Production order for 6E40

Production order for 6E40

Zane
Zane

December 14th, 2011, 5:10 am #1

I received the production order for my 6E40. No real shocking or interesting information other than where it was sent. I have been to Mount Shasta, California many times and never knew there was a Studebaker dealer there. The PO says BRUNOS. I found that there is a Bruno's Garage still in Mt. Shasta. I have a phone number and will give them a jingle to see if there is anyone there old enough to remember a Studebaker.

My biggest question is what the heck would someone in Mt. Shasta use a 2 ton Studebaker truck with a 195" wheelbase for. County use possibly?

I wish it still had the original HD 289 with the 4 bbl. in it. The guy I got it from stated that it went belly up years ago and was scrapped. I was surprised that it only had a 4 speed in it instead of a 5 speed. I picked up a standard 289 with a 5 speed that will go in it eventually. It has a Chevy 350 in it now.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

December 14th, 2011, 1:31 pm #2

My 4E40 was similarly equipped when new, though with the 171" WB and a flat bed dump body for hauling grain. It now has a replacement cloverleaf 289 and 5-spd OD trans. But those rear axle ratios are a killer on the highway. I can't imagine ever needing a 9.09 ratio!

Gary Hearn
Gary Hearn

December 14th, 2011, 3:35 pm #3

Skip,

I agree, the high end ratio of 6:61 may be lower than the low side on a modern 2 speed rear.

Gary

vern ediger
vern ediger

December 14th, 2011, 10:43 pm #4

6.5 area was a common ratio in the 60s and 70s for a farm truck, put 225 to 250 [ 14000 to 16000 lb] bushels of wheat on in a soft field and you will want the 9 to 1 on the low side, for sure if you have a 4sp trans.

jack vines
jack vines

December 15th, 2011, 1:20 am #5

I received the production order for my 6E40. No real shocking or interesting information other than where it was sent. I have been to Mount Shasta, California many times and never knew there was a Studebaker dealer there. The PO says BRUNOS. I found that there is a Bruno's Garage still in Mt. Shasta. I have a phone number and will give them a jingle to see if there is anyone there old enough to remember a Studebaker.

My biggest question is what the heck would someone in Mt. Shasta use a 2 ton Studebaker truck with a 195" wheelbase for. County use possibly?

I wish it still had the original HD 289 with the 4 bbl. in it. The guy I got it from stated that it went belly up years ago and was scrapped. I was surprised that it only had a 4 speed in it instead of a 5 speed. I picked up a standard 289 with a 5 speed that will go in it eventually. It has a Chevy 350 in it now.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

Nice old truck. It was probably used for moving a small tractor or crawler for light earthmoving.

For the most part, either a 5-speed with single speed axle or 4-speed/2-speed was standard. I don't know I've ever seen a 5-speed/2-speed Stude production order.

jack vines

Zane
Zane

December 15th, 2011, 2:34 am #6

Jack, here is my 7E28 production order. This was a grain truck in Eastern Oregon.

Zane
Zane

December 15th, 2011, 2:43 am #7

My 4E40 was similarly equipped when new, though with the 171" WB and a flat bed dump body for hauling grain. It now has a replacement cloverleaf 289 and 5-spd OD trans. But those rear axle ratios are a killer on the highway. I can't imagine ever needing a 9.09 ratio!
I think the ratio will be a bit slow, but I think that it was probably ordered that way due to the Mountainous area that surrounds Mt. Shasta. If it were heading into Oregon from there it would have to go over the Siskiyou Pass, which is 4310 feet. While not a high elevation, it is pretty steep in places and gets a lot of snow.

I am hoping that the 5 speed OD that I am going to install in it will help a little. With emphasis on little. I am not sure what the ratio is on my OD. I think that there are different OD's with a 17% and a 25% reduction in rpm's?

vern ediger
vern ediger

December 15th, 2011, 3:30 am #8

Nice old truck. It was probably used for moving a small tractor or crawler for light earthmoving.

