M5 sheet metal assembly question

M5 sheet metal assembly question

Bob W
Bob W

November 12th, 2011, 8:43 pm #1

I'm putting together the front end of my M5. Something does not seem right. Shame on me for not taking enough pictures when I took it all apart during a 3-day frenzy of wrenches, Kroil, power drills, and hacksaws.

This is a picture of the driver's side. The center piece that holds the headlight bucket looks like it wants to sit inboard of the inner fender at the top, and outboard of it at the bottom.

Here's another angle showing where the panel changes between being inside the inner fender to outside of it. Again, this is the driver's side. (And yes, that's a conventional shock).

When I do it the way that seems right to me (outboard of the inner fender), a captured nut on the back side is in the way and the panel doesn't flow into the cab where they meet.

Which way should it go?

Thanks,

Bob

Bruce TenHoeve
Bruce TenHoeve

November 13th, 2011, 6:24 pm #2

Bob,just checked my M5 in the shop....the flange is inside of the fender well so it pinches the fender between the flange and the narrow headlight "strip",hope that helps

ps would love to have some details on your build,as I am still cutting out rusty corners etc

regards ,Bruce

Bob W
Bob W

November 14th, 2011, 1:55 pm #3

Thanks, Bruce.

The pieces really wanted to go that way and looked like they had been that way before but I just wanted to be sure. It would be an awful lot of wrench spinning only to discover it had to all come apart. It will, certainly, all have to come apart at some point. I'd like that to be because some body work is getting done, not because I put it together wrong!

I'll post some pictures when I get a couple more pieces attached.

Bob