February 21st, 2012, 6:56 pm #31

I suspect that my daughter and her daughter went to Winterfest with their church.

Would you define the form of music which was performed and what part did it play.

Do you remember the performers?

Thanks

Racnor
Racnor

February 21st, 2012, 9:17 pm #32

Ken, it's not as bad as you think it is.

http://www.winterfest.org/Faqs.html

B
B

February 21st, 2012, 11:48 pm #33

"It's not as bad as you think it is." The serpent also convinced Eve that the consequences of eating the "forbidden fruit" would not be as bad God said they would be.

The greatest trick Satan has ever pulled has been to convince the world that he doesn't exist.

The greatest trick the change agents have ever pulled has been to convince the world that mixing worldly culture and practices with worship and praise "isn't so bad."

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 22nd, 2012, 5:00 am #34

I suspect that my daughter and her daughter went to Winterfest with their church.

Would you define the form of music which was performed and what part did it play.

Do you remember the performers?

Thanks
Why not simply ask them?

March 2nd, 2012, 1:12 am #35

Lectio divina is a 4 step catholic practice and prayer concept that will bear watching at any youth group meeting or assembly. It may be called contemplative prayer or some other seeming innocent term. What it amounts to is mystical search for "truth" outside the Bible. We all know to contemplate the scriptures is not a bad idea at all. But to repeat a mantra over and over until one is in a trance like state is vain. One seeks the truth of God through the absolute truth of the scriptures and the other seeks to use ones own imagination and emotions as the guide in life. Some of the authors that promote this idea are Richard J Foster and Dan Kimball. Another of its leading proponents was Thomas Merton. If you hear these names being bounced around you know where they are headed.

The internet has much about lectio divina on it with the comment on one web site that this is only guidance there are no strict directions on how to do it. Kinda loose and hard to pin down.

Teaching others to seek personal revelation or a spiritual experience outside the scriptures is falsehood. The new testament is filled with directions that we are to know Gods will and apply to our everyday lives. Paul told timothy that we have everything we need to live a Godly life in the scriptures.

Consider that christians read books found in bookstores which promote or pay respect to these ideas.

Any of these winterfest or like youth gatherings should be reviewed and be forced to provide a complete written agenda and detailed description of all events including who the leaders are and what church they come form.

It's just basic spiritual security.

March 2nd, 2012, 4:11 pm #36

This is the Lipscomb strong delusions because they certainly have no Biblical scholarship: Lying Wonders is the outbreak of musical and theatrical performance to, in the words of Rick Atchly, teach the youth to LEAVE OUR MOVEMENT.

Sounds like witchcraft: ACU and LU are presently into trying to grow out of your own imagination which God says is "only evil continually."

Because the spirit is the mind, God gave it the supernatural gifts of the senses. And because Jesus said my WORDS are SPIRIT and LIFT, Paul said that we GROW by feeding on the Word which IS Spirit.

I wonder why people waged by a church would have any interest in neo-paganism or Wicca which Lynn Anderson promotes so wonderfully at LU and ACU?

Arnobius who has so much to say against music as SORCERY in agreement with John 18

http://www.piney.com/MuArnobi.html

He also said: But you will, perhaps, say that the gods are not artificers, nay, that under their care all things have been placed, which we manage and conduct." (Arnobius Against the Heathen, Ante-Nicene, VI, p. 470).

The soothsayers receive their knowledge of their art from the Phythian god, and why does he so often give and affort answeres equivocal, doubtful, dteeped in darkness and obscurity." (Arnibious, Ante-Nicene, VI, p. 470)

Remember, that Paul repudiates this common practice by casting out the DIVINING SPIRIT frome the young girl. Even speaking truth by an EVIL SPIRIT was not approved.

But it is only poets whom you have thought proper to allow to invent unseemly tales about the gods, and to turn them shamefully into sport?

<font color="#FFFFFF">....
What do your pantomimists, the actors, that crowd of mimics and adulterers?

....Do they not abuse your gods
....to make themselves gain,
....and do not the others find enticing, pleasures in the wrongs and insults offered to the gods?

Are the public games, too, the colleges of all the priests and magistrates take their place, the chief Pontiffs, and the chief priests of the curiae... crowned with wreaths of laurel, the flamines diales with their mitres;

....the augurs take their place, who disclose the divine mind and will;
....and chaste maidens also, who cherish and guard the ever-burning place."

