m16 brakes

m16 brakes

November 21st, 2016, 1:36 am #1

going to start on brakes on my m16 as it should be easier with the engine out. Need all wheel cylinders replaced or rebuilt. I assume the rears will need rebuilt, but can you get replacement fronts and master cylinder? - I know lots of times NAPA can surprise you. Was planning to use White Post restorations as Ive heard good things about their work although pricey. Rear shoes look ok but should I replace them anyway while hubs are off? Any suggestions or comments welcome. Thankyou

November 21st, 2016, 1:06 pm #2

Go on line to C&G Ford. You can find new front wheel cylinders there for about $50.00 each. The pistons are different. Use your old ones.

November 21st, 2016, 2:06 pm #3

I have their catalogue but
mine are rusted solid - cant salvage anything

November 22nd, 2016, 11:19 pm #4

Don't write off the cylinders yet. I have seen many that look like garbage until they are taken apart. The easiest way of getting stuck wheel cylinders apart is to get a bolt that will thread into the brake line inlet. Do not bottom the bolt. Drill a hole through the bolt thread the hole to accept a zerk fitting. Using a grease gun, pump the cylinder with grease to get the pistons out. If one piston comes out first, use a C-clamp to hold it in place to keep pressure until the stuck one comes out. I used this procedure when I rebuilt the rear wheel cylinders on my '48 M16. Neal

November 23rd, 2016, 9:58 pm #5

someone on this forum told me about using the greasegun trick to blo out plugged fuel pickup in gas tank. Worked like a charm.