M-15 ID & wheels

M-15 ID & wheels

Frank Poolas
Frank Poolas

February 5th, 2012, 4:14 am #1

I've read Frank Drumhellers post on 1/12/2012 on M-15 ID and I'm confused. My body tag reads, M15-A1 with 274 under that. Serial No. is SM15-853T and Model is M15-20T , Max. Gross weight is 10000. Truck is a Railway Express Delivery. Why are some wheels split rim and some not on my M-15. Please help, Thank you, Frank

vern ediger
vern ediger

February 5th, 2012, 5:23 am #2

17 and 20 inch were split rims, 17.5 19.5 22.5 were tubeless drop center,

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

February 5th, 2012, 1:19 pm #3

I've read Frank Drumhellers post on 1/12/2012 on M-15 ID and I'm confused. My body tag reads, M15-A1 with 274 under that. Serial No. is SM15-853T and Model is M15-20T , Max. Gross weight is 10000. Truck is a Railway Express Delivery. Why are some wheels split rim and some not on my M-15. Please help, Thank you, Frank
The A1 in your body number means it was sold as a chassis-cowl unit without a full cab. Most of the REA trucks from all manufacturers came that way -- the body was built by a separate company.

Your truck could have originally come with either 17" or 20" wheels. Tubeless tires/wheels were not available until the 1950s. It's possible that in the past 60 years, someone has replaced some of the "widow-maker" split rims with the more modern tubeless wheels. Many of the bolt patterns are the same. There would be no problems as long as all the wheels on a given axle were swapped at the same time and differences in hub-centered-vs-stud-centered were accommodated.

Frank Poolas
Frank Poolas

February 6th, 2012, 6:06 pm #4

Skip, thank you, but with that said what year do you think this truck is?

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

February 6th, 2012, 10:10 pm #5

I don't have access to my production data book at the moment, so can't answer your question, but the low serial numbers kinda indicate a 41 or 42. Frank Drumheller may be able to help in the meantime.

Did you try to order a production order for it from the Museum?

Frank Poolas
Frank Poolas

February 7th, 2012, 2:34 am #6

No I did not as I am not aware of this or the procedure to do so. I'm a Studebaker rookie. Please advise, Thank you, frank

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

February 7th, 2012, 6:31 pm #7

Here's the museum's web site, which has their email address and phone numbers. Drop them an email with your vehicle serial number and ask them if they can provide you a copy of the original production order. It will describe exactly how your truck was equipped when it came from the factory. I think they're $40.

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/