Anniversaries and Birthdays

Anniversaries and Birthdays

Sonny
Sonny

June 9th, 2011, 10:40 pm #1

Brother Crump, since you stated that anniversaries and birthdays should not be acknowledged in the assembly nor even after a dismissal prayer, do you think it is o.k. with God for anniversaries and birthdays to be listed or referenced in bulletins? Or, is this also taking the honor away from God when people's marriages are being honored and recognized?

Likewise, do you think it is o.k. with God for congregations to have bulletins?

-Sonny

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

June 10th, 2011, 1:23 am #2

I've already stated my point about this matter. Did you feel so strongly about this that you had to create a special thread just to "discuss" birthdays and anniversaries, or were you just trying to be farcical? The winking eye votes for the latter.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

June 10th, 2011, 2:26 am #3

Here are some questions Sonny should be asking, since he wants to be farcical:

If a person wins the Kentucky Derby, the Indy 500, the lottery, the Miss America pageant, or some other noteworthy contest, is it wrong to honor them during the worship assembly?

If a person has recently received some kind of recognition in the media, is it wrong for members of his congregation to send him text messages of congratulations (his cell phone jingles) while they all sit during the worship assembly?

Is it wrong during the worship assembly to honor students who are graduating with various honors from high school or various colleges and universities?

If a person has a pet that becomes a champion (horse show, dog show, etc.), should that person and his pet be honored during the worship assembly? (That means bringing in the winning animals into the congregation and cleaning up their mess after everyone has spooked them with boisterous, standing ovations).

The winking eye wants to know how far do you want go with this farce, Sonny?

Sonny
Sonny

June 10th, 2011, 4:08 am #4

I've already stated my point about this matter. Did you feel so strongly about this that you had to create a special thread just to "discuss" birthdays and anniversaries, or were you just trying to be farcical? The winking eye votes for the latter.
Brother Crump, the questions are different and valid. They are valid because most churches in North America list birthdays and anniversaries in their bulletins. Since you have claimed that it is wrong to publicly honor or recognize people in a public way in the assembly, I am asking if you believe this includes bulletins. Dodge the question if you wish.

Brother, the problem is that you equate your opinions as God's Word. Whether it be bulletins, anniversaries, clapping, emotion, or other issues, you migrate away from Scripture to what you think without referencing Scripture and speaking with this authority. Your belief on baptism is supported in Scripture. I am sure you have many other beliefs supported in Scripture.

-Sonny

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

June 10th, 2011, 12:41 pm #5

The matter has become farcical. Why waste time answering farcical questions, which only prompt more and more farcical questions? Let's quickly shatter the fruity loop. And you seem most eager to jump to conclusions about who equates his opinion with God's Word. Reserve your accusation for the infamous person on this board who sees those who oppose him as "cursed," "sinners," and orders them to "Repent! Repent!" That person believes he is the mouth of God.

Dave
Dave

June 10th, 2011, 12:45 pm #6

Brother Crump, since you stated that anniversaries and birthdays should not be acknowledged in the assembly nor even after a dismissal prayer, do you think it is o.k. with God for anniversaries and birthdays to be listed or referenced in bulletins? Or, is this also taking the honor away from God when people's marriages are being honored and recognized?

-Sonny
Sonny, why would you even want to engage in conversation with Bill after he concludes his remarks with....."The winking eye wants to know how far do you want go with this farce, Sonny? wink.gif"

Not only just basically immature, but he believes that if the subject is a farce then any further comment or discussion would also be such a farce.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

June 10th, 2011, 10:23 pm #7

A person makes a farce of himself when he goes about repeatedly hollering at those who oppose him, "You are cursed! You are a sinner! Repent! Repent!" Thou art the man, Dave.

Sonny
Sonny

June 11th, 2011, 10:49 pm #8

Brother Crump,

You are beyond conservative, and definitely beyond biblical. You are dogmatic. Below are a few examples of man-made rules. Furthermore, I would surmise that your own congregation alone, not to mention any others, is not able to abide by all of your man made rules, nor should they.

It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's anniversary in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's graduation in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's birthday in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's lads to leader accomplishments, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's service to the military, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.

Just from these 5 teachings alone, most of the 40,000 C of C congregations would be unacceptable to God if these teachings are/were accurate. Even the most conservative of congregations I am aware of (which are many) include these and other information in their bulletins and often share in public announcements from the pulpit.

I wonder if Brother Crump believes God's grace will cover these congregations' alleged sins/disobedience?

-Sonny

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

June 12th, 2011, 3:59 am #9

Hop--skip--and JUMP...to conclusions, Sonny. If that makes you feel better, stronger, more superior, more alive, even holier, who am I to deny you an opportunity for self-gratification?

Dave
Dave

June 12th, 2011, 2:47 pm #10

-Sonny
Sonny,
Do you see what I mean? Some people don't care for meaningful dialogue.....they want to get in their jabs and feel superior in doing so.