Nancy
Nancy

November 27th, 2016, 9:00 pm #21

Today I am happy to report our song leader did a far better job. Surprisingly he did not lead any Christmas songs like the previous Sundays in November and there was no one to sing happy birthday to after the closing prayer so everything was Scriptural. He did not wear a suit nor a tie but only a sweater which is not dressing your best but other than that it was a great worship service. I feel better than I did yesterday about the church.

Dave
Dave

November 27th, 2016, 9:07 pm #22

I have it on good authority that God does not have a Juvenile court. Nor, contrary to David and HALAL, does he pay much attention to mad men trying to get off on an insanity plea.
Well, Ken Sublett, according to your own words, you.....are in big trouble. You do that which you tell others not to do. COURT IS IN SESSION.

November 27th, 2016, 10:29 pm #23

Today I am happy to report our song leader did a far better job. Surprisingly he did not lead any Christmas songs like the previous Sundays in November and there was no one to sing happy birthday to after the closing prayer so everything was Scriptural. He did not wear a suit nor a tie but only a sweater which is not dressing your best but other than that it was a great worship service. I feel better than I did yesterday about the church.
Hi Nancy,

I'm happy things returned to normal. I experienced the same, but it wasn't long before things started going off the rails again. This seems to be part of the methods that can be used to slowly slip in error. They call the method boiling the frogs...you heat water slowly, so the frogs don't jump out. Then before they know what's happening the water is boiling. Be sure to pay attention to every word that comes out of every mouth. I pray this is not occurring at your congregation. You can read more of what has happened in many of our church of Christ congregations at www.piney.com. Ken Sublett has collected many documents and his research at this site. He has an email that you can ask questions too. Should you wish to speak with me, he can give you my email.

You mentioned in another post that there was a meal after the assembly, and I admit I was closed minded about this practice too. People who live in rural areas generally don't have many options to eat out. Many of our congregations are 20 to 30 miles away from town and somewhere to eat. It seems to be a waste of the resources The Lord gave us to drive all over the county to eat a meal or even to drive back home, then be back for the evening assembly.

Dave
Dave

November 28th, 2016, 3:01 am #24

Well, Ken Sublett, according to your own words, you.....are in big trouble. You do that which you tell others not to do. COURT IS IN SESSION.
I thought Nancy was just being humorous, but she is being serious, isn't she?
No tie.....no Christmas songs......no birthday song after the closing prayer.

She isn't serious, is she?

November 28th, 2016, 4:01 am #25

There seems to be quite a bit of research on how we can be manipulated by our emotions. I found this on a political forum thread, and submit for those who are interested.

Release date: Jan. 24, 2006
Contact: Beverly Cox Clark at 404-712-8780 or beverly.clark@emory.edu
Emory Study Lights Up the Political Brain 

