Layman
Layman

June 5th, 2015, 7:57 pm #21

I'll pass on the mythology. Donnie, could you refresh us on why pagan mythology is important to (some) Christians? Is pagan mythology connected in any way to the Word of God? Why mix the Word of God with pagan mythology? This is a credibility issue for Ken and Donnie.

Layman
Layman

June 5th, 2015, 8:47 pm #22

Response to Scripture: Just about anything beyond the WORD is a myth or fable. That does not prevent the progressive from lapping up Jewish and Babylonian fables: the fables you must subscribe to to get a passing grade from a professor whose published book is the "that which is written for our learning." In posting the GOD IS word, faith, grace etc it is important to try to define what God IS before you pretend to lead a flock in His Steps (the Sect called the WAY which is narrow, exclusive and despised by the WORLD VIEW.).

http://www.piney.com/Joseph.Shulam.Neti ... .Lord.html

http://www.piney.com/Joe.Shulam.First.C ... Model.html

God never creates, recreates, regenerates, upbuilds, saves or etc. by rhetoric, singing, playing instruments, acting, dancing, shouting, clapping or laying by in store for the Senior Pastor.

Jewish Fables would include the 'Lying pen of the Scribes' as they elevated the Temple as well as the "traditions of the elders" now being foisted into Churches of Christ by those collecting money as Messianic Jews. They get paid and defended even when they claim that the New Covenant of Messiah is really the OLD COVENANT made only to the Jews and proselytes.

2 Timothy 4 English Standard Version (ESV)

Preach the Word

4 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

June 5th, 2015, 10:04 pm #23

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Throughout the Bible, in the majority of cases in the New Testament, we find the expression "everlasting life." We also find "life everlasting," "eternal life" or "life eternal." In our study, we will be using these expressions synonymously.

There are religions that teach that when one outside of Christ becomes a Christian (and we'd expect the conversion process to vary), the Christian automatically receives and has everlasting life. The well-accepted passage to support this doctrine is John 3:16 -- "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

On the other hand, there are those who teach that after his initial salvation or conversion, the Christian, is to do good works also (in addition to his faith) and remain faithful to the end in order to receive everlasting life. There is that <font size="3" color="#FF0000">"hope of eternal life"[/color]
(Titus 1:2; 3:7). Rev. 2:10 -- "...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

There are over 40 passages in the New Testament that speak of everlasting life or the other similar expressions [using the KJV for the search]. So, this subject is worth our review and study.

The passages quoted above may seem contradictory. But not really, when we do this: "rightly dividing the word of truth" (II Tim. 2:15).

Do we NOW have eternal life? Yes? No? Yes and No? Find those 40+ verses.</font>
Layman: 2 Timothy 4 English Standard Version (ESV)

Preach the Word

4 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

ALL of the teachings of the progressives are MYTHS or JEWISH FABLES: how can you keep from getting bitten if you don't know that a copperhead smells like cucumber?

June 5th, 2015, 10:15 pm #24

I'll pass on the mythology. Donnie, could you refresh us on why pagan mythology is important to (some) Christians? Is pagan mythology connected in any way to the Word of God? Why mix the Word of God with pagan mythology? This is a credibility issue for Ken and Donnie.
Because we don't have any APT elders to "use one mind and one mouth to speak that which is written for our learning."

Sermo in Latin means in a conversational style.
Sermonizing by speaking of self marks the sons of the Devil says Jesus. Rhetoric with all of the spit and slaver is defined as a MYTH: if you compose it and teach it you are a MYTH MONGER. If you sell your own stuff Paul and the civilized Greek world called that PROSTITUTION.

Poetry or songs were to be written by MYTHMONGERS who defined an event as it SHOULD have been if Jesus had lived in the post-modern world. Civilized Greek laws did not permit a philosopher or poet to be a KERUSSO or a PRESBYTER who is a HERALD and not a ruler of a flock of goats.

Myths and JEWISH FABLES are what the Messianic Jews and their "c"hristian supporters tell because God HIDES from them. I am reviewing another Joe Shulam claim that neither Jesus nor the Apostles could be understood without the input of the "Traditions of the Fathers" meaning the Rabbi. He is defended by LU and the Northwest Church of Christ in Murfreesboro. Their preacher once said that the Word cannot be understood meaning without hireling theologians.

So, all of the churches you know about are defined by Paul so we have to MARK you for AVOIDANCE: I understand why you would not want people to know that their investments with Made-Offs are going to be DIVERTED by Pagans ie Judaizers.

