Well the beast does run (kinda)

Well the beast does run (kinda)

June 1st, 2017, 12:13 am #1

After about 5 years my truck started for the first time today but only after I fixed my timing screw up.

I rebuilt the carburetor during the restoration and it was leaking like a sieve so much so that it would begin to keep speeding up and I would have to shut it down.

Well obviously I didn't do the best job of rebuilding it and I knew that the shaft had a lot of wear on it but gas seemed to be coming from every where but the beast did run!

Has anyone got a good condition Carter BBR-1 (ya fat chance I know) or has anyone use the after market holly 1 barrel replacement carbs? If so let me know your thoughts and if you do have a usable carburetor I could buy from you by all means please let me know that too ASAP!

Keith

June 1st, 2017, 1:51 am #2

Keith: do you have a champion or Commander engine. I may have a carburetor for you. I do not recommend the Holly and the reason is in my experience it floods to easily.

June 1st, 2017, 3:27 pm #3

After about 5 years my truck started for the first time today but only after I fixed my timing screw up.

I rebuilt the carburetor during the restoration and it was leaking like a sieve so much so that it would begin to keep speeding up and I would have to shut it down.

Well obviously I didn't do the best job of rebuilding it and I knew that the shaft had a lot of wear on it but gas seemed to be coming from every where but the beast did run!

Has anyone got a good condition Carter BBR-1 (ya fat chance I know) or has anyone use the after market holly 1 barrel replacement carbs? If so let me know your thoughts and if you do have a usable carburetor I could buy from you by all means please let me know that too ASAP!

Keith
It's been a long road travelled. Would you do it again?

June 1st, 2017, 5:15 pm #4

If it weren't that it was my Grandfathers I would look for one in a little better shape to begin with.

Really when you see a lot of these that have been gone through selling for $9,000-$15,000 I think that you really need to make some hard decisions like how about one in just so so shape that runs that you could just drive till it falls apart or one already done that someone is just tired of.

For what I have in my truck I could never sell it and hope to recover very much (but then that was never my plan being my Grandfathers truck). It seems a real nice Studebaker truck that is fairly stock and well restored is only worth around 10-12K tops to most people.

So would I do what I did again then yes! Would I do another then no!
Keith