.

The passages quoted above may seem contradictory. But not really, when we do this: "rightly dividing the word of truth" (II Tim. 2:15).

Do we NOW have eternal life? Yes? No? Yes and No? Find those 40+ verses.</font>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]While discussing the thread, "You Ever Wonder Why [Jesus is God and Father]???" ... one poster (Bill), who seemed/was irritated when asked several technical questions, made this statement: "As I said, that Jesus is God is a no-brainer for most Christians. You would do better by returing to your most recent thread where you worry about whether Christians receive their salvation in this life or at some other time. "

So, we're back to this thread: "Does the Christian Have Everlasting Life NOW?"

This thread is not about "my" worry. This thread is about understanding whether or not the Christian has everlasting life, which is a reward, NOW.

Isn't it common knowledge that the award or reward (e.g., the "inheritance ... reserved in heaven" or an Olympic gold medal in a 100-meter sprint) is to be received AFTER one has accomplished or completed or achieved something?

Bill, this new and different thread was initiated with you in mind.

The Baptist religion teaches the doctrine of "once saved, always saved" with the implication that eternal life is received upon conversion [whatever that process is] and that the Christian does not "fall from grace."

What say you?[/color]

Bill
Bill

May 19th, 2015, 7:04 pm #4

Frankly, I don't worry when the Christian has everlasting life. The faithful Christian will get it in due course. That should be sufficient.

Hey, if you really want to worry about something, maybe you should return to that thread where you vainly try to convince everybody that Jesus is not God. You were/are obviously irritated when I said I believe that Jesus IS God, because you posted several long messages of dissent. So, I'll let you worry some more about it for awhile.

May 20th, 2015, 12:58 am #5

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]While discussing the thread, "You Ever Wonder Why [Jesus is God and Father]???" ... one poster (Bill), who seemed/was irritated when asked several technical questions, made this statement: "As I said, that Jesus is God is a no-brainer for most Christians. You would do better by returing to your most recent thread where you worry about whether Christians receive their salvation in this life or at some other time. "

So, we're back to this thread: "Does the Christian Have Everlasting Life NOW?"

This thread is not about "my" worry. This thread is about understanding whether or not the Christian has everlasting life, which is a reward, NOW.

Isn't it common knowledge that the award or reward (e.g., the "inheritance ... reserved in heaven" or an Olympic gold medal in a 100-meter sprint) is to be received AFTER one has accomplished or completed or achieved something?

Bill, this new and different thread was initiated with you in mind.

The Baptist religion teaches the doctrine of "once saved, always saved" with the implication that eternal life is received upon conversion [whatever that process is] and that the Christian does not "fall from grace."

What say you?[/color]
There are many in Churches of Christ who hold the same view. For instance, is your new youth leader connected with the man who financed the PCA invasion and discord at Smith Springs? I know a man who says that God has fashioned him a crown and he cannot lose it. At the same time he twists the only text he has. Only a Little Flock will grasp the invitation: they are marked or sealed because they insist on wanting to be baptized.

Eternity by definition is not related to a long time and it does not begin until "time shall be no more." The problem is that the pseudo Calvinists (never read Calvin) lift a verse out of context and are punished by not being able to read any more: God sends them strong delusions.

Luke 18:30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present TIME, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Is. 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty ONE that inhabiteth ETERNITY, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Rom 2:1 THEREFORE thou art inexcusable, O man,
<font color="#FFFFFF">.....
whosoever thou art that judgest:
.....for wherein thou judgest another,
.....thou condemnest thyself;
.....for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Rom 2:2 But we are sure that the judgment of God
.....is according to truth
..... against them which commit such things.

Rom 2:3 And thinkest thou this,
.....O man, that judgest them which do such things,
.....and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering;
.....not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Rom 2:5 But, after thy hardness and impenitent heart,
.....treasurest up unto thyself wrath against
.....the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, ETERNAL LIFE

Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious,
.....and do not obey the truth,
.....but obey unrighteousness,
.....indignation and wrath,

The Musical Idolaters COUNT on being contentious as a way to dissociate people to enable slipping in error.

2052.eritheia, er-ith-i´-ah; perhaps as the same as 2042; properly, intrigue, i.e. (by implication) faction: — contention(-ious), strife.

Contentio an eager stretching, a straining, exertion of the powers of body or mind, tension, effort, a vigorous struggling or striving for something, a struggle after. Labored, formal speech (opp. talk, conversation) In rhetoric, a contrasting of one thought with another, sermo in circulis, contentio disceptationibus

Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish,
.....upon every soul of man that doeth evil;
.....of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Rom 2:10 But glory, honour, and peace,
.....to every man that WORKETH GOOD
.....to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Rom 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Calvinists say that God IS a respecter of personS and therefore gladly call Paul a Liar and "Just preach Jesus."</font>
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on May 20th, 2015, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2015, 2:18 am #6

Frankly, I don't worry when the Christian has everlasting life. The faithful Christian will get it in due course. That should be sufficient.

