Early vs Late 49 2R5 pics from Vern

Early vs Late 49 2R5 pics from Vern

Matt Burnette
Matt Burnette

October 14th, 2011, 11:34 pm #1

A few posts down the line, Vern says...

the diff in the back , the early has a shallow indent[ about 1/2 deep] and 3 ribs about 8 inches wide in the back, the later has deeper indent and 4 ribs in the back. [about 3/4 inch deep] the cab buck at the museum has both types carved in the back. the frame had a cross member with out the V channel going back to over axle.

Note the difference in the front frame crossmember too.

Gary Hearn
Gary Hearn

October 15th, 2011, 12:49 am #2

Thanks to Vern and Matt I can say I gained a bit of knowledge today.

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

October 15th, 2011, 3:16 am #3

Loren Hoekema has told me about the early differences in the 1949 trucks, especially the back of the cab and center crossmember. This is the first time I've seen the differences illustrated.

Loren is doing research on the very early '49s to document changes to the 2R series made at the factory during 1948. I told him that was a big assignment he had chosen for himself. Of course, it was during this same time frame that some M series features were replaced with true 2R pieces in the early 2R trucks. It really was a transitional time rather than a clean break with the prior series as most new models enjoy.

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

October 15th, 2011, 3:18 am #4

the diff in the back , the early has a shallow indent[ about 1/2 deep] and 3 ribs about 8 inches wide in the back, the later has deeper indent and 4 ribs in the back. [about 3/4 inch deep] the cab buck at the museum has both types carved in the back. the frame had a cross member with out the V channel going back to over axle.

Thanks for sharing these photos with us.

(by the way, you'll always be 'Matthew' to me!)

Frank

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

October 15th, 2011, 11:29 am #5

Learned a lot.

Eric DeRosa
Eric DeRosa

October 15th, 2011, 6:43 pm #6

My truck was made in October of '49. It has the "K" front engine support set up, but I never checked the back of the cab! It does have lever shocks still as opposed to tube, which I know was another running change.

MW
MW

October 15th, 2011, 9:58 pm #7

After having my 2 2R's for about 10 years and being pretty familiar with about every part of them, it is nice to know there are still interesting things to learn about 2R's.

I do believe the lever shocks were still the standard shock for the heavier trucks up well past the 2R's. I think the "airplane" shocks were just an option during at least the earlier years of the 2R's and wasn't just a switch at the factory at some point. Not sure when they finally gave up on the lever shocks for the lighter duty trucks. Maybe somebody can lend some insight on that topic in a new thread.

BTW, my Oct. '49 2R15 has the lever shocks and my '53 2R11 has the "airplane" or tube type. I don't recall offhand on the production orders for the trucks whether they were listed as options of not. Both trucks apparently have the later cabs and the frames have the K member up front.

Rick
Rick

October 15th, 2011, 10:30 pm #8

My '49, s/n R15-9188, built 5/5/49, has a cab with four ribs (cab #70738) and the angled motor mount rails.

Register your 2R truck at http://2rtruck.need-a-geek.com/ It's free!

Ray
Ray

October 16th, 2011, 8:05 pm #9

My 49 2r10 with assembly date of Jan 19 1949 has the old style frame and the 4 rib cab.