"When it comes to forming opinions and making judgments on hot political issues, partisans of both parties don't let facts get in the way of their decision-making, according to a new Emory University study. The research sheds light on why staunch Democrats and Republicans can hear the same information, but walk away with opposite conclusions.
The investigators used functional neuroimaging (fMRI) to study a sample of committed Democrats and Republicans during the three months prior to the U.S. Presidential election of 2004. The Democrats and Republicans were given a reasoning task in which they had to evaluate threatening information about their own candidate. During the task, the subjects underwent fMRI to see what parts of their brain were active. What the researchers found was striking. 
"We did not see any increased activation of the parts of the brain normally engaged during reasoning," says Drew Westen, director of clinical psychology at Emory who led the study. "What we saw instead was a network of emotion circuits lighting up, including circuits hypothesized to be involved in regulating emotion, and circuits known to be involved in resolving conflicts." Westen and his colleagues will present their findings at the Annual Conference of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Jan. 28. 
Once partisans had come to completely biased conclusions — essentially finding ways to ignore information that could not be rationally discounted — not only did circuits that mediate negative emotions like sadness and disgust turn off, but subjects got a blast of activation in circuits involved in reward — similar to what addicts receive when they get their fix, Westen explains.
"None of the circuits involved in conscious reasoning were particularly engaged," says Westen. "Essentially, it appears as if partisans twirl the cognitive kaleidoscope until they get the conclusions they want, and then they get massively reinforced for it, with the elimination of negative emotional states and activation of positive ones." 
During the study, the partisans were given 18 sets of stimuli, six each regarding President George W. Bush, his challenger, Senator John Kerry, and politically neutral male control figures such as actor Tom Hanks. For each set of stimuli, partisans first read a statement from the target (Bush or Kerry). The first statement was followed by a second statement that documented a clear contradiction between the target's words and deeds, generally suggesting that the candidate was dishonest or pandering. 
Next, partisans were asked to consider the discrepancy, and then to rate the extent to which the person's words and deeds were contradictory. Finally, they were presented with an exculpatory statement that might explain away the apparent contradiction, and asked to reconsider and again rate the extent to which the target's words and deeds were contradictory.
Behavioral data showed a pattern of emotionally biased reasoning: partisans denied obvious contradictions for their own candidate that they had no difficulty detecting in the opposing candidate. Importantly, in both their behavioral and neural responses, Republicans and Democrats did not differ in the way they responded to contradictions for the neutral control targets, such as Hanks, but Democrats responded to Kerry as Republicans responded to Bush. 
While reasoning about apparent contradictions for their own candidate, partisans showed activations throughout the orbital frontal cortex, indicating emotional processing and presumably emotion regulation strategies. There also were activations in areas of the brain associated with the experience of unpleasant emotions, the processing of emotion and conflict, and judgments of forgiveness and moral accountability. 
Notably absent were any increases in activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain most associated with reasoning (as well as conscious efforts to suppress emotion). The finding suggests that the emotion-driven processes that lead to biased judgments likely occur outside of awareness, and are distinct from normal reasoning processes when emotion is not so heavily engaged, says Westen. 
The investigators hypothesize that emotionally biased reasoning leads to the "stamping in" or reinforcement of a defensive belief, associating the participant's "revisionist" account of the data with positive emotion or relief and elimination of distress. "The result is that partisan beliefs are calcified, and the person can learn very little from new data," Westen says.
The study has potentially wide implications, from politics to business, and demonstrates that emotional bias can play a strong role in decision-making, Westen says. "Everyone from executives and judges to scientists and politicians may reason to emotionally biased judgments when they have a vested interest in how to interpret 'the facts,' " Westen says.
Coauthors of the study include Pavel Blagov and Stephan Hamann of the Emory Department of Psychology, and Keith Harenski and Clint Kilts of the Emory Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences."
Nancy, "leaders" presume the authority to connect secular events with the claim to assemble to give attention to God and His word. They should be aware that enough people are aware of pagan practices deliberately adopted that they will sow discord and offend a part of the congregation. That probably means that they neither have any grasp about the meaning of the Ruler of the Universe and treat Him like us.

Hos. 2:11 I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her new moons, and her sabbaths, and all her solemn feasts.

The generation that arose in the world, after the promulgation of Imperial laws, was ATTRACTED within the pale of the Catholic Church, and so RAPID, yet so GENTLE was the fall of Paganism, that only twenty-eight years after the death of Theodosius [the elder], the faint and minute vestiges were no longer visible to the eye of the legislator." Now, how can this great and rapid revolution be accounted for? Is it because the Word of the Lord has had free course and been glorified?

Then, what means the new aspect that the Roman Church has now begun to assume? In exact proportion as Paganism has disappeared from without the Church, in the very same proportion it appears within it.

Pagan dresses for the priests, Pagan festivals for the people, Pagan doctrines and ideas of all sorts, are everywhere in vogue.

The testimony of the same historian, who has spoken so decisively about the rapid conversion of the Romans to the profession of the Gospel, is not less decisive on this point. In his account of the Roman Church, under the head of "Introduction of Pagan Ceremonies," he thus speaks:

"As the objects of religion were gradually reduced to the standard of the imagination, the rites and ceremonies were introduced that seemed most powerfully to effect the senses of the vulgar.

If, in the beginning of the fifth century, Tertullian or Lactantius had been suddenly raised from the dead, to assist at the festival of some popular saint or martyr, they would have gazed with astonishment and indignation on the profane spectacle which had succeeded to the pure and spiritual worship of a Christian congregation.

As soon as the doors of the church were thrown open, they must have been offended by the smoke of incense, the perfume of flowers, and the glare of lamps and tapers, which diffused at noon-day a gaudy, superfluous, and, in their opinion, sacrilegious light." Gibbon has a great deal more to the same effect. Now, can any one believe that this was accidental? No. It was evidently the result of that unprincipled policy, of which, in the course of this inquiry, we have already seen such innumerable instances on the part of the Papacy. *

Gibbon distinctly admits this. "It must ingenuously be confessed," says he, "that the ministers of the Catholic Church imitated the profane model they were so impatient to destroy."

Using the closing prayer to CHOP OFF the memories we are supposed to take away from the assembly probably means that DOING the acts is what counts and not what new spiritual effect which are suddenly sidetracked.
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on November 28th, 2016, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Visitor (Rancor)
Visitor (Rancor)

November 28th, 2016, 1:47 pm #26

HO...HUM....HO...Hum...