Arnobius, further

"Mocking the belief that Mellonia introduces herself into the entrails, or Limentinus, and that they set themselves to make known what you seek to learn, Arnobius asks--

May it not happen, may it not come to pass,
....although you craftily conceal it,
....that the one should take the other's place, deluding, mocking, deceiving,
....and presenting the appearance of the deity invoked?

If the magi, who are so much akin to soothsayers, relate that, in their incantations,

....pretend gods steal in frequently instead of those invoked; that some of these, moreover,
....are spirits of grosser substance,
....who pretend that they are gods,
....and delude the ignorant by their lies and deceit."
....(Arnobius Against the Heathen, Ante-Nicene, VI, p. 479).

The overwhelming evidence is that music and the other outlawed creation of mental excitement by the use of rituals is something that can fool only the ignorant and lower classes.

http://www.piney.com/FathArnoHeresIV.html

There is nothing that any human can do to nourish the SPIRIT but feed it on the Word of God which IS Spirit and Life. Just because the once-Christian colleges have fallen into something bordering on witchcraft you should not endorse anyone seeking to follow the misleaders.

Randy Harris, Gary Holloway and Rhonda Lowery
Growing Deeper: A look at contemplative Spirituality.

Harris said. This is aimed at students, not the guests. Ive done a number of things related to the topic, Harris said. Hes spent time at a Trappist monastery, a Buddhist retreat, a Celtic retreat house and a hermit community for 40 days of silent prayer.

Were in a world where everyone is looking for religious experience, Harris said. Monks and hermits are people who seem to know about that thats why Ive gone to check em out. . . . Though he studies mysticism, Harris said his education on the subject includes learning through experience. Ive done a whole lot of reading about it,

but you get to a point where you dont want to read about it, Harris said. Ive really been on a search and kinda decided I would go any place in the world to try and learn from people who know about meditation or contemplative prayer or who were practicing a mystical tradition.

http://www.piney.com/David.Lipscomb.Summer.2008.html

Lipscomb University Preaching 2008 From Denominational Imagination!

This conference proposes that WE allow the worlds imagined
....in the essential biblical narratives
....to dramatically shape our preaching and lives.

We believe that preaching reconstitutes biblical paradigms when it engages Scriptures vision

....1. by representing what is absent
.... 2. and making present what is inaccessible
.... 3. to the end that followers of God will live into a God-shaped reality.

Whoa! Far gone, don't go there or be LED into this witchery

</font>
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on March 2nd, 2012, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 3rd, 2012, 3:36 am #37

More authors who favor and promote lectio divina - contemplative prayer

Ruth Haley Barton uses in one of her publications the passage of I Kings 19:9-13 to justify contemplative prayer and offers various descriptive narratives.

Tilden Edwards, Henry Nouwen and Brennan Manning favor the idea

Then there is the Youth Ministry Spirituality Project funded by the Eli Lilly organization advertising all over its web site about contemplative this and that. They produce and distribute Training seminars, conventions, videos, magazines, other resource products.

Persons who go these places may well bring the poison back to Gods elect.

Comments welcome

March 3rd, 2012, 4:08 am #38

It is a fact that most people in the "business" have no respect for God or His Word: why should you when Max Lucado got a vision, Rick Atchley had the Spirit tell him to preach all of those lies and Rubel Shelly said we should hear the "audible" voice of God. No telling what people will do when God turns delusions on them to make them fools.

If you can "hear" God without God speaking audibly to you--however whisperery-- you should have not trouble feeding all of the poor and raising the dead.

1Kings 17:20 And he cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, hast thou also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?
1Kings 17:21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this childs soul come into him again.
1Kings 17:22 And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.
1Kings 17:23 And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth.
1Kings 17:24 And the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in thy mouth is truth.

March 13th, 2012, 12:03 am #39

Note the reference to the book by Richard Foster "Celebration of Discipline, the Path to Spiritual Growth" is mentioned as a guide for the 12 Disciplines of Christianity. This is on page 20 in connection with some paintings used at the winterfest. The article goes on to say that the 12 disciplines were focused on by the speakers and that other references are made to the book also. Richard Foster is considered a mystic and a heretic of the first order by many - he is also a promoter of Thomas Merton.

Comments welcome

March 13th, 2012, 1:42 am #40

I quizzed my granddaughter who went to winterfest: I think most who attend do so for the entertainment value. She was upset because there waa no "spiritual content."

Here is the Christian way to grow.

1Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: