August 12th, 2013, 3:12 am #41

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There are almost a hundred references to "the spirit OF..." throughout the Bible. Here's the list from another thread:[/color]
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the Lord (26 references in O.T.; Luke 4:18; Acts 5:9; 8:39; II Cor. 3:17,18)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF God (14 references in O.T.; 12 references in N.T.)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF our God (I Cor. 6:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the living God (II Cor. 3:3)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Christ (Rom. 8:9; I Peter 1:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:19)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Him (Rom. 8:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the Lord God (Isa. 61:1)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF His Son (Gal. 4:6)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the holy Spirit OF God (Eph. 4:30)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the Father (Matt. 10:20)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. HIS Spirit that dwelleth in you (Rom. 8:11; I Cor. 2:10; I John 4:13)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. HIS holy Spirit (Isa. 63:10,11; I Thess. 4:8)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Him that raised up Jesus (Rom. 8:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit which is OF God (I Cor. 2:12) </li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The above references clearly indicate to me, as one theologian says, that the Holy Spirit is "not an independent entity alongside God, but the evidence of God's active presence in the world." We've dealt very extensively with the significance of the preposition "OF" to indicate ownership or belongingness or possession. [/color]
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There was no debate in O.T. times about the Trinity. Period.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There was no debate among the 1st century Christians about the Trinity -- but since the Trinity Creed was invented, there has been more debate.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Jews don't capitalize "holy spirit" or "spirit" -- it does not refer to a person.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The Hebrew and Greek languages did not have upper and lower case when the earliest biblical manuscripts were written.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Capitalization is merely interpretation of Trinity-influenced translators.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Pronoun gender (he or it) in Greek is irrelevant -- strictly a "theological" decision.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The New Testament NEVER identifies "the Holy Spirit" as God.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The Spirit of God is to God what the spirit of man is to man.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]"'Spirit of God' in Judaism denoted the power of God."[/color]</li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The New Testament speaks of the GODHEAD (not Trinity) in the following manner (cf. Colossians 2:1-9): [/color]
  • [2] That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
    </li>
  • [3] In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
    </li>
  • [6] As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
    </li>
  • [7] Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
    </li>
  • [8] Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
    </li>
  • [9] For in him [the Lord Jesus Christ] dwelleth all the fulness of THE GODHEAD bodily.</li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Now, Paul's and other writers' salutations in the following epistles:[/color]
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]ROMANS------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:7)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I CORINTHIANS-----: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II CORINTHIANS----: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort, (1:2,3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]GALATIANS---------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) ... unto the churches of Galatia: Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, (1:1-3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]EPHESIANS---------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]PHILIPPIANS-------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]COLOSSIANS--------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (1:2,3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I THESSALONIANS---: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:1)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II THESSALONIANS--: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I TIMOTHY---------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II TIMOTHY--------: [/color]
    <blockquote>To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]TITUS-------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour. (1:4)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]PHILEMON----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]HEBREWS-----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? (1:5)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]JAMES-------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. (1:1)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I PETER-----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II PETER----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I JOHN------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>... and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II JOHN-----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]JUDE--------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: (1:1)
    </blockquote></li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Paul and the other apostles/writers do not mention "the Holy Spirit." This absence suggests that Paul and the others did not regard the Holy Spirit as a person.[/color]
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on August 12th, 2013, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
Bill

August 12th, 2013, 3:21 am #42

No one's denying the Father or the Son or even the Holy Spirit. It's just that there's no evidence that the New Testament hangs our salvation on whether we perceive the Holy Spirit to be a person or not.

August 12th, 2013, 3:24 am #43

What about being an ANTICHRIST? Is that a Salvation Issue?

August 12th, 2013, 3:46 am #44

No one's denying the Father or the Son or even the Holy Spirit. It's just that there's no evidence that the New Testament hangs our salvation on whether we perceive the Holy Spirit to be a person or not.
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Bill, that is the unfortunate part of engaging in a Bible discussion of doctrinal differences -- resorting to comments like yours.

My suggestion is for you to not participate and to let the discussion with and among other Bible students continue.

