Radiator

Radiator

November 16th, 2016, 4:04 pm #1

Ok, finally have a price on fixing my radiator. Seems the core was shot. I have two options--1 is to use the tanks off of mine and then the guy will put a new core in--price is $525. Second is to have a new aluminum radiator put in place of the old one--all the brackets, fill neck, etc. would be the same after some work done to it--price is $475. I really don't like either option in terms of price. I know I have heard of much cheaper options--and as usual I am new to this sort of thing so need advice---what do I have to look at when getting a new radiator? I know Kim mentioned $150 for a radiator--I know I would lose the "look" with that but what else do I have to consider?

Thx

November 16th, 2016, 7:59 pm #2

Ya it was pricy, but I used my orig. tanks & had a modern high flow core put in, could not be happier. Never goes over 180, even in stop & go traffic @ 100 degrees outside.

November 17th, 2016, 1:09 am #3

Ok, finally have a price on fixing my radiator. Seems the core was shot. I have two options--1 is to use the tanks off of mine and then the guy will put a new core in--price is $525. Second is to have a new aluminum radiator put in place of the old one--all the brackets, fill neck, etc. would be the same after some work done to it--price is $475. I really don't like either option in terms of price. I know I have heard of much cheaper options--and as usual I am new to this sort of thing so need advice---what do I have to look at when getting a new radiator? I know Kim mentioned $150 for a radiator--I know I would lose the "look" with that but what else do I have to consider?

Thx
Jeff I have a clean rad you may want. needs new filler lip swetted on. bought this 49 2r15 with 52 v8 in it for parts only. I'm in Bagley MN on Hwy 2. $200. Call me... Terry 218 766 three136.

November 17th, 2016, 4:51 pm #4

I have a few rad done they charge me 100.00 per core , in that rad you can go up to 4 cores

November 17th, 2016, 5:19 pm #5

Thx
Not sure what truck you're getting the radiator for so this may not apply. I put an aluminum radiator for a Chevelle in my '59. It was less than 200 bucks on ebay; it is a champion radiator model ae289. I had the room to bolt it to the back of the existing radiator support though if you needed to you could trim the mounting flanges off one side and it would fit in the support and I think there would be enough room at the top to get the cap off and fill. Here are some pics:

November 17th, 2016, 6:51 pm #6

I have a Transtar as well--259 V8 engine.

No problems with overheating or anything?

November 18th, 2016, 3:47 am #7

I also used the GM radiator in my 54 3R11. 289 bored to 3.75, 320ci. Leaving Glendale Az. after the national meet, towing a 25 ft. rv, north on I 17, 107 degrees out side, ac on. Engine temp was 195 pulling the 7 percent grade. Did need to use the electric fuel pump.

November 18th, 2016, 5:12 pm #8

I have a Transtar as well--259 V8 engine.

No problems with overheating or anything?
I've only had the radiator in for a few months but no issues so far. My truck was originally a 6 cylinder that the previous owner put a 283 chevy into. They had left the old 6 cylinder radiator in there and I had some issues with it keeping the truck cool in traffic or sitting at red lights so I swapped to this one. It seems to keep it cool with no fan shroud. The radiator I used also has an option for a dual 12" electric fan and shroud combination which I didn't purchase but was nice to know it was available if I needed more cooling down the road.

November 18th, 2016, 7:58 pm #9

For some reason I can't remember but does it matter on the lower radiator hose which side the outlet is on in regards to the radiator? I found one that will work but the lower hose outlet is on the drivers side compared to mine that is on the passenger side.

Thanks,
Jeff

November 18th, 2016, 8:02 pm #10

I just looked and figured it out---the water manifold comes out on that side so yeah, has to be there.