m5 and m15 frames and cab, same?

m5 and m15 frames and cab, same?

November 19th, 2016, 10:49 pm #1

hi guys, i am trying to start on a 46 m15A project, getting very discouraged finding parts/info on it. the cabs look the same on the m5 which have many more parts/info on em. would like to find out if frames are same also, that way i can update suspension ALOT easier. any help is greatly appreciatted. think it'll be awesome to redo but keep hitting walls, can't even find rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders, UGH!!! thanx

November 20th, 2016, 3:45 am #2

....the 1 ton version of the smaller M5 1/2 ton pickup. Good news is the sheet metal is the same. With some exceptions, particularly fenders, the cabs and front end sheet metal for the larger M-16 trucks are the same as well. Frames are a different matter. The M5 half ton frames are lighter and of course smaller than the 1 ton M15 and the M16 frames are larger yet. People have re-worked the 1 ton frames, installing 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton components from other vehicles. Lots of work though. Updating requires an engineering sense and lots of ambition.

So where's all the help? Right here on this forum. Ask a specific question and you'll get answers from people who know. At the top of the page, when working correctly, is a search button. There are 15 plus years of posts on just about every subject so when it turns back on, type in a few appropriate search words or a phrase such as 'M15 brake parts' and start reading.

Parts can be a problem but certainly not impossible to find. Again ask here and somebody will surely point you in the right direction. Brake parts? Again ask here.

If you have not already done so, I suggest you join the Studebaker Driver's club. The monthly magazine alone is well worth the price as it contains advertising from most of the major and many of the minor parts and services suppliers. www.studebakerdriversclub.com

Good Luck and keep posting.

November 20th, 2016, 5:55 am #3

forget the parts and service manuals. They can be a ton of help comparing differences between M5, M15, M15A, M16, and M17.

November 20th, 2016, 9:52 pm #4

hi guys, i am trying to start on a 46 m15A project, getting very discouraged finding parts/info on it. the cabs look the same on the m5 which have many more parts/info on em. would like to find out if frames are same also, that way i can update suspension ALOT easier. any help is greatly appreciatted. think it'll be awesome to redo but keep hitting walls, can't even find rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders, UGH!!! thanx
To add to the above:
Can't tell from your posting if you are just trying to find parts from your local auto parts stores or if you are aware of other sources. As noted above, SDC has a wide array of info and sources of info. The SDC website lists dozens of other websites focused on Stude vehicles. Have you tried any Stude-only vendors?

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Some of the vendors sell reprints or CD versions of the M-series shop manual and the parts book. The parts book would immediately answer your question about the cabs -- they are the same, except for the fenders. That book will also tell you every other way that the M5 and the M15 differ.

Studebaker Intl sells M-15 wheel cylinder kits. Part number S-387.

November 21st, 2016, 1:07 am #5

thnx for the reply guys, gonna check out the parts source you mentioned, was gonna try to use the factory brakes and just change the wheels to a one piece for safety reasons, thinkin bout going with a 19.5 off early ford or dodge, and then going a little bit of a low pro to bring the truck down some, for handling and athstetics, love the budd wheels look. will keep you updated . thnx again

November 21st, 2016, 3:39 pm #6

The M16 cab has a different indent in the firewall to accommodate the Commander 6. This would only be a problem if you were trying to use an M5 cab on an M16 frame/drivetrain. You might also notice that some models have a small arc cut out of the lower outside corner of the right and left grills. Again, it doesn't matter as long as you have matching pieces. My "M5" has an M16 cab and cutout grills, neither of which would have been stock. I've got the M5 body tag on it, though! Luckily I needed the extra firewall relief to fit the 259 V8 in there and the grills were the two best ones of several that I had. I keep waiting to encounter an M-series "bolt spotter" to call me on it!