Brent Whitworth, Where Are You Now?

January 23rd, 2012, 2:19 am #1

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Nick Boone (brother of Pat Boone) "resigned" from song leading at Madison because he was just not the right person with the contemporary youth.

Keith Lancaster from Acappella Ministries was then employed by Madison as its "Worship Leader." He was responsible for implementing Madison's controversial "Choir" group, a.k.a. "Praise Team." Controversial -- in that, among others, it played a major part in the division not only among elders but also in the membership. In 2001, attendance at Madison dwindled down to half its size of 3,000 members from only a few years prior. Keith was there to witness the events. Did he feel responsible, at least partly, for the division? What do you think? [It appears not ... as he remained in the next few years.]

In December, 2003, he was to begin his sabbatical in the next several months. In July, 2004, he returned from that sabbatical.

In Noverber 2004, Phil Barnes was employed as Senior Minister at Madison.

In January 2007, Keith Lancaster "resigned." In that same year, here's the message from the Farragut congregation: "We are very blessed to have Keith as our new Worship Minister at Farragut. His experience and enthusiasm, along with his spirit of humility, make him a great addition to this congregation." (FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2007)

July, 2007

"Madison welcomes new Worship Leader Brent Whitworth" -- From the Marcher: "Brent Whitworth, Madisons new Worship Leader [emph., d.c.] who begins July 1, is not a total stranger to Madison Church of Christ actually worked in the basement of Madison several years ago when [the] camp director of Valley View was managing Madisons Media Center was living in Goodlettsville and attended worship here a few times when he wasnt leading worship at his home church -- Una Church of Christ had a casual relationship with Madison minister Phil Barnes because he had worked with Barnes son Jeremiah and his group -- Fourth Watch -- which had recorded several of Whitworths songs." [cf. July 2007 Marcher for remainder of the article.]

NOTE: "Unity in Diversity" at Work?

September 3, 2003 -- an Announcement

Madison Marcher: "We want to encourage both 8:00 and 10:30 services. You will see the designation "traditional" and "contemporary" on our sign and in publication to inform the community of a choice. We hope that both times will see increase in attendance and involvement." . . . "CALLING ALL SINGERS! The Worship and Music ministry is looking for additional singers. We are especially in need of male singers."
[also appeared in the next 2 weeks].

The above simply reminds us that there may may a "union" in diversity, but there is no "unity in diversity." So we have those designations in the following scheduled weekly assemblies at Madison. I'm having to resort to the list below because I have no knowledge of what's going on at Madison as far as changes are concerned in the "worship leadership" staff employment.

Traditional (First) -----December 4, 2011------Brent Whitworth
Contemporary (2nd) ------December 4, 2011------Brent Whitworth

Traditional (First) -----December 11, 2011-----Brent Whitworth
Contemporary (2nd) ------December 11, 2011-----Brent Whitworth

Traditional (First) -----December 18, 2011-----Brent Whitworth
Contemporary (2nd) ------December 18, 2011-----Brent Whitworth

Christmas Day (Combined)-December 25, 2011-----Brent Whitworth

Traditional (First) -----January 1, 2012-------Don Allen
Contemporary (2nd) ------January 1, 2012-------Roger Ferguson

Traditional (First) -----January 8, 2012-------Mike Clark
Contemporary (2nd) ------January 8, 2012-------Ryan Smith

Traditional (First) -----January 15, 2012------George Pendergrass
Contemporary (2nd) ------January 15, 2012------George Pendergrass

Traditional (First) -----January 22, 2012------George Pendergrass
Contemporary (2nd) ------January 22, 2012------George Pendergrass[/color]

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]I was not there, but I was informed that Brent's letter of "RESIGNATION" was read before the congregation. It appears that George Pendergrass is the successor. All this may have to do with Madison's new vision for 2012 -- partly [my own opinion] that the Madison church does not see color in its membership. (The worship guide now says on one page: "Madison is going orange! Follow us on Twitter @weRorange ")[/color]

January 23rd, 2012, 2:50 am #2

George Pendergrass was lead singer for Acappella and etc and etc and etc.
Seems he is an expert on breaking down cultural walls.

IT IS CLEAR THAT THEY STILL DO NOT KNOW THE MEANING OF THE "ASSEMBLY." THEREFORE, THEY SPEND LOTS OF MONEY TO SEDUCE PEOPLE INTO NEGLECTING THE ASSEMBLYING OF YOURSELVES.

Worship God The primary reason we meet together is to focus our attention on God, giving Him our praise, worship and thanks.
Connect People Nothing quite compares to the joy of Christian friendship. Our priority is to build lasting bonds between the members of our church family. No matter what your age or interests, there are groups and activities where you can plug in.
Reach the World Our calling is to help others in our neighborhood, and around the world, to know salvation in Jesus Christ.

Ken
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on January 23rd, 2012, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 24th, 2012, 2:54 am #3

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Nick Boone (brother of Pat Boone) "resigned" from song leading at Madison because he was just not the right person with the contemporary youth.

Keith Lancaster from Acappella Ministries was then employed by Madison as its "Worship Leader." He was responsible for implementing Madison's controversial "Choir" group, a.k.a. "Praise Team." Controversial -- in that, among others, it played a major part in the division not only among elders but also in the membership. In 2001, attendance at Madison dwindled down to half its size of 3,000 members from only a few years prior. Keith was there to witness the events. Did he feel responsible, at least partly, for the division? What do you think? [It appears not ... as he remained in the next few years.]

In December, 2003, he was to begin his sabbatical in the next several months. In July, 2004, he returned from that sabbatical.

In January 2007, Keith Lancaster "resigned." In that same year, here's the message from the Farragut congregation: "We are very blessed to have Keith as our new Worship Minister at Farragut. His experience and enthusiasm, along with his spirit of humility, make him a great addition to this congregation." (FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2007)

July, 2007

"Madison welcomes new Worship Leader Brent Whitworth" -- From the Marcher: "Brent Whitworth, Madisons new Worship Leader [emph., d.c.] who begins July 1, is not a total stranger to Madison Church of Christ actually worked in the basement of Madison several years ago when [the] camp director of Valley View was managing Madisons Media Center was living in Goodlettsville and attended worship here a few times when he wasnt leading worship at his home church -- Una Church of Christ had a casual relationship with Madison minister Phil Barnes because he had worked with Barnes son Jeremiah and his group -- Fourth Watch -- which had recorded several of Whitworths songs." [cf. July 2007 Marcher for remainder of the article.]

Madison Marcher: "We want to encourage both 8:00 and 10:30 services. You will see the designation "traditional" and "contemporary" on our sign and in publication to inform the community of a choice. We hope that both times will see increase in attendance and involvement." . . . "CALLING ALL SINGERS! The Worship and Music ministry is looking for additional singers. We are especially in need of male singers."

The above simply reminds us that there may may a "union" in diversity, but there is no "unity in diversity." So we have those designations in the following scheduled weekly assemblies at Madison. I'm having to resort to the list below because I have no knowledge of what's going on at Madison as far as changes are concerned in the "worship leadership" staff employment.

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]I was not there, but I was informed that Brent's letter of "RESIGNATION" was read before the congregation. It appears that George Pendergrass is the successor. All this may have to do with Madison's new vision for 2012 -- partly [my own opinion] that the Madison church does not see color in its membership. (The worship guide now says on one page: "Madison is going orange! Follow us on Twitter @weRorange ")[/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Jimmy Joe,

When I initiated this thread, I thought about what you posted elsewhere:[/color]
Donnie is still MIA from the Madison late service critic's pew. On an unsarcastic note, Donnie I hope you have found an acceptable service where you can spend the time worshipping without having to critique anything.
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]LOL!!! I think I am thick-skinned.

