CAUTION: THIS WEB SITE IS NOT PART OF OR APPROVED BY THE MADISON CHURCH OF CHRIST

ConcernedMembers
ConcernedMembers

October 17th, 2002, 4:54 am #1

==================================================
.......Madison Church Of Christ ConcernedMembers Forum.......

This forum has been established to give members of the Madison Church Of Christ a means to openly discuss matters concerning their views on the format of worship services. This web site is not part of or approved by the Madison Church of Christ.

By definition, a forum is “a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas” or “a program involving discussion of a problem.” In the worldwide web technology, forums of various types and formats have been established. For example, there may be “freedom” forums dedicated to free press or free speech. There may be “religious” forums that deal with controversial doctrinal, spiritual, moral and ethical issues.

In the last decade or two, we have been hearing references to the purpose-driven church or to the church growth movement alongside hostile takeovers, subversions and division being experienced by thousands of churches. In regard to worship and other church activities, we hear about the “holy entertainment,” contemporary worship style, “unity” in diversity, secret oaths and covenants; the roles of the music leader, worship leader, praise leader, praise teams, special servants, deaconesses, leaderettes, etc. We hear about the Community Church Movement and the Charismatic Movement. We hear about the Saddleback Community Church and the Willow Creek Community Church as “church growth” models because of their memberships being in the thousands.

The church of Christ in Madison, Tennessee, has gone through some gradual metamorphic process in more than a decade in order to combat the decline in membership. But in the process, there have been major issues and differences unsettled and unresolved. The church’s mission has been growth with the community service appeal. But it has incorporated beliefs and practices, which are strikingly different from those of the earlier generations, youth-oriented, with popular acceptance, with secular inclinations, and lacking in scriptural justification. Hundreds of its members have left to seek fellowship somewhere else. What has really been happening at Madison that should serve as a warning to other congregations in the brotherhood?

The ConcernedMembers Forum has much to offer to both sides of the aisle. It makes a serious attempt to present the truth as revealed in the Holy Scripture. It strives to preserve scriptural beliefs and practices and principles that the churches of Christ have maintained for so long. It has great respect for the Restoration Movement and its leaders. In spite of all that, this forum is open for anyone to present both facts and debatable issues. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the reader to discern for himself or herself what is factual and what is not factual.

The ConcernedMembers Forum is simply an open forum. The reader must be warned that the messages on this site come from its own contributors, as well as from those that respond to discuss, rebut and refute doctrinal issues and practices. ConcernedMembers is NOT THE WEBSITE OF THE MADISON CHURCH OF CHRIST, nor does it represent this church’s views. Therefore, as a forum, it is open to challenge. The reader is encouraged to rectify any unintended misrepresentations of facts, figures, scriptural references and other information that is common or public knowledge, by RESPONDING to the message as provided.

Jack
Jack

October 17th, 2002, 10:23 pm #2

Dear Sir/Sirs/etc.

Why do many of the posts have:

“This message has been edited by madisonchurchofchrist from IP address 65.80.190.188 on Oct 9, 2002 9:47 AM”

like the post from Adele Patterson?

Does this mean that someone from Madison church of Christ edited this message? If not, is this not misleading?

Would it be better if your disclaimer was 1st and larger on each page concerning Madison?

Would it be better if the editor used a different signature?

Jack

===============================
Message from the moderator

JACK;

Thank you for your comment. They are points well taken.

When a moderator signs into a forum it's usually with the forum name. This forum is called "Madison Church of Christ ConcernedMembers Forum" That name is then left by the program whenever a moderator edits a post.

The name your refering to "madisonchurchofchrist" is a truncated version of the whole forum name.

The "madison" forum name is not being used any longer by moderators.

It was never used as an attempt to deceive, or for gain.

Whenever a moderator "edits" a post it is not to change anything the post has said. It's usually to hyperlink a URL address the poster has left, or leave a message like this one.

Thank You

Last edited by ConcernedMembers on October 18th, 2002, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 18th, 2002, 4:56 am #3

When I approve messages on the Hillcrest thread, I sometimes edit them for obvious spelling errors or typos, but I never change the meaning of the post or make deletions. I believe everyone can draw their own conclusions from any post whether "way out there" or "on target".

I've seen several comments about the "edited by madisonchurchofchrist IP address", etc., lately. I'm wondering why someone would bring this up especially when they are the ones that made the original post. Can they not tell what was changed in their own post? Or is this another way to divert? I've been posting here since January and I don't really notice the "edited by" at the bottom. Why has this become a concern now? I wonder.

Prayerfully Onward,

Kevin

Jack
Jack

October 18th, 2002, 2:23 pm #4

Kevin,

I have been reading posts on this site for some time now. Until the message showed up this week that warned about the site having nothing to do with Madison, I believed that posts which said “edited by madisonchurchofchrist from IP address 65.80.190.188” were in fact edited by someone affiliated with Madison church of Christ. The moderator/owner of the forum has clearly stated that this is not true. He/she/they have made it clear in response to me that they will no longer use that form of identification when editing posts. Apparently they have determined that there may be misleading, even libelous action on their part. I am grateful for their decision to make the change.