For the most part, either a 5-speed with single speed axle or 4-speed/2-speed was standard. I don't know I've ever seen a 5-speed/2-speed Stude production order.

jack vines
I had an E40 that came from texas farm country. It had a 5 [ direct] and 2. I think it had a6.14 ratio on the hi side. had 9.00 on the rear 8.25 front. it ended up on the east coast about 10 yrs ago. it was on the cover of turning wheels about 10 yrs ago. some body may know the truck. it was red and white with a 16 ft bed and twin cyl hoist on the out side of the frame. the 5 over works good with a 2 spd axle, you can split shift axle in 3rd and 4th to get away from big jump between 3rd and 4th. [3 hi to 4 low, 4 low to 4 hi , 4 hi to 5 low]

Jim Mackey
Jim Mackey

December 15th, 2011, 5:37 am #9

jack vines
My E45 was shipped with a 5 speed direct and a 2 speed rear to Portland,Or.

Gary Hearn
Gary Hearn

December 15th, 2011, 5:04 pm #10

jack vines
Jack,

I currently have a 1964 Bock trailer toter that has a 5 speed overdrive transmission with a 2 speed rear end. It is an 8E-28 model.

I also have a 1957 3E-40 flatbed that came out of Texas that has a 5 speed direct and a 2 speed rear.

Bo Markham has a 1958 3E-40 grain truck that I sold him that was originally from western Kansas. It was equipped with a 5 speed overdrive transmission and 2 speed rear.

I also had a 1963 8E-40 cab and chassis that had a 195" WH. The truck had a 5 speed OD and a single speed rear (6:60 if I recall). It also had 10.00 x 20 rubber and fender flares and cab grab handles. I sold it to Mark Brians in Texas a number of years ago.

My 1955 E-38 had a 4 speed with 2 speed rear while my 1961 6E28 has a 4 speed and single speed rear.

Gary

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 15th, 2011, 5:38 pm #11

If you were in a field, what in the world would you need more than first gear for? How fast would you go by the time you were in 5-1 or 5-2? Kind of amazing to me.

Zane
Zane

December 15th, 2011, 6:48 pm #12

It depends on how fast a combine might be travelling. They will be harvesting and dumping grain out the auger at the same time while the truck drives beside the combine.

vern ediger
vern ediger

December 15th, 2011, 11:45 pm #13

If you were in a field, what in the world would you need more than first gear for? How fast would you go by the time you were in 5-1 or 5-2? Kind of amazing to me.
in the field is lowest you have

george o
george o

December 16th, 2011, 1:52 am #14

Jack,

I currently have a 1964 Bock trailer toter that has a 5 speed overdrive transmission with a 2 speed rear end. It is an 8E-28 model.

I also have a 1957 3E-40 flatbed that came out of Texas that has a 5 speed direct and a 2 speed rear.

Bo Markham has a 1958 3E-40 grain truck that I sold him that was originally from western Kansas. It was equipped with a 5 speed overdrive transmission and 2 speed rear.

I also had a 1963 8E-40 cab and chassis that had a 195" WH. The truck had a 5 speed OD and a single speed rear (6:60 if I recall). It also had 10.00 x 20 rubber and fender flares and cab grab handles. I sold it to Mark Brians in Texas a number of years ago.

My 1955 E-38 had a 4 speed with 2 speed rear while my 1961 6E28 has a 4 speed and single speed rear.

Gary
Don't know about the 1958 e40 with the add on tag

Merry Christmas

take care

george o

Steve SW Pa.
Steve SW Pa.

December 16th, 2011, 12:32 pm #15

My E 45 came with 5 direct and 5.29 axle. Dealer switched gears in transmission to 5th over. Truck was over the road for ten years untill I bought and put a dump on it. This gearing was way too tall for my work. Next a 2 speed at 8.86 low and 6.48 high with 8:25 rubber. This was ideal till I retired it. Then I put a 3 speed Brownie with a over .69 to 1:00. Really runs great with this gearing now.

Gary Hearn
Gary Hearn

December 16th, 2011, 6:46 pm #16

Don't know about the 1958 e40 with the add on tag

Merry Christmas

take care

george o
I owned both these trucks prior to George, the 1960 has a 195" WB. The 1957 tandem is equipped with a 4 speed and 2 speed rear. In its prior lives it was owned by both Chuck Naugle and Steve Blake (arkiejazz).