Which posi unit did Stude use in the '55-64 Dana 60?

Which posi unit did Stude use in the '55-64 Dana 60?

jack vines
jack vines

October 4th, 2011, 3:36 pm #1

My research indicates there are two main types of limited slip units for the old Dana 60. One is the Powr-Lok unit which has four pinions and two cross shafts. The other is a Twin-Trak which has two pinions and one cross shaft.

Just for information, there also exists a Detroit Locker unit which is more off-road/racing.

Has anyone ever had a Stude unit apart to confirm which was OEM?

jack vines

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

October 4th, 2011, 5:25 pm #2

Twin Traction didn't become available in 3/4-ton units until March 1959, midway through the 4E series.

jack vines
jack vines

October 5th, 2011, 3:09 pm #3

Thanks, Skip. Saves me trying anything built earlier. However, we all know how many parts have been swapped into earlier trucks.

jack vines

jack vines
jack vines

October 5th, 2011, 3:10 pm #4

Finally got it right

Peter
Peter

October 6th, 2011, 2:23 am #5

don't ask me the brand. I had to have some work done to it last year I thought I was going in for some minor repairs and it turned into major repairs.
Peter

Zane
Zane

October 6th, 2011, 4:13 am #6

Finally got it right
I believe it is a Power Lok. Thats what I put in mine, and from all pictures I have found, that look identical.

jack vines
jack vines

October 6th, 2011, 11:01 pm #7

My research indicates there are two main types of limited slip units for the old Dana 60. One is the Powr-Lok unit which has four pinions and two cross shafts. The other is a Twin-Trak which has two pinions and one cross shaft.

Just for information, there also exists a Detroit Locker unit which is more off-road/racing.

Has anyone ever had a Stude unit apart to confirm which was OEM?

jack vines
Anyone got one on the shelf?

jack vines

Dieseless Jim
Dieseless Jim

October 7th, 2011, 2:40 am #8

I saw one when we were moving the parts from SASCO. Might be in SI stock in South Bend. Jim

Zane
Zane

October 7th, 2011, 4:37 am #9

Anyone got one on the shelf?

jack vines
I think I got mine off of Craigslist or Ebay. It was pretty cheap if I recall. The biggest problem was finding one with 16 splines. I bought a new one with 30 splines and just thought that I would change the axles. It turns out that the 30 spline axles will not fit through the hole in the spindles of the differential on early Dana 60's. I then had to find a different Powr Lok with 16 splines and use my old axles.