Rims (Truckdog??)

Rims (Truckdog??)

February 13th, 2018, 8:31 pm #1

From Vern:

Guy bought the truck and can’t find wheels. Has 7.50 x 17 tires. It is M 15 series, not sure of year

February 14th, 2018, 1:37 am #2

Anybody that thinks they have old truck wheel challenges should thank their lucky stars they don’t have this problem. The early M15s having demountable spoke wheels used 17” outer rims. The most common rim used was the Firestone RI design having the solid unbroken outer locking side ring, as is in your second picture. Finding a parts truck is probably the most viable source for replacement rims, and a source for the missing rim clamps.

When I first read your question I hoped that a rim from a more common Budd type 17” wheel, probably the Budd #44820 of that era, could donate a rim after having its center disc pulled. But unfortunately, as the below charts show, the 17” x 4.33” RI rim is Firestone #149RI-4 while the RH Budd style outer rim is #149RH. The differences are in the mounting surfaces where the rims meet their mounting points. The RI, like all demountable applications, has a 28° mounting surface while the RH has a 48° angle. Perhaps a skilled machinist could add metal and recreate the 28° angle on the RH, but that I think is a stretch.

I also looked in the current Accuride and Hayes-Lemmerz (Kelsey-Hayes) on-line catalogs and confirmed my recall that no 17” demountable rims, or their equivalent 19.5” tubeless equals, are today being produced. I’m afraid I’m at a loss to see other solutions. But as a friend says, “some must die so others can live”. Stu

February 14th, 2018, 2:26 am #3

From Vern:

Guy bought the truck and can’t find wheels. Has 7.50 x 17 tires. It is M 15 series, not sure of year

Vern as Stu said the best idea may be to find a parts truck. I have only seen one other M series with that type of Hub and rim. and they may be very difficult to find. So I may have the answer for your friend. I am in the process of restoring a 2R15. I am replacing the axles and wheels with those of a 1964 trailer Toter. The 2R15 front and rear axles along with the complete brake system which is brand new with no miles. There is 6 rims. 4 of them have good mud and snow tires and the front rims have each a brand new 7:50 tire with no miles.
I also have two other rims with decent tires. It will take away some from the originality of the truck but it will look like most other M 15. It may be though I have never tried that the drums will interchange and prevent the need for the axles. but the brakes may not fully interchange without replacing the backing plates. If he is interested. have him call me.

February 14th, 2018, 2:57 am #4

I sent him an email, the main thing he wants to do now is get it home, what you have would be way to go as i have only ever seen one truck at a farm sale 12 years ago with those wheels, for some reason i remmembered them as 16 in but must have been 17, it had duals on it

February 14th, 2018, 3:18 am #5

I’ve had these pics archived forever. No idea who or where. Stu

February 15th, 2018, 6:38 am #6

From Vern:

That would be a 1941 or 1942 M15. Both the 41's and 42's used the Dayton cast spoke wheels. They do use the type R1 rims. They were available in two widths, 5" and 6". The 5" rims are part no. 665499 and the 6" rims are part no. 665872. They both us the same locking ring, part no. 665873. The front rim clamps are part no. 636342. I agree that finding these will be VERY difficult, if not impossible short of finding a doner truck. The only person that may have any thing for this might be Robert Kapteyn, phone no. 815-212-2389. I believe that he may have the rim clamps, I saw a few different ones last time that I was at his place. I doubt that he'd have the rims though. Good Luck.

Roger List

February 15th, 2018, 2:00 pm #7

The 17” x 5” (3.75”) does not use the same side ring as the 6” (4.33”). The charts I posted show Firestone #SR151RI for the 5” (3.75”) and SR149RI for the 6” (4.33”.) The diagrams themselves show different dimensions for each. I’ve also run across this difference in my parts research for my Ford friends on their early one tons, and in my own wheel inventory. I have a 20” x 3.75” ring that I picked up in a yard hoping it would fit my NOS 20” x 4.33” wheel that is missing its ring. When I got it back to the shop it was visually smaller that a 4.33”, and putting the caliper to it gave the proof. If the Studebaker references state otherwise it’s a misprint, which is not uncommon in old parts catalogs. Stu

February 15th, 2018, 5:32 pm #8

I was kind of wondering about that. I was using a parts book dated 1952 and it has a note that the lock ring for the 5" rim is no longer available and to use the ring for the 6" rim.
Roger List

February 15th, 2018, 8:59 pm #9

The 6” RI ring has a taller profile than the 5”. Does that matter? I don’t know. My references are primarily from wheel and rim manufacturers and retailers. Budd, K-H, Motor Wheel, Firestone, and Goodyear. I’ll say that all (without going one-by-one through eight full three ring binders) contain language that cautions against mix matching rim/ring designs or widths within the same design family. The lawyers have gotten much bolder over the years with their admonitions. But I know in practice it was done, and not always with catastrophic results. I have a wheel in my shop that has a Goodyear rim and a Firestone RI 5” ring that has no doubt been there for many decades. I won’t sell it until I find it a correct ring, but somebody years ago didn’t worry about it. Stu

March 13th, 2018, 1:50 pm #10

Vern as Stu said the best idea may be to find a parts truck. I have only seen one other M series with that type of Hub and rim. and they may be very difficult to find. So I may have the answer for your friend. I am in the process of restoring a 2R15. I am replacing the axles and wheels with those of a 1964 trailer Toter. The 2R15 front and rear axles along with the complete brake system which is brand new with no miles. There is 6 rims. 4 of them have good mud and snow tires and the front rims have each a brand new 7:50 tire with no miles.
I also have two other rims with decent tires. It will take away some from the originality of the truck but it will look like most other M 15. It may be though I have never tried that the drums will interchange and prevent the need for the axles. but the brakes may not fully interchange without replacing the backing plates. If he is interested. have him call me.
Ted - I am looking for a set of inserted connecting rods for a 226 cu in inline 6 cyl Studebaker engine. Want them for spares for my existing engine, but thought you might know of some.
Don