ACU Lectures 2012

July 10th, 2012, 7:58 pm #31

Jeremiah 15 has Christ defining the future church: He will baptize with Wind and Fire and burn up those who refused to be Word-Only Centered. Jeremiah 15: Thy Words were found and I ate them.

http://www.piney.com/Jeremiah.15.Thy.Wo ... .Them.html

Report:

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr><td valign="top" width="98%">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="98%"><tr><td width="98%" bgcolor="#ffffff">

<table border="0" width="98%" align="center"><tr><td>
[color=#000000" size="5" face="times]ACU Lectures 2012[/color]
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]For those not having an early heads up of topics for this year's(Sept.) lecture series in Abilene, here are some of the more interesting ones:

The Devotional Power of Poetry...How Poets can draw us near to God (female speaker)

Committed to the Cause...My life in Christian Churches/C of C's...V. Knowles (naturally)

Big-Hearted Conversation across the Denominational Divide...Spirit and the Church today
(R. Harris)

The Times They are-a-changin...Reflections and projections about Women in Ministry

Putting away traditional teaching on divorce...Untangling the web of marital messes
(I was unaware there was a "traditional view".)

Church Leadership structures that work...Best Practices for Elders (Siburt/Washburn)

Sex is more than skin on skin...The personal transformation to become a great lover

To add to the above, the University Honors College will be hosting a dinner to recognize
several including an ordained (female) minister from the United Methodist Church.

Those who have expressed words of concern for the teachings taking place at schools like ACU
are quite accurate in their assessments. It would seem reasonable to thinks that back in the
60's & 70's, those attempting to promote these teachings would have been driven out quickly!!

(In ordering a tape from one of the previous lectureships, it's a plus to continue to be on the mailing list at ACU...will likely order several this year to get a better indication of what is being promoted)

[/color]</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on July 13th, 2012, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Racnor
Racnor

July 10th, 2012, 8:44 pm #32

Ken, thank goodness it is raining in Muscle Shoals. It looks like it is raining in Hohenwald as well. I think we are safe.

July 10th, 2012, 8:58 pm #33

When the churches leaders no longer refute falsehood and no longer testify that the world is evil ........when leaders no longer say unless you repent you shall perish then the church grows ignorant, lazy and soft. Then along comes ACU and various "learned" men and women to provide artificial discipline in the form of small groups and prayer partners and disciple makers. Then comes buzz words like baptism of fire and other terms for things which are "discovered" by these various "learned" men and women.

The truth is a firm, strict by the Bible church of Christ would be making disciples, practicing discipline, and reaching out to the lost with the Gospel. We do not need these experts to discover what was lost (by the same progressive attitude) and remake it in the mindset of post modern anti-truth. The average person in the pews is being led around by the nose with this current crop of academic leaders.

The apostles doctrine has not changed since they gave it. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. The Lords people need to adhere to that which is written and turn not to the left or the right. Preach the word - nothing else!

Comments Welcome

July 11th, 2012, 12:31 am #34

Ken, thank goodness it is raining in Muscle Shoals. It looks like it is raining in Hohenwald as well. I think we are safe.
It has been very dry: the rain has been slow and will not run off but we are still very dry: thanks for all we get since my wife insists on "toting" the water to the tomatos and water mellons.

July 11th, 2012, 12:44 am #35

When the churches leaders no longer refute falsehood and no longer testify that the world is evil ........when leaders no longer say unless you repent you shall perish then the church grows ignorant, lazy and soft. Then along comes ACU and various "learned" men and women to provide artificial discipline in the form of small groups and prayer partners and disciple makers. Then comes buzz words like baptism of fire and other terms for things which are "discovered" by these various "learned" men and women.

The truth is a firm, strict by the Bible church of Christ would be making disciples, practicing discipline, and reaching out to the lost with the Gospel. We do not need these experts to discover what was lost (by the same progressive attitude) and remake it in the mindset of post modern anti-truth. The average person in the pews is being led around by the nose with this current crop of academic leaders.

The apostles doctrine has not changed since they gave it. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. The Lords people need to adhere to that which is written and turn not to the left or the right. Preach the word - nothing else!

Comments Welcome
They simply do not believe what the Word says especially in the Prophets and apostles. Peter left a "memory" of his eye and ear witness and warned that if anyone did not teach that they would be false teachers as there were false prophets. If the Word of the prophets was the standard from the beginning, the New Testament should be able to survive. The Pharisees made up their own dogma to PREVENT having to teach the Word. I don't believe that has changed. That means that they cannot comprehend just how evil they are if they take money to be Bible teachers and just "steal words one from another" in the words of Ezekiel.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
<font color="#FFFFFF">.....
baptizing them in the name of the Father,
.....and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them
.....to observe all things
.....whatsoever I have commanded you:
.....and, lo, I am with you alway,
.....even unto the end of the world. Amen.

And they make a profession out of saying that Jesus the Christ did not, command, example and infer as an absolute standard. Can they really not read Matthew 28?

Whatever they invent from a daisy chain of quoting their peers to become rich and famous, Jesus made it absolute that saying "Lord Lord and not doing what He commanded to do" means that Jesus will say "I don't even know your name. Depart."

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words,
.....hath one that judgeth him:
.....the word that I have spoken,
.....the same shall judge him in the last day.

Since many (a large number) is called but FEW (a tiny number) are chosen where chosen means "tested as by fire."

</font>Me too: any comments will be welcomed.
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on July 11th, 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B
B

July 11th, 2012, 2:32 pm #36

Donnie, first of all, there is still a major problem with this site as far as loading information and taking an extremely long time. Just thought you might want to get it checked out.

