CHRIST'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SALVATION

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

January 2nd, 2010, 4:04 am #11

Denominationalists will say, "Jesus requires nothing from us for salvation," or they may say, "All we need to do is just believe/have faith, nothing more," or even, "Just trust in Christ's sacrifice alone; don't bother obeying Christ's commandments." Either these people really don't know that Christ has issued specific requirements for salvation, or their denominational traditions compel these people to deny Christ's requirements for salvation. Here are Christ's requirements for salvation with example references from the KJV:

1. HEAR THE GOSPEL
"And the gospel must first be published among all nations" (Mark 13:10).

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Rom. 10:14).

2. FAITH.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:31).

Faith is certainly a highly important requirement for salvation, but it is by no means the only requirement. Without faith, we cannot comply with Christ's other requirements.

3. REPENTANCE.
"I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3).

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord" (Acts 3:19).

4. CONFESS JESUS BEFORE MEN.
"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 10:32-33).

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" (Rom 10:9-10).

5. BE BAPTIZED.
"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned" (Mark 16:16).

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38).

"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

"The like figure whereunto [even] baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 3:21).

6. LIVE A CHRISTIAN LIFE IN OBEDIENCE UNTO CHRIST.
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 7:21).

"If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15).

"And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power" (2 Thess. 1:7-9).

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him" (Heb. 5:8-9).

The first five requirements deal with the conversion process. A person cannot be saved until he is converted to Christianity and obeys the Gospel. After obeying the Gospel, a Christian must continue to obey the teachings of Christ for the rest of his life. Therefore, the sixth requirement comprises everything else that Christ commanded explicitly and through His apostles (for example, observing the Lord's Supper, helping the needy, visiting the sick, love thy neighbor, doing good for mankind, assembling together for worship, etc.). Collectively, all six are required for salvation. Of course, Christ knows if man's compliance is done faithfully and willingly or just for show.

Therefore, Christ requires that we hear the Gospel, followed by faith, repentance, confession, baptism, and a life of obedience from us before He will grant salvation unto us. Those people in rebellion will argue that since these requirements are not conveniently provided together in one spot in the New Testament, they are not valid. But even if they were listed together, the rebels would then brand that a "legalistic list" and thumb their noses at it. Rebels will also argue that obeying Christ equates to personal works, that obedience "robs" Christ of His sacrifice, that physical water can't "save" anyone, or a hundred other man-made excuses for circumventing what Christ commands. The fact remains, however, that Christ has issued certain requirements for salvation, either directly or through the apostolic epistles, and it is up to us to decide whether we"ll submit gladly and willingly, obey Him, and have the promise of salvation; or not submit, disobey Him, and have the promise of damnation.

You will remember that the Disciples invented the word PSALLO to try to justify their deliberate discord to get the Churches of Christ to join with them and to keep their "disciples" called the Christian Church from being split over forcing the organ into congregations.

I affirm that no one has gone beyond a simple lexicon (for the simple) to find that PSALLO has been used to mean TWANG a string. For that folly, both wings of the bird have forfeited their right to ride on the backs of widows (tandem or more) and honest working people and promote the MUSIC with or the MUSIC without machines.

The PSALLO word has been chased down and captured and guess what: the MARK of the PERSONA is still absolute. The word speaks of making war by shooting literal arrows or making love by shooting love arrows enabled by plucking the lyre. Both point to Apollo who is your comon grade Abaddon or Apollyon in Revelation and his LOCUSTS, to the literate, are his dirty, smelly muses as common grade adulteresses.

I have put my last few days into Ronnie Norman's Review at First Colony. How can we know: is it terminal ignorance or terminal evil. In any case, the MARK is that making music will guarantee you a place on the barbecue rack since Christ in Isaiah 30 says that HELL was created for those NOT FIT for water baptism so they will be baptized with WIND and FIRE.

http://www.piney.com/First.Colony.Norman.html

I will be cleaning it up as time goes by--or not.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 2nd, 2010, 6:37 am #12

Bill, because of [...], I overlooked the first time that you posted my name without my permission or participation. However, now that it has happened again, I would request that you observe normal internet rules and not post my name again without my permission. I realize that this is much like posting a correction to spelling or grammar, however, I figure that you would appreciate learning basic internet rules of behavior. I am sorry that I have needed to correct you yet again.

(Donnie, I would request that you edit Bill's posts above to remove my name from the thread. Thanks!)
Tom, I do apologize for mentioning your name without your permission. Very well, henceforth, I also ask you to reciprocate in kind. Everything must be fair, as I'm sure you would agree. Let's not turn this board into another FaithSite. There was far too much insulting, smearing, slandering, and character assassinations on all sides at that site. That was because FaithSite was not moderated. Maybe I should post my essay that discusses the difference between reviling someone and correcting doctrinal error.

Your Ole Pal
Your Ole Pal

January 2nd, 2010, 4:16 pm #13

You will remember that the Disciples invented the word PSALLO to try to justify their deliberate discord to get the Churches of Christ to join with them and to keep their "disciples" called the Christian Church from being split over forcing the organ into congregations.

I affirm that no one has gone beyond a simple lexicon (for the simple) to find that PSALLO has been used to mean TWANG a string. For that folly, both wings of the bird have forfeited their right to ride on the backs of widows (tandem or more) and honest working people and promote the MUSIC with or the MUSIC without machines.

The PSALLO word has been chased down and captured and guess what: the MARK of the PERSONA is still absolute. The word speaks of making war by shooting literal arrows or making love by shooting love arrows enabled by plucking the lyre. Both point to Apollo who is your comon grade Abaddon or Apollyon in Revelation and his LOCUSTS, to the literate, are his dirty, smelly muses as common grade adulteresses.

I have put my last few days into Ronnie Norman's Review at First Colony. How can we know: is it terminal ignorance or terminal evil. In any case, the MARK is that making music will guarantee you a place on the barbecue rack since Christ in Isaiah 30 says that HELL was created for those NOT FIT for water baptism so they will be baptized with WIND and FIRE.

I forgive you too Ken Sublett, and I love you. Hey man, when are you going to let me see the great Hohenwald fortress? Might have some time in the next few weeks. You could invite William over and we could have tea.

Joe McKnight, how is Madison these days? Still infiltrated with those nasty change agents? They're everywhere!!!

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 2nd, 2010, 4:27 pm #14

Bill, because of [...], I overlooked the first time that you posted my name without my permission or participation. However, now that it has happened again, I would request that you observe normal internet rules and not post my name again without my permission. I realize that this is much like posting a correction to spelling or grammar, however, I figure that you would appreciate learning basic internet rules of behavior. I am sorry that I have needed to correct you yet again.

(Donnie, I would request that you edit Bill's posts above to remove my name from the thread. Thanks!)
And at my request, Donnie also edited Tom's post to remove a slanderous remark about me. Thanks, Donnie.

Your Ole Pal
Your Ole Pal

January 2nd, 2010, 6:15 pm #15

Hope you get them there change agents. If they use a song from the last 20 years--get rid of them. If they talk about using praise teams--get rid of them. Round em up boys. If they have a Christmas tree, even in the fellowship hall--get rid of them. If they use any version other than the KJV--set those brethren up for public ridicule. If they disagree with you in ANY way--have none of that and pull their membership from them.
Does it seem that my sarcasm is a bit overboard?
Hope so.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

January 2nd, 2010, 9:03 pm #16

I love you William Crump. I love you too Joe. I forgive you both. Jesus says to forgive and forgive. If He says to, then it is good enough for me.
Does an old thread at FaithSite titled "The Narcissist" ring a bell with "old pal"? That thread was explicitly created to smear someone. I think "ole pal" would agree that the one who was smeared in that thread should forgive the mean-spirited person who created that thread. That would be the Christian thing to do, right, "old pal"? And "ole pal" did tell us, "Jesus says to forgive and forgive. If He says to, then it is good enough for me." Very well, I am quite sure that the person who created "The Narcissist" thread was forgiven long ago.

After all, to forgive those who wrong us is just one part of Christ's sixth requirement for salvation: obey Christ's teachings for the rest of our lives. And Christ taught us to forgive.

January 4th, 2010, 4:55 am #17

Hope you get them there change agents. If they use a song from the last 20 years--get rid of them. If they talk about using praise teams--get rid of them. Round em up boys. If they have a Christmas tree, even in the fellowship hall--get rid of them. If they use any version other than the KJV--set those brethren up for public ridicule. If they disagree with you in ANY way--have none of that and pull their membership from them.
Does it seem that my sarcasm is a bit overboard?
Hope so.
Ole Pal thinks it's all and only about the rah-rah praise songs and the rah-rah "Praise Team" [a.k.a. "contemporary church of Christ CHOIR]. How shallow of an understanding of what change agents [a.k.a. "transformers (or robots) in disguise"] are doing in the brotherhood!!!

Maybe, they're everywhere. But, again, maybe, more and more in churches recognize their presence and their evil deeds.

So [while there's a separate thread dealing with the "varieties of change agents"], how would Ole Pal categorize the change agents he is associated with? Any or some of the following?

<ol>[*]The architects and designers of the Change Movement [from ACU, Pepperdine, DLU]?
</li>[*]The traveling salesmen of change in workshops, retreats and campus programs?
</li>[*]"Pastors" [who love being addressed as "Pastor Sumone"] in your own church?
</li>[*]Those who show-case and demonstrate the change agenda of Rick Warren and the Community Church Movement?
</li>[*]"Like wolves" in vulnerable congregations like yours?
</li>[*]Deceiving change agents being with those easily deceived?
</li>[*]Those who want to change the entire brotherhood?
</li>[*]Those who abuse the Restoration Movement principles and desire to be affiliated with the Christian Church?
</li>[*]Some or a combination of the above?

