Flatbed backside stuff

Flatbed backside stuff

December 3rd, 2017, 3:55 am #1

Ok, truck sort of runs...sort of stops too...had to plug off the rear brakes...

but for now, I need some lights back there...

been collecting stuff, not sure what all I will use.

Have a single tail light now....

want to put back on the PM triple bee hive red center markers...

got two singles for the outer edges...

have suitable tail lights....might be PMs...

would really like the STOP lettered lights...but damn, those are high....

might like a step or some crash protection....got the DOT specs on that...

so....can you guys post some idea pictures of the back ends of flatbeds....?

would like to hang my long sheet metal STUDEBAKER logo on the back in center...

need to accommodate for the bed hoist...can't be too low

December 3rd, 2017, 11:05 pm #2

I ended up making my own light bar from 1" square steel tubing and sheet metal. The front side has the sheet metal welded to the tubing and the back has the sheet metal mounted via SS screws. There are two vertical tubing sections where the light bar mounts to the angle iron mounting. These two sections have a nut welded inside so that the mounting bolts screw into the light bar. The two angle iron brackets bolt to the frame outside surfaces. Later, when I mounted a hitch I just replaced the angle iron with longed angle iron. All the light fixtures are vintage from ebay and have either LED replacement bulbs or custom replacements I made later to increase brightness. I also added mud flaps to the light bar.

http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/2017/12/light-bar.html

December 4th, 2017, 2:16 am #3

John, that sure is a quality job

December 4th, 2017, 3:03 pm #4

Thanks Dave. Here is the hitch I installed:

http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... hitch.html

December 6th, 2017, 12:08 am #5

I ended up making my own light bar from 1" square steel tubing and sheet metal. The front side has the sheet metal welded to the tubing and the back has the sheet metal mounted via SS screws. There are two vertical tubing sections where the light bar mounts to the angle iron mounting. These two sections have a nut welded inside so that the mounting bolts screw into the light bar. The two angle iron brackets bolt to the frame outside surfaces. Later, when I mounted a hitch I just replaced the angle iron with longed angle iron. All the light fixtures are vintage from ebay and have either LED replacement bulbs or custom replacements I made later to increase brightness. I also added mud flaps to the light bar.

http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/2017/12/light-bar.html
Wow....I did see one picture of your truck before, but the close ups are great....LOVE IT..

I may have to collect the STOP lights...they are way high now on ebay...but, I keep looking

I think I may follow your basic idea....use what I have and go from there...

Really want the STOP lights....and maybe a SLO light too.