You may have also said something to the effect that conservative posters might consider you now a "liberal." Do you feel that way, Jimmy Joe?

OK, since you know so much more than I concerning Madison, can you fill us in on the details [maybe a little bit]? I was thinking that Brent was just the perfect choice for the contemporary youth at Madison. What do you think?[/color]

January 24th, 2012, 2:25 pm #4

July, 2007

Re: Brent Whitworth, Where Are You Now?

January 24th, 2012, 3:03 pm #5

July, 2007

I suggest the book " A faith built on sand" by Phil Sanders published by the Gospel Advocate. It puts a lot of this in perspective of the BIble. It shows why and how a lot of churches are concerned with the theatrical and not the testimony of Jesus that the works of the world are evil. Other books include Gary Gilley this little church series available on Amazon. Also see books by Warren Smith, Ray Yungen, James Sundquist, Brian Flynn and Bob Dewaay which give a lot of insight to the present trends. The main thrust of these books are that the present trends are not from the BIble.

Comments welcomed

January 24th, 2012, 11:22 pm #6

I looked at Phil's take on music and Amos once: I still have a sore place from his response.

I would not expect that most people trained as preachers but not as scholars to know much about the Old Testament. It is a fact that God did not command the Law of Moses: it was added because of transgression. That transgresssion was musical idolatry of the Egyptian trinity under the image of Apis, the real bull calves still found as mummies and made into an idol at Mount Sinai.

God did not command the monarchy, monarch, temple, animal sacrifices or instrumental noise during the not commanded animal sacrifices or burnt offering: I rest my case on the Spirit OF Christ who made only one spiritual covenant as God in Christ with Abraham.

The Jews never once did congregational singing with instrumental accompaniment.
As long as "conservatives" fail to make a distinction between the Civil-Military-Clergy complex quarantined behind closed gates in Jerusalem AND the Qahal, synagogue or church in the wilderness ordained by Christ the Rock and informed by Christ the only Spirit in the prophets, it will always loose the battle with those who build on the foundaiton of David.

In addition, the view that God is three distinct persons or people was invented by H. Leo Boles which informed all of tne Lipscomb trained preachers.

There is only ONE God the Father
And One mediator the MAN Jesus Christ who was MADE TO BE BOTH LORD AND CHRIST by God the Father of us all.

Those who first used the word 'triad' ever ventured so close to the fires that they defined the trinity as three, separated divine beings with (JM Hicks) their own centers of consciousneee.

Jesus of Nazareth received the promise of His post-resurrection gloray as HOLY (WHOLLY)SPIRIT and "poured out what ye see and hear at Pentecost."

JimmyJoe
JimmyJoe

January 26th, 2012, 6:13 am #7

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Jimmy Joe,

When I initiated this thread, I thought about what you posted elsewhere:[/color]
Donnie is still MIA from the Madison late service critic's pew. On an unsarcastic note, Donnie I hope you have found an acceptable service where you can spend the time worshipping without having to critique anything.
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]LOL!!! I think I am thick-skinned.

You may have also said something to the effect that conservative posters might consider you now a "liberal." Do you feel that way, Jimmy Joe?

OK, since you know so much more than I concerning Madison, can you fill us in on the details [maybe a little bit]? I was thinking that Brent was just the perfect choice for the contemporary youth at Madison. What do you think?[/color]
Donnie
I may have previously informed you that I began attending Madison in the mid 70's. Madison was considered a pretty liberal church at that time. One can recall Brother North with the bright red sport coat and the song leader being Ray Walker, a member of the famous Jordinares ( a well known gospel, rock and country quartet that backed up Elvis by the way). There was the production of the Amazing Grace Bible Class on Sunday night that was televised with great fanfare. Not long after, there was the addition of the Family Life Center with a gym, kitchen, class rooms and work-out center. Most of these things were considered liberal or down right sinful by a lot of the more conservative minded church of Christ congregations at that time. Therefore after saying all of that, since I attend the late service (contemporary)some would consider me a religious liberal. As I don't really care for labels, I again refer to one of Brother North's sayings of not the only Christians but Christians only.

To answer your question about the worship leader, I do not have an answer. As far as changes in personnel be it worship leader, preacher, elder, deacon or whoever, that is why elders are appointed. If something changes that I find unscriptual and not just because I don't agree or like, then I will make a change as I and I alone am responsible for my salvation.

In closing, Donnie I hope you are spirtually fulfilled at whatever you are doing and wherever you are.

January 29th, 2012, 2:17 am #8

I looked at Phil's take on music and Amos once: I still have a sore place from his response.

I would not expect that most people trained as preachers but not as scholars to know much about the Old Testament. It is a fact that God did not command the Law of Moses: it was added because of transgression. That transgresssion was musical idolatry of the Egyptian trinity under the image of Apis, the real bull calves still found as mummies and made into an idol at Mount Sinai.

God did not command the monarchy, monarch, temple, animal sacrifices or instrumental noise during the not commanded animal sacrifices or burnt offering: I rest my case on the Spirit OF Christ who made only one spiritual covenant as God in Christ with Abraham.

The Jews never once did congregational singing with instrumental accompaniment.
As long as "conservatives" fail to make a distinction between the Civil-Military-Clergy complex quarantined behind closed gates in Jerusalem AND the Qahal, synagogue or church in the wilderness ordained by Christ the Rock and informed by Christ the only Spirit in the prophets, it will always loose the battle with those who build on the foundaiton of David.

In addition, the view that God is three distinct persons or people was invented by H. Leo Boles which informed all of tne Lipscomb trained preachers.

There is only ONE God the Father
And One mediator the MAN Jesus Christ who was MADE TO BE BOTH LORD AND CHRIST by God the Father of us all.

Those who first used the word 'triad' ever ventured so close to the fires that they defined the trinity as three, separated divine beings with (JM Hicks) their own centers of consciousneee.

Jesus of Nazareth received the promise of His post-resurrection gloray as HOLY (WHOLLY)SPIRIT and "poured out what ye see and hear at Pentecost."
Good books let you identify the agenda and key supporting ideas, authors and books that support this digression. Knowing this assists in developing preaching, teaching and thinking goals and the presentation of same to God's elect. Axe on the root.

January 29th, 2012, 2:29 am #9

I still think that preachers are the problem!

A Faith Built on Sand

January 29th, 2012, 7:25 am #10

Good books let you identify the agenda and key supporting ideas, authors and books that support this digression. Knowing this assists in developing preaching, teaching and thinking goals and the presentation of same to God's elect. Axe on the root.
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]John,

Thanks for your message.

Ken has brought up a good point about preachers. We need to carefully watch out for preachers, even those who "claim" to be conservatives by their own standards. But, of course, we know that only God's truth as revealed in the Holy Scripture is our only basis for comparison.

I haven't read "A Faith Built on Sand." I think it's a good book based on the description: "Sanders confronts such current movements and positions as society's influence on Christianity, cultural morality, tolerance, the emerging church and synthetic Christianity."

I have quoted Phil Sanders in "What Happened This Week...":
[/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]"Entertainment settings should not be regarded as periods of worship. ... There is no harm in clapping with appreciation for the entertainer, but clapping in worship seems to take the focus off of God and put it on the performer. To be caught up in the skill of a performer and to lose sight of God dilutes and cheapens worship. The rock star status accorded to some entertainers has little place next to the cross. In worship the focus must be on praising God, not the skills of men. Worship put on for show is clearly condemned in Scripture (Matt. 6:1-18; 23:5-12). ... The recent blurrings of these distinctions [between entertainment and worship], coupled with the exposure to so many denominational worship services on television, services which feature professional performers, has created the confusion."[/color]