Take a pain pill: the bait and switch are mongrels among us.
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on June 5th, 2015, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 6th, 2015, 6:10 pm #25

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Sure, Layman, here's the "refresh." Briefly:

The connection to what the Scripture says is not fostering paganism or mythology or pagan mythology. Rather, that the Scripture has recorded it and evidences are apparent. The Scripture has recorded idolatry practiced through the ages; it has recorded acts of murder, theft, etc.

Idolatry is in various forms, including musical idolatry when more attention is given to "musical worship" than to learning more about God's truth. I Sam. 15:23 -- "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry."

Acts 17:16 -- "Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry."

1 Cor. 10:14 -- "Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry."[/color]

Bill
Bill

June 6th, 2015, 9:57 pm #26

You're basically saying that if we become very proficient in pagan mythology, then the Scriptures will become more meaningful, since mythology supposedly complements the Scriptures and makes them much easier to understand. In other words, you're saying that the prerequisite for understanding the Scriptures is a thorough foundation in pagan mythology.

June 6th, 2015, 11:10 pm #27

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Did I say "very proficient ..."? No, I did not. Did I say "prerequisite for understanding" the Scripture? No, I did not.

Uh ... I came across this [it appears that Bill would not do research and refute this]:
[/color]
[color=#000000" size="3" face="times]The Trinity doctrine is not unique to, nor original with, Christianity. It has deep Pagan roots, dating back to at least two centuries BC, and has been prominent in many Eastern religions ever since.

The Roman Catholic and Orthodox Church Councils (Western and Eastern churches) brought the Trinity doctrine into Christianity. This occurred before there was a final split between the two over authority. Even those who voted the idea into Roman Catholic dogma declared it was a mystery that had to be accepted by faith. The theologians that wrote the Catholic Encyclopedia admit that there is no Old Testament indication of a triune God, and very little in the New Testament that can be construed that way. They also admit that it was a product of tradition that evolved over four centuries. The RCC gives equal credence to tradition and scripture. In this case tradition is almost the whole criteria for this dogma, aside from a few scriptures that are wrenched out of context and misinterpreted, trying to give the idea legitimacy.

The evolution of this doctrine within Christianity began with The Apostle’s Creed, progressed to the Nicene Creed, and finally culminated in the Athanasian Creed. ...
[/color]
=============================

[color=#FF0000" size="3" face="times]The above post is being edited to emphasize "DEEP PAGAN ROOTS."[/color]
Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on June 6th, 2015, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
Bill

June 7th, 2015, 1:24 am #28

Perhaps you think we need to study pagan mythology as much as or even more than the New Testament Scriptures themselves just so we can avoid believing in the Trinity. That's putting a lot of emphasis on pagan mythology just to avoid one doctrinal topic. Moreover, you do seem to put quite a bit of emphasis on studying pagan mythology in general, as if being so thoroughly versed will help us become better Christians.

Of course, there are a few pagan deities found in the New Testament, but they are mentioned only superficially in passing:

Twin brothers Castor and Pollux -- Acts 28:11

Diana -- Acts 19:24,27,28,34,35

Jupiter -- Acts 14:12

Mercury -- Acts 14:12

Then there is the generic reference to the "unknown god" -- Acts 17:23

The New Testament mentions "idolatry" only four times: Acts 17:16; 1 Cor. 10:14; Gal. 5:20; and Col. 3:5.

There are a number of New Testament references outside the Gospels that basically warn us to have nothing to do with idols as such, but the specific mythology of pagan deities is not discussed in those verses. That Christians should have nothing to do with idols and pagan deities is a no-brainer.

I couldn't find anything in the Gospels where Jesus discusses the mythology of specific pagan deities. Evidently He thought that the message of the Gospel was much too important to mix with accounts of pagan mythology.

There is a slew of pagan deities found in the Old Testament. It's fine to study their mythology as a separate, academic pursuit of historical interest, but don't make the mistake of mixing them with Christianity.

June 7th, 2015, 1:35 am #29

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Did I say "very proficient ..."? No, I did not. Did I say "prerequisite for understanding" the Scripture? No, I did not.

Uh ... I came across this [it appears that Bill would not do research and refute this]:
[/color]
[color=#000000" size="3" face="times]The Trinity doctrine is not unique to, nor original with, Christianity. It has deep Pagan roots, dating back to at least two centuries BC, and has been prominent in many Eastern religions ever since.

The Roman Catholic and Orthodox Church Councils (Western and Eastern churches) brought the Trinity doctrine into Christianity. This occurred before there was a final split between the two over authority. Even those who voted the idea into Roman Catholic dogma declared it was a mystery that had to be accepted by faith. The theologians that wrote the Catholic Encyclopedia admit that there is no Old Testament indication of a triune God, and very little in the New Testament that can be construed that way. They also admit that it was a product of tradition that evolved over four centuries. The RCC gives equal credence to tradition and scripture. In this case tradition is almost the whole criteria for this dogma, aside from a few scriptures that are wrenched out of context and misinterpreted, trying to give the idea legitimacy.

The evolution of this doctrine within Christianity began with The Apostle’s Creed, progressed to the Nicene Creed, and finally culminated in the Athanasian Creed. ...
[/color]
=============================

[color=#FF0000" size="3" face="times]The above post is being edited to emphasize "DEEP PAGAN ROOTS."[/color]
Because FEW ARE CHOSEN meaning a LITTLE FLOCK, those religionists who promote themselves do not want anyone else to know what they are doing. They may not know what they are doing since God hides from the wise or sophists meaning performance preachers, singers, instrument players or actors. However, it is a fact that we are surrounded by principalities and powers in high places and they most likely are Angels of Light.

I know of not a single preacher, elder or professor who has ever read or understood what happened at mount sinai: musical idolatry of the ALWAYS-PAGAN trinity by rising up to PLAY. This was a sin beyond redemption since the people had been instructed and witnesses true SIGNS and wonders instead of the magical tricks defending the Egyptian "gods."

1Corinthians 10:6 Now these things were our examples,
<font color="#FFFFFF">.....
to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
1Corinthians 10:7 Neither be ye idolaters,
.....as were some of them; as it is written,
.....The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.

Neither have they been able to read Romans 1 which defines this beyond-redemption music and polytheism.

Paizō 4. play on a musical instrument, h.Ap.206: c. acc., “Pan ho kalamo [flute]phthogga paizōn” Ar.Ra.230; dance and sing, Pi. O.1.16. 5. play amorously, “pros allēlous”

There is no recorded history (you can search) which does not include the mother (spirit, dove) as part of their trinity and the worship of the mother goddess (Rev 17-18) made sexual abnormality among the religious singers or instrument players.

"The triumphal hymn of Moses had unquestionably a religious character about it; but the employment of music in religious services, though idolatrous, is more distinctly marked in the festivities which attended the erection of the golden calf." (Smith's Bible Dictionary, Music, p. 589).

Pity that philosophers and artist could read and understand the Bible but people SELLING their body parts cannot. You can SELL yourself just be seeking a position of HONOR in a pseudo-Church.

1Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for EXAMPLES: and they are written for our ADMONITION, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Just watch it: Dave will spread hate for my telling you what PLAY means.
</font>

June 7th, 2015, 1:48 am #30

Perhaps you think we need to study pagan mythology as much as or even more than the New Testament Scriptures themselves just so we can avoid believing in the Trinity. That's putting a lot of emphasis on pagan mythology just to avoid one doctrinal topic. Moreover, you do seem to put quite a bit of emphasis on studying pagan mythology in general, as if being so thoroughly versed will help us become better Christians.

Of course, there are a few pagan deities found in the New Testament, but they are mentioned only superficially in passing:

Twin brothers Castor and Pollux -- Acts 28:11

Diana -- Acts 19:24,27,28,34,35

Jupiter -- Acts 14:12

Mercury -- Acts 14:12

Then there is the generic reference to the "unknown god" -- Acts 17:23

The New Testament mentions "idolatry" only four times: Acts 17:16; 1 Cor. 10:14; Gal. 5:20; and Col. 3:5.

There are a number of New Testament references outside the Gospels that basically warn us to have nothing to do with idols as such, but the specific mythology of pagan deities is not discussed in those verses. That Christians should have nothing to do with idols and pagan deities is a no-brainer.

I couldn't find anything in the Gospels where Jesus discusses the mythology of specific pagan deities. Evidently He thought that the message of the Gospel was much too important to mix with accounts of pagan mythology.

There is a slew of pagan deities found in the Old Testament. It's fine to study their mythology as a separate, academic pursuit of historical interest, but don't make the mistake of mixing them with Christianity.
This is beyond my energy level or interest but you missed someone:

Amos 5:26 But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.

Acts 7:43 Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon.

Here is a pretty good list,

http://jesusalive.cc/ques220.htm