Hey, if you really want to worry about something, maybe you should return to that thread where you vainly try to convince everybody that Jesus is not God. You were/are obviously irritated when I said I believe that Jesus IS God, because you posted several long messages of dissent. So, I'll let you worry some more about it for awhile.
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Help is needed. Can anyone suggest a religious topic or topics that Bill Crump would like to discuss? Lest I forget, Bill, what biblical topic would you like to discuss?[/color]

Bill
Bill

May 20th, 2015, 3:06 am #7

I can't think of a topic right off that's really urgent that hasn't already been blown to smithereens in other threads.

Perhaps a few among the alleged thousands of loyal readers who've heretofore posted nothing would be brave enough to suggest some valuable topics for discussion.

Frankly, I would think that dead-end topics wouldn't interest readers and would possibly dissuade them from participating. Examples of dead-end topics would include whether or not Jesus is God and exactly when the faithful Christian receives his salvation. Those and similar topics pose endlessly recycled arguments that don't go anywhere.

May 20th, 2015, 5:18 am #8

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]I see. There must be certain dead-end topics that continually interest you because you keep participating when they're revived. Hmm.

That's OK, Bill. If this thread doesn't interest you, there's nothing I can do about that. We'll continue the discussion without you. (I'm just time-bound right now. But I'll quote the passages that would seem to favor the "once saved, always saved" theology; and I'll also quote the passages that would negate the "once saved, always saved" theology. Remember, you're not required to read subsequent posts ... nor comment about them.)[/color]

May 22nd, 2015, 2:09 am #9

There are many in Churches of Christ who hold the same view. For instance, is your new youth leader connected with the man who financed the PCA invasion and discord at Smith Springs? I know a man who says that God has fashioned him a crown and he cannot lose it. At the same time he twists the only text he has. Only a Little Flock will grasp the invitation: they are marked or sealed because they insist on wanting to be baptized.

Eternity by definition is not related to a long time and it does not begin until "time shall be no more." The problem is that the pseudo Calvinists (never read Calvin) lift a verse out of context and are punished by not being able to read any more: God sends them strong delusions.

Luke 18:30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present TIME, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Is. 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty ONE that inhabiteth ETERNITY, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Rom 2:1 THEREFORE thou art inexcusable, O man,
<font color="#FFFFFF">.....
whosoever thou art that judgest:
.....for wherein thou judgest another,
.....thou condemnest thyself;
.....for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Rom 2:2 But we are sure that the judgment of God
.....is according to truth
..... against them which commit such things.

Rom 2:3 And thinkest thou this,
.....O man, that judgest them which do such things,
.....and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering;
.....not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Rom 2:5 But, after thy hardness and impenitent heart,
.....treasurest up unto thyself wrath against
.....the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, ETERNAL LIFE

Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious,
.....and do not obey the truth,
.....but obey unrighteousness,
.....indignation and wrath,

The Musical Idolaters COUNT on being contentious as a way to dissociate people to enable slipping in error.

2052.eritheia, er-ith-i´-ah; perhaps as the same as 2042; properly, intrigue, i.e. (by implication) faction: — contention(-ious), strife.

Contentio an eager stretching, a straining, exertion of the powers of body or mind, tension, effort, a vigorous struggling or striving for something, a struggle after. Labored, formal speech (opp. talk, conversation) In rhetoric, a contrasting of one thought with another, sermo in circulis, contentio disceptationibus

Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish,
.....upon every soul of man that doeth evil;
.....of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Rom 2:10 But glory, honour, and peace,
.....to every man that WORKETH GOOD
.....to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Rom 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Calvinists say that God IS a respecter of personS and therefore gladly call Paul a Liar and "Just preach Jesus."</font>
Heb. 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Heb. 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Heb. 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
Heb. 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Heb. 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

g5289. hupostole, hoop-os-tol-ay´; from 5288; shrinkage (timidity), i.e. (by implication) apostasy: — draw back.

684. apoleia, ap-o´-li-a; from a presumed derivative of 622; ruin or loss (physical, spiritual or eternal): — damnable(-nation), destruction, die, perdition, x perish, pernicious ways, waste.

1Cor. 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

May 22nd, 2015, 6:12 am #10

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. (Heb.10:36)

Key words in the passage:

1. after (Does it mean "now now"?)
2. might (Does it mean "not so sure"?)
3. promise (Does it mean "not currently experienced?)

Since Ken started it ("giving it away"), I'm going to do the same (but we will study and list those passages than seem to favor the "once saved, always saved" theology.

The other passage I'm thinking is this: In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began (Titus 1:2).[/color]