Quality Cowpasture (condenser)

Quality Cowpasture (condenser)

November 8th, 2016, 2:55 am #1

Looking for a place to purchase quality distributor points condenser/capacitor. I bought and installed a condenser from SI and it didn't last more than a couple of months.

Returning home today from town MPH started missing and sputtering. Barely made it home and didn't have enough poop to get up the driveway. Pulled the distributor and put a capacitor checker on it and couldn't get a null on the eye tube. Wiggled the condenser wire and the null came in and out. Will installed the distributor tomorrow with a used condenser.

November 8th, 2016, 6:40 am #2

November 8th, 2016, 11:37 am #3

I often wondered what the common mode of failure was.

November 8th, 2016, 2:12 pm #4

I first tested the bad condenser it had a high leakage above 50 volts. When I wiggled the wire into the condenser it got better. Looks to me they are cutting corners on the manufacturing process. I'll be looking for a suitable replacement to fit into the existing can. I do this with radio restorations all the time. I gut the can and install into it modern capacitors. This is usually easy to do as modern capacitors are usually smaller.

November 8th, 2016, 9:49 pm #5

Looking for a place to purchase quality distributor points condenser/capacitor. I bought and installed a condenser from SI and it didn't last more than a couple of months.

Returning home today from town MPH started missing and sputtering. Barely made it home and didn't have enough poop to get up the driveway. Pulled the distributor and put a capacitor checker on it and couldn't get a null on the eye tube. Wiggled the condenser wire and the null came in and out. Will installed the distributor tomorrow with a used condenser.
We just had one fail in the 63 Daytona R2. The wire was loose also. It was purchased from NAPA or Auto Zone. Guess they all are made in the same place.

November 8th, 2016, 11:52 pm #6

Found this article and first tried the bosch capacitor. Did not last. I have since installed the illinois capacitor listed and my truck has never run better. Easy to install. One lead attached to the points side of the coil and the other to a screw nearby for ground.

November 9th, 2016, 1:09 am #7

We just had one fail in the 63 Daytona R2. The wire was loose also. It was purchased from NAPA or Auto Zone. Guess they all are made in the same place.
up the bad condenser and found that the manufacturer relied on the compression of the assembled crimped assembly to make the electrical connections. Aluminum foil of the capacitor to the inside of the can and terminal soldered to the wire terminal. I did notice that the wire poking through the terminal is not flat and poked into the foil of the capacitor, surprised that it didn't short out immediately when it was assembled. Lots of black stuff from where it arced. Who relies on a non-gas tight connection between aluminum and plated steel or solder? Terrible design.

November 13th, 2016, 11:51 am #8

Many thanks for the 'interesting' tech info, & web link.... I'll try it out sometime,,have also passed it on to interested friends...cheers