Church Singing

Church Singing

Rocky
Rocky

December 20th, 2015, 12:33 pm #1

Is singing authorized in the Church Of Christ?

December 20th, 2015, 4:51 pm #2

As far as I know SINGING is DEMANDED as a legal ACT OF WORSHIP in all SOF churches.

That is NOT the PURPOSE DRIVING this forum. There is nothing done even if by 100% of church members that can alter one jot or tittle of the Holy Scriptures--Prophets and Apostles. So since this is the DAY OF WORSHIP replacing the day of REST and SKHOLE, maybe we will be unique in the world and not use any assembly as authority. You should be allowed to use the churches in the New Testament as as example.

All churches that I am aware of insist that:

The LAW of Moses God commanded "worship" with singing and playing instruments. [that's a lie for now]
We live under a NEW LAW.
.....Group singing is commanded by The LAW OF CHRIST.
.....Playing instruments for "congregational singing" is NOT commanded.
.....Therefore, we MUST sing or violate the law of Christ and we must NOT add instrumental accompaniment because it is NOT in the NEW LAW.

Rocky
Rocky

December 20th, 2015, 5:29 pm #3

Ken, are you a member of the church of Christ?

December 20th, 2015, 5:57 pm #4

Yes: I was baptized in an Alabama creek about 73 years ago: I began teaching when I was about 16, have been a deacon, elder and teacher in the most conservative and most liberal congregations. I have had three congregations "transistioned" away to instruments or wannabee instrumental.

However, I became a Disciple of Christ about 1980 and got into my first trouble in returning to TN when I questioned H. Leo Boles the Lipscomb INVENTOR of the "three real persons-people trinity" in 1938.

The Law of Singing (G.C.Brewer who added the shot glasses) means whatever you want to sing as long as you DO IT. This gave the instrumentalists their authority to add their own law of playing instruments c 1878. They affirmed that there is no LAW OF SINGING in the Bible as "worship." Paul commanded the word SPEAK which is opposite to ODE and PSALLO.

The Church of Christ [the Rock] was defined inclusively and exclusively in the wilderness and EXCLUDED vocal or instrumental rejoicing or any human-added speaking. Jesus preached the Gospel of the Kingdom which Gave Him as Son the role as the only Father or Master Teacher.

To be A Church of Christ as CHRISTIAN teaching what He commanded to be taught you will be able to find an example of congregational singing: that is the DISTINCTIVE MARK of a New Testament Church.

Rocky
Rocky

December 21st, 2015, 1:29 am #5

I expected as much. Ken you are the master of confusion. You are ambiguous and deceptive in your writing. Donnie is a mere apprentice compared to you. I knew it would be like this. Have a good night.

December 21st, 2015, 2:01 am #6

Maybe Donnie can translate for you?

Find a command, example or remote inference of any group assembled on the REST day for Congregational singing with or without instruments as worship.

Extend that to an example until long after the Reformation. There is not a single false teacher on the "music" issue who will "give an answer" since they can fool most of the people most of the time. The rare exception are those who try to make everyone believe that you are wacko.

Is that deceptive?
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on December 21st, 2015, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2015, 3:09 am #7

December 21st, 2015, 5:15 am #8

Maybe Donnie can translate for you?

Find a command, example or remote inference of any group assembled on the REST day for Congregational singing with or without instruments as worship.

Extend that to an example until long after the Reformation. There is not a single false teacher on the "music" issue who will "give an answer" since they can fool most of the people most of the time. The rare exception are those who try to make everyone believe that you are wacko.

Is that deceptive?
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]The question (as stated above) to find:

(1) a command or
(2) an example or
(3) a necessary inference [an implication]

of a group of [New Testament] Christians assembled on Sunday for congregational singing with or without instruments as WORSHIP
[/color]

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]... is simple. It needs no translation if parsed properly.

I can offer a few hints:

(1) How many times do we find the word "worship" in conjunction with the "congregation" in the New Testament?
(2) How many times do we find the word "congregation," or "assembly" or "gathering" in the New Testament and their activities as "worship"?
(3) What about Acts 20:7-9 and "on the first day of the week" -- Paul preached; the disciples assembled to break bread?
(4) Would you consider the activity in Matt. 26:30 or Mark 14:26 [D-RB, KJV] congregational singing?
(5) Would you consider the activity in Acts 16:25 (Paul and Silas) congregational singing?
(6) If there's no command, example or implication of congregational singing in the N.T., can we at least know and learn the history of congregational singing?[/color]

December 21st, 2015, 5:47 am #9

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There are 3 expressions in the original question posed that need qualification. (O.K., "with instrumental music" is excluded from the question for now.) Our varying definitions of these expressions may be the reason for misunderstanding each other's explanation, plus lack of scriptural support.

Here are the variables:

1. Singing: (solo? duet? trio? quartet? choir? praise/worship team? congregational singing?)
2. Authorized: (allowed? commanded? en-sampled? necessarily implied? directed? silence-of-Scripture?)
3. In the "Church of Christ": (the N.T. church of Christ? the "Church of Christ" transformed into a denominational church by the progressive/liberal change agents?
[/color]

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]More importantly, scriptural support/reference.

An example of a better-qualified, more-specific question: Is the "Praise/Worship Team" singing to/for the congregation what God expects when the saints assemble to break bread and study God's word?[/color]

Rocky
Rocky

December 21st, 2015, 4:49 pm #10

All passages mentioned in the New Testament having to do with Christian worship authorize singing (Acts 16:25; Romans 15:9, 1 Corinthians 14:15, Ephesians 5:18-19; Colossians 3:16-17; Hebrews 2:12; James 5:13).

~2,000,000 CoC are on board with singing. Ken, I think your count is about 1.5 people (no singing) that agree with you.