Towing truck

Towing truck

November 8th, 2016, 9:28 pm #1

Ok guys, the time has come to tow this truck closer to where I live so I don't have to drive so far to work on it. Other than taking off the driveshaft--is there anything else I need to think about? I am renting a towing dolly that lifts the front two wheels off the ground and the rear two spin on the road of course.

Thanks,
Jeff

November 8th, 2016, 9:49 pm #2

Make sure there is lube in the rear axle. Have you greased the rear wheel bearings?

November 8th, 2016, 10:06 pm #3

yes, I have taken completely re-done the rear axles. So, this is a 58 Transtar 3/4th ton---so I need to make sure I have differential fluid in the rear diff then I assume?

November 8th, 2016, 10:41 pm #4

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting it's a 3/4 ton. Never mind what I said about the rear axle bearings.

November 8th, 2016, 11:07 pm #5

Make sure there is lube in the rear axle. Have you greased the rear wheel bearings?
TIRES!

November 8th, 2016, 11:42 pm #6

Ok guys, the time has come to tow this truck closer to where I live so I don't have to drive so far to work on it. Other than taking off the driveshaft--is there anything else I need to think about? I am renting a towing dolly that lifts the front two wheels off the ground and the rear two spin on the road of course.

Thanks,
Jeff
Back in the day, when we used Stude 3/4T rear ends in race cars, we'd pull the axles when flat-towing on the highway. Then, the gears didn't have to spin so fast.

jack vines

November 9th, 2016, 2:22 am #7

be sure it's legal to tow that way. up here in the north east you can only tow a registered car or truck on a dolly.if you use a uhall trailer you'll be much happier. it's only $59.00 for the day.a small price to pay for alot less work.a Chinese come a long is 20 bucks. Good Luck!

November 9th, 2016, 2:52 am #8

...be it a trailer or car or truck, it's supposed to be registered. You can't even park on a public road.
I'm with Bill, a trailer can be a lot easier. U-Haul trailers are very well designed with the consumer in mind.

November 9th, 2016, 2:09 pm #9

Thanks,
Jeff
Ok, so I have been receiving different thoughts about towing on a dolly versus putting on a UHaul trailer---I did some checking last night with UHaul and either one will work with them. Here is a question though---the trailer weighs about 1800 lbs dry---how much does everyone think the body of my truck weighs without the engine, radiator, gas tank, etc?

I am trying to get a read on how many pounds I will be towing with my truck. This summer I had a full load of sod in a trailer and also had the back box of my truck full and pulled it with ease.

Any help is appreciated!

November 9th, 2016, 3:17 pm #10

They're not going to rent you the trailer unless your tow vehicle has the capacity to handle the load. Surely they must have some guidelines.

November 9th, 2016, 3:37 pm #11

I did talk to them and when they had me on the phone I explained to them that this vehicle is bare bones at this point with no engine, radiator, etc. They said when I decide to rent to put in a couple of different vehicles to get it past the restriction because it is not actually a full blown 58 Stude pickup I am hauling--it is a shell.

November 9th, 2016, 6:31 pm #12

jeff what's your truck? !/2 ton,3/4 one ton? 1/2 ton may be a problem on hills 3/4 ton with a v8 is a no brainer. if you have a dakota or s10 don't do it. because it won't eiter

November 22nd, 2016, 6:43 pm #13

Unless you have a good 3/4 ton truck pulling the trailer, rent both from UHaul 1-way.