</li>[/list]Or, are "change agents" change agents, regardless of where they may be?

Your Ole Pal
Your Ole Pal

January 4th, 2010, 4:03 pm #18

In response, Donnie, I thought that I would copy and paste your remarks and answer from J. Waddey's post of 'Varieties of Change Agents.' You copied in part (9 categories), brought/pasted it here to this present post of William's. I just copied it in it's entirety. Why leave any of it out? If this is your idea of a truthful response, then good luck with your continued charades here at concerned members.

Donnie Cruz--"If "change agents" have already/just arrived at your congregation [where "changes" in the doctrine and teachings and practices of the church are now being noticed], what category best describes these change agents?

(1) The architects and designers of the Change Movement [from ACU, Pepperdine, DLU]?
(2) The traveling salesmen of change in workshops, retreats and campus programs?
(3) "Pastors" [who love being addressed as "Pastor Sumone"] in your own church?
(4) Those who show-case and demonstrate the change agenda of Rick Warren and the Community Church Movement?
(5) "Like wolves" in vulnerable congregations like yours?
(6) Deceiving change agents being with those easily deceived?
(7) Those who want to change the entire brotherhood?
(8) Those who abuse the Restoration Movement principles and desire to be affiliated with the Christian Church?
(9) Some or a combination of the above?

Beware!!! To congregations unaware of what's happening: "The Change Agents Are Coming! The Change Agents Are Coming!""

Your Ole Pal
Your Ole Pal

January 6th, 2010, 3:20 pm #19

Noticed your legal definitive post (not highlighted or bold or in color or capitalized) towards the bottom of the page....

"This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!"

Ha! You got that right Donnie Cruz!!!

Sly like foxes, you boys are!!!

Ken Sublett
Ken Sublett

January 7th, 2010, 12:35 am #20

Denominationalists will say, "Jesus requires nothing from us for salvation," or they may say, "All we need to do is just believe/have faith, nothing more," or even, "Just trust in Christ's sacrifice alone; don't bother obeying Christ's commandments." Either these people really don't know that Christ has issued specific requirements for salvation, or their denominational traditions compel these people to deny Christ's requirements for salvation. Here are Christ's requirements for salvation with example references from the KJV:

1. HEAR THE GOSPEL
"And the gospel must first be published among all nations" (Mark 13:10).

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Rom. 10:14).

2. FAITH.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:31).

Faith is certainly a highly important requirement for salvation, but it is by no means the only requirement. Without faith, we cannot comply with Christ's other requirements.

3. REPENTANCE.
"I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3).

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord" (Acts 3:19).

4. CONFESS JESUS BEFORE MEN.
"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 10:32-33).

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" (Rom 10:9-10).

5. BE BAPTIZED.
"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned" (Mark 16:16).

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38).

"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

"The like figure whereunto [even] baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 3:21).

6. LIVE A CHRISTIAN LIFE IN OBEDIENCE UNTO CHRIST.
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 7:21).

"If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15).

"And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power" (2 Thess. 1:7-9).

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him" (Heb. 5:8-9).

The first five requirements deal with the conversion process. A person cannot be saved until he is converted to Christianity and obeys the Gospel. After obeying the Gospel, a Christian must continue to obey the teachings of Christ for the rest of his life. Therefore, the sixth requirement comprises everything else that Christ commanded explicitly and through His apostles (for example, observing the Lord's Supper, helping the needy, visiting the sick, love thy neighbor, doing good for mankind, assembling together for worship, etc.). Collectively, all six are required for salvation. Of course, Christ knows if man's compliance is done faithfully and willingly or just for show.

Therefore, Christ requires that we hear the Gospel, followed by faith, repentance, confession, baptism, and a life of obedience from us before He will grant salvation unto us. Those people in rebellion will argue that since these requirements are not conveniently provided together in one spot in the New Testament, they are not valid. But even if they were listed together, the rebels would then brand that a "legalistic list" and thumb their noses at it. Rebels will also argue that obeying Christ equates to personal works, that obedience "robs" Christ of His sacrifice, that physical water can't "save" anyone, or a hundred other man-made excuses for circumventing what Christ commands. The fact remains, however, that Christ has issued certain requirements for salvation, either directly or through the apostolic epistles, and it is up to us to decide whether we"ll submit gladly and willingly, obey Him, and have the promise of salvation; or not submit, disobey Him, and have the promise of damnation.

My lust for a Yemenite shofar has been fulfilled: it just "blew" in a few hours ago.
Already I can blow the last TRUMP pretty easily. Here is a picture pretty close to mine.

Be advised that a wind instrument works by BLOWING BACK: you may have to eat a few pieces of Ibex horn in the process. Mine is half polished so pretty natural.

That's your INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC: the only NOISE makers permitted by God to send SURE SIGNALS.