Speaker Grill Cloth

Speaker Grill Cloth

February 9th, 2018, 7:37 pm #1

Anyone know what color and texture/pattern cloth was used for a M Speaker grill?

February 9th, 2018, 7:51 pm #2

I have a piece of NOS at home but it is dusty from sitting on the shelf I suppose. At 70+ years old I'm not sure that it will look like new even after blowing it out. I'll try to get a picture of it this weekend with something in the frame for reference so you can see the density of the weave. If I had to guess I'd go with it just being galvanized steel at a particular strand-per-inch but I have no idea if it was as shiny as new screen you get at the hardware store. A guy who might know the answer or might know who would know the answer is Richard Quinn.

February 9th, 2018, 7:55 pm #3

Anyone know what color and texture/pattern cloth was used for a M Speaker grill?
.....fine metal mesh behind the grill. It was painted the same color as the grill and if I recall correctly, it looked as if the grill was painted after the mesh was installed then assembled to the instrument board. The chrome plated grill that I have in my M5 came from a car. It's grill was the same metal mesh but was unpainted. I can only assume those pieces were original.

February 10th, 2018, 2:31 am #4

From a car and it had a cloth between the metal mesh screen and the grill but it was so decomposed that I couldn't tell the color or if it had a pattern...

February 10th, 2018, 2:31 am #5

From a car and it had a cloth between the metal mesh screen and the grill but it was so decomposed that I couldn't tell the color or if it had a pattern...

February 24th, 2018, 3:10 am #6

Here are a couple shots of some NOS speaker grille screen. I tested it with a magnet. It's ferric-based screen. It appears to have some sort of fuzz coating and, honestly, I can't tell if it was like that new, deteriorated to that state, or gathered that over the last 70 years.