K Series Truck production numbers ?

K Series Truck production numbers ?

Richie
Richie

May 1st, 2012, 1:19 am #1

I finally got my K 15 jsut curious on the Vin number with production??

Richie
Richie

May 1st, 2012, 1:37 am #2

4305 in the number

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

May 1st, 2012, 3:27 pm #3

Gross numbers for K series production are in chapter 4 here:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/St ... istory.asp

I might be able to give you more detailed model data later in the week. Don't have access to my literature at the moment.

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

May 1st, 2012, 9:19 pm #4

Glad to see you have it home. Have you pulled the numbers yet and confirmed the year and model? Post us up some more pics when you can please. Thanks and good luck, Steve

Richie
Richie

May 2nd, 2012, 1:54 am #5

yes the vin 4305 dont know the year yet

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

May 2nd, 2012, 8:48 pm #6

I checked my production data book, but one crucial page is missing, so I cannot definitively answer your question. K15 production stared in November 1937 and ran through June 1941. I have K15 production for all years except 1939:
1937: 281
1938: 2012
1939: 5128 total K production, all models
1940: 673
1941: 1374

Given the above, it's highly likely that your truck was built sometime in 1939. Be aware that Stude didn't put much emphasis on the model year of its trucks. For example, K truck production started while J trucks were still being built, and continued to be built well after the introduction of the M series trucks.

Frank Drumheller could certainly answer your question, but he's still recovering from surgery and may not be on line for a while. And buying a copy of the production order from the museum would nail down the exact day your truck was built.

Richie
Richie

May 3rd, 2012, 12:04 am #7

Ok thanks...I have no material for the earlier stuff I need to start collecting it, what ever info I can get my hands on would be great, I am starting my list of parts now since it looks like it will be a longer term project. I do metal work so I will start there first

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

May 3rd, 2012, 12:11 pm #8

There is a single parts book that covers all K10 and K15 trucks. It includes many exploded views of assemblies, which can be useful when working on the truck. Used copies come up on ebay pretty regularly. If you get one you will see that there were almost no changes to the K15 trucks during its years of production. The model year of a particlar truck is largely of interest to DMVs because of more recent laws regarding VINs.