The concern may be from those who are readers not posters. They would never know that the situation was misleading unless revealed.

Why did you even make the comment considering their explanation to me?

Jack

October 18th, 2002, 6:02 pm #5

I simply commented because a question was asked.

_A-Won
_A-Won

September 5th, 2013, 6:52 pm #6

I'm thinking it is a good ideal to post this message title and header to eliminate any confusion that may come this way.

September 6th, 2013, 6:28 am #7

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]A-Won,

How quickly did you find this thread? ... some 11 years later?

What's confusing between the church's name and the name of the forum provided for that church's "concerned members"?

I'm somewhat confused in that you seemed to agree that you're "not confused any more."

Maybe, we need your idea illustrated?[/color]

_A-Won
_A-Won

September 6th, 2013, 2:30 pm #8

I hope we ALL make a RIGHT turn.

_A-Won
_A-Won

September 6th, 2013, 2:54 pm #9

.......Madison Church Of Christ ConcernedMembers Forum.......

This forum has been established to give members of the Madison Church Of Christ a means to openly discuss matters concerning their views on the format of worship services. This web site is not part of or approved by the Madison Church of Christ.

By definition, a forum is “a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas” or “a program involving discussion of a problem.” In the worldwide web technology, forums of various types and formats have been established. For example, there may be “freedom” forums dedicated to free press or free speech. There may be “religious” forums that deal with controversial doctrinal, spiritual, moral and ethical issues.

In the last decade or two, we have been hearing references to the purpose-driven church or to the church growth movement alongside hostile takeovers, subversions and division being experienced by thousands of churches. In regard to worship and other church activities, we hear about the “holy entertainment,” contemporary worship style, “unity” in diversity, secret oaths and covenants; the roles of the music leader, worship leader, praise leader, praise teams, special servants, deaconesses, leaderettes, etc. We hear about the Community Church Movement and the Charismatic Movement. We hear about the Saddleback Community Church and the Willow Creek Community Church as “church growth” models because of their memberships being in the thousands.

The church of Christ in Madison, Tennessee, has gone through some gradual metamorphic process in more than a decade in order to combat the decline in membership. But in the process, there have been major issues and differences unsettled and unresolved. The church’s mission has been growth with the community service appeal. But it has incorporated beliefs and practices, which are strikingly different from those of the earlier generations, youth-oriented, with popular acceptance, with secular inclinations, and lacking in scriptural justification. Hundreds of its members have left to seek fellowship somewhere else. What has really been happening at Madison that should serve as a warning to other congregations in the brotherhood?

The ConcernedMembers Forum has much to offer to both sides of the aisle. It makes a serious attempt to present the truth as revealed in the Holy Scripture. It strives to preserve scriptural beliefs and practices and principles that the churches of Christ have maintained for so long. It has great respect for the Restoration Movement and its leaders. In spite of all that, this forum is open for anyone to present both facts and debatable issues. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the reader to discern for himself or herself what is factual and what is not factual.

The ConcernedMembers Forum is simply an open forum. The reader must be warned that the messages on this site come from its own contributors, as well as from those that respond to discuss, rebut and refute doctrinal issues and practices. ConcernedMembers is NOT THE WEBSITE OF THE MADISON CHURCH OF CHRIST, nor does it represent this church’s views. Therefore, as a forum, it is open to challenge. The reader is encouraged to rectify any unintended misrepresentations of facts, figures, scriptural references and other information that is common or public knowledge, by RESPONDING to the message as provided.
"CAUTION: THIS WEB SITE IS NOT PART OF OR APPROVED BY THE MADISON CHURCH OF CHRIST"

You have to ask yourself, would this web site be approved by any church of Christ?

September 7th, 2013, 4:35 am #10

I hope we ALL make a RIGHT turn.
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Thanks for the illustration.

The Roman [not American?] Catholics may be looking for another turn to get somewhere -- where's purgatory?[/color]
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/purgatory

[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]Purgatory[/color]

[color=#000000" size="3" face="times]The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in Gods grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031).

The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27) and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven. [/color]

[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]Two Judgments

When we die, we undergo what is called the particular, or individual, judgment. Scripture says that "as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment" (Heb. 9:27, Douay-Rheims 1899). We are judged instantly and receive our reward, for good or ill. We know at once what our final destiny example, in Matthew 25:31-32 [DRB]: "And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty. And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats:" In this general judgment all our sins will be publicly revealed (Luke 12:25).

Augustine said, in The City of God, that "temporary punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by others after death, by others both now and then; but all of them before that last and strictest judgment" (21:13). It is between the particular and general judgments, then, that the soul is purified of the remaining consequences of sin: "I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper" (Luke 12:59).
[/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Doesn't this remind you of the question, "Where do you find Trinity in the Bible?" "Well, the word 'Trinity' is not in the Bible, but neither is the word 'Bible' in the Bible; it can be explained," says who...?[/color]