No one is stopping you from believing the Trinity Dogma. No one is stopping you from "worshiping" and "serving" the "Holy Spirit" as your Master and Lord [wonder where that is in Scripture?] and obeying the "His commandments."[/color]

Bill
Bill

August 12th, 2013, 6:27 am #45

No one's an antichrist here that I know of, for no one is denying the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. However, perhaps there are some very disturbed people who think that an antichrist is anyone who does not believe exactly as they do.

Bill
Bill

August 12th, 2013, 12:58 pm #46

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Bill, the salutations are not parallel to Mark 16:16. NOT AT ALL!!!

The "and" in the salutations refers to: (1) God the Father "and" (2) His Son, Jesus Christ the Lord. There is no "but" in those addresses.

The salutations do not have another clause similar to "but he that believeth not [without being baptized] shall be condemned."

The salutations are straightforward -- no "ifs" and no "buts."[/color]
I wasn't trying to make salutations equal with Mark 16:16. I was curious about A-Won's term "Baptist style" of argument and wanted him to explain what he meant by that term. I wanted to know if Baptists' using Mark 16:16 to argue against baptism as essential for salvation was possibly an EXAMPLE of that "style."

Now you just settle down and let A-Won clarify what "Baptist style" of argument is.

Bill
Bill

August 12th, 2013, 1:16 pm #47

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Bill, that is the unfortunate part of engaging in a Bible discussion of doctrinal differences -- resorting to comments like yours.

My suggestion is for you to not participate and to let the discussion with and among other Bible students continue.

No one is stopping you from believing the Trinity Dogma. No one is stopping you from "worshiping" and "serving" the "Holy Spirit" as your Master and Lord [wonder where that is in Scripture?] and obeying the "His commandments."[/color]
We need not get upset if we find that the New Testament does not explicitly attach a salvation clause to certain topics that we discuss here. Whether the Holy Spriit is or is not a person is one such topic. Nevertheless, by their fervent appeals that everyone should accept and adopt their personal beliefs, some folks climb way out on a limb and imply that eternity will be unpleasant for those who do not comply.

August 12th, 2013, 4:50 pm #48

It's true: you can be a Master Teacher or a Harding Guru and NOT be able to read BLACK text on BROWN paper.

A Christian is a follower of Jesus MADE TO BE both Lord and Christ.
A Christian is a DISCIPLE of Christ: A Disciple never challenges their teacher Who does NOT grade on the curve.

I strongly believe that a person has not "been washed with water INTO the Word" or INTO the School of Christ if they can even THINK "Is THAT a salvation ISSURE?"

The new Grace-Centered Cult in fact CONFESSES: "Yes, we know that we are sinning but Grace is going to cover us."

THEIR Graces and Muses are "blue-eyed, blond singer-prostitute" called LOCUSTS and SORCERERS.

The BIBLICAL ANTITHESIS which they cannot Read Titus because ONLY JESUS discounts the Epistles and even calls them divisive letters of divisive men.

August 12th, 2013, 6:37 pm #49

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There are almost a hundred references to "the spirit OF..." throughout the Bible. Here's the list from another thread:[/color]
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the Lord (26 references in O.T.; Luke 4:18; Acts 5:9; 8:39; II Cor. 3:17,18)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF God (14 references in O.T.; 12 references in N.T.)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF our God (I Cor. 6:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the living God (II Cor. 3:3)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Christ (Rom. 8:9; I Peter 1:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:19)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Him (Rom. 8:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the Lord God (Isa. 61:1)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF His Son (Gal. 4:6)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the holy Spirit OF God (Eph. 4:30)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF the Father (Matt. 10:20)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. HIS Spirit that dwelleth in you (Rom. 8:11; I Cor. 2:10; I John 4:13)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. HIS holy Spirit (Isa. 63:10,11; I Thess. 4:8)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit OF Him that raised up Jesus (Rom. 8:11)
    </li>
  • That the Holy Spirit is a.k.a. the Spirit which is OF God (I Cor. 2:12) </li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The above references clearly indicate to me, as one theologian says, that the Holy Spirit is "not an independent entity alongside God, but the evidence of God's active presence in the world." We've dealt very extensively with the significance of the preposition "OF" to indicate ownership or belongingness or possession. [/color]
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There was no debate in O.T. times about the Trinity. Period.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There was no debate among the 1st century Christians about the Trinity -- but since the Trinity Creed was invented, there has been more debate.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Jews don't capitalize "holy spirit" or "spirit" -- it does not refer to a person.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The Hebrew and Greek languages did not have upper and lower case when the earliest biblical manuscripts were written.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Capitalization is merely interpretation of Trinity-influenced translators.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Pronoun gender (he or it) in Greek is irrelevant -- strictly a "theological" decision.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The New Testament NEVER identifies "the Holy Spirit" as God.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The Spirit of God is to God what the spirit of man is to man.[/color]
    </li>
  • [color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]"'Spirit of God' in Judaism denoted the power of God."[/color]</li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The New Testament speaks of the GODHEAD (not Trinity) in the following manner (cf. Colossians 2:1-9): [/color]
  • [2] That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
    </li>
  • [3] In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
    </li>
  • [6] As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
    </li>
  • [7] Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
    </li>
  • [8] Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
    </li>
  • [9] For in him [the Lord Jesus Christ] dwelleth all the fulness of THE GODHEAD bodily.</li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Now, Paul's and other writers' salutations in the following epistles:[/color]
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]ROMANS------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:7)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I CORINTHIANS-----: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II CORINTHIANS----: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort, (1:2,3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]GALATIANS---------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) ... unto the churches of Galatia: Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, (1:1-3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]EPHESIANS---------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]PHILIPPIANS-------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]COLOSSIANS--------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (1:2,3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I THESSALONIANS---: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:1)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II THESSALONIANS--: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I TIMOTHY---------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II TIMOTHY--------: [/color]
    <blockquote>To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]TITUS-------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour. (1:4)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]PHILEMON----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]HEBREWS-----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? (1:5)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]JAMES-------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. (1:1)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I PETER-----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II PETER----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, (1:2)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]I JOHN------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>... and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]II JOHN-----------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. (1:3)
    </blockquote></li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="2" face="courier]JUDE--------------: [/color]
    <blockquote>Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: (1:1)
    </blockquote></li>
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Paul and the other apostles/writers do not mention "the Holy Spirit." This absence suggests that Paul and the others did not regard the Holy Spirit as a person.[/color]
Let me restate my Thesis:
Much of the Bible is to REPUDIATE the pagan views of their gods and their burden-laded rituals having such a low opinion of the Eternal Spirit of the Universe that they can IMAGE Him as a man with all of his carnal appetites.

ALL pagan triads consisted of a father god (inseminator) and a mother (spirit) as the inseminated and an inferior son often as the son of a cuckolded father.

No one can read the Bible and not conclude that Jehovah says of Him self that I AM ALL ALONE: there is no other god (elohim) beside me. There are many gods (elohim) but I (Jehovah) am the only LORD. Any could be a pretend god by inventing their own rituals and composing their own songs and sermons: the Scribes and Pharisees (speakers, singers, instrument players) were the THEN PRESENT enemy of God who did battle with Jesus of Nazareth Whom he made and sent to preach GOD'S truth.

The New Testament works really hard to DENOUNCE the always-pagan triads or "families of gods" (that's why we REMOVE Church of Christ and add Family of God). The folly is that the MASSES or MANY of whom Paul said "if they will not work neither shall they eat" prove that they are STRONGLY DELUDED and the MARK of strong delusions is the very same Scribes and Pharisees performint THEIR cultur-sensitive services by HIRING a Staff Infection to PERFORM doing church for YOU (simple laying by in storer)

I understand that "career path" does not let any preacher affirm or refute.

Bill
Bill

August 12th, 2013, 6:49 pm #50

I know of no one who is an antichrist on this site. There are, however, rather eccentric and fanatical folks who brand as antichrists all who disagree with them. Let's hope we see none of that kind around here.