Engine run stand

Engine run stand

November 22nd, 2016, 3:04 pm #1

Well, I was finally able to build my "redneck" engine run stand last night---needed it because I couldn't work on dial indicating the bell housing. The engine stand I had made it difficult to work on things---plus on this one I can actually "run" the engine when the time comes. I know, not an expensive one but it works fine for me---plus I just didn't want to dump a bunch of money into something I may never use again.

?t=1479740109

November 22nd, 2016, 3:25 pm #2

I like it!

November 22nd, 2016, 6:34 pm #3

Well, I was finally able to build my "redneck" engine run stand last night---needed it because I couldn't work on dial indicating the bell housing. The engine stand I had made it difficult to work on things---plus on this one I can actually "run" the engine when the time comes. I know, not an expensive one but it works fine for me---plus I just didn't want to dump a bunch of money into something I may never use again.

?t=1479740109
Just a couple pieces of cheap lumber, some decent heavy duty wheels and screws and your in business in an hour or so. Looks like you bolted yours, which is good. But I just used some decent sized screws.

Besides being cheap, stands like these are very stable and easy to roll around too. You can't rotate the block around obviously, but I was just using them for storage anyway, not rebuilding the motor. Definitely is good if you have more than one motor laying around. It is good to have them on wheels so you can move them around as needed and supports them properly too, no just laying on the ground smashing up the oil pan, etc.

November 22nd, 2016, 7:27 pm #4

built mine from front frame section of R truck, can use for 6 and 8 cyl. have radiator mount and exhaust for both and is mounted on wheels

November 22nd, 2016, 7:42 pm #5

Great Idea! I probably would have used something more "permanent" like that if I had planned on doing some more motor work after this project but that is not in the cards right now.

November 23rd, 2016, 6:34 am #6

?t=1479740109
Plus, it's actually pretty high off the ground, at least it looks like anyways.
Very Nice...!

November 23rd, 2016, 12:58 pm #7

?t=1479740109
at an engine stand is photoed below. Had a good friend cutting up a few rust belt frames for scrape and I asked for the forward section of one. Took it to a local high school shop class and had them attach a couple legs to it. Worked well and could have easily made it a test stand.

November 24th, 2016, 4:46 am #8

?t=1479740109
starting your engine before installing it is a good way to spot any troubles that will be harder to fix later.
Hook up some hoses so you can fill the water jackets if not a radiator and run it.
The first start is the best if not the only time you get a chance to break in a new camshaft and tappets.
Oh, tall height and a narrow foot print on the floor... don't yank the throttle, ease into it.
tie downs in a doorframe of a garage might be a good idea too.

I used to build a lot of motorcycle engines for others in the past and a test stand paid back it's building costs many times over.
I was able to check for leaks, oil pressure and do a minor tune before they got installed.
It helps ease the drama and guess work out of the first start once installed.

here's a picture of one of the many that was run on this stand.

November 24th, 2016, 8:09 am #9

?t=1479740109
Wanted to used 2" tube but couldn't find it so I used 1-1/4" instead..... still turned out pretty good and it is still sturdy enough!

December 8th, 2016, 7:05 pm #10

that's a nice one!!