As some of you know, my youngest son attends ACU as a business major. The College of Business Administration at ACU is ranked among the top 20 business schools in the nation. It is a place of quality education based upon Christian principles. I have told him that the main reason for attending a university is to teach him how to think, that he will hear things that are new and different, but that he should use his brain, examine ideas and see if they fit within his own biblical principles. He is free to accept or reject each of the things that he is taught or will hear while in school.

In my opinion, an education without exploring new ideas or ways of doing things is not worth much. I would hope that those who might read this site would not think that everyone associated with Churches of Christ hold to one particular idea on any number of topics because such would be completely wrong.

I have visited extensively over the past couple of years with many of the "higher ups" at ACU. There has never been a hint that the school is looking to disassociate itself from Churches of Christ. Quite the opposite seems to be true. They value their heritage and look to build upon those traditions of exploring new ideas and thought processes to see if we can more fully reach the goal of being the first century church in a contemporary world. They fully understand that some aspects of the Summit are controversial, but they are topics that need to be explored because great interest among attendees has been expressed on these topics. They don't just make them up and see who will come.

As a University, each college or department within ACU is seeking to build a higher quality of education. The College of Business Administration is a clear example. Recently, a study showed that COBA graduate students receive employment around the US and the world at a higher and faster rate than any university in the US, including all Ivy League Schools. In addition, pre-med students at ACU are accepted into medical school at a rate of 85%, more than twice the national average. The pre-veterinarian program has a 100% acceptance rate at Texas A&M University Vet School, the only Vet school in Texas. No other Texas university (including Texas A&M) can make that claim. I could go on about other departments, but you get the picture. It is a quality school offering a quality education.
Earlier, a poster remarked that "there is still a major problem with this site as far as loading information and taking an extremely long time."

The expression "an extremely long time" is relative. Ten or 20 seconds for this site to load may, to some, seem like "an extremely long time"; people growl at the site owners and/or drag their machines in for an overhaul. After all, in this technological age where no one wants to wait for anything anymore, a few seconds seem like a lifetime to some folks. To others, however, a few seconds' loading time may be completely NORMAL. So, it's all relative. Personally on my computer, the Madison site loads in just a few seconds.

Removing viruses and other malware from one's computer always makes it respond faster.

Racnor
Racnor

July 11th, 2012, 7:31 pm #37

They simply do not believe what the Word says especially in the Prophets and apostles. Peter left a "memory" of his eye and ear witness and warned that if anyone did not teach that they would be false teachers as there were false prophets. If the Word of the prophets was the standard from the beginning, the New Testament should be able to survive. The Pharisees made up their own dogma to PREVENT having to teach the Word. I don't believe that has changed. That means that they cannot comprehend just how evil they are if they take money to be Bible teachers and just "steal words one from another" in the words of Ezekiel.

<font color="#FFFFFF">.....
baptizing them in the name of the Father,
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them
.....to observe all things
.....whatsoever I have commanded you:
.....and, lo, I am with you alway,
.....even unto the end of the world. Amen.

And they make a profession out of saying that Jesus the Christ did not, command, example and infer as an absolute standard. Can they really not read Matthew 28?

Whatever they invent from a daisy chain of quoting their peers to become rich and famous, Jesus made it absolute that saying "Lord Lord and not doing what He commanded to do" means that Jesus will say "I don't even know your name. Depart."

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words,
.....hath one that judgeth him:
.....the word that I have spoken,
.....the same shall judge him in the last day.

Since many (a large number) is called but FEW (a tiny number) are chosen where chosen means "tested as by fire."

</font>Me too: any comments will be welcomed.
.....baptizing them in the name of the Father,

Why does the coC not baptize in this way?

July 11th, 2012, 7:53 pm #38

In my long years I have heard only one person who baptized his daughter who understood that this is not a magical formula.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto ME in heaven and in earth.
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name [singular] of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Peter and the rest of the Bible and early church history understood the clear meaning.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Otherwise, you deny that the NAME of Jesus made to be Lord and Christ is God's full revelation of HIMself in contrast to the pagan "three people" family of gods

B
B

July 11th, 2012, 7:53 pm #39

.....baptizing them in the name of the Father,

Why does the coC not baptize in this way?
Church of Christ congregations baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. I was baptized that way.

July 11th, 2012, 8:13 pm #40

About half of them also think that Father, Son and Spirit are NAMES of people.

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly,
that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified
both Lord and Christ.

1Timothy 2:5 For there is one God,
and one mediator between God and men,
the man Christ Jesus

The first user of the word "trias" and all classical trinitarians and the Campbells who were not trinitarian (contrary to John Mark Hicks) identified the relationship just as did Jesus in John 12f and warned about "proverbs."

The one God the Father thinks
The Spirit is God's breath (clearly stated) and therefore Gods invisible, inaudible 'voice.'
Son or the personified Word articulates that Spirit without measure (meter) in SPOKEN WORDS and not singy-clappy-thingies.

The first Nicene said the same thing without making the Spirit OF (preposition) God a part of the ONE GOD and ONE MEDIATOR fact.

Father, Spirit, Son or often father, mother, daughter or son is refuted when the dove parable had the Father identify a Son as His messenger rather than the neo-trinitarian view of Mother, Daughter, word. Jesus was not confessed as a son until he was baptized to fulfill or "fully preach" baptism.

The ACU move to female pastor-teachers is clearly marked as mother goddess worship: Methodist feminists hold worship services for Sophia the female "wisdom" in Proverbs.