Winter battery plans?

Winter battery plans?

November 4th, 2016, 1:52 am #1

It's my first winter with a classic vehicle. I am curious - what are the pros/cons between leaving the battery in on a battery tender vs. removing it and just recharging it before the first Spring use?

Seems to me that if the battery's out, the risk of electrical fire in the truck goes to zero. Why wouldn't I go that route?

November 4th, 2016, 1:56 am #2

mine on a battery tender, ready to go in the spring.

November 4th, 2016, 1:14 pm #3

It's my first winter with a classic vehicle. I am curious - what are the pros/cons between leaving the battery in on a battery tender vs. removing it and just recharging it before the first Spring use?

Seems to me that if the battery's out, the risk of electrical fire in the truck goes to zero. Why wouldn't I go that route?
Rob,

If you have the space available (an out of the way place near an electrical receptacle) and can setup a battery tender/charging station that would be the best possible solution. You could use a small cart with a drip tray underneath the battery. This would just about eliminate any chances of a problem. No extension cords, no sitting the tender box on the fender, or inside the engine compartment, to scratch the paint, or fall down on something and short out.

November 5th, 2016, 1:05 pm #4

If one of the battery cables is disconnected, a well-charged battery will retain its charge for quite a while, and leaving a battery tender connected all winter is not really necessary. I have several old cars, and move the battery tender around from one vehicle to another. About 12 hours of trickle charging once a month or so seems to be enough.

2R6

November 5th, 2016, 8:25 pm #5

A battery has little or no activity at the freezing point and a lot of activity at room temp do its best to make sure your battery has a good charge in it when you put your car away . Always take cables off and if you do remove battery don't leave it on a concrete floor , this will ruin it over the winter . Personally I always leave them in the car unhooked and have never had a problem over the 30 years I've had old cars

November 6th, 2016, 1:12 am #6

I am liking the idea of leaving them in the vehicles, disconnected, and putting a Tender on once a month or so idea. I have the '49 Studebaker and a '57 Chevy, which will be wintering in two different garages, so this should work pretty well. Plus I avoid having to buy one of the expensive multi-battery tenders.

(I bought the Studie, inherited the Chevy - that may tell you something about my spending preferences...)