Dave
Dave

November 28th, 2016, 2:14 pm #27

Hi Nancy,

I'm happy things returned to normal. I experienced the same, but it wasn't long before things started going off the rails again. This seems to be part of the methods that can be used to slowly slip in error. They call the method boiling the frogs...you heat water slowly, so the frogs don't jump out. Then before they know what's happening the water is boiling. Be sure to pay attention to every word that comes out of every mouth. I pray this is not occurring at your congregation. You can read more of what has happened in many of our church of Christ congregations at www.piney.com. Ken Sublett has collected many documents and his research at this site. He has an email that you can ask questions too. Should you wish to speak with me, he can give you my email.

You mentioned in another post that there was a meal after the assembly, and I admit I was closed minded about this practice too. People who live in rural areas generally don't have many options to eat out. Many of our congregations are 20 to 30 miles away from town and somewhere to eat. It seems to be a waste of the resources The Lord gave us to drive all over the county to eat a meal or even to drive back home, then be back for the evening assembly.
Dianne,
When you say that you are happy that things returned to normal, please tell me what is normal? Normal to a set of traditions that started several hundred years ago or normal for how the apostles worshiped, or how?

November 28th, 2016, 4:09 pm #28

There seems to be quite a bit of research on how we can be manipulated by our emotions. I found this on a political forum thread, and submit for those who are interested.

Release date: Jan. 24, 2006
Contact: Beverly Cox Clark at 404-712-8780 or beverly.clark@emory.edu
Emory Study Lights Up the Political Brain 

"When it comes to forming opinions and making judgments on hot political issues, partisans of both parties don't let facts get in the way of their decision-making, according to a new Emory University study. The research sheds light on why staunch Democrats and Republicans can hear the same information, but walk away with opposite conclusions.
The investigators used functional neuroimaging (fMRI) to study a sample of committed Democrats and Republicans during the three months prior to the U.S. Presidential election of 2004. The Democrats and Republicans were given a reasoning task in which they had to evaluate threatening information about their own candidate. During the task, the subjects underwent fMRI to see what parts of their brain were active. What the researchers found was striking. 
"We did not see any increased activation of the parts of the brain normally engaged during reasoning," says Drew Westen, director of clinical psychology at Emory who led the study. "What we saw instead was a network of emotion circuits lighting up, including circuits hypothesized to be involved in regulating emotion, and circuits known to be involved in resolving conflicts." Westen and his colleagues will present their findings at the Annual Conference of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Jan. 28. 
Once partisans had come to completely biased conclusions — essentially finding ways to ignore information that could not be rationally discounted — not only did circuits that mediate negative emotions like sadness and disgust turn off, but subjects got a blast of activation in circuits involved in reward — similar to what addicts receive when they get their fix, Westen explains.
"None of the circuits involved in conscious reasoning were particularly engaged," says Westen. "Essentially, it appears as if partisans twirl the cognitive kaleidoscope until they get the conclusions they want, and then they get massively reinforced for it, with the elimination of negative emotional states and activation of positive ones." 
During the study, the partisans were given 18 sets of stimuli, six each regarding President George W. Bush, his challenger, Senator John Kerry, and politically neutral male control figures such as actor Tom Hanks. For each set of stimuli, partisans first read a statement from the target (Bush or Kerry). The first statement was followed by a second statement that documented a clear contradiction between the target's words and deeds, generally suggesting that the candidate was dishonest or pandering. 
Next, partisans were asked to consider the discrepancy, and then to rate the extent to which the person's words and deeds were contradictory. Finally, they were presented with an exculpatory statement that might explain away the apparent contradiction, and asked to reconsider and again rate the extent to which the target's words and deeds were contradictory.
Behavioral data showed a pattern of emotionally biased reasoning: partisans denied obvious contradictions for their own candidate that they had no difficulty detecting in the opposing candidate. Importantly, in both their behavioral and neural responses, Republicans and Democrats did not differ in the way they responded to contradictions for the neutral control targets, such as Hanks, but Democrats responded to Kerry as Republicans responded to Bush. 
While reasoning about apparent contradictions for their own candidate, partisans showed activations throughout the orbital frontal cortex, indicating emotional processing and presumably emotion regulation strategies. There also were activations in areas of the brain associated with the experience of unpleasant emotions, the processing of emotion and conflict, and judgments of forgiveness and moral accountability. 
Notably absent were any increases in activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain most associated with reasoning (as well as conscious efforts to suppress emotion). The finding suggests that the emotion-driven processes that lead to biased judgments likely occur outside of awareness, and are distinct from normal reasoning processes when emotion is not so heavily engaged, says Westen. 
The investigators hypothesize that emotionally biased reasoning leads to the "stamping in" or reinforcement of a defensive belief, associating the participant's "revisionist" account of the data with positive emotion or relief and elimination of distress. "The result is that partisan beliefs are calcified, and the person can learn very little from new data," Westen says.
The study has potentially wide implications, from politics to business, and demonstrates that emotional bias can play a strong role in decision-making, Westen says. "Everyone from executives and judges to scientists and politicians may reason to emotionally biased judgments when they have a vested interest in how to interpret 'the facts,' " Westen says.
Coauthors of the study include Pavel Blagov and Stephan Hamann of the Emory Department of Psychology, and Keith Harenski and Clint Kilts of the Emory Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences."
We have discussed Messianic Judaism several times and LU and my "Investment advisers" David Young and North Boulevard Elders promoting of a radical Change. At the prophesied time, year 2000, and the Pope's and New Wineskins Baptizing Santa earlier, the radical invasion of Worship Teams and Instruments may mark the dredging up of Apollon and His Muses (Locusts and Prostitutes) In Egypt, Mount Sinai and to which God ABANDONED the Jews to WORSHIP THE STARRY HOST.

The New Wineskins c. 1992 published Christmas at Matthew's House

Though we’re still quite surprised by Matthew’s covert statement “she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit,” Matthew has set us up for it. It’s a sort of “Here we go again, folks….” Another sexually questionable woman. And what about Joseph’s faith in the face of Mary’s story? For it was he, who after a single dream, went ahead and married her. A dream that was real, yes, but still a dream. Could it have been a message from God? Or, could it have been his won imagination, wanting to believe her so much that his subconscious produced a nocturnal justification for marrying her, even in the face of such an outlandish excuse? But there’s Joseph, crawling into bed with her every night the rest of his life, relying on a dream, believing in her word, that she really hadn’t slept with another man and used him to cover her shame. If we’ve paid attention to the women of Matthew’s genalogy we’re not entirely surprised by Mary’s (Joseph’s?!) predicament. If God used those of the Messiah’s family tree thus, why woudn’t the Messiah himself come from a similar situation?

The Nashville New Wineskins Jubilee responded to the Pope's LAST JUBILEE in they hear 2000. That was the SET TIME when Madison was CAUGHT WITH IT'S RANTS DOWN before it was ready to EXPOSE itself

http://www.piney.com/WinRSSunSanta.html

Dave
Dave

November 28th, 2016, 6:45 pm #29

I thought Nancy was just being humorous, but she is being serious, isn't she?
No tie.....no Christmas songs......no birthday song after the closing prayer.

She isn't serious, is she?
Was hoping that this deal/attitude about how one dresses and the objections for Christmas songs was a thing of the past.
Hope springs eternal.

November 28th, 2016, 7:14 pm #30

We have discussed Messianic Judaism several times and LU and my "Investment advisers" David Young and North Boulevard Elders promoting of a radical Change. At the prophesied time, year 2000, and the Pope's and New Wineskins Baptizing Santa earlier, the radical invasion of Worship Teams and Instruments may mark the dredging up of Apollon and His Muses (Locusts and Prostitutes) In Egypt, Mount Sinai and to which God ABANDONED the Jews to WORSHIP THE STARRY HOST.

The New Wineskins c. 1992 published Christmas at Matthew's House

Though we’re still quite surprised by Matthew’s covert statement “she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit,” Matthew has set us up for it. It’s a sort of “Here we go again, folks….” Another sexually questionable woman. And what about Joseph’s faith in the face of Mary’s story? For it was he, who after a single dream, went ahead and married her. A dream that was real, yes, but still a dream. Could it have been a message from God? Or, could it have been his won imagination, wanting to believe her so much that his subconscious produced a nocturnal justification for marrying her, even in the face of such an outlandish excuse? But there’s Joseph, crawling into bed with her every night the rest of his life, relying on a dream, believing in her word, that she really hadn’t slept with another man and used him to cover her shame. If we’ve paid attention to the women of Matthew’s genalogy we’re not entirely surprised by Mary’s (Joseph’s?!) predicament. If God used those of the Messiah’s family tree thus, why woudn’t the Messiah himself come from a similar situation?

The Nashville New Wineskins Jubilee responded to the Pope's LAST JUBILEE in they hear 2000. That was the SET TIME when Madison was CAUGHT WITH IT'S RANTS DOWN before it was ready to EXPOSE itself

http://www.piney.com/WinRSSunSanta.html

I went back and reread Nancy's post, and want to correct my response. From your post, it would seem this is not done but once a month, and is a new practice. If the practice is done for convenience every week then that is different from once a month. It is a little strange that it is new, and only done once a month. We should all understand that the kingdom is not about food and drink.

Romans 14:17-21 (KJV)
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. [18] For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. [19] Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. [20] For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. [21] It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.