Well the 4E1 has been running since September but

Well the 4E1 has been running since September but

February 10th, 2018, 11:51 pm #1

After sitting a day or so it becomes very hard to start again. I can keep cranking it for a couple minutes then stop and try again several times all the while fiddling with the choke.

I installed and inline fuel pump thinking this was all behind me but it is still happening! Yes the pump I installed is a full flow pump and will pass gasoline even if not running. I can see gasoline in the fuel pump bowl and at a filter I have inline just before the fuel pump but it acts like it isn't getting fuel (new fuel pump too)

I can hear the pump run figuring this would prime every thing up but it still can take forever to get it to run. Doesn't matter if it is warm or cool outside still the same issue.

Any ideas out there,? It's a bit embarrassing to have people look at me like I don't even know how to start a truck --- hey maybe I don't!

Thanks in advance
Keith

February 11th, 2018, 12:36 am #2

That's always the first question.

Do you hear the in-line electric pump change tone as the float fills and cuts off flow?

Is there any fuel trickling into the carb when not cranking?

jack vines

February 11th, 2018, 1:10 am #3

After sitting a day or so it becomes very hard to start again. I can keep cranking it for a couple minutes then stop and try again several times all the while fiddling with the choke.

I installed and inline fuel pump thinking this was all behind me but it is still happening! Yes the pump I installed is a full flow pump and will pass gasoline even if not running. I can see gasoline in the fuel pump bowl and at a filter I have inline just before the fuel pump but it acts like it isn't getting fuel (new fuel pump too)

I can hear the pump run figuring this would prime every thing up but it still can take forever to get it to run. Doesn't matter if it is warm or cool outside still the same issue.

Any ideas out there,? It's a bit embarrassing to have people look at me like I don't even know how to start a truck --- hey maybe I don't!

Thanks in advance
Keith
I have flow thru electric pumps (Airtex)for priming,on all my old stuff, almost a necessity when these vintage cars have sat at all. I think todays fuels evaporate more easily that the real gas of yesteryear.

1. Once I prime with the Airtex, I floor the gas pedal several times to give a couple good shots of gas into those hungry cylinders. (of course check as Jack mentioned to see if the accel pump is doing anything). I have a big ol' V8 in another vintage car (390 cubes) and it takes a good 3-4 pumps to get enough gas into the manifold to evaporate and charge the cyls)
2. Be sure you are giving some throttle, like 1/4 of the way. A closed throttle will not allow any air in at all and the fuel will not ignite
3. Double check to be sure the choke flap actually closes all the way when cable pulled out
4. Got an inline spark tester? Might wanna be sure you are getting a good spark, or pull the coil wire from the dizzy and be sure you have a good blue spark to ground. Yellow or orange are very weak and may not make the jump

February 11th, 2018, 2:09 am #4

Thanks in advance
Keith
Keith: you have gotten some good advice already, and good questions asked.

As you know two things in particular make an engine run, fuel and spark. When both are present and all else is in order you will hear nois under the hood and the tail pipe.

These old vehicles do present some challenges for a lot of reasons we will not mention here.
If you have a hand choke it is a good idea not to fiddle with it but pull it out until the engine fires. If you are quick enough pushing it in the engine may stay running. If this does not work you are possibly not getting gas. It does not take a lot of dirt in the inlet needle and seat to make them stick shut. The bowl fills with fuel and a piece of residue locks the needle closed where it will stay until the dirt is dislodged.

Another thing happens when these trucks sit, and this may not be applicable because usually the engine will start but die right away at idle. That is insects. They get in the vent hole of the carburator and will stop up the jets.

The first thing I would do is pull the line at the carburator and place a hose on the end and drain into a jar or can to keep from spilling fuel. Then turn on the electric fuel pump. If you get fuel there is likely somethig in the carburator.

The next thing I would do is pour a small amount of gas in the carburator and try starting the engine. If it runs there is something in the carburator.

Item number three would be to check my points. Sitting does cause points to corrode. This corrosion will not allow electricity to flow to ground to complete the circuit causing spark from the coil.

Cleaning the points will cure this.

Lastly If you don't know how to start a truck you will learn. The personality of these old pieces of iron must be learned, we have all been there.

February 11th, 2018, 10:09 pm #5

I'll start working on all these great ideas on Monday -- Thanks everyone

February 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm #6

Re: I'll start working on all these great ideas on Monday -- Thanks everyone

February 15th, 2018, 4:39 am #7

Keith: you have gotten some good advice already, and good questions asked.

As you know two things in particular make an engine run, fuel and spark. When both are present and all else is in order you will hear nois under the hood and the tail pipe.

These old vehicles do present some challenges for a lot of reasons we will not mention here.
If you have a hand choke it is a good idea not to fiddle with it but pull it out until the engine fires. If you are quick enough pushing it in the engine may stay running. If this does not work you are possibly not getting gas. It does not take a lot of dirt in the inlet needle and seat to make them stick shut. The bowl fills with fuel and a piece of residue locks the needle closed where it will stay until the dirt is dislodged.

Another thing happens when these trucks sit, and this may not be applicable because usually the engine will start but die right away at idle. That is insects. They get in the vent hole of the carburator and will stop up the jets.

The first thing I would do is pull the line at the carburator and place a hose on the end and drain into a jar or can to keep from spilling fuel. Then turn on the electric fuel pump. If you get fuel there is likely somethig in the carburator.

The next thing I would do is pour a small amount of gas in the carburator and try starting the engine. If it runs there is something in the carburator.

Item number three would be to check my points. Sitting does cause points to corrode. This corrosion will not allow electricity to flow to ground to complete the circuit causing spark from the coil.

Cleaning the points will cure this.

Lastly If you don't know how to start a truck you will learn. The personality of these old pieces of iron must be learned, we have all been there.
Choke is shutting all the way

Put about a tablespoon of gas down the carburetor and it started right up! Ted I think you told me that if it did this there is something inside the carburetor causing the issue guess I need to pull it and find out what. Kinda of surprised me as I had put in a new set of gaskets and accelerator pump after I got it so didn't think there would be much else to do.
Keith