Baptism: The Saddleback Way

Dave Fields
Dave Fields

November 13th, 2012, 3:47 pm #1

Rick Warren Baptism Does Not Save

http://www.piney.com/Rick.Warren.Baptis ... .Save.html

Donnie mentioned that Rick Warren believes that the sinner's prayer is enough for salvation. Donnie said "CAUTION: Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Community Church in CA, formerly a Baptist pastor, teaches this sinner's prayer in order for the sinner to be saved."

This comes directly from the saddleback site. YOU decide if Donnie was being untruthful....again.

About Salvation
Salvation is a gift from God to man. Man can never make up for his sin by self-improvement or good works only by trusting in Jesus Christ as Gods offer of forgiveness can man be saved from sins penalty. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith.
About Baptism
Baptism by immersion symbolizes the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus and is your public declaration that you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Baptism does not save you, but shows the world that you have already been saved. And while baptism is not required for salvation, it is a biblical command and demonstrates your love and obedience to Christ.

What Is the Meaning of Baptism?

1. It illustrates Christ´s burial and resurrection.

"Christ died for our sins... He was buried... and He rose again." --I Cor. 15:3-4

"For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ." --Col. 2:12

2. It illustrates my new life as a Christian.

"When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!" --2 Cor. 5:17

"By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead... so also we may live a new life!" --Rom. 6:4

Baptism doesn´t make you a believer - it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not "save" you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring - it´s the outward symbol of the commitment you make in your heart.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith... it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." --Ephesians 2:8,9

Why Be Baptized By Immersion?

1. Because Jesus was baptized that way.

"As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water." --Matt. 3:16

2. Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion.

"...then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water..." --Acts 8:38-39

The word Baptize means "To dip under water"

The Greek work Baptizo means "To immerse or dip under water".

It best symbolized a burial and resurrection!

3. The founders of denominations agree:

Martin Luther... "I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the work imports and the mystery signifies."

John Calvin... "The word ´baptize´ signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the ancient church."

John Wesley... "Buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church."

Who Should Be Baptized?

1. Every person who has believed in Christ.

"Those who believe and accepted His message were baptized..." --Acts 2:41

"Simon himself believed and was baptized..." --Acts 8:13

"But when they believed Philip as he preached the Good News... and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women." --Acts 8:12

2. At Saddleback, we wait until our children are old enough to believe and understand the true meaning of baptism before we baptize them.
==============================

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]NOTE:

1. ConcernedMembers wanted to give credit to the poster Dave Fields, instead of "Anonymous."

2. ConcernedMembers included the above quoted statements in blue from the Saddleback website -- they were too important to be missing.[/color]
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on November 17th, 2012, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 14th, 2012, 6:32 am #2

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Dave,

The Saddlleback salvation dogma consists of numerous fallacies. Let's discuss and refute each of these doctrinal errors as time permits.

For now, I'd like to point out a couple of faulty assumptions:

(1) The Saddleback way has a way of unscripturally partitioning salvation from baptism.

(2) The sinner's prayer does not have to be verbalized in those exact words as in the example given earlier. The point remains the same: that the Saddleback's teaching of "ONLY believe and thou art saved" is equivalent to "I accept Jesus Christ as my own personal Savior and ... right now I am saved." [/color]

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 14th, 2012, 12:01 pm #3

Donnie mentioned that Rick Warren believes that the sinner's prayer is enough for salvation. Donnie said "CAUTION: Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Community Church in CA, formerly a Baptist pastor, teaches this sinner's prayer in order for the sinner to be saved."

This comes directly from the saddleback site. YOU decide if Donnie was being untruthful....again.

About Salvation
Salvation is a gift from God to man. Man can never make up for his sin by self-improvement or good works only by trusting in Jesus Christ as Gods offer of forgiveness can man be saved from sins penalty. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith.
About Baptism
Baptism by immersion symbolizes the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus and is your public declaration that you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Baptism does not save you, but shows the world that you have already been saved. And while baptism is not required for salvation, it is a biblical command and demonstrates your love and obedience to Christ.

"Christ died for our sins... He was buried... and He rose again." --I Cor. 15:3-4

"For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ." --Col. 2:12

"When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!" --2 Cor. 5:17

"By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead... so also we may live a new life!" --Rom. 6:4

Baptism doesn´t make you a believer - it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not "save" you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring - it´s the outward symbol of the commitment you make in your heart.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith... it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." --Ephesians 2:8,9

"...then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water..." --Acts 8:38-39

Martin Luther... "I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the work imports and the mystery signifies."

John Calvin... "The word ´baptize´ signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the ancient church."

John Wesley... "Buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church."

Who Should Be Baptized?

"But when they believed Philip as he preached the Good News... and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women." --Acts 8:12

2. At Saddleback, we wait until our children are old enough to believe and understand the true meaning of baptism before we baptize them.

1. ConcernedMembers wanted to give credit to the poster Dave Fields, instead of "Anonymous."

2. ConcernedMembers included the above quoted statements in blue from the Saddleback website -- they were too important to be missing.[/color]
For readers who are unaware out there, Donnie took my original message and edited it (put in items that I did not) and made it what he wanted it to be.
That isn't just untruthful, it is sinful and shows a man unsure of himself. Everything that was added to my original statement was not in blue, which makes Donnie and this site......a scam.
Again, nothing new under the sun. It is what it is.

B
B

November 14th, 2012, 2:31 pm #4

About Salvation
About Baptism

Who Should Be Baptized?

Since Saddleback said that "[e]ternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith," then Saddleback espouses the erroneous notion that baptism is not essential for salvation. Now why do you suppose Dave left that out of his post in "support" of Saddleback?

Dave squawked about being "truthful," yet he deliberately omitted revealing statements from a website to support his "point." Dave was deceptive. Dave was not truthful.

Scripture
Scripture

November 14th, 2012, 3:09 pm #5

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Dave,

The Saddlleback salvation dogma consists of numerous fallacies. Let's discuss and refute each of these doctrinal errors as time permits.

For now, I'd like to point out a couple of faulty assumptions:

(1) The Saddleback way has a way of unscripturally partitioning salvation from baptism.

(2) The sinner's prayer does not have to be verbalized in those exact words as in the example given earlier. The point remains the same: that the Saddleback's teaching of "ONLY believe and thou art saved" is equivalent to "I accept Jesus Christ as my own personal Savior and ... right now I am saved." [/color]
The Grim Reaper is knocking at the dooor.

Although a sizable majority of Madison's membership hold baptism in a more scriptural way, the error is within the gates--the Trojan horse.

With full knowledge of this error, the Shepherds have given the film series such that the membership must cope with it at the personal level. Watch out, Madison, you have now a two-front war--music and baptism.

Surely there was some better way forward than this film series!

The "sinner's prayer" while mocking Biblical baptism, let's salvation ride on the back of prayer and confession.

Prayer and confession can be considered "works", but so can baptism! But prayer, confession, and baptism are not works of merit, and this is the whole difference.

B
B

November 14th, 2012, 6:58 pm #6

For readers who are unaware out there, Donnie took my original message and edited it (put in items that I did not) and made it what he wanted it to be.
That isn't just untruthful, it is sinful and shows a man unsure of himself. Everything that was added to my original statement was not in blue, which makes Donnie and this site......a scam.
Again, nothing new under the sun. It is what it is.
I reviewed the Saddleback site, and what Donnie added to Dave's post is exactly what Saddleback states on its site. Yet Dave originally chose to omit that most revealing statement; hence, it was Dave who was not being truthful. Donnie was being truthful when he exposed more of Saddleback's philosophy about baptism. Dave pitched the Saddleback agenda, yet with his omission, he wanted us to think that Saddleback believes as we all do, which is not the case. Whereas we believe that baptism is absolutely essential for salvation, as the New Testament teaches, Saddleback believes that "Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith." Sure, Saddleback supports baptism, but Saddleback does not believe that baptism is absolutely essential for salvation.

November 14th, 2012, 7:44 pm #7

Since Saddleback said that "[e]ternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith," then Saddleback espouses the erroneous notion that baptism is not essential for salvation. Now why do you suppose Dave left that out of his post in "support" of Saddleback?

Dave squawked about being "truthful," yet he deliberately omitted revealing statements from a website to support his "point." Dave was deceptive. Dave was not truthful.
Alexander Campbell agreed that the WORD is the SEED: if the seed is planted in good soil and the birds (demons) don't take it away, it will germinate and grow into a new plant and produce fruit. I planted Fescue and Red and White clover about a month ago: MANY will germinate but FEW will be saved over the winder. Many or Most are called but FEW are chosen: chosen means tested as by fire and they will not be ultimately saved unless they REMAIN FAITHFUL. If they teach and believe lies and say that God permits instrumental music when He denies that, they blaspheme the Spirit OF Christ and have no hope: God sends the to Babylonia defined in Revelation 17f and into the Lake of Fire.

Only those who have been baptized are given A holy spirit (theirs) or A good conscience, consciousness or a CO-perception. They have become DISCIPLES (not ritualists) of Christ and a Disciple is a STUDENT and does not make infantile and effeminate acts when Jesus Christ (the NOW Comforter) is our ONLY teacher when the Elders teach that which has been taught. Rick Warren is a Corrupter of the Word meaning "Selling the free Word of Christ at Retail. That is NOT a problem: that is the MARK that the Lamps have been removed from Christ's church MARKED by the performance preachers, singers and instrument players John and recorded history called SORCERERS: Why, they BURN witches as Joh affirms.

JAMES MAKES IT PERFECTLY CLEAR:

James 1:14 But every man is tempted,
.....when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
James 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived,
.....it bringeth forth sin: and sin,
.....when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

HE SAYS, THEREFORE, DONT BE STUPID.

James 1:16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,
.....and cometh down from the Father of lights,
.....with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth,
t.....hat we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

BETTING does not mean that the SEED conceives by being BURIED, WATERED, AND RAISED TO A NEW LIFE.

John 6:34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them,
.....I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger;
.....and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
John 6:36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me;
.....and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

........John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:
...........the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

HOW DOES THE FATHER DRAW PEOPLE OF FAITH OR OF TRUTH

John 6:44 No man can come to me,
.....except the Father which hath sent me draw him:
.....and I will raise him up at the last day.

How does the Father DRAW people to Him

John 6:45 It is written in the prophets,
.....And they shall be ALL taught of God.
.....Every man therefore that hath heard,
.....and hath learned of the Father,
.....cometh unto me.

Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children,
.....and to all that are afar off,
.....even as many as the Lord our God shall call. [invite]

.......Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:
.........for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth;
to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
.......1Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness;
.........but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

THOSE WHO BELIEVE ARE NOT SAVED: THEY HAVE THE POWER TO BE SAVED:

Acts 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort,
.....saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

How do you SAVE YOURSELF from this CROOKED RACE (The wine, women and Skolion songs--the new wineskinners)

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:
.....and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Notice that they were not ADDED to them until AFTER they were baptized.

Acts 2:47KJV Praising God, and having favour with all the people.
.....And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
Acts 2:47ASV praising God, and having favor with all the people.
.....And the Lord added to them day by day those that were saved
Acts 2:47NIV praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.
.....And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

No one SHOULD be Saved if they DENY The prophecy, example and command of Jesus Christ.
You can't even join a T-ball team if you THINK you can be a star because you BELIEVE in T-Ball

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 14th, 2012, 10:28 pm #8

About Salvation
About Baptism

Who Should Be Baptized?

Concerned is not allowed to give credit to anyone if they choose to be anonymous. B (William Crump) and Donnie have already stated that the ip address isn't conclusive of one's identification.
Also, B stated "I reviewed the Saddleback site, and what Donnie added to Dave's post is exactly what Saddleback states on its site."

That is THE scam. If Donnie wanted to do what was right, then he would have posted a response seeking to offer more information, not editing anyone's post. A scam is a scam. This site is a scam.

B
B

November 15th, 2012, 12:59 am #9

Donnie caught Dave's deceptive omission about the Saddleback site, so now Dave is jumpin' mad about it and squeals "scam, scam!" Did Dave really think we wouldn't check out that site for ourselves to see if he told us the WHOLE story? Well, it turns out Dave DIDN'T tell us the WHOLE story after all. Dave was untruthful.

November 15th, 2012, 5:21 pm #10

About Salvation
About Baptism

Who Should Be Baptized?

Clement on Isaiah 1 sin the Dead Sea Scrolls and Baptism.

http://www.piney.com/FathClStromataI.html

All of the Bible and recorded scholarship before these LAST DAYS simply taught the Word about Baptism as it is printed on paper so that NO ONE can misunderstand.

The word PISTIS has a lot of meanings but NEVER "Faith only" or Raw faith. It can mean TRUST meaning "yes I will get in the only Life Boat and NEVER, EVER quibble or whine." In the literature it is always used to mean TO COMPLY. "I trust Aaron the banker and therefore I put my gold into his hands for safe-keeping." We have actual cases where mass wealth was transferred by Letters of Credit.

He that COMPLIETH and is BAPTIZED shall BE saved.
He that COMPLIETH NOT shall be damned.
That's exactly what the Spirit OF Christ said in Isaiah and the eunuch had a scroll probably identical to the one found with the Dead Sea Scrolls.

If the eunuch had WHINED, he would NOT have been baptized.

All of the historic scholars said the same thing and defined adult baptism so that Alexander Campbell could call John Calvin a Campbellite.

Last edited by Ken.Sublett